Metagame ORAS LC / new moves and abilities discussion

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by frog macle

...Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Basically just a thread to discuss the moveset and ability changes ORAS gave us, and how they will impact the meta.

Here's a list of the moveset and ability changes:

(Keep in mind that there may be some more Pokemon that gets new moves when the final version of ORAS is released. There's probably a good amount of stuff here I have missed too, so please tell me!)

New moves:

Amaura - New moves: Hyper Voice, Stealth Rock, Earth Power, Water Pulse
Archen - New moves: Zen Headbutt
Binacle - New moves: Stealth Rock
Bunnelby - New moves: Last Resort, Iron Head
Carvanha - New moves: Poison Fang
Chespin - New moves: ThunderPunch, Drain Punch, Super Fang, Superpower
Clauncher - New moves: Dragon Pulse
Ferroseed - New moves: Knock Off
Fletchling - New moves: Heat Wave
Gastly - New moves: Knock Off compatible with Generation 6 moves
Goomy - New moves: Outrage, Iron Tail
Gothita - New moves: Trick compatible with Shadow Tag
Honedge - New moves: Magnet Rise
Inkay - New moves: Knock Off
Noibat - New moves: Heat Wave, Dragon Pulse
Pancham - New moves: Drain Punch, Knock Off, Iron Head, Gunk Shot, Covet, Dual Chop, Low Kick, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Focus Punch
Pumpkaboo - New moves: Synthesis, Foul Play
Skrelp - New moves: Gunk Shot
Tirtouga - New moves: Zen Headbutt
Tyrunt - New moves: Iron Head, Superpower

New abilities:

Skrelp - New ability: Adaptability
Snivy - New ability: Contrary

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some quick thoughts:

Amaura looks like a great pokemon again. Mostly just because Earth Power allowing it to hit Pawniard and Chinchou however.

I'm really liking the idea over Iron Head on Bunny instead of Wild Charge; the lack of recoil, the ability to hit fairies a little harder, flinch chance, and the neural hit against Pumpkaboo seems rather nice. Last Resort is also fun sounding, 3HKOing defensive Tirt.

Pancham is now amazing as everyone should know. Don't know if I would ever run this besides just the sake of using it however, since Mienfoo is Mienfoo and Timburr has priority over Pancham. Nevertheless, Drain Punch is a fantastic addition to any Fighting-type.

Knock Off on Inkay means I will actually use Inkay at some point as yay, good Dark STAB! May be enough to give this a boost in usage.

Lastly, Pumpkaboo just got so much better making Phantump lose its only and rather terrible niche of having Rest + Natural Cure. This thing will be annoying.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Keep in mind that Pancham also gets Gunk Shot, which will 2HKO Spritzee.

I think Pancham will be our most improved Pokemon this generation split, it already had Timburr-like stats, all it needed was the moves that Timburr got, and bar Mach Punch, it has all of those plus the intriguing Parting Shot which I haven't used too much yet, but I think could make a deadly addition to VoltTurn teams.

I really hope Skrelp gets Adaptability this time around. It could run an attacking spread with Gunk Shot, Aqua Tail, Play Rough and a filler move with its fantastic typing defensively.

Some more opinions:

It's good to see Clauncher actually got another -pulse move, but Dragon Pulse won't do much since dragons aren't too relevant in LC. :/

Pumpkaboo seems amazing now that it has Synthesis as it can have more reliable recovery other than Leech Seed or Berry Juice.

The addition of Hyper Voice for Amaura is amazing with Refrigerate and now doesn't have to rely on Nature Power as a move benefiting from its ability. Having access to set up stealth rocks also makes Amaura a nice support mon and Earth Power and Water Pulse are nice coverage moves.

Chespin getting Drain Punch seems like a good addition for enhancing recovery and patching up some of Chespin's weak points.

Knock Off Inkay sounds really fun due to Inkay having access to Contrary + Superpower. With attack and defense boosts, Inkay could be a destructive mon spamming Knock Off.

I am amazed with Pancham getting Drain Punch and Knock Off, two of the moves that the LC community wanted it to get for so long. Parting Shot is also a fun way to use Pancham as you can Knock Off your opponent's item and then say bye with Parting Shot. Gunk Shot is also a really nice addition to take down incoming fairies. Statistically, Pancham is better than Timburr, but Timburr has the niche of having priority and Mienfoo is still versatile and more of a threat. I'll definitely use Pancham in LC once ORAS comes out.

So aerow wants me to post about Trick on Goth.

With Trick, Gothita gets an option that can universally support by messing up a key pokemon. In LC, Eviolite/ Berry Juice are crucial items to the vast majority of the tier, and being able to come in and ensure that the Pokemon is cripples allows for Goth to open the opponent up even further. It gives goth an extra bit of kick before it's killed, allowing it to always pull its weight on a team. Trick's an improvement, but it's not a game changing move like people are thinking it will be.

I'm just excited because it makes my team better

I think Amaura, Pancham (duh), Inkay, Chespin, and Pumpkaboo are the mons that got huge buffs from this. Amaura gets SR support, a stronger Refrigerate STAB (that hits behind subs), and great coverage with Earth Power. Pumpkaboo, already the best spinblocker in the tier, gets reliable recovery in Synthesis, so I expect to skyrocket in usage. Chespin looks really good as well with synthesis /drain punch, and superfang could be amazing to wear down opponents and stall them out with leech seed/drain punch. Inkay and Pancham got amazing boosts, but those are rather obvious and don't need explaining. I actually really like the fact that Ferroseed has K off, despite the fact that it makes no sense. Ferro can now set rocks, paralyze the opposing team, stall with leech seed, AND remove eviolites and berry juices. Great support mon already, but giving it knock off makes Ferroseed even better.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Amaura - New moves: Hyper Voice, Stealth Rock, Earth Power, Water Pulse​
Pancham - New moves: Drain Punch, Knock Off, Iron Head, Gunk Shot
Gothita - New moves: Trick
Stunky - New moves: Play Rough compatible with Sucker Punch
Finally we have a good Ground Move to utilize and Hyper Voice hits a wee bit harder than Natural Power for half the PP and it nails through subs. SR is interesting on non scarf sets and Water Pulse only hits Rocks / Fire but Earth Power hits all of those + Steel. The only change is that it hits Ground Types but that's redundant with Ice STAB.
SR is an interesting choice on the Scarf Switcheroo set giving it more utility with the cost of freeing up a slot used for coverage.
Iron Head i dont see getting much usage as EQ / Return covers Rock / Fairy. Last Resort can be an interesting STAB option since it's hitting MUCH HARDER than Return albeit for less PP. Thief / EQ / QA / Last Resort seems hot and easy to bust an unprepared team late game
OH MY GOD STOP BEING SEXY NOW Thunderpunch is slightly irrelevant since Seed bomb + Rock Slide hits all the water types in LC but Drain Punch oh my god get rekt. The Bulk Up set is going to be about the same to be honest. I dont see a huge amount of usefulness for Drain Punch since Seed Bomb + Rock Slide nails all switchins. Belly Drum might see use for it tbh. Superpower aint gettin shit.
Oh joy Dragon Pulse, lets abuse Mega Launcher. I dont know what Clauncher wants to run tbh. I guess more reason to run LO + Web support but im not convinced DPulse is good enough to be an attacking move to abuse rather because it doesnt add much
Knock Off is going to give poor Ferro 4mss much more than it already has. But a really great move to have too
Heat Wave is nothing when you have Overheat sorry.
Pancham literally got the right to be called a Fighting Type receiving Drain Punch and Knock Off. I do see that deciding between Scrappy Storm Throw vs Iron Fist Drain Punch will be tough overall since one hits switch ins harder but the other is good for longevity. Also Gunk Shot now helps Pancham get past fairies hooray!
Ugh you couldnt get something more useful could you? ;; rip in peace gooms
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS TRICK (but what if Trick gives it 4mss now and it has to choose what it wants to not nail as it traps)
Knock Off is sexy STAB and will help push it up a wee bit higher. Scarf and OTR will benefit greatly from this move.
Heat Wave sorta helps i guess but it has no place on the Scarf / Specs Switcheroo sets unless you dont wanna have U-Turn
Synthesis is literally the best thing it could have gotten. Foul Play not so much.
When are you getting Adapt?
Play Rough + Sucker Punch is godlike but not getting Knock Off. Forshame...

Iron Head might be a better option over Poison Fang to nail Fairies and Superpower is Superpower. The only thing Superpower hits is Pawn / Ferro but already has access to EQ / Fire Fang which dont lower atk / def. Albeit Superpower might see it's way on a scarf set so who knows.

EDIT: im dum and had to fix shit
EDIT 2: forgot tyrunt lewl

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok first off, expect a semi-big post, but here it is...my thoughts on the new tutor moves for the LC mons (Italics for major moves):

Amaura - New moves: Hyper Voice, Stealth Rock, Earth Power, Water Pulse
Amaura finally has a decent way to hit Chinchou and Pawniard and Ground is great coverage to couple with its Ice STAB. Hyper Voice is a decent alternative to Nature Power (which turns to Tri Attack) since although you lose the 20% to grab a status, you gain the ability to hit behind Subs (which is very useful imo). Water Pulse is semi-redundant since Ice takes out the Ground types while Earth Power takes out the Rock types.

Stealth Rock is pretty decent but unfortunately there are better Stealth Rock setters in LC and Binacle is a great SS sweeper and doesn't tend to have the time to set up rocks. And if you want a defensive Water/Rock type to set rocks, Tirtouga is a better choice due to Solid Rock and better bulk.
Oh sweet bunny. Why couldn't you get Knock Off like your evo, Diggersby? Anyways, Last Resort is an amazing STAB but unfortunately it forces you to use all other mvoes before it can be used which might be a bit hard pressed for Bunny to do as it is frail. Iron Head is a great move, allowing Bunny to 2HKO Spritzee with LO (228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Iron Head vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 16-21 (59.2 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and Wild Charge means Bunny is worn down more easily while Iron Head has no recoil and a nifty chance of flinch.
ThunderPunch could be cool for Chespin, however Seed Bomb + Rock Slide covers everything that would be hit by ThunderPunch and as such there is little reason to run it. Drain Punch is a great move for it to have, offering decent recovery and damage, although Chespin already had Synthesis; Drain Punch allows Chespin to hit Pawn really hard and Steel types that resists the combo on Seed Bomb + Rock Slide. Super Fang can be super useful as halving Pokemon's HP in LC is decent, however it might not be worth giving up a moveslot that can be of value to run Spikes, Leech Seed, etc. Superpower would be nice if it didn't lower Attack and Defense by 1, but it could work with a Bulk Up set as a decent nuke compared to Drain Punch.
Dragon Pulse is a decent move to learn especially since Clauncher has Mega Launcher, however in LC, Dragons are not all that relevant and Clauncher isn't that great of a mon to begin with. And since Dragon Pulse is walled by Fairies, this doesn't provide decent coverage that Clauncher would need to hit the LC meta although it is boosted by Mega Launcher.
Knock Off couldn't have come at a better time for Ferroseed. He loves the fact that now he has tw ways to cripple the opponent by either paralyzing them via Thunder Wave or making them losing their items via Knock Off. Although it is more useful for its utility, rather than the power boost it got from Gen 6, it is still a great move for Ferroseed to run. Overall, I can easily see a set consisting of Knock Off, Spikes, Rocks, Bullet Seed, giving Ferro a way to hit the Water types it tends to wall whilst also predicting Volt Switches/U-turns and using Knock Off to make the incoming poke lose its item.
I see no reason this should be ran over Overheat. Overheat is a nuke and while Heat Wave doesn't come with the -2 SpA drop, Heat Wave doesn't have the power that Overheat has to offer. And since Overheat is used as a nuke on Fletchling to wear down/get rid of its checks, I see no reason that Heat Wave will be ran.
Pancham - New moves: Drain Punch, Knock Off, Iron Head, Gunk Shot
All the tutor moves that Pancham got were of an exceptional help for him. Drain Punch, first off, gives it amazing recovery and a way to compete with Timburr (although Timburr has slightly better HP and priority, Pancham has better bulk and slightly better Atk and Speed). Knock Off is an amazing utility move and is a decent coverage move to hit the Psychic type switch ins and to get rid of the opposing mon's item. Along with Mold Breaker, Pancham is also able to break through the abilities of Shellos and Trubbish (i.e. Sticky Hold) and Knock off their items, which means there will be no safe switch-ins for Knock Off and the opponent will for sure have a mon with no item. Iron Head and Gunk Shot can be great coverage to hit the Fairies in LC (180+ Atk Pancham Gunk Shot vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 14-18 (51.8 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) however it might be strapped to run it as it will also want to run Circle Throw (with Mold Breaker) in hopes to phaze Abra in and break its Sash if hazards are up since Mold Breaker negates Magic Guard.
Oh Goomy, why couldn't you have gotten something more useful. To be honest, although this little guy gotten some tutor moves, Dragons in LC, in general, are not relevant and as such with the lack of good tutor mvoes, I doubt these moves are gonna effect Goomy's usage.
Gothita - New moves: Trick
Omfg, this was like the best move for Gothita to get. Now she can do what her evos use to do (before koko banned Shadow Tag in UU and as such in the subsequent tiers below). She can easily trap a wall or any mon that loves their item and Trick them something useless to them while possibly gaining an Eviolite or Berry Juice in return. This was the perfect tutor move for Gothita to get.
This seemed inevitable to be honest. This tutor move just makes Inkay even more viable as an easy set of Knock Off, Psycho Cut, Superpower, and Coverage/Filler can work to Inkay's advantage. I would venture to say that even a Berry Juice set can be viable to give Inkay recovery whilst allowing it to set up with Superpower.
Heat Wave is a decent move for Noibat, allowing it to have some way around Steel- types that wall its STAB combo. This is also nice since its evo learns Flamethrower but it doesn't so it finally has a decent coverage move. Dragon Pulse is a more reliable Dragon STAB move but Draco Meteor is a decent nuke and Noibat won't tend to stay in more than 1 turn so Dragon Pulse is more reliable but Draco Meteor has a ton more power.
Synthesis is a godsend to Pumpkaboo as it finally has reliable recovery which means it no longer needs Leech Seed for recovery. It also makes itself standout from the only other Ghost/Grass in LC, which is Phantump, as Phantump didn't get Synthesis. Foul Play is an ok tutor move but in all fairness, Will-o-Wisp is a better move and Foul Play isn't as effective with burned mons, lol.
This guy needs Adaptability and then I would say this thing could finally be viable, but until then *sigh*. Gunk Shot is a great Poison STAB and it hits hard (even harder with Adaptability but w/e). Overall, glad to see it get Gunk Shot but without Adaptability this guy will still linger in the depths of LC.
Stunky - New moves: Play Rough compatible with Sucker Punch
Play Rough is a decent coverage move as Dark + Fairy has decent coverage, however Stunky is still a niche mon. Why couldn't you have gotten Knock Off for god's sake. I mean Play Rough + Sucker Punch is nice, but it would've been a hell of a lot better if it had gotten Knock Off from the tutors.
Iron Head is a decent move that Tyrunt can use to hit Fairies hard, however it is already pressed for mvoeslots with its STABs, DD, and a move to abuse Strong Jaw with. Also with Iron Head, Tyrunt can be easily walled by Steel types. Superpower may alleviate this, however as stated earlier, the Attack and Defense drop is not ideal in LC.​

Last edited:

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here's some more stuff that I have missed:

Carvanha: Poison Fang
Gastly: Knock Off compatible with Generation 6 moves
Honedge: Magnet Rise
Archen: Zen Headbutt
Pancham gets many more moves than I thought; Covet, Dual Chop, Low Kick, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Focus Punch

Also, if someone wonder where I find this stuff, take a look at the links here.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's some more stuff that I have missed:

Carvanha: Poison Fang
Gastly: Knock Off compatible with Generation 6 moves
Honedge: Magnet Rise
Archen: Zen Headbutt
Pancham gets many more moves than I thought; Covet, Dual Chop, Low Kick, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Superpower, Zen Headbutt, Focus Punch

Also, if someone wonder where I find this stuff, take a look at the links here.
Oh ho ho... Looks like you'll be getting past Spritzee / Cottonee without trouble now.
Oh boy Knock Off... You've had that forever and no one is gunna run that since you 2hko everything with your stabs + sucker + hp fight.
Magnet Rise just adds more 4mss. Nothing to say.
ZHB hits nothing else that Acrofuggit does. WASTEFUL.
Pancham is a short way from rising to B with all these gifts from blessed GF. 4mss be with you/

Well, there's not much else i can add here thats not already been discussed. Well, other than to curse GameFreak for not giving Froakie Gunk Shot and Dark Pulse like they did his evos.... GameFreak really hates giving LC mons fun toys to play with, dont they?

Also, Jac, I think it's clear to see Pancham is easily a B+ / A- mon now. It has, arguably, the best pivoting move in Parting Shot, psuedo-reliable recovery in Drain Punch, Knock Off for incredible utility, and it can run some sort of filler move for the last slot, which will probably end up being Gunk Shot. And i didn't even mention baby panda's Timburr-like bulk yet... Pancham for fucking DAYS!!

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Pancham can now in theiory beat Foongus, but I don't think its main movesets will allow this. ZhB is also neat for hitting Fighting-types. Elemental Punches aren't that much of a thing, imo, cus of Stone Edge; unless you hate accuracy and wants to hit Foongus, you would always go for Stone Edge. In all honesty, Pancham could end outclassing Timburr; as I've seen in this thread, there can be 1 set for each ability, but I'm sure Pancham versality could go even beyond; finnaly, FREAKING IRON FIST SUBPUNCH AND TO ADD ON THAT KNOCK OFF GOTTA KO EVERYTHING!!!

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Superpower Inkay under Trick Room will be absolutely frightening with Knock Off. It's stellar coverage and Knock Off will kill just about everything that's holding an item after it's got one or two Superpower boosts under it's belt. I'm also excited that Stunky finally gets Play Rough because it can now be a decent switch-in on Mienfoo and Timburr. Fire Blast and Sludge Bomb just really serve no purpose, and considering Fighting-types are the primary switches if Pursuit/Sucker Punch are mispredicted on Gastly and Abra, Play Rough is what Stunky needed to up its value in game. I hope people don't overhype the Knock Off epidemic, though, because Ferroseed gets it but it'll do little to improve its utility. Ferroseed is already great and will suffer from 4MSS if it has so many options. Knock Off is a great versatility addition but it'll have too much to do, unfortunately.

I love that Bunnelby gets more coverage moves, a real blessing. Fletchling getting Heat Wave is also pointless because Overheat's power and similar accuracy just makes it the overall better choice. It isn't meant to stay in and keep firing off Overheats, anyway, and the drop in power is significant enough to rule out Heat Wave as all that potent in comparison.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pancham can now in theiory beat Foongus, but I don't think its main movesets will allow this. ZhB is also neat for hitting Fighting-types. Elemental Punches aren't that much of a thing, imo, cus of Stone Edge; unless you hate accuracy and wants to hit Foongus, you would always go for Stone Edge. In all honesty, Pancham could end outclassing Timburr; as I've seen in this thread, there can be 1 set for each ability, but I'm sure Pancham versality could go even beyond; finnaly, FREAKING IRON FIST SUBPUNCH AND TO ADD ON THAT KNOCK OFF GOTTA KO EVERYTHING!!!
Timburr gets iron fist subpunch, but also gets mach punch making timburr better at this role imo. Pancham has to play to its advantages, and iron fist is basically outclassed by any iron fist timburr set. Tbh now it gets knock off, scrappy is a lot worse as well, since gastly and floon already resist fighting - it could be useful for pumpkaboo, but it still outspeed the pumpkin and hits it with knock off. I think Mold Breaker is by far the best pancham set, allowing it to hit sturdy mons, hit evio tirtouga harder and knocking off trubbish.

As for the main set, it'll probably be a bulky mold breaker set with drain punch, knock off, parting shot, gunk shot. Scrappy+circle throw, parting shot, drain punch and knock off will also be a decent bulky set for phazing and aiding set up. Scarf seems okay, thanks to parting shot+mold breaker, but i'm not sure if 15 speed max is quite fast enough, you sorta wanna be 16 speed to get the jump on scarf mag, +2 tirtouga and scraggy.
Bulk Up also seems outclassed by timburr cos mach punch so i wouldn't bother running that. unless you wanna use gunk shot to take out spritzee easier, but i'd rather have mach punch>gunk shot on a bulk up mon.

pancham has loads of new moves, but i don't think 4mss will ever be an issue. all it needs is drain punch, knock off, gunk shot/cirlce throw, parting shot. stone edge/ice punch will be rare niche moves to hit fletcling switchins but will never be that useful.

At the end of the day though, mach punch means timburr is still better cos prio is amazing. but if you're not bothered about priority, pancham usually outclasses it.

@Anatar Sucker Punch is a tutor move in ORAS, again. Play Rough is an egg move. This means that a moveset consisting of Sucker Punch + Play Rough will now be legal.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Awesome thread. :) Here in this post are my thoughts on the new additions in their entirety.

Pancham @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 5
EVs: 180 Atk / 100 Def / 212 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot / Zen Headbutt
- Bulk Up / Zen Headbutt / Circle Throw / Parting Shot

This set is going to be very popular after ORAS comes out. Timburr's advantage over Pancham is Mach Punch, but other than that, Pancham is superior. It's faster, it can 2HKO Eviolite Spritzee, it has access to Parting Shot and Circle Throw, and it will also be the only Pokemon in Little Cup that can remove Trubbish's Berry Juice via Mold Breaker Knock Off. Zen Headbutt is an option for punishing Croagunk, a notable threat that will otherwise 100% win against Pancham. Unfortunately, this is the only Pokemon I see REALLY climbing the viability rankings as a result of these new moves being added in ORAS.

My thoughts on everything else:

Amaura: Earth Power is probably the best possible coverage move Amaura could have gotten, as Steel-types pretty much auto-win against it in just about any scenario. Stealth Rock has much better users and Water Pulse is completely unneeded if Amaura has Ice + Ground coverage. Hyper Voice is an interesting new option to use with Refrigerate, but it has to compete with Nature Power (Tri Attack). Hyper Voice has slightly higher power and can hit through Substitute, but Nature Power (Tri Attack) has a nice 20% chance to inflict paralysis/burn/freeze and also bypasses Sucker Punch, making it fail, due to Nature Power being listed as a non-attacking move even though it converts into one. Even with the addition of Earth Power, I don't expect Amaura to increase a whole lot in viability, but it will definitely be a better Pokemon than it was.

Archen: Zen Headbutt is a cool addition for Archen but is totally useless for it because it already has Acrobatics for Fighting-types and Earthquake for Poison-types.

Binacle: There is absolutely no reason to run Stealth Rock on Binacle when Support Tirtouga exists.

Bunnelby: Last Resort from Huge Power Bunnelby is an absolute nightmare that comes with a few much-needed limitations; it would be totally broken if it could use this move with Choice Scarf, but fortunately, it cannot. Also, using Last Resort without a second Normal-type attack would leave Bunnelby unable to hit as hard as it wants at first, and it also means that it can't use U-turn on the same set, which is a huge drawback. Maybe a set with just Return and Last Resort can be used, in which Bunnelby is designed to finish off something with Return and then sweep with Last Resort, but the fact that Normal resists and especially Ghost-types like Gastly exist will make this a waste a lot of the time and will absolutely require Sticky Web and Pursuit support from the likes of Pawniard or Stunky. Iron Head is a much better option in Bunnelby's fourth slot than Wild Charge, as it still OHKOes Archen and Gastly, but with no recoil. The flinch chance is also nice.

Carvanha: Poison Fang is an instant OHKO on Cottonee, a Pokemon that previously could beat Carvanha easily. Unfortunately, it will have a hard time finding a moveslot for this move and it has absolutely no viable use outside of hitting Cottonee. Waterfall hits all other Fairy-types harder.

Chespin: Chespin is one of my favorite Pokemon in the current metagame, and I'm excited that it will be getting some new options, but Drain Punch is the only thing that's really worth talking about. To be honest, the Bulk Up + Synthesis combo lets Chespin set up on Pawniard and beat it with Seed Bomb anyway (unless Pawniard gets a LOT of hax), but Drain Punch is an easier way to take it down and will find more viable use on Chespin sets that do not include Bulk Up, as Seed Bomb and Rock Slide are all that set really needs and Ponyta 100% beats it no matter what. Thunder Punch is totally redundant when Chespin already has Grass + Rock coverage, and Super Fang is unneeded because Chespin needs setup, recovery, and two attacks. There is no reason to use Superpower and lower its physical stats when Chespin gets Drain Punch.

Clauncher: Dragon Pulse gets the boost from Mega Launcher but is totally useless, because it is only super effective on one type that's extremely uncommon and bad in general in Little Cup. Furthermore, Clauncher has access to Ice Beam, which hits Dragon-types as well as 3 other types for super effective damage. Nothing gained here, really.

Ferroseed: If you thought this thing was annoying before, that's nothing compared to how annoying it's going to be. KNOCK OFF FERROSEED? REALLY? Sure, it's going to be good, but it's going to be probably the most annoying thing Little Cup as ever seen. It has way too many disruptive options already and now it has arguably the best move in the game in its arsenal. I'm rather disappointed because of how overdone Ferroseed will be with Knock Off. It's too much... not unmanageable but yea, insert "I am disgusted" face here. Eww.

Fletchling: Heat Wave's only advantage over Overheat is that it's spammable, but Fletchling has no need to spam a special Fire-type move. Additionally, Heat Wave never OHKOes Ferroseed. This isn't a very good addition.

Gastly: I don't see Knock Off being used on a Gastly set at all. It's not a physical attacker and it doesn't have the bulk the put up with being hit after removing an item. The most it can do is use Knock Off on a predicted switch, but it's risky, it clogs up the moveset, and it's just better off attacking.

Goomy: Lol

Gothita: Trick is now compatible with Shadow Tag. This will make Gothita able to cripple enemies with its Choice Scarf set, which is a great addition for it.

Honedge: Magnet Rise temporarily removes Honedge's Ground weakness but is not nearly enough to salvage its nonviable standing in the tier.

Inkay: Knock Off is probably the best addition Inkay could have gotten, but even with it, I don't expect it to be that much more viable.

Noibat: Dragon Pulse is a spammable Dragon-type STAB attack as opposed to Draco Meteor, but has horrible coverage and doesn't hurt enough. Heat Wave lets Noibat finally be able to hit Steel-types for super effective damage, but it won't be able to run that as well as two STAB attacks, Switcheroo, and U-turn on one set. This is a fun thing to play with, and it's going to be better than what it was, but it's not going to be that much more impressive with Heat Wave.

Pancham: As outlined in my above set, Drain Punch and Knock Off are highly significant for Pancham. However, of all the other new moves it gets, I don't think any of the other ones will have any use outside of Focus Punch, which can be used in tandem with Substitute and will hit extremely hard with STAB and Iron Fist.

Pumpkaboo: It doesn't have much use for Foul Play, but Synthesis is a very good addition for Pumpkaboo. Synthesis + Will-O-Wisp will let it easily wall a ton of physically inclined Pokemon, especially Drilbur, which Pumpkaboo only fails to counter if it has both Life Orb and Shadow Claw. Pumpkaboo is probably the best switch-in to Drilbur in the game, especially if hazards are used, because it blocks Drilbur's Rapid Spin and then forces it out. Pumpkaboo still has to be wary of a handful of important threats, though, including Fletchling, Pawniard, and especially Ponyta.

Skrelp: Gunk Shot is a cool STAB addition for Skrelp, but even after it gets Adaptability, it will still prefer a special set because Scald is very important and it will also want Hidden Power Fire to hit Ferroseed. Therefore, Gunk Shot won't be very useful for it, ever.

Tyrunt: Iron Head is a good coverage option against Fairy-types, but it doesn't do much more than what Strong Jaw-boosted Poison Fang already does. Superpower is a guaranteed OHKO against Pawniard but is a poor coverage choice outside of that when it has Earthquake, and the stat drops are unappealing as well.

Last edited:

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The only changes that really interest me are Pancham's and Pumpkaboo's. Synthesis is gonna help it out big time, and although I have ragged on it pretty hard, I'll be more willing to use it now (I really don't like Leech Seed in LC).

As for Pancham, I'm happy to see the changes but I'm not hopping on it too quickly. Yes, Mold Breaker Knock Off is nice, but I wanna wait to see what effect it has on the meta before I get too happy. For now, I'll still prefer Timburr because of Guts/Mach Punch but because of my love of Fighting-types I'll definitely be experimenting.

Yeah, Parting Shot is going to be really weird to deal with, because not only do you get the slow U-turn level of momentum, but now you have Knock Off in addition to that, which makes switching out really hard, plus Drain Punch and Gunk Shot make for good coverage moves if your prediction is better. You can even argue that the stat drops can be sometimes better than the raw damage, because the incentive to stay in and try to outpredict is severly lessened if your offenses are cut. Petition to rename VoltTurn to VoltTurnShot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)