Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Salamence is ridiculous, it can set up on choice band Terrakion after it killed something with stone edge and doenst even need much defensive investment for it.
Proof:
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 260-308 (74 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
then you dd and are faster and roost:
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 130-154 (37 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
now wait for the stone miss and then kill it and sweep with a +1 salamence that outspeeds even 110 modest scarfers.

the set i use:
Pinsir 2.0 @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimitade/Aerilate
EVs: 80 hp/252 Atk/176 Spe (to outspeed neutral natured fully invested base 110 scarfers at +1, else got into hp)
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return/Double Edge
- Earthquake

Been playing around with this set:

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return / Body Slam
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Roost

This set works primarily as defensive glue for Stall teams, except it also functions as a win condition for late game if necessary. It's actually really effective since it finds many opportunities to set up, and even with no attack investment it hits hard as hell even unboosted. Heal Bell is really key on this set since dot only does it provide great support to your teammates, but it also enables you to heal off Toxic, Paralysis or Burn for yourself letting you set up on defensive Pokemon such as Slowbro or Suicune. The lack of Heal Bell PP can a bit of a problem though, but I haven't run into a situation where I actually ran out. I highly recommend this set if you're using MAltaria on a stall or balanced team and would like to have a win condition.
Yo this set is nice. I prefer body slam over return because of the paralysis and a way to effectively boost your speed while crippling targets. Heal Bell reminds me of a refresh set that Mega mence has been using as well. Btw what are the 56 Spe evs for?

Mega Beedrill isn't a pivot, as it can't switch into shit.
sorry iv been using pivot as the more litteral term. as simple going in amd out. im pbviously not stupid enough to switch it in i either volt switch tp it on my 0 speed magnezone or after a poke dies. not to mention i got 2 spinners just to psych players out. donphan and excadrill.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo this set is nice. I prefer body slam over return because of the paralysis and a way to effectively boost your speed while crippling targets. Heal Bell reminds me of a refresh set that Mega mence has been using as well. Btw what are the 56 Spe evs for?
Crawdaunt.

Just so that this post isn't a one-liner, has anyone tried an offensive MAltaria set of Hyper Voice or Return/Fire Blast/Earthquake/Roost? It already hits quite hard without investment, and this moveset seems really tricky to switch into due to its phenomenal coverage. The only good switchin I can think of are Talonflame who still takes a lot from your STAB, and YZard who can't do all that much back. I'm pretty sure you can get away with a -Atk or SpA nature depending on whether you're running Hyper Voice or Return, since most Fairy resists still take a lot from either one of these despite coming off a stat-lowering nature. Not sure whether the specially or physically based set would be better though, I'm leaning toward the specially based one since, although Return outdamages Hyper Voice, Fire Blast is a much more useful move than Earthquake which only really hits Heatran. (Also, I would run Timid/Jolly w/ max Speed to outpace MHera, Timid Heatran, and Excadrill outside of Sand)

On an unrelated note, let me just say that I've seen Sableye face balance and it is indeed very good in that particular matchup. Also sets up over more offensive threats than I realized (Lando-T, Bisharp, Sash Mamo, to name a couple) and just abuses almost anything defensive. Definitely a solid Mega.

Last edited:

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
I really hope Mega Swampert doesn't bring back rain. I don't want another Gen 5.
I've been doing a bit of testing and Mega Swampert rain is terrifying. This thing does so much damage and is insanely hard to stop. I can see rain making an even bigger comeback thanks to it. I was playtesting with -Clone- and his Swampert just swept.

M-Gallade is also really strong from my testing. Its Close Combat is stronger than Gardevoir's Hyper Voice and it makes a great sweeper with Swords Dance and base 110 Speed. The best coverage is probably CC / Zen / Knock Off, just watch out for M-Sableye. 110 is really seeming like the new 'average' Speed.

Just so that this post isn't a one-liner, let me just say that I've seen Sableye face balance and it is indeed very good in that particular matchup. Also sets up over more offensive threats than I realized (Lando-T, Bisharp, Sash Mamo, to name a couple) and just abuses almost anything defensive. Definitely a solid Mega.
The CM/Dark Pulse/Wisp/Recover Set for Sableye, yes?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So like, is Mega Beedrill worth the Mega slot? I mean, it doesn't sound that good...
U-Turning on most balance members and non Scarfers and shitting on fairies is worth a slot on volt turn teams, which is where he'll find his home.

So like, is Mega Beedrill worth the Mega slot? I mean, it doesn't sound that good...
Eeh... I see it being niche at best. It's got a strong, fast U-turn and it can kill fairies but that's about it. Add on the fact that it's not really versatile, it dies to any priority (unless you run a few defence evs for aqua jet... lol), horribly weak to hazards which hurts it's U-turning, the fact that so many other Megas are better and more versatile, I can't forsee it rising above niche in OU.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The CM/Dark Pulse/Wisp/Recover Set for Sableye, yes?
I much prefer Shadow Ball since you get far better neutral coverage and all you miss out on is Chansey who can't touch you anyway (and P2 but I legitimately having cannot remember having ever seen this thing in OU). I guess Dark Pulse does stop the opponent from sending Chansey in and out and in again repeatedly until your PP runs out, but it's worth the ability to actually hit Fairy-type switchins twice as hard (and just setting up SR stops that from happening to an extent)

There was not very much feedback on Mega Lopunny, at least from what I saw. Has anyone tested it? How is it in the current meta, and what's it's "best" set?
I played around with it a bit and it surpassed my expectations. Its HJKs hit REALLY hard and it's STABs alone, when considering Scrappy, are unresisted.

I ran Adamant w/ max speed & attack (Jolly is better but I ran Adamant since it was just a fun match and wanted to see its damage output) with HJK, Return, Ice Punch, and Facade. Thunder Punch is a solid option for hitting Slowbro, but I wanted Ice Punch to nail M-Sally, Lando-T, and Gliscor. You can run T-Punch over Facade, but I still wanted a hard hitting STAB for if I got statused. It actually has Heal Bell which is pretty cool for curing paralysis and burns that usually hinder it.

Lopunny has a fairly wide movepool so I'm sure they're will be a good few viable sets for it.

I played around with it a bit and it surpassed my expectations. Its HJKs hit REALLY hard and it's STABs alone, when considering Scrappy, are unresisted.

I ran Adamant w/ max speed & attack (Jolly is better but I ran Adamant since it was just a fun match and wanted to see its damage output) with HJK, Return, Ice Punch, and Facade. Thunder Punch is a solid option for hitting Slowbro, but I wanted Ice Punch to nail M-Sally, Lando-T, and Gliscor. You can run T-Punch over Facade, but I still wanted a hard hitting STAB for if I got statused. It actually has Heal Bell which is pretty cool for curing paralysis and burns that usually hinder it.

Lopunny has a fairly wide movepool so I'm sure they're will be a good few viable sets for it.
Sweet, thanks for the feedback. It's definitely my favorite ORAS mega, but everyone has been focused on Beedrill and Salamence. Mega Lopunny has many options to choose from based on what I've seen. Beedrill is probably my second favorite revealed, but from what everyone is saying it's just really gimmicky. I was originally thinking an SD set could be viable with tons of team support to get rid of priority users and keep hazards under control but everyone says that being a U-turner is its best set. Just seems a bit disappointing to me.

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
I really wanted to use Mega Sharpedo, but I'm glad I read this thread because it seems as if Greninja still outclasses it...unfortunately.

Kinda glad I wnot be wasting a Mega slot on it tho.

But it is indeed powerful.
From what I've seen, Sharpedo is an incredible cleaner. Protect up on something, Mega Evolve for the speed and power boost, then clean through slightly weakened offensive teams with a simple set of Waterfall / Crunch / Ice Fang. 120 BP STAB Crunch is no laughing matter.

I don't think Greninja outclasses it that much; it's definitely worth the mega slot if you need a deadly cleaner who runs through weakened offense teams.

Crawdaunt.

Just so that this post isn't a one-liner, has anyone tried an offensive MAltaria set of Hyper Voice or Return/Fire Blast/Earthquake/Roost? It already hits quite hard without investment, and this moveset seems really tricky to switch into due to its phenomenal coverage. The only good switchin I can think of are Talonflame who still takes a lot from your STAB, and YZard who can't do all that much back. I'm pretty sure you can get away with a -Atk or SpA nature depending on whether you're running Hyper Voice or Return, since most Fairy resists still take a lot from either one of these despite coming off a stat-lowering nature. Not sure whether the specially or physically based set would be better though, I'm leaning toward the specially based one since, although Return outdamages Hyper Voice, Fire Blast is a much more useful move than Earthquake which only really hits Heatran. (Also, I would run Timid/Jolly w/ max Speed to outpace MHera, Timid Heatran, and Excadrill outside of Sand)

On an unrelated note, let me just say that I've seen Sableye face balance and it is indeed very good in that particular matchup. Also sets up over more offensive threats than I realized (Lando-T, Bisharp, Sash Mamo, to name a couple) and just abuses almost anything defensive. Definitely a solid Mega.
Imo Altaria's physical set is better but that doesn't mean it's special set isn't good either. It's physical set just seems to have more creativity available from what I've seen but a hyper voice hits as hard as sylveon's which is no joke.

Mega Altaria is going to be one of those Pokemon that will have many viable sets, all with different natures and EV spreads for what you want, because thanks to its typing, movepool and stats it can be pretty versatile. I am super hyped to see Altaria seeing use in higher tiers though, it's one of my favourite Pokemon.

have you guys discussed any mega glalie sets yet?
The best set imo will be Return or Double-Edge / Freeze-Dry / Earthquake / Explosion. Probably will just run max speed + attack as its bulk + typing isn't offering it any other choices. It could probably try a Spikes set, but I think it'll be better suited to just firing off powerful Ice moves and then going boom when it's done.

Has anyone tried Pidgeot? I know it's pretty mediocre when compared to some of the other new Megas we've gotten, so it's probably not high on the testing agenda, but I'm interested to see how the original bird does for itself.

It'll have severe competition from Mega Manectric, who has (somewhat) better bulk + Intimidate and doubles as a BirdSpam check.
Definitely agree with this, although they check very different things and Beedrill is significantly more powerful at the cost of a lot of bulk. If you've got a bird spam check (which you blatantly should have anyway, regardless of Beedrill) I can see this thing doing work. It's getting a bit annoying saying 'Magnezone is a great partner' to seemingly everything these days, but Beezone is gonna be threatening.

Imo Altaria's physical set is better but that doesn't mean it's special set isn't good either. It's physical set just seems to have more creativity available from what I've seen but a hyper voice hits as hard as sylveon's which is no joke.
I've been playing around a lot with M-Altaria, and honestly, I've found very few situations where special sets have managed anything that physical or mixed sets weren't already capable of. They're not bad, per se, but they don't really do anything the physical or mixed sets can't manage.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thunder Punch is a solid option for hitting Slowbro, but I wanted Ice Punch to nail M-Sally, Lando-T, and Gliscor. You can run T-Punch over Facade, but I still wanted a hard hitting STAB for if I got statused. It actually has Heal Bell which is pretty cool for curing paralysis and burns that usually hinder it.

Why would you run Thunder Punch for Slowbro? Doesn't Return/Frustration hit harder?

Albacore

After trying it out quite a bit I've been really impressed by MCamerupt. It may be tricky to actually send it in, and its low speed is a pretty noticable problem, but god damn it hits hard. Its defensive typing is not bad at all either, giving it the ability to abuse Electric types, particularly Magnezone who becomes a massive liability against MCamerupt teams. Its bulk is actually pretty solid too, and it usually lives quite a few hits before going down, which basically implies at least one kill. It's not a bad rock setter, but I actually prefer Wisp in the last slot because fuck Azumarill. But I'll be honest, almost all of your time is just spent spamming Fire Blast and sometimes clicking Earth Power, to the point where running Flamethrower for an accurate Fire STAB doesn't seem like a terrible idea. You can also add it to the growing list of Pokemon that take advantage of Ferrothorn very easily, not even being affected by Twave and even if it did it wouldn't care (though it can actually move before it if it win the speed tie lol). This thing is just really underrated, a lot people seem to think it's MAbomasnow 2.0 when it's clearly way better than that. Once again, give it a spin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)