Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you run Thunder Punch for Slowbro? Doesn't Return/Frustration hit harder?
It does.

STAB Return is 153 BP
STAB HJK is 195 BP

Lop's (good) coverage moves are Elemental Punches, uh that's it. And a resisted Return does more damage than neutral punch, so they're only good for targets that take 4x damage (Scizor, LandT, Gliscor, Garchomp, Dragonite, base form Gyarados, etc.)

Anyway Lopunny is looking pretty neat. Obv. is gets perfect coverage in two moves, so it essentially has two free moveslots to use its many, many support moves. So you can do stuff like:

STABs+coverage move (probably only Ice Punch is good)+Healing Wish|Heal Bell (heal bunny)
STABs+Baton Pass+Encore|Taunt (muhmentum bunny)
STABs+Baton Pass+Sub (pass bunny)
STABs+Sub+Endeavor (YEAH HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT SLOWBRO bunny)
STABs+Headbutt+Thunder Wave (lucky bunny)
Fake Out+Last Resort (low ladder RU meta bunny)

pretty cool mon

The best set imo will be Return or Double-Edge / Freeze-Dry / Earthquake / Explosion. Probably will just run max speed + attack as its bulk + typing isn't offering it any other choices. It could probably try a Spikes set, but I think it'll be better suited to just firing off powerful Ice moves and then going boom when it's done.
Sadly, Glalie can't learn Freeze-Dry. HP Fire, Substitute, Spikes and even Ice Shard are still good options for that slot, though. I'll definitely try it soon, maybe paired with Scarf Keldeo and SD Talonflame. This core looks pretty decent on paper to me.

Even according to the ORAS level-up list
Yeah well if we're going by that Glalie's level-up moves consist of four moves, so looks like it loses a whole bunch of moves in ORAS then! (This is sarcasm.)

They locked Glalie's information because you have one in the demo; chances are it'll learn it be level-up. A number of other Pokemon got new level-up moves, so no reason to think Glacia's Glalie isn't the same.

They locked Glalie's information because you have one in the demo; chances are it'll learn it be level-up. A number of other Pokemon got new level-up moves, so no reason to think Glacia's Glalie isn't the same.
Hm, makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Even better for Glalie, as Rotom-W is no longer a counter.

After trying it out quite a bit I've been really impressed by MCamerupt. It may be tricky to actually send it in, and its low speed is a pretty noticable problem, but god damn it hits hard. Its defensive typing is not bad at all either, giving it the ability to abuse Electric types, particularly Magnezone who becomes a massive liability against MCamerupt teams. Its bulk is actually pretty solid too, and it usually lives quite a few hits before going down, which basically implies at least one kill. It's not a bad rock setter, but I actually prefer Wisp in the last slot because fuck Azumarill. But I'll be honest, almst all of your time is just spent spamming Fire Blast and sometimes clicking Earth Power, to the point where running Flamethrower for an accurate Fire STAB doesn't seem like a terrible idea. You can also add it to the growing list of Pokemon that take advantage of Ferrothorn very easily, not even being affected by Twave and even if it did it wouldn't care (though it can actually move before it if it win the speed tie lol). This thing is just really underrated, a lot people seem to think it's MAbomasnow 2.0 when it's clearly way better than that. Once again, give it a spin.
Do you run it as part of a TR team, or just a bulky-offense/semi-stall sorta gig? Seems like you're going Max SpA/HP, although I'm guessing the max Spd/HP set works pretty well too (Even uninvested, the Sheer Force boost can make up somewhat).

Guessing you want Rotom-W/Azumarill counters (although running WoW helps neuter Azumarill), so seems like AV Raikou might be a good partner (although not so much against a non-burned Azumarill). Maybe even Toxicroak for an offensive core? Obviously compounding ground weakness sucks and Mega Swampert dumpsters that, just throwing out ideas.

one thing i haven't gotten the chance to try but looks cool on paper is subpass lop + taunt-3 attacks gengar... lop doesn't need the coverage obviously but lo gar hits a good number of targets much harder (see: clefable) and has taunt ofc... plus, good god, can you imagine taunt + 3 attacks gar behind a substitute?

Heal Bell Mega Lopunny sounds like it could be a really underrated set. It could allow some HO teams to include HB support without totally sacking momentum/offense. Clefable and Togekiss are the closest you get to offensive healers, but Lopunny has a great speed tier and better offensive presence than any other cleric type. Healing Wish and Ice Punch are really good options for the last slot as well.

I was writing something up about hits-like-a-truck-support M-Lopunny but Celticpride beat me to it.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite (or whatever)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Limber -> Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 156 Spe
-Heal Bell
-Quick Attack / Fake Out
-Hi Jump Kick
-Healing Wish / Ice Punch

The Speed EVs are there to be able to outspeed LO Greninja and LO Weavile, I tried to run the numbers and maxing out speed doesn't really help against any Scarfers in the meta besides TTar (which this set already outspeeds), as M-Lopunny maxes out at 405 and even scarf Lando-T comes to 406. Maxing it out only really helps against Modest MegaZam, but the reduced special bulk means you'll be dying to it anyways. If you wanted to outspeed Noivern for whatever reason, 4 more EVs would allow you to do that. The coverage is with Ice Punch is useful, but having a super fast Healing Wish could also come in handy. You could even run Magic Coat on it in the fourth slot if you wanted to if you're having trouble with defensive mons.

Hi Jump Kick annihilates pretty much anything it's SE against barring Heatran, and Fake Out + Hi Jump Kick combos or Hi Jump Kick + Quick Attack combos kill a large amount of neutral defenders. The special bulk allows it to take at least one hit from MegaZam, M-Gardevoir, Lati@s (barring Draco Meteor), Lando-I / Thundo-I (barring Focus Blast), or Kyurem-B. Fake Out + Quick Attack combos can be pretty devastating as a general revenge killer as well.

Last edited:
After trying it out quite a bit I've been really impressed by MCamerupt. It may be tricky to actually send it in, and its low speed is a pretty noticable problem, but god damn it hits hard. Its defensive typing is not bad at all either, giving it the ability to abuse Electric types, particularly Magnezone who becomes a massive liability against MCamerupt teams. Its bulk is actually pretty solid too, and it usually lives quite a few hits before going down, which basically implies at least one kill. It's not a bad rock setter, but I actually prefer Wisp in the last slot because fuck Azumarill. But I'll be honest, almst all of your time is just spent spamming Fire Blast and sometimes clicking Earth Power, to the point where running Flamethrower for an accurate Fire STAB doesn't seem like a terrible idea. You can also add it to the growing list of Pokemon that take advantage of Ferrothorn very easily, not even being affected by Twave and even if it did it wouldn't care (though it can actually move before it if it win the speed tie lol). This thing is just really underrated, a lot people seem to think it's MAbomasnow 2.0 when it's clearly way better than that. Once again, give it a spin.
Hold on a sec. I know this almost certainly won't be viable in OU, but wouldn't Lanturn be a good partner for Mega Camerupt, at least in theory? Sure, the compounded ground weakness blows (but that's what the rest of the team is for I guess), but you shit all over every Rotom-W and can beat Azumarill too (either with Toxic/Scald burns/Volt Switch). And with Heal Bell, you can make sure Camerupt doesn't get Toxic'd.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Camerupt+Lanturn doesn't really make sense because of the massive overlap in roles. Both of them are used first and foremost to completely ruin Electric types. Lanturn I guess does this better because it beats all of them, Rotom-W included, but Camerupt has far, far more offensive presence and therefore screws Volt Switchers even harder. In fact, the team I was using MCamerupt on was basically a Lanturn semistall team which I made more offensive by replacing Lanturn for Camerupt (and packing an additional Greninja and Rotom-W check).

Also, Lanturn can't really beat any Azumarill variant unless it manages to get a lucky Scald burn.

Hold on a sec. I know this almost certainly won't be viable in OU, but wouldn't Lanturn be a good partner for Mega Camerupt, at least in theory? Sure, the compounded ground weakness blows (but that's what the rest of the team is for I guess), but you shit all over every Rotom-W and can beat Azumarill too (either with Toxic/Scald burns/Volt Switch). And with Heal Bell, you can make sure Camerupt doesn't get Toxic'd.
Lanturn's actually been viable in OU for a while now. Sure, only lingering in D and C ranks, but it's considered alright...
But yeah I can't really see it working with Camerupt at all. At least use Rotom-W

Strong jaw crunch from sharpedo is nasty that any ferrothorn not pysically bulky is taking a clean 40-50% . it differs from mega gyara in that it has immediate power(only in crunch) and speed compared to mega gyarados, but once gyarados gets a boost, its 100% better in every way.

i just wish it had something else to differentiate it from mega gyarados.

So has anyone tested out Mega Gallade yet? That 165 Attack + 110 Speed doesn't look like something to laugh at, and neutral nature CC hits so hard coming off of this guy that it isn't even funny, let alone after SD. Bulk up sounds pretty cool too, and probs might look something like this:

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Substitute / Taunt

The EVs let you set up 4 Subs (i think) and live shit (Ex: It survives unboosted talonflame brave birds after a boost, but still don't stay in on this thing lol). Drain Punch gets that delicious stab and gives you reliable recovery. Yum. Stone Edge gives it some legit 2 move coverage and the last slot can be subs to block leech seed, intimidate, sucker punches and more, while Taunt improves your stallbreaking abilities.

Last edited:
Lanturn's actually been viable in OU for a while now. Sure, only lingering in D and C ranks, but it's considered alright...
But yeah I can't really see it working with Camerupt at all. At least use Rotom-W
Yea, I guess Rotom-W would be a damn near perfect partner simply because it's immune to Ground and a mixed bulk set could handle Azumarill and Scalds from stuff pretty well.

Still will need a partner to actually beat Rotom-W, but there's plenty of grass types for that. Tangrowth might be nice since it resists ground and water, and with Regenerator and Rotom-W you can have a nice solid FWG core.

dialganet

Banned deucer.
Finally someone in the same boat as me. Was about time. I really like M-Rupt as a wallbreaker+potential sweeper on TR teams, or even as a tank in bulky offense. 20 speed might be pathetic outside of TR but 70//100//105 bulk with 120/145 Attacks, Sheer Force and that dual STAB is no joke. Unfortunately having Solid Rock before megaevolving, otherwise a great ability, won't help much with those weaknesses (until you switch into something like... Glalie's bulldoze, I guess?).
Outside of TR, 3 attack consisting of either Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Earth Power/Earthquake, and Rock Slide/Ancient Power + utility move (SR, wow, Yawn...) could make an interest tank+momentum changer. Special Attacks are obviously going to be much more powerful but as you will basically be able to afford a Quiet/Brave nature you could slash a physical move if you have to dent a special tank/wall not name Chansey badly.
However, inside Trick Room, Camerupt has some potential. Beside being more powerful and with a way better typing than Abomasnow, it can afford to run another annoying move in sheer force Iron Head (something I realized breeding Numel) for fairies. Moreover, if you can safely set up trick room and then send in Camerupt (Prankster TR/UTurn/stun spore/utility move Whimiscott could do the trick, and also shares great type sinergy, just throwing it out), you might as well as get fancy and (another thing I noticed breeding) run Growth and man, from there it's going to hurt as hell. Will require great prediction, support and timing but could represent an interesting gimmick.
We're not facing the second coming of Mega Gengar for sure, but a certainly solid mon that a lot of people won't prepare for (its trait are pretty uncommon).

Idk I'm still debating what I like in the last slot more, yawn or wisp. Both such nice utility and cause people to think twice before combatting rupture that its beautiful.

Currently though I'm sorta speed creeping with rupt to ensure I can 2hko Mega slow if it switches in and then attack as it tries to end me (or you know, attack as he calm minds and then win next turn). Might be odd speed creeping with something so slow but idk, it is just a bit comical seeing Slowbro fall to a Mon it would normally beat no problem.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Idk I'm still debating what I like in the last slot more, yawn or wisp. Both such nice utility and cause people to think twice before combatting rupture that its beautiful.

Currently though I'm sorta speed creeping with rupt to ensure I can 2hko Mega slow if it switches in and then attack as it tries to end me (or you know, attack as he calm minds and then win next turn). Might be odd speed creeping with something so slow but idk, it is just a bit comical seeing Slowbro fall to a Mon it would normally beat no problem.
You can spam WoW without any real repercussions, while Yawn can be exploited via purposefully letting something succumb to it and abusing Sleep Clause.

You can spam WoW without any real repercussions, while Yawn can be exploited via purposefully letting something succumb to it and abusing Sleep Clause.
Ik just as stated I'm having fun with both and have both served me pretty well through testing (wisping an azumarill, yawning a keldeo ) so as said they both give me moments of joy even if wisp may be the preffered.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
can you guys not dismiss mons with theorymon please ~_~

Mega Beedrill is something that I feel people are really underrating in this thread but is actually really good. It's one of those things that you definitely need to have a check for, as it's very strong and fast with U-turn allowing it to punish switches like crazy. Its U-turn is as strong as CB Scizor, and Poison Jab OHKOes all of the Fairies and does like 78% avg to Keldeo. Scarf Landorus-T isn't even really a consistent switch-in considering it can use Knock Off to get rid of that Scarf and does about 45% with SR, then U-turns out and it's worn out really fast with the other teammates. Sure it doesn't get a lot of switch-in opportunities if any, but there are a bunch of good mons to pair it with for VoltTurn, including Magnezone which synergizes insanely well with it and pretty much negates any ability of Skarm to deal with it. Strong and lethal mon for offense, add something like say Greninja to that and they never had a chance. Far better than 'niche'.

btw you can run Adamant considering Manectric is kinda ehh with better fast Megas around unless you're really concerned about outspeeding Lopunny and chancing the tie with Sceptile. The power boost is pretty significant, so I'd go for it.

Mega Altaria is being pretty heavily overrated in comparison and I know a bunch of people who share this opinion. It can't really switch into anything preevo and it doesn't really do that much post-evo. It's not bulky enough to handle a lot of things - too many boost points were wasted in offenses - so even though its typing is great, it can't really handle things like Zard X as you want it to. It has awesome typing and is great in theory, but in practice that's not enough without the raw bulk to get the job done.

I'm not really going to say much because we're not supposed to talk about bans, but Greninja is ridiculously good in this metagame. Gunk Shot was just a godsend for it, answers for offensive teams don't exist anymore, nor really balanced teams unless you're into running Chansey or some random crap like Cresselia on every team. Not mentioning stall because...well...Mence/Metagross/Diancie/Sableye.

yea mega altaria is kinda underwhelming tbh

got a decent-ish replay of swamp rain vs altaria bulky offense...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-175323749
altaria literally did nothing, not even due to horrendous misplays (well kinda (well yes)), but primarily because it COULDN'T do anything. altaria is looking to be a very matchup-based mon, and that's not a step in the right direction for it

here's a more passable replay vs my own sceptile team... (sceptile came out already mega evoed tho but oh well)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-175336209
altaria also did very little but that was mainly due to them assuming heatran was not scarved, so it took a huge hit... also their team was horribly weak to sceptile to begin with, w/ altaria as their only answer to it. so huzzah for sceptile i guess

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)