Other PU Balanced (peaked #4)

Intro
Welcome to my PU team! PU is definitely my favorite tier ever since it has come out on Pokemon Showdown and I have had pretty good success with it too. I got to #4 on the ladder with this team so I thought I would share. Feel free to leave suggestions. :] EDIT: After playing more and more with this team and giving Throh EQ over Circle Throw and giving Haunter Destiny Bond instead of Energy Ball, I managed to reach #1 :]. Thank you for the suggestions and feel free to leave more.

marowak.gif
sneasel.gif
clefairy.gif
throh.gif
simipour.gif
haunter.gif

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

Individual Analysis
Boner (Marowak) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Bonemerang
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off

Marowak is a great rocks setter and has great moves too. On this set, you have enough speed to outspeed max speed Ariados and bonemerang it, keeping it from setting up sticky webs. Bonemerang is a great move, as it is able to OHKO pokemon such as Golem and Carracosta that have sturdy as well. Knock Off can 2HKO Musharna and Double-Edge can deal a lot of damage without taking recoil because of Rock Head. Marowak is very good at breaking down bulkier teams so that's why I chose it for my Stealth Rock lead.

Gesundheit (Sneasel) @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Sneasel is a great physical sweeper, especially with Swords Dance. Most Sneasel run Life Orb, but Eviolite+Swords Dance allows you to set up on bulkier pokemon that can't hit you back for much damage. Sneasel can 2HKO Avalugg with Low Kick at +2 while Avalugg can only really Toxic or Roar Sneasel out, as Avalanche won't be doing much damage. Make sure you wait to set up with Sneasel until you've taken out it's counters, such as Poliwrath.

Smile (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Overall, Clefairy is a very bulky pokemon with an Eviolite and is good at stopping pokemon from setting up and sweeping through your team. Thunder Wave cripples a lot of threats in the tier and if a pokemon gets Knock Off, why not use it? :p

Toss (Throh) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Storm Throw
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Throh acts as a great pokemon to switch into status moves and take special hits very well. Storm Throh allows you to crit every time, making it easier to take out Bulk Up users. Circle Throw can phase set-up sweepers out and again, why not use Knock Off if a pokemon has access to it (as well as it gives great coverage). Ice Punch is another nice coverage move, as it can deal with annoying bulky pokemon such as Altaria.

I’m Paul (Simipour) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Simipour is an extremely underrated threat in PU, especially if you can set up. Go for a substitute, attempt to set up a Nasty Plot, and if you set up two subs, you can also be at +2, since your Salac Berry will activate. At +1 speed, you are able to outspeed Electrode and scarfers below base 100 speed.

Swear Word (Haunter) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Haunter is a great revenge killer. At base 115 special attack stat, Haunter can be a huge threat when equipped a Choice Scarf. Trick is great for use against bulkier pokemon in stall teams, making it risky for pokemon like Lickitung to switch in, as they need the ability to switch moves. But watch out for strong priority moves and other faster scarfers, because Haunter is extremely frail and won't be able to live a hit very well.

Threats and Conclusion
Threats to this team are pokemon who hazard stack, knock off (of course), and weather teams. Thank you for looking at my first RMT and feel free to leave suggestions.

Importable Version for Showdown
Boner (Marowak) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Bonemerang
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off

Gesundheit (Sneasel) @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Smile (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Toss (Throh) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Storm Throw
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

I’m Paul (Simipour) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Swear Word (Haunter) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Marowak / SD Sneasel / TWave Clefairy / AV Throh / Salac Simipour / Scarf Haunter

Cool team, and congrats on your success.

Going over the weaknesses that you've identified for your team, I really don't think Knock Off is a big deal. You have Throh, which can quite easily switch into Knock Off. It doesn't really like losing its Assault Vest, but it's not like it's crippled when it doesn't have its item either. You've also got Clefairy, which doesn't appreciate losing its Eviolite but can easily take Knock Off. So no, your team isn't exactly ideal to take on Knock Off, but it should be fine.

Spikes offense, however, does look like it could be a pain for your team. The team is pretty offensive, but it's not quite offensive enough to keep hazards away through offensive pressure. You could try to fit a Rapid Spin or Defog user onto your team, but I think your best bet is just to use Pokemon that can't be easily set up on by Garbodor, the most relevant Spiker in the tier. Earthquake over Circle Throw on Throh would help with this, and so would Calm Mind Clefairy over your current set. Clefairy really can't do too much to Garbodor no matter what you do, but if you run Calm Mind, worst case scenario, you can set up alongside it.

Weather teams are pretty much going to be difficult no matter what you do unless you heavily adjust your team. AV Throh helps against them, as it can pretty much live any hit and kill whatever is attacking it. Sneasel also helps a ton because most weather teams in PU are sun, and Ice Shard does tons to the many Grass-types that are common on sun. Sand could be pesky, but the only real problem for your team against sand is Choice Band Stoutland. If you're worried about Stoutland, you can keep Thunder Wave on Clefairy and use Calm Mind / Moonblast / Thunder Wave / Soft-Boiled on it. Otherwise, just run Flamethrower on it.

As for the rest of your team, it looks really solid. The only other suggestion I have for you is to try Destiny Bond over Energy Ball on Haunter. Energy Ball hits nearly nothing, and Destiny Bond gives you a last ditch check to offensive Pokemon that threaten your team.

Hopefully these small optimizations can help you succeed even more, and congrats again on your peak!

Suggested changes:

- Circle Throw -> Earthquake

- Knock Off -> Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave -> Flamethrower (optional)

- Energy Ball -> Destiny Bond

Marowak / SD Sneasel / TWave Clefairy / AV Throh / Salac Simipour / Scarf Haunter

Cool team, and congrats on your success.

Going over the weaknesses that you've identified for your team, I really don't think Knock Off is a big deal. You have Throh, which can quite easily switch into Knock Off. It doesn't really like losing its Assault Vest, but it's not like it's crippled when it doesn't have its item either. You've also got Clefairy, which doesn't appreciate losing its Eviolite but can easily take Knock Off. So no, your team isn't exactly ideal to take on Knock Off, but it should be fine.

Spikes offense, however, does look like it could be a pain for your team. The team is pretty offensive, but it's not quite offensive enough to keep hazards away through offensive pressure. You could try to fit a Rapid Spin or Defog user onto your team, but I think your best bet is just to use Pokemon that can't be easily set up on by Garbodor, the most relevant Spiker in the tier. Earthquake over Circle Throw on Throh would help with this, and so would Calm Mind Clefairy over your current set. Clefairy really can't do too much to Garbodor no matter what you do, but if you run Calm Mind, worst case scenario, you can set up alongside it.

Weather teams are pretty much going to be difficult no matter what you do unless you heavily adjust your team. AV Throh helps against them, as it can pretty much live any hit and kill whatever is attacking it. Sneasel also helps a ton because most weather teams in PU are sun, and Ice Shard does tons to the many Grass-types that are common on sun. Sand could be pesky, but the only real problem for your team against sand is Choice Band Stoutland. If you're worried about Stoutland, you can keep Thunder Wave on Clefairy and use Calm Mind / Moonblast / Thunder Wave / Soft-Boiled on it. Otherwise, just run Flamethrower on it.

As for the rest of your team, it looks really solid. The only other suggestion I have for you is to try Destiny Bond over Energy Ball on Haunter. Energy Ball hits nearly nothing, and Destiny Bond gives you a last ditch check to offensive Pokemon that threaten your team.

Hopefully these small optimizations can help you succeed even more, and congrats again on your peak!

Suggested changes:

- Circle Throw -> Earthquake

- Knock Off -> Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave -> Flamethrower (optional)

- Energy Ball -> Destiny Bond
thank you, ill try them out

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team looks pretty cool, but I beat it three times on the ladder (pre-Clefairy tho). Throh really doesn't need the double fighting stab, EQ/Stone miss/thunder punch (for Pelipper) should be good instead. My biggest issue with AV Throh is the lack of recovery, as it's the only mon with solid Spdef on the team. Although it becomes much more passive, I would consider wish+protect on Clefairy over soft boiled and knock off, despite the low hp. It's definitely not necessary, but I basically won by wearing down Throh and spamming special attacks. If Marowak is going to break down defensive teams, it needs stone edge over double edge to deal with Avalugg, and edge quake + knock should hit most things harder than a neutral double edge. Finally, consider keeping energy ball on Haunter or dazzling gleam just for Poliwrath, Spdef rest-talk poli sort of shits on this team, and the extra damage might be useful. Also seeing massive chatot weakness but not sure how to fix tbh, jus think it needs addressing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)