Kazdoodles

Hey there, I'm Kaz. You probably don't know who I am because this is my first post on this forum, but I know who a lot of you are, mostly since I've been lurking smogon for a while. Just recently made an account though. I'm interested in competitive battling and I understand most of the mechanics, but I'm way too paranoid to actually build a team and jump into it, so I thought I'd start in the part of the community where I have a tiny bit more self confidence, which is artwork.

Here's a Green (Blue?) I did real quick with a limited color palette. Please ignore the badly drawn Pidgey.

I'm the first person to admit that I have a weakness for cute girls. Maylene just happens to be one of them.

My waifu from Waifu Emblem Awakening. I really have a problem with this game, it and Pokemon XY have pretty much taken over my life when I really should be doing work. (oh well)

I'm pretty weak when it comes to backgrounds, color choice, and non-human drawings, so the plan was to draw a lot of Pokemon in order to kind of remedy those things, but it didn't really work out haha. I do take requests, though, so feel free to ask for something

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey Kazbel, welcome to Smogon! These are some really nice drawings to start off your thread with; you've shown variety in style between all three of these images, from the rough, sketchy lines in Maylene's and Green's drawings to the vectorized, cartoonish style in Severa's. You also did well in giving the characters visible facial expression: Blue appears pensive, Maylene confident, and Severa indifferent. As for some quick criticism, Maylene's left foot looks a bit flat and stumpy, and her neck a tad too long and thin, but luckily they're none too distracting from the rest of the image.

Anyway, your work is pretty good all around, and I look forward to seeing more from you! :)

Hey Kazbel, welcome to Smogon! These are some really nice drawings to start off your thread with; you've shown variety in style between all three of these images, from the rough, sketchy lines in Maylene's and Green's drawings to the vectorized, cartoonish style in Severa's. You also did well in giving the characters visible facial expression: Blue appears pensive, Maylene confident, and Severa indifferent. As for some quick criticism, Maylene's left foot looks a bit flat and stumpy, and her neck a tad too long and thin, but luckily they're none too distracting from the rest of the image.

Anyway, your work is pretty good all around, and I look forward to seeing more from you! :)
Ah, thank you!
I definitely agree with what you said, I haven't really drawn feet a lot so there's definitely a lack of anatomy there. What I've noticed is I try to hide my weak points (i.e feet) with shoes and the like, so I decided to draw a character who runs around barefoot to kind of practice drawing feet a little. And I totally didn't notice that about the neck until you said so, that was a good catch omg

I'm currently working on a portfolio to apply to colleges with, but hopefully I can find free time to update this thread, I'd really love to get more in touch with the Smogon community and meet all of you cool people and maybe contribute some artwork to the community as well.

Your art seems pretty solid, and you certainly possess talent where I lack it in regards to drawing people. In addition, you seem to have a good sense of color and shading. Only issue I notice with your work offhand is that in some of your older pieces, if an outline hits a sharp corner, there'll often be a transparent spot that the color doesn't quite fill. It's only really noticeable at full zoom, but it's still something to watch out for. Other than that, great work all around.

Also, if you're looking for requests, I'd like to request either a Typhlosion or a Mamoswine to see how they look in your style. +)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some really cool stuff to be found in here. Always nice to see artists knowing how to handle both humorous and serious images, because not all artists knows where to draw that line. Also nice to see how playing around with stroke width and intensity creates a variety of styles and moods among your work. Solid.

In fact, I'll just make you an approved artist right away. If you want to know what that means, check out this post, although completely ignoring what that position entails is also a perfectly viable path to choose.

Your art seems pretty solid, and you certainly possess talent where I lack it in regards to drawing people. In addition, you seem to have a good sense of color and shading. Only issue I notice with your work offhand is that in some of your older pieces, if an outline hits a sharp corner, there'll often be a transparent spot that the color doesn't quite fill. It's only really noticeable at full zoom, but it's still something to watch out for. Other than that, great work all around.

Also, if you're looking for requests, I'd like to request either a Typhlosion or a Mamoswine to see how they look in your style. +)
Finished your request, aXl- hopefully I managed to fix the transparent spots, I think that was mostly because I had no idea how to resize artwork. Honestly I still don't really know how to resize artwork. Thanks for your comments, though, I had fun drawing your request. The first thing I thought of was importing my Mamoswine from XY to ORAS, and then wondering how it would fare in the intense heat of Hoenn, lol

Some really cool stuff to be found in here. Always nice to see artists knowing how to handle both humorous and serious images, because not all artists knows where to draw that line. Also nice to see how playing around with stroke width and intensity creates a variety of styles and moods among your work. Solid.

In fact, I'll just make you an approved artist right away. If you want to know what that means, check out this post, although completely ignoring what that position entails is also a perfectly viable path to choose.
Oh, thank you! Maybe I'll try to draw for an article or CAP sometime, if I can figure out how that stuff works haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)