Mienshao [QC 3/3] [GP 1/2]

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########

Sporting solid but in no way remarkable 125 / 95 / 105 offenses and almost nonexistent bulk, Mienshao has a very hard time carving itself a niche in the OU metagame, given that it is, for the most part, outclassed by faster, stronger Fighting-types such as Mega-Lopunny, Terrakion, Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross and Conkeldurr. However, Mienshao can take advantage of two very good abilities in Reckless and Regenerator; the former powers up its main STAB move, High Jump Kick, to great levels, and the latter increases its longevity.
It also has access to a few utility moves; Fake Out makes it a good Focus Sash breaker and anti-lead, while U-Turn is great at generating momentum and pairs up extremely well with Regenerator. Mienshao's movepool gives it the ability to hit Fairy, Psychic, and Ghost types quite hard courtesy of Poison Jab and Knock Off respectively.

Life Orb Attacker
########
name: Life Orb Attacker
move 1: High Jump Kick
move 3: U-turn
move 2: Fake Out / Poison Jab
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Poison Jab
ability: Reckless
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Speed
nature: Naive / Jolly

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is a great main STAB move as it hits very hard thanks to Reckless and even severely dents some of the frailer Pokemon that resist it, such as Latios and Talonflame. U-turn not only gives Mienshao a bit more utility, enabling it to generate momentum and bring something in for free, but also hits Psychic-types, such as Latias, Starmie, and Celebi, which would be be able to switch into it without too much difficulty otherwise. Fake Out makes it a good anti-lead, enabling it to break the Focus Sashesof the likes of Garchomp, Breloom, Mamoswine, and Tyranitar, all of which it can KO with High Jump Kick the next turn. Hidden Power Ice is the preferred move in the last slot since it hits Landorus-T and Gliscor, both of which can easily switch on any other one of Mienshao's moves. However, Poison Jab is also a very good option that hits Fairies, (AC) such as Mega Gardevoir and Clefable, which take little damage from High Jump Kick and U-turn for heavy damage. It should be noted that Poison Jab isn't necessary for hitting Azumarill since High Jump Kick 2HKOes it anyway. Stone Edge can also be a decent option, enabling Mienshao to hit faster Flying-types, such as Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir; however, most Flying-types are hit very hard by its STAB High Jump Kick regardless.

Set Details
========

This set runs a fully offensive EV spread since there is no real benefit to investing anywhere else, with Mienshao being as frail as it is. A Speed-boosting nature is necessary to be an effective anti-lead against Garchomp andoutspeed Landorus. Reckless is the preferred ability given that it powers up Mienshao's High Jump Kick, making it hit a lot harder. Specifically, it guarantees that a combination of Fake Out and High Jump Kick will KO Focus Sash Garchomp. Life Orb increases the power of Mienshao's moves without locking it into any of them, which would be very counterproductive with Fake Out. If you dislike Mienshao taking recoil damage from Fake Out and U-turn, a Fist Plate can be given to it instead. A Naive nature should be used if Hidden PowerIce is being used; otherwise, a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed with a Jolly nature should be used instead.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used as a lead and anti-lead to stop the opponent from gaining momentum early on in the match. Use Fake Out on the first turn when facing a Focus Sash lead or if Mienshao needs the prior damage to take the opponent out;however, don't be too reckless when using Fake Out since Mienshao may take recoil for no good reason, especially if the opponent sends in a Rough Skin or Iron Barbs Pokemon predicting the Fake Out. Mienshao should always use U-turn on slower Pokemon that threaten it unless they carry priority, in which case you should pull a manual switch if you want to keep Mienshao for later. Don't spam High Jump Kick or Fake Out against any team that carries a Ghost-type, as that can backfire very badly for obvious reasons. Play around Ghost-types with U-turn instead.

Team Options
========

Mienshao is to be used on offensive teams that want to stop opposing offensive teams that employ a Focus Sash lead from laying down entry hazards. Make sure you have a Pokemon that can take on bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowbro or Cresselia, since Mienshao cannot get past them. You should also have an answer to Fairy-types, especially if you do not run Poison Jab, as well as something that can check Talonflame and Pinsir for they can take care of Mienshao very easily. A Pursuit user, such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar, is a very good partner since Mienshao can bait in Ghost-types, such as Gengar, and Psychic-types, such as Latios, use U-turn on them, and subsequently trap them with the Pursuit user of choice. Tyranitar is particularly good given that it also checks Flying-types . Mienshao also enjoys the support of a Stealth Rock setter, such as Heatran or Mamowine, to wear down the opposing team.

Offensive Pivot
########
name: Offensive Pivot
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Stone Edge / Poison Jab / Fake Out
ability: Regenerator

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is Mienshao's most powerful STAB move. U-turn is also an absolute must, as it not hits Psychic-types quite hard, but it also pairs up very well with Regenerator, giving Mienshao a good chunk of health back every time it uses the move. Knock Off is a very good move, since it hits Ghost-types, deals more damage to Psychic-types than U-turn and has great utility in general. When combined with Knock Off, U-turn and Regenerator make Mienshao very good at wearing down foes. Hidden PowerIce hits bulky Flying-and Ground-types, specifically Gliscor, Landorus and Landorus-T. However, Poison Jab nets a 2HKO on Fairies such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Azumarill, while Stone Edge lets Mienshao hit Flying-types that fear neither High Jump Kick nor U-turn, such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Tornadus-T, and Mega Pinsir. Fake Out is usable, but most switch-ins to Mienshao don't mind Fake Out anyway.

Set Details
========

Full offensive EVs should be a given, as there is no benefit to investing in Mienshao's bulk. A Speed-increasing nature enables Mienshao to outspeed Garchomp, (AC)Landorus-T, (AC) and positive-natured base 100s. Regenerator gives Mienshao a solid amount of longevity and stops it from getting worn down, especially when combined with U-turn. Life Orb pairs extremely well with Regenerator since Regenerator cancels out its recoil damage and then some, giveing Mienshao 23% of itshealth back every time it uses U-turn. A Naive nature should be chosen if Hidden Power Ice is used; otherwise, a Jolly nature with a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed is better since althoughthe extra bulk isn't necessary, Mienshao does not need the Special Attack for anything.

Usage Tips
========

U-turn should be used most of the time, especially early-game, to rack up chip damage on the opponent. Always U-turnout of slower Pokemon that Mienshao cannot KO and lack priority that threatens Mienshao. If you predict a Ghost-type to come in to absorb High Jump Kick, either use Knock Off or U-turn out into a Pursuit trapper. Knock Off is a very safe move to use in general if you expect a check to switch in, since even Pokemon that resist it are crippled by it, excluding Mega Evolutions. Specifically, Knock Off removes Leftovers, which lets Mienshao wear down defensive switch-ins more easily.

Team Options
========

Pursuit trappers are very good partners for Mienshao, since they can deal with the Ghost- and Psychic-types that cause trouble for it. Bisharp is very good given that it also checks Clefable. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is also a solid partner given its ability to check Flying-types. Mienshao enjoys support from Pokemon that can take priority moves aimed at it, specifically Flying-type priority moves from Pinsir and Talonflame. Rotom-W in particular is a good teammate since it forms a VoltTurn core with Mienshao and checks Azumarill and Sand Rush Excadrill, both of which can cause trouble for Mienshao. Since Mienshao is very vulnerable to Fairy-type attacks, a teammate that can switch into them easily, such as Heatran or Mega Scizor is appreciated. Heatran also lays down Stealth Rock, which helps wear down Mienshao's checks.

Other Options
########

Mienshao can run a decent Choice Scarf set thanks to U-turn, but it receives a lot of competition from Landorus-T, which is far bulkier and has a typing more suited for a Choice Scarf user and Terrakion, which is faster and has far a better STAB combination. Mienshao can also run a Substitute + Baton Pass set, which takes advantage of the switches it causes and can easily let something come in for free, possibly behind a Substitute. This set also pairs very well with Regenerator, since Mienshao gets health back every time it passes a Substitute.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ghost-Types**: Mega-Sableye, Gengar, and Gourgeist-S are all very threatening to Mienshao, since they stop it from safely using High Jump Kick. Reckless Mienshao can't do much to Ghost-types in general, but the Regenerator set has access to Knock Off and can therefore hurt them more.

**Fairy-Types**: Fairy-types, such as Clefable, can take High Jump Kicks and retaliate with a super-effective STAB move. They do not fear any move from Mienshao besides Poison Jab and can therefore easily switch into it. However, some less bulky Fairy-types still take a lot from High Jump Kick: for instance, Azumarill and Mega Gardevoir are 2HKOed by Reckless Life Orb High Jump Kicki if Stealth Rock is up.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types, such as Tornadus-T, Thundurus, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y, resist Mienshao's most common moves and can OHKO it with a super-effective STAB move, or STAB Fire move in Mega Charizard Y's case

**Priority Users** : Mienshao's lack of bulk and average defensive typing make it very weak to priority from the likes of Pinsir, Azumarill, and Dragonite.

**Faster Attackers** :
Due to Mienshao's extreme frailty, almost any faster attacker, such as Greninja, Keldeo, and Terrakion, or Choice Scarf user, such as Landorus-T, Heatran, and Garchomp), can threaten to KO it.

**Psychic-types**: Faster Psychic-types that are faster than Mienshao and can take one High Jump Kick, such as Latios, Starmie, and Azelf, threaten to KO it, while bulkier Psychic-types, such as Slowbro, Mew, and Cresselia, can take U-turn and even Knock Off from it.However, U-turn lets Mienshao escape while dealing a big chunk of damage.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Mega-Venusaur and Amoonguss, resist Mienshao's main STAB move and can usually take every other move it carries quite well.

**Bulky Ground-types**: If Mienshao lacks Hidden Power Ice, most bulky Ground-types, such as Landorus-T and Gliscor, can usually take it on decently, though the former gets worn down by repeated High Jump Kicks a lot. Hippowdon gets a special mention for its ability to even take Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ices.

Last edited:
Reactions: trc

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
only set should be this:

Offensive Pivot
########
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: High Jump Kick
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

p much the first set but regen > reckless and no stone edge. regen is better cuz longevity is super important espec on a mon that's so easily worn down what with lo, rocks, possible sand that without regen it often ends up dying early.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it really worth not being guaranteed to KO Garchomp with Fake Out+HJK though?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reckless >>>> Regenerator. With Reckless you basically have a mini Mega Medicham that is faster and doesn't take your Mega slot, whereas with Regen you have a Pokemon that struggles to wallbreak even against offensive teams and needs a lot of prediction to do so, which is very bad given its frailty and limited switch-in chances.

LO Reckless lives long enough anyway to do what is supposed to do, as it's never meant to take hits anyway.

Albacore

HJK actually outdamages HP Ice :

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 281-331 (78.7 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Life Orb Mienshao Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 250-296 (70 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
regen gives you a lot more flexibility and allows mienshao to persist as a threat throughout the match much more easily. it's not like hjk isn't already strong and reckless dies pretty damn fast. it doesn't really live long enough from my experience.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
regen gives you a lot more flexibility and allows mienshao to persist as a threat throughout the match much more easily. it's not like hjk isn't already strong and reckless dies pretty damn fast. it doesn't really live long enough from my experience.
Reckless helps Mienshao get a ton of important OHKO and 2HKOes, making it way less prediction reliant, one of the main points of using Mienshao in the first place, just spam one move with a few exceptions. If you want i can list those OHKOes and 2HKOes.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Whatever happened to "Mienshao is ass" "Mienshao is unviable" etc? I remember bringing it up more than once in the viability threads a while ago. I can't see how the Mawile ban influenced Mienshao much, the Aegis ban was the big one in my opinion. I'm just curious as to why it is now getting an analysis, and am also mad because I liek Mienshao and Albacore sux

I think Scarf should be a set, being an amazing cleaner late game, especially if running Adamant, since Scarf Garchomp doesn't even exist anymore.

I guess it is outclassed but both Keldeo and Terrakion, but it packs much more power, reckless HJK wrecks shit.

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 204-241 (57.1 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 259-306 (72.5 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Whatever happened to "Mienshao is ass" "Mienshao is unviable" etc? I remember bringing it up more than once in the viability threads a while ago. I can't see how the Mawile ban influenced Mienshao much, the Aegis ban was the big one in my opinion. I'm just curious as to why it is now getting an analysis, and am also mad because I liek Mienshao and Albacore sux
To be fair, I searched "Mienshao" in the index thread and the latest mention it got before these last couple of days was in...March. Specifically, just before the Swagger ban. A lot has changed in the past half a year that has made Mienshao more viable that it was back then (as you said, the loss of Aegislash is a pretty major reason).

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think you should be more in-depth with your team options. Mienshao appreciates support from pokemon who can take powerful attacks aimed at it such as talonflames brave bird and pinsirs quick attack, so definitely name rotom-w as a partner. Mienshao forces switches with HJK+ U-turn so things that can set up spikes/hazards ferrothorn, skarm, lando-t are also nice partners that latter forming a u-turn core. Pokemon that can switch into fairy types liek clef/garde are also appreciate (this is where you would insert heatran). Things like that. Also pokemon to beat switch-ins liek Venusaur (you could name latias and talonflame).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
With Sash Breloom getting rarer, i don't think that Fake Out is a must on the first set anymore, so i would slash Poison Jab after it. Knock Off should also probably get a mention somewhere on the first set, because it's almost as useful as Poison Jab, considering how Gengar is everywhere, and Poison Jab only really covers Clefable.

Albacore

Written this up. Isn't Knock Off incompatible with Reckless and therefore not an option on the first set?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
While the overview is solid in general, i think it downplays a bit how niche Mienshao is, as it's not stated anywhere that it's outclassed by other Fighting-types, such as Terrakion, Mega Medicham, and Mega Heracross, just that it faces competition from them. So yeah, make sure to let the reader know how niche Mienshao is.

In the Moves section of the first set, i would explicitly mention that Fake Out + HJK 2HKOes all those leads you mentioned, because the current wording seems a bit ambiguous (or maybe it's just me).

Also, HJK with SR up has a 35% chance to 2HKO Mega Gardevoir, while U-turn does 48% minimum, so i wouldn't say that Mienshao needs Poison Jab for Mega Gardevoir, just that it's nice to have for the 1 v 1 situation. The real reason to use Poison Jab though is for Clefable, which hard walls Mienshao otherwise.

As for Stone Edge, i would mention that it's mostly needed for faster Flying-types, because Mega Charizard Y is 2HKOed by HJK for example.

On the second set, i wouldn't mention Drain Punch at all, it's pointless when you have Regenerator anyway. I would also mention that Knock Off + U-turn + Regenerator is an amazing combo for wearing down the opponent.

Reword the part that says that Thundurus doesn't care about HJK, it can only switch into this move once.

After one Life Orb round and when Regenerator activates, you gain back a net amount of 23% health, not 25%.

Also, in the usage tips, explain how Knock Off is a good move to use if you expect a check or counter to switch-in, as long as it's not a MEvo, because it means that you will have an easier time wearing it down late in the game.

Finally, for both sets, mention a Stealth Rock setter that has good synergy with Mienshao. You already mentioned Heatran btw, so you can just add that Heatran can set up SR too, which greatly benefits Mienshao.

Add SubPass in OO.

In checks and counters, explain how Mega Gardevoir is a shitty check, because it's 2HKOed by U-turn and even Reckless HJK if SR is up. Also, add Mega Venusaur and Hippowdon in checks and counters, explaining how they fare vs Mienshao.

Do those and i will give you my stamp.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, here's an amcheck.

Overview
########

Sporting solid but in no way remarkable 125/95/105 125 / 95 / 105 (add spaces) offenses and almost nonexistent bulk, Mienshao has a very hard time carving itself a niche in the OU metagame, given that it is, for the mot part, outclassed by faster, stronger fighting types Fighting-types, such as Terrakion, (AC) and Mega-Medicham (remove hyphen), as well as bulkier options like Mega-Heracross (remove hyphen) and Conkeldurr. However, Mienshao can take advantage of 2 two very good abilities in Reckless and Regenerator,; one of which the former powers up its main STAB move, High Jump Kick, to great levels, (AC) and the other which latter prolongs its survival longevity. It also has access to a few utility moves; : Fake Out makes it a good sash Focus Sash breaker and anti-lead, while U-turn is great at generating momentum and pairs up extremely well with Regenerator. Mienshao's movepool gives it the ability to hit Fairy-, Psychic-, and Ghost-types (add hyphens) quite types quite hard, (RC) courtesy of Poison Jab and Knock Off respectively. Although Mienshao is hard to justify using over other Fighting Types, it has enough qualities to find its use on certain teams. (fluff + generic Overview-closing sentence)

Life Orb Attacker
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is a great main STAB move,(RC) as it hits very hard thanks to Reckless and even severely dents some of the frailer Pokemon that resist it, (AC) such as Latios and Talonflame. U-turn not only gives Mienshao a bit more utility, enabling it to generate momentum and bring something in for free, but also hits Psychic-types, (add hyphen and comma) such as like Latias, Starmie, (AC) and Celebi, (AC) who which would be be able to switch into it without too much difficulty otherwise. Fake Out makes it a good counteranti-lead, enabling it to break the sashes Focus Sashes of the likes of Garchomp, Breloom, Mamoswine, and Tyranitar, all of which it can KO with High Jump Kick the next turn. Hidden Power Ice is the prefferred move in the last slot since it hits Landorus-T and Gliscor, all both of which can easily switch on any other one of Mienshao's moves. However, Poison Jab is also a very good option to that hits Fairies, (AC) such as Mega Gardevoir and Clefable, (AC) which take little damage from High Jump Kick and U-turn, particularly Clefable who walls Mienshao otherwise, while also hitting Mega-Gardevoir for heavy damage. It should be noted that Poison Jab isn't necessary for hitting Azumarill since High Jump Kick 2HKOes it anyway. Stone Edge can also be a decent option, enabling you Mienshao to hit faster Flying-types, (add hyphen and comma) such as Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir,; however, most flying types Flying-types are hit very hard by your its STAB High Jump Kick regardless.
(remove extra line here)
Set Details
========

This set runs a fully offensive EVs spread since there is no real benefit to investing anywhere else, with Mienshao being as frail as it is. A Speed-boosting nature is necessary to be an effective counteranti-lead against Garchomp, as well as and outspeed Landorus-I. Reckless is the preferred ability on this particular set, given that it powers up Mienshao's High Jump Kick, making it hit a lot harder. Specifically, it guarantees that a combination of Fake Out and High Jump Kick Fake Out+HJK will KO Focus Sash Garchomp. Life Orb increases the power of Mienshao's moves without locking it into any of them, which would be very counterproductive with Fake Out. If you dislike Mienshao taking recoil damage from Fake Out and U-turn giving you recoil, a Fist Plate can be given to Mienshao it instead. A Naive nature should be used if Hidden Power Ice is ran on the set, being used; otherwise, a if not, spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed with a Jolly nature should be used.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used as a lead and anti-lead first and foremost, (RC) to stop the opponent from gaining momentum early on in the match. Use Fake Out on the first turn when facing a Focus Sash lead or if you Mienshao needs the prior damage to take it the opponent out,; however, (AC) don't be too reckless (hehe boi) when using Fake Out since you Mienshao may take recoil for no good reason, especially if the opponent sends in a Rough Skin or Iron Barbs Pokemon predicting the Fake Out. You Mienshao should always use U-turn on slower Pokemon that threaten you it, (RC) unless they carry priority, (AC) in which case you should pull a manual switch if you want to keep Mienshao for later. Don't spam High Jump Kick or Fake Out against any team that carries a Ghost-type (add hyphen), since that can backfire very badly for obvious reasons. Instead, pPlay around Ghost-types with U-turn instead. (add period)

Team Options
========

Mienshao is To to be used on offensive teams that want to stop opposing offensive teams that employ a sash Focus Sash lead from laying down entry hazards. Make sure you have something a Pokemon that can take on bulky Psychic-types, (AC + add hyphen) such as Slowbro or Cresselia, since Mienshao cannot get past thesem. You should also have an answer, such as Venusaur, Jirachi, (how is Jirachi an answer to Fire-types?) and Heatran, to Firey-types (add hyphen) such as Venusaur, Jirachi or Heatran, especially if you do not run Poison Jab, as well as something that can check Talonflame and Pinsir for the twoy can take care of Mienshao very easily. A Pursuit user, (AC) such as Choice Scarf Tyranitear, (AC) is a very good partner, (AC) since Mienshao can bait in Ghost-types, (AC + add hyphen) such as like Gengar, (AC) and Psychic-types, (AC+ add hyphen) such as like Latios, use U-turn on them, and subsequently trap them with the Pursuit user of choice. Tyranitar is particularly good given that it also checks Flying-types (add hyphen). Mienshao also enjoys the support of a Stealth Rock setter, (AC) such as Heatran and Mamowine, (AC) to wear down the opposing team.

Offensive Pivot
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is your Mienshao's most powerful STAB move. U-turn is an absolute must, as it not only does it hits Psychic-types (add hyphen) quite hard, but it also pairs up very well with Regenerator, giving Mienshao a good chunk of health back every time it uses the move. Knock Off is a very good move on this set, since it hits Ghost-types, (add hyphen) deals more damage to Psychic-types (add hyphen) than U-turn and has great utility in general. When combined with Knock Off, combined with U-turn and Regenerator, (RC) makes Mienshao very good at wearing down foes. Hidden Power Ice hits bulky Flying- and Ground-types, (add hyphens) specifically Gliscor, Landorus-I and Landorus-IT. However, Poison Jab nets a 2HKO on Fairies such as Clefable, Mega-Gardevoir, (remove hyphen) and Azumarill, while Stone Edge lets you Mienshao hit Flying-types (add hyphen) that fear neither High Junp Kick nor U-turn, such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard-Y, (remove hyphen) Tornadus-T, and Mega Pinsir. Fake Out is usable, but most Pokemon who tend to switching into switch-ins Mienshao don't mind Fake Out anyway.

Set Details
========

Full offensive EVs should be a given, as there is no benefit to investing in Mienshao's bulk. A Speed-increasing (add hyphen) nature lets you Mienshao outspeed Garchomp and, (AC) Landorus-T, (AC) and as well as positive-natured base 100s. Regenerator gives Mienshao a solid amount of survivability longevity and stops it from getting worn down, especially when combined with U-turn. Life Orb pairs extremely well with Regenerator since it Regenerator cancels out its recoil damage and then some, givesing you Mienshao 23% of your its health back every tilme you U-turn. A Naive nature should be the chosen nature if Hidden Power Ice is used,;otherwise, a Jolly nature with a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed is better otherwise since, (RC) athough you don't really need the extra bulk isn't necessary, you Mienshao do not need the Special Attack for anything.

Usage Tips
========

U-turn should be used most of the time, especially early-game, to rack up chip damage on the opponent. Always U-turn out of slower Pokemon you that Mienshao cannot KO and chich lack priority which that threatens Mienshao. If you predict a Ghost-type (add hyphen) to come in to absorb High Jump Kick, either use Knock Off or U-turn out into a Pursuit trapper. Knock Off is a very safe move to use in general if you expect a check to switch in, since even Pokemon that resist it are crippled by it, excluding Mega Evolutions. Specifically, it Knock Off removes Leftovers, (AC) which lets you Mienshao wear down defensive switch-ins (AC) more easily.

Team Options
========

A Pursuit trappers are is a very good partners for Mienshao, since they can deal with the Ghost- (add hyphen) and Psychic-types (add hyphen) that casuse trouble for it. Bisharp is very good given that it also checks Clefable. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is also a solid partner too given its ability to check Flying-types (add hyphen). Mienshao enjoys support from something Pokemon that can take priority moves aimed at it, specifically Flying-type priority moves from Pinsir and Talonflame. Rotom-W in particular is a good pick teammate, especially since it also forms a VoltTurn core with Mienshao, (RC) and also chekcks Azumarill and Sand Rush Excadrill, who which can cause trouble for it Mienshao. Since Mienshao is very vulnerable to Fairy-type attacks, something a teammate that can switch into them easily, (AC) such as Heatran or Mega-Scizor, (AC) (remove hyphen) is very appreciated too. Heatran also lays down Stealth Rocks, (AC) which helps wear down Mienshao's checks.

Other Options
########

Mienshao can run a decent Choice Scarf set thanks to U-turn, however, but it receives a lot of competition from Landorus-T, (AC) which who is far bulkier and has a typing more suited for a Choice Scarf user, and Terrakion, (AC) which who is faster and has far a better dual STAB coverage combination. Mienshao can also run a Substitute + Baton Pass (add spaces) set, which abuses takes advantage of the switches it causes and can easily let something come in for free, possibly behind a Substitute. This set also pairs very well with Regenerator, since Mienshao gets health back every time it passes a Substitute.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ghost Types Ghost-types**(remove space): Gengar, Gourgeist-S, (AC) and Sableye are all very threatening to Mienshao, since they stop it from safely using High Jump Kick. Reckless Mienshao can't do much to ghosts Ghost-types in general, though the Regenerator version set has access to Knock Off and can therefore hurt them more.

**Fairy TypesFairy-types**(remove space): Fairy-types, (AC + add hyphen) such as like Clefable, (AC) and can take a High Jump Kicks or two and retaliate with a super-effective (remove hyphen) STAB move. They do not fear any move from Mienshao besides Poison Jab, (RC) and can therefore easily switch into it. However, some less bulky Fairy-types (add hyphen) still take a lot from its main STAB High Jump Kick: for instance, Azumarill and Mega-Gardevoir are 2HKOed by Reckless Life Orb High Jump Kick if Stealth Rocks are is up.

**Flying types Flying-types**(remove space): Flying-types, (AC + add hyphen) such as like Tornadus-T, Thundurus, Talonflame, and Mega-Charizard Y, (AC) (remove hyphen) resist Mienshao's most common moves and can OHKO it with a super-effective STAB move, although Mega Charizard Y can easily OHKO (with the exception of Mega Charizard-Y, who easily OHKOs Mienshao anyway). (add period)

**Priority Users**(remove space): Mienshao's lack of bulk and poor defensive typing make it very weak to priority from the likes of Pinsir, Azumarill, and Dragonite. (add period)

**Faster Attackers**(remove space): Due to Mienshao's extreme frailty, almost any faster attacker, such as (Greninja, Keldeo, and Terrakion), (AC) or Choice Scarf user, such as (Landorus-T, Heatran, and Garchomp), (AC) can threaten to KO it. (add period)

**Psychic-types (add hyphen)**(remove space): Faster psychic types Psychic-types that are faster than Mienshao and can take one High Jump Kick, (AC) such as Latios, Starmie, and Azelf, (AC) and threaten to KO it, while bulkier psychics Psychic-types, such as like Slowbro, Mew, and Cresselia, (AC) can take U-turn and even Knock Off from it,. However, they U-turn lets Mienshao escape as well as while dealing a big chunk of damage. (add period)

**Poison-types (add hyphen)**(remove space): Poison-types, (add comma and hyphen) such as Mega-Venusaur (remove hyphen) and Amoonguss, (AC) resist Mienshao's main STAB move and can usually take every other move it carries quite well.

**Bulky Ground-types (add hyphen)**(remove space): If Mienshao lacks Hidden Power Ice, most bulky Ground-types, (add hyphen and comma) such as like Landorus-T and Gliscor, (AC) can usually take it on decently, (AC) though the former gets worn down by repeated GHigh Jump Kicks a lot. Hippowdon gets a spaecial mention for its ability to even take Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ices.

Jukain

!_!
there's a misspelling of 'most' in the first sentence of the overview, also second-to-last sentence of first set usage tips please use 'as' instead of 'since'

stamping weebl's check, gp 1/2

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (coments)

Overview
########

Sporting solid but in no way remarkable 125 / 95 / 105 offenses and almost nonexistent bulk, Mienshao has a very hard time carving itself a niche in the OU metagame, given that it is, for the most part, mostly outclassed by faster, (remove comma) or stronger Fighting-types such as Terrakion, and Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, (comma) and Conkeldurr. However, Mienshao can take advantage of two very good abilities in Reckless and Regenerator; the former powers up its main STAB move, High Jump Kick, to great levels, and the latter increases its longevity. (remove line break) It also has access to a few utility moves: (semicolon to colon) Fake Out makes it a good Focus Sash breaker and anti-lead, while U-turn is great at generating momentum and pairs up extremely well with Regenerator. Mienshao's movepool also gives it the ability to hit Fairy-, Psychic-, and Ghost-types (dashes) quite hard, (comma) courtesy of Poison Jab and Knock Off respectively.

Life Orb Attacker
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is a great main STAB move because as it hits very hard thanks to Reckless and even severely dents some of the frailer Pokemon that resist it, such as Latios and Talonflame. U-turn not only gives Mienshao a bit more utility, enabling it to generate momentum and bring something in for free, but also hits Psychic-types, such as Latias, Starmie, and Celebi, which would be be able to switch into it quite easily without too much difficulty otherwise. Fake Out makes it Mienshao a good anti-lead, enabling it to break the Focus Sashes of the likes of Garchomp, Breloom, Mamoswine, and Tyranitar, all of which it can KO with High Jump Kick the next turn. Hidden Power Ice is the preferred move in the last slot since it hits Landorus-T and Gliscor, both of which can easily switch into on any other one of Mienshao's moves. However, Poison Jab is also a very good option that hits Fairies, (AC) such as Mega Gardevoir and Clefable, which take little damage from High Jump Kick and U-turn for heavy damage. It should be noted that Poison Jab isn't necessary for hitting Azumarill since High Jump Kick 2HKOes it anyway. Stone Edge can also be a decent option, enabling Mienshao to hit faster Flying-types, such as Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir; however, most Flying-types are hit very hard by its STAB High Jump Kick regardless.

Set Details
========

This set runs a fully offensive EV spread since there is no real benefit to investing anywhere else, (remove comma) with Mienshao being as frail as it is. A Speed-boosting nature is necessary to be an effective anti-lead against Garchomp and outspeed Landorus. Reckless is the preferred ability given that it powers up Mienshao's High Jump Kick, making it hit a lot harder. Specifically, it guarantees that a combination of Fake Out and High Jump Kick will KO Focus Sash Garchomp. Life Orb increases the power of Mienshao's moves without locking it into any of them, which would be very counterproductive with Fake Out. If you dislike Mienshao taking recoil damage from Fake Out and U-turn, a Fist Plate can be given to it instead. A Naive nature and the given spread should be used if Hidden Power Ice is being used; otherwise, a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed with a Jolly nature should be used instead.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used as a lead and anti-lead to stop the opponent from gaining momentum early on in the match. Use Fake Out on the first turn when facing a Focus Sash lead or if Mienshao needs the prior damage to take the opponent out; however, don't be too reckless when using Fake Out since Mienshao may take recoil for no good reason, especially if the opponent sends in a Rough Skin or Iron Barbs Pokemon predicting the Fake Out. Mienshao should always use U-turn on slower Pokemon that threaten it unless they carry priority, in which case you should pull a manual switch if you want to keep Mienshao for later. Don't spam High Jump Kick or Fake Out against any team that carries a Ghost-type, as this that can backfire very badly for obvious reasons. Play around Ghost-types with U-turn instead.

Team Options
========

Mienshao should is to be used on offensive teams that want to stop opposing offensive teams that employ a Focus Sash lead from laying down entry hazards. Make sure you have a Pokemon that can take on bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowbro or and Cresselia, since Mienshao cannot get past them. You should also have an answer to Fairy-types, especially if you do not run Poison Jab, as well as something that can check Talonflame and Pinsir, (comma) for they can take care of Mienshao very easily. A Pursuit user, such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar, is a very good partner since Mienshao can bait in Ghost-types, (remove comma) such as Gengar, (remove comma) and Psychic-types, (remove comma) such as Latios, use U-turn on them, and subsequently trap them with the Pursuit user of choice. Tyranitar is particularly good for this role given that it also checks Flying-types . Mienshao also enjoys the support from of a Stealth Rock setter, (remove comma) such as Heatran or Mamowine, (remove comma) to wear down the opposing team.

Offensive Pivot
########

Moves
========

High Jump Kick is Mienshao's most powerful STAB move. U-turn is also an absolute must, as it not only hits Psychic-types quite hard, but it also pairs up very well with Regenerator, giving Mienshao a good chunk of health back every time it uses the move. Knock Off is a very good move, since it hits Ghost-types, deals more damage to Psychic-types than U-turn, (comma) and has great utility in general. When combined with Knock Off, U-turn and Regenerator make Mienshao very good at wearing down foes. Hidden Power Ice hits bulky Flying-and Ground-types, specifically Gliscor, Landorus and Landorus-T. However, Poison Jab nets a 2HKO on Fairies such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Azumarill, while Stone Edge lets Mienshao hit Flying-types that fear neither High Jump Kick nor U-turn, such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Tornadus-T, and Mega Pinsir. Fake Out is usable, but most switch-ins to Mienshao don't mind Fake Out anyway.

Set Details
========

Fully offensive EVs should be a given, as there is no benefit to investing in Mienshao's bulk. A Speed-increasing nature enables Mienshao to outspeed Garchomp, (AC)Landorus-T, (AC) and positive-natured base 100s. Regenerator gives Mienshao a solid amount of longevity and stops it from getting worn down, especially when combined with U-turn. Life Orb pairs extremely well with Regenerator since Regenerator cancels out its recoil damage and then some, giving Mienshao 23% of its health back every time it uses U-turn. A Naive nature should be chosen if Hidden Power Ice is used; otherwise, a Jolly nature with a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed is better since although the extra bulk isn't necessary, Mienshao does not need the Special Attack for anything.

Usage Tips
========

U-turn should be used most of the time, especially early-game, to rack up chip damage on the opponent. Always U-turn out of slower Pokemon that Mienshao cannot KO and that lack priority that threatens Mienshao. If you predict a Ghost-type to come in to absorb High Jump Kick, either use Knock Off or U-turn out into a Pursuit trapper. Knock Off is a very safe move to use in general if you expect a check to switch in, since even Pokemon that resist it are crippled by it, excluding Mega Evolutions. Specifically, Knock Off removes Leftovers, which lets Mienshao wear down defensive switch-ins more easily.

Team Options
========

Pursuit trappers are very good partners for Mienshao, since they can deal with the Ghost- and Psychic-types that cause trouble for it. Bisharp is very good for this role because given that it also checks Clefable. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is also a solid partner given its ability to check Flying-types. Mienshao enjoys support from Pokemon that can take priority moves aimed at it, specifically Flying-type priority moves from Pinsir and Talonflame. Rotom-W in particular is a good teammate since it forms a VoltTurn core with Mienshao and checks Azumarill and Sand Rush Excadrill, both of which can cause trouble for Mienshao. Since Mienshao is very vulnerable to Fairy-type attacks, a teammate that can switch into them easily, such as Heatran or Mega Scizor, (comma) is appreciated. Heatran also lays down Stealth Rock, which helps wear down Mienshao's checks.

Other Options
########

Mienshao can run a decent Choice Scarf set thanks to U-turn, but it receives a lot of competition from Landorus-T, which is far bulkier and has a typing more suited for a Choice Scarf user, (comma) and Terrakion, which is faster and has far a far better STAB combination. Mienshao can also run a Substitute + Baton Pass set, which takes advantage of the switches it causes and can easily let something come in for free, possibly behind a Substitute. This set also pairs very well with Regenerator, since Mienshao gets health back every time it passes a Substitute.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ghost-types**: Mega-Sableye, Gengar, and Gourgeist-S are all very threatening to Mienshao, since they stop it from safely using High Jump Kick. Reckless Mienshao can't do much to Ghost-types in general, but the Regenerator set runs has access to Knock Off and can therefore hurt them more.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types, (remove comma) such as Clefable, (remove comma) can take High Jump Kicks and retaliate with a super effective STAB move. They do not fear any move from Mienshao besides Poison Jab and can therefore easily switch into it. However, some less bulky Fairy-types still take a lot of damage from High Jump Kick: for instance, Azumarill and Mega Gardevoir are 2HKOed by Reckless Life Orb High Jump Kick if Stealth Rock is up.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types, such as Tornadus-T, Thundurus, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y, resist Mienshao's most common moves and can OHKO it with a super effective STAB move. (period), or STAB Fire move in Mega Charizard Y's case

**Priority Users**(no space): Mienshao's lack of bulk and average defensive typing make it very weak to priority from the likes of Pinsir, Azumarill, and Dragonite.

**Faster Attackers**(no space): (remove line break) Due to Mienshao's extreme frailty, almost any faster attacker, such as Greninja, Keldeo, and Terrakion, or Choice Scarf user, such as Landorus-T, Heatran, and or Garchomp), (remove parenthesis) can threaten to KO it.

**Psychic-types**: Faster Psychic-types that are faster than Mienshao and can take one High Jump Kick, such as Latios, Starmie, and Azelf, threaten to KO it, while bulkier Psychic-types, such as Slowbro, Mew, and Cresselia, can take U-turn and even Knock Off from it. However, U-turn lets Mienshao escape while dealing a big chunk of damage.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, (remove comma) resist Mienshao's main STAB move and can usually take every other move it carries quite well.

**Bulky Ground-types**: If Mienshao lacks Hidden Power Ice, most bulky Ground-types, such as Landorus-T and Gliscor, can usually take it on decently, though the former gets worn down by repeated High Jump Kicks a lot. Hippowdon gets a special mention for its ability to even take even Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)