Pelipper QC [3/3] writing up soon.

xzern irl

Skeleton.
Overview
########
+Good defensive typing and defensive stats.
+Reliable recovery options.
+Great defogger.
+Resistances to Bug, Fighting, Fire, Steel, Water and immune to ground.
-4x Weakness to electric.
-Abilities are not overly useful.
-Outsped by most sweepers.
-Weak to rocks.

Defensive Defog Support.
########
Name: Defensive Defog Support.
move 1: Defog
move 2: Scald
move 3: Roost
move 4: Toxic / Hurricane / U-Turn
ability: Keen Eye
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold

Moves
========

• Defog is essential on pelipper being one of it's most reliable options and a very good asset to any team.
  • Roost is also rather essential on this set giving it a very reliable recovery option.
  • Scald being an essential offensive move with the chance to get a burn on attackers and on walls.
  • Toxic is a rather good move to have to almost guarantee a status on any other walls, attackers or anything.
  • U-Turn is basic, it gives it the chance to take a hit and deal a small amount of damage and then get a switch to gain the momentum.
  • Hurricane is a good choice for dealing with grass types, dealing huge damage although it's accuracy can let it down.

Set Details
========

• The standard defensie ev spread gives pelipper it's best possible chance to withstand the maximum amount of physical hits.
  • Keen eye is the only ability that should be used due to it being the only one compatible with defog.
  • Leftovers are there give a small amount of passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

• Roost should be used to keep pelipper above 50-60%, being a vital mon to keep for defog and getting a toxic off on said stall mons, otherwise use often.
  • Switch pelipper into pokemon which it can check or counter such as feraligatr or poliwrath. then proceed to use defog to remove hazards or throw a toxic or scald at your opponent. otherwise use u-turn to gain momentum.
  • Pelipper as a defensive wall should rarely switch in a a special attack unless it's resisted and pelipper is at high health it's a bad choice to do so, try switching it in on something that can be clean enough for a roost or defog to go off.
  • Pelipper when used with toxic can be good to get a status off on other walls and stops it being fully walled by seismitoad allowing it to phase this mon quite well.

Team Options
========
  • Defensive grass type pokemon along with offensive fire types can work well with pelipper as a core providing good coverage and switch ins on most typings.
  • Ground types are a great addition to any team with pelipper to take an incoming electric attack and then hit back hard.
  • Pokemon like primeape/sawk or fighting spam in general are an easy switch in for pelipper.

Other Options
########

• Rain dish is not an option due to defog being essential and the incompatibility of the ability and move.
  • A Life Orb, Rain dish set on a rain team may seem gimmicky but it is not completely outdone by it's cousin swanna, also a rather fun set to run over defog.
  • Tailwind is an option to help teammates, but is not practical due to it's short length.
  • Knock Off as another option gives pelipper an advantage against other walls or choiced pokemon allowing it to knock off their item and give it some momentum.
  • Air Slash can be used over Hurricane as a more accurate flying stab.

Checks & Counters
########

**Electric Move Users** Any pokemon with moderately good attack stats and an electric attack can hurt it pretty bad, such as electivire, rotom and lanturn.

**Fast Special Attackers** Most fast special attackers can ohko/2ko pelipper after/without rocks.

**Taunt** Taunt users such as Liepard can ruin this set due to the fact it cannot defog roost or if carrying it toxic.

**Water Absorb** Water Absorb users like seismitoad and Lapras can wall pelipper even if it's carrying air slash/toxic, they aren't really stopped by these and can force you to switch.

**Status** status namely poison/burn can wear down pelipper putting it in easy 2ko range from Pokemon it regularly walls.

Last edited:
this thing doesn't even get Tri Attack what is that gif

Mention Hurricane in moves. It's really nice for a bulky Water-type to be able to do things to Grass-types, but its main moves are generally more important.
  • Roost should be used very sparingly depending on what sort of team you are facing. if stall use it sparingly.
Why do you say this? I honestly haven't used Pelipper that much this gen, but I'd think with its Stealth Rock weakness that you'd end up using Roost quite often. If there's a good reason, be sure to explain it here.

I think Fire-types would be better to mention in Team Options than Vivillon. They have much better synergy with Pelipper and also really appreciate the Defog support.

In OO, I wouldn't even mention Scarf. Literally no reason to use it over Swanna. You could mention a Life Orb Rain Dish set to use on rain teams. Still sounds a bit gimmicky but fun and not wholly outclassed by Swanna.

Because I'd like you to mention Hurricane in Moves, you can cut it from OO and only talk about Air Slash with the higher accuracy being the reason to use it. Still, I think Hurricane is better, which is why I'd rather it be mentioned in Moves.

Good work! Most of my stuff is nitpicky or generally minor, so I'll go ahead and call this QC 1/3 after these changes, smelliott.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
I would mention that it is also weak to rocks, which can hurt while trying to defog, maybe after mentioning its a good defogger. So in write-up it would look something like this: Pelipper is a good defogger, however it is weak to stealth rock and 4x weak to electric. Or something along those lines.

[Set]
I also think the set's 4th move slot should have Toxic first then Air Slash slashed (lol) after it. Hurricane and U-turn in moves, both are alright but tbh I wouldnt want them on a defensive wall, perhaps U-turn for momentum but while using it Air Slash was very useful. The flinch chance against slower mons is great.

[Set Details]
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 249-294 (77 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery So Zangoose is gonna destroy Pelipper after rocks. Pelipper is a good physical wall but Zangoose is an even better wall breaker. Just put something like: Standard defensive spread allows Pelipper to take the maximum amount of physical hits, or something along those lines.

[Usage Tips]
This still needs a good bit of work imo.
Need to remove the point that Hollywood mentioned, it is just a confusing line. If you want a line about Roost it should be something like if at around 60% roost so you can keep pelipper at high health, if above that it isnt necessary.
Add in another line or two about how to use Pelipper, lets see what you can come up with :)

[C&C]
Give some examples for each thing, like for Electric-type users name some like Electivire or Lanturn who doesnt mind take a scald or toxic.
I dont think Revenge killers deserves its own mark under C&C, the one you named falls under electric type users. And special ones fall under fast special attackers, and then hopefully physical ones Pelipper can take on.
I think Water absorb deserves a mention under here, but not 100% sure (QC thoughts?) the main one I'm thinking of is Seismatoad.

[Overview]
I would mention that it is also weak to rocks, which can hurt while trying to defog, maybe after mentioning its a good defogger. So in write-up it would look something like this: Pelipper is a good defogger, however it is weak to stealth rock and 4x weak to electric. Or something along those lines.

[Set]
I also think the set's 4th move slot should have Toxic first then Air Slash slashed (lol) after it. Hurricane and U-turn in moves, both are alright but tbh I wouldnt want them on a defensive wall, perhaps U-turn for momentum but while using it Air Slash was very useful. The flinch chance against slower mons is great.

[Set Details]
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 249-294 (77 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery So Zangoose is gonna destroy Pelipper after rocks. Pelipper is a good physical wall but Zangoose is an even better wall breaker. Just put something like: Standard defensive spread allows Pelipper to take the maximum amount of physical hits, or something along those lines.

[Usage Tips]
This still needs a good bit of work imo.
Need to remove the point that Hollywood mentioned, it is just a confusing line. If you want a line about Roost it should be something like if at around 60% roost so you can keep pelipper at high health, if above that it isnt necessary.
Add in another line or two about how to use Pelipper, lets see what you can come up with :)

[C&C]
Give some examples for each thing, like for Electric-type users name some like Electivire or Lanturn who doesnt mind take a scald or toxic.
I dont think Revenge killers deserves its own mark under C&C, the one you named falls under electric type users. And special ones fall under fast special attackers, and then hopefully physical ones Pelipper can take on.
I think Water absorb deserves a mention under here, but not 100% sure (QC thoughts?) the main one I'm thinking of is Seismatoad.
Updated to suit this. Montsegur

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would add to the usage tips that scald can also be used to predict and potentially burn incoming defiant defog blockers, aka pawniard and primeaple.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm assuming you just copied from the one you are doing in NU lol so everything looks pretty solid.
-I would say your team options needs some work though. As you can consolidate the first and third point into a fire / water / grass core. I would give some Pokemon that Pelipper likes to switch into fighting spam for, like Tauros.
-You mention air slash in oo remove that as its on the main set.
-I would mention status under C&C as it can wear Pelipper down quite quickly, and can even cause a pokemon to be able to 2HKO Pelipper.
Just gonna copy my post from PU, implement everything that is relevant.

Do the above and QC 2/3

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Defensive Defog Support.
########
Name: Defensive Defog Support.
move 1: Defog
move 2: Scald
move 3: Roost
move 4: Toxic / Air Slash / U-Turn
ability: Keen Eye
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 Hp / 252 Defense / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold

Moves
========
(Remove until 1 spacing)

• Defog is essential on pelipper being one of it's most reliable options and a very good asset to any team.
  • Roost is also rather essential on this set giving it a very reliable recovery option.
  • Scald being an essential offensive move with the chance to get a burn on attackers and on walls.
  • Toxic is a rather good move to have to almost guarantee a status on any other walls, attackers or anything.
  • U-Turn is basic, it gives it the chance to take a hit and deal a small amount of damage and then get a switch to gain the momentum.
  • Hurricane is a good choice for dealing with grass types, dealing huge damage although it's accuracy can let it down.
Air Slash is not mentioned in Moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)