Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
thanks again :) i actually didn't go with protect because i thought the thunderwave would work... i know about mega pokemons stats not changing until the next turn and stuff but didn't think it applied to status effects
It applies to everything. Turn order is always decided at the beginning of the turn, and nothing (except Quash) can modify the turn order once both players have selected their moves.

Which attack should Dual Screen Espeon run? Since 3 moves are always Screens + Baton Pass. The attacking move can be either HP Fighting, Dazzling Gleam or Psyshock? Which one is the best? Also, is it viable to not run an attacking move? It cant be Taunted so last move can be either Calm Mind or Morning Sun.

Which attack should Dual Screen Espeon run? Since 3 moves are always Screens + Baton Pass. The attacking move can be either HP Fighting, Dazzling Gleam or Psyshock? Which one is the best? Also, is it viable to not run an attacking move? It cant be Taunted so last move can be either Calm Mind or Morning Sun.
Yawn. It acts as a pseudo-phasing move, allowing you in to bring in a Pokemon safely

I understand that the speed mechanics of Pokemon currently lock the turn order in at the start of a turn.

However, does anything else using changeable values get locked in? For example, say I have Pinsir vs. Ferrothorn. Pinsir Mega Evolves to set up, Ferrothorn Gyro Balls. does Gyro Ball use Pinsir's pre-Mega speed (Base 85) or Post Mega speed (105)?

And what about weight for something like Heavy Slam?

I understand that the speed mechanics of Pokemon currently lock the turn order in at the start of a turn.

However, does anything else using changeable values get locked in? For example, say I have Pinsir vs. Ferrothorn. Pinsir Mega Evolves to set up, Ferrothorn Gyro Balls. does Gyro Ball use Pinsir's pre-Mega speed (Base 85) or Post Mega speed (105)?

And what about weight for something like Heavy Slam?
If Ferro uses gyro ball on a mega pinsir that mega evolved in the same turn, it'll use the base speed (85) because stats update after mega evolving.

Heavy slam hits harder if the user is heavier than the opponent.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's a really interesting question, I'll test it out with a Beedrill on PS as soon as I can.

edit : Yes, Gyro Ball does indeed use the Pokemon's post-MEvo speed. (in other words, Beedrill did not live that Gyro Ball)

Last edited:
If Ferro uses gyro ball on a mega pinsir that mega evolved in the same turn, it'll use the base speed (85) because stats update after mega evolving.

Heavy slam hits harder if the user is heavier than the opponent.
That's a really interesting question, I'll test it out with a Beedrill on PS as soon as I can.

edit : Yes, Gyro Ball does indeed use the Pokemon's post-MEvo speed. (in other words, Beedrill did not live that Gyro Ball)
Which is to say, Lunistrius is wrong here and mega-evo stats update immediately, it's just turn order that doesn't update.

We also know that ability changes do not affect turn order; Banette will not have Prankster timing on its compatible moves for the first turn unless it's a Prankster Banette.

Which is to say, Lunistrius is wrong here and mega-evo stats update immediately, it's just turn order that doesn't update.

We also know that ability changes do not affect turn order; Banette will not have Prankster timing on its compatible moves for the first turn unless it's a Prankster Banette.
Oh my bad then xD I thought that they updated after the turn ended but I mixed that up with abilities. Thanks =)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are good teammates for Specially Defensive Jirachi? I'm currently working on a team around it, because it does a great job of handling stuff like mega gardevoir, greninja, lati twins, Clefable, etc.

What are good teammates for Specially Defensive Jirachi? I'm currently working on a team around it, because it does a great job of handling stuff like mega gardevoir, greninja, lati twins, Clefable, etc.
Possibly bulky fairy types and pokemon like gliscor that can get up rocks and wall threats to Jirachi.

Anything that can deal with Landoruses and Heatran makes good partners. Gliscor is really good as a partner. RotomW is a pretty good partner, and so is RestTalk Gyara.

So, I'm running a Mega Absol on my team that recently made it to about 1700. I currently am running Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Superpower and Ice Beam. I'm debating running SD, as I've found a lot of opportunities to set up and sweep teams, but since I run Ice Beam, I often miss out on sweeps. If I run SD, then I get walled pretty hard by Lando-T. My question is, which move is better? (Don't tell me to run a different Pokemon entirely, please. I built this team for Mega Absol and I don't intend to replace her.)

So, I'm running a Mega Absol on my team that recently made it to about 1700. I currently am running Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Superpower and Ice Beam. I'm debating running SD, as I've found a lot of opportunities to set up and sweep teams, but since I run Ice Beam, I often miss out on sweeps. If I run SD, then I get walled pretty hard by Lando-T. My question is, which move is better? (Don't tell me to run a different Pokemon entirely, please. I built this team for Mega Absol and I don't intend to replace her.)
I prefer Ice Beam, as the ability to go mixed gives Mega Absol its small niche over other SD + priority users, like Mega Scizor, and I think it also provides better team support, as it gives you the ability to remove Dark weak pokemon like Gengar, as well as Gliscor/non-Scarfed Landorus-T/Landorus. Come to think of it, Jirachi would be a very good partner, as it gets wrecked by all of those pokemon...

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Things that handle Ground-, Dark- and Ghost-types, such as Mandibuzz, Specially Defensive Gliscor, Chesnaught, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn and Heatran :]

So, I understand that the set isn't in the analysis, but it's in the dex, but I'm going to ask of its viable anyways. Just to make sure.

Is Choice specs Omastar viable? It seems to be working really well for me, but it's not in the analysis Dx

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, I understand that the set isn't in the analysis, but it's in the dex, but I'm going to ask of its viable anyways. Just to make sure.

Is Choice specs Omastar viable? It seems to be working really well for me, but it's not in the analysis Dx
Oh yeah, definitely viable. Great wall breaker on rain teams.

Choice Specs Omastar is in the analysis .-. and it works out pretty great ^-^ especially on rain teams with swift swim.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Right here is what is in the analysis =)
Omastar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass/Scald
- Scald/Surf
Another viable move on Omastar is Knock Off. It doesn't hit hard, I know, but it's used as a chansey lure, such that the next time chansey tries to switch in on star...

252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey in Rain: 310-366 (48.2 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If I wanted to make a thread in OU, where would I go to get it approved?

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I didn't really know where else to put it. :/

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I didn't really know where else to put it. :/
I always get my threads approved by an OU moderator before posting them. Just pm a mod with your idea, and they'll almost always approve of it.

Although you dont strictly need approval if you know the forum rules well enough its best to always ask a mod before making one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)