Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pardon my ignorance, Found it under tiers. I thought there would be a server dedicated to it. Thanks.
Nope, pretty much everything important is on the Smogon server unless you want to play some weird OM for some reason

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've updated the Twitter page, but a reminder to those of you in North America needing OR/AS demo codes: today is the last day to sign up for the email to get a code through the Pokemon trainer club, to be received tomorrow. The same login you use for the Global Link works for the rest of the site. There will be other opportunities to get one, but waiting sucks lol.

I am trying to get into battlespot battling now, anyone here who can help me with the basics?
Look through the threads we have here and chat in the showdown room for some help. It's hard to explain everything in one post but most of the threads we have here explain everything you need to know. :) And chatting with people who know what they're doing on showdown/irc is always nice too, they can give you insight you might not find here.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am trying to get into battlespot battling now, anyone here who can help me with the basics?
Hey Arhan, (I'm not trying to have a go here but..) try lurking/reading a couple of the threads we have here like the Singles Viability Rankings thread or Singles General Discussion thread. There's also the Teambuilding / RMT thread as well as things like the Doubles Discussion thread, CCAT Triple thread etc. No one is going to give you a full run down in the Simple Questions thread, you need to do some of the work yourself :) Once you have a general idea for Pokemon / teams you want to use and what meta (singles/doubles/etc.) you want to play then someone can give you some more detailed advice (but make sure you post in the respective thread!

I guess the main thing is that the metagames are much more fast-paced because they aren't 6v6 (3v3 singles, 4v4 doubles) so heavy offence tends to be the most popular playstyle. We also have a different ban-list (same as the Battle Maison), meaning that things like Mega Kangaskhan and Aegislash run rampant so be sure to have answers for these sorts of threats.

Age of Kings (feat. Hulavuta & EnGarde) wrote an awesome article for The Smog which I would recommend checking out too

Anyway good luck and I hope you enjoy Batle Spot!

Last edited:
I'm just curious where most of the pokemon on battle spot come from. Are they mostly hand bred, with perfect iv's? Are they all ev trained? Or are most of them created through cloning/power saving, ect?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi TKStoll2005 and welcome to Smogon!

In the future I would recommend asking in the Simple Questions Thread (each subforum has their own, I've just linked you to ours) as it is not necessary to create a whole new thread for this.

Onto your question, all/most pokemon on Battle Spot have either been bred/caught in XY or RNG'd in BW/BW2. While some hacked Pokemon can make it through Pokebank, they usually aren't allowed on Battle Spot due to BS's better security checks, although thing's that have been 'legit hacked' (all their info corresponds to something that is legitimately available) have been known to make it onto BS iirc. One thing for sure is that you won't run into any obvious hacks like Wonder Guard Spiritomb or Sturdy Shedinja.

Any serious battler will have Pokemon with flawless IVs and will be EV trained. Of course at the lower end of the ladder you will run into people who do not have perfect Pokemon (usually in-game teams etc). Afaik you cannot create Pokemon via Powersaves, but there are a lot of clones running around which are perfectly legal as far as we are concerned (you can even request for cloned, battle-ready Pokemon here if you are planning on having a serious go at Battle Spot, as we understand that breeding can be a chore sometimes

Separate from Battle Spot are the battles you can have with Passersbys on the PSS, while I don't play battles there I have heard of people using hacks in those battles, so be careful...

Nintendo also runs weekend tournaments such as the Halloween Party or the Fairy Face-Off where it is necessary for Pokemon to have the 'Pentagon' that signifies that they are Kalos / Gen VI born, so no chance of hacks there. Also when ORAS is released, its Battle Spot will have the Pentagon rule in effect in all battles, effectively eliminating the chance of hacks from the game!

Anyway hope that answered your questions!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
cant say is right about the Simple Question thread, I merged this for you!

The short answer is that yes, almost every team you face is going to be properly IV bred and EV trained, and there are significant hack checks to prevent illegitimate Pokemon from being used. Cloning and RNG abuse of pre-Gen 6 games are legitimate though.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Hey guys, I want to do a giveaway since OR/AS is coming up and I was wondering what new Mega people want most so they can be ready to go when the games drop.

I posted on Twitter and I have one vote each for DD Mence and Beedrill. Can be any new Mega that's legal on Battle Spot so no troll Diancie posts :P

Hey guys, I want to do a giveaway since OR/AS is coming up and I was wondering what new Mega people want most so they can be ready to go when the games drop.

I posted on Twitter and I have one vote each for DD Mence and Beedrill. Can be any new Mega that's legal on Battle Spot so no troll Diancie posts :P
Lopunny would be cool

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet

I vote ddance mega'mence. Is jolly or adamant better?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I have females of both, thinking people would prefer Jolly but I personally have no preference. Adamant speed ties with +Speed base 105s for reference, and I think is typically better for bulky sets.

Votes right now:
DD Mence - 2
Beedrill - 1
Lopunny - 1

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I have females of both, thinking people would prefer Jolly but I personally have no preference. Adamant speed ties with +Speed base 105s for reference, and I think is typically better for bulky sets.

Votes right now:
DD Mence - 2
Beedrill - 1
Lopunny - 1
+1 for Mence from me (it's the only one I haven't got around to breeding for myself yet hehe). Perhaps a mixed nature would be good for it (naive / naughty / rash (gotta save that physical def!)). Even DD sets can benefit from a Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump / Hyper Voice

edit: especially since it's a giveaway it would be nice to give people options since they're not breeding themselves

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Ok, looks like I'm doing DD Mence. I already have perfect parents with Hydro Pump / DD, and I think I'll just do Jolly since it's the generic option. Thinking of maybe throwing on Thrash too, since it's better than Outrage for a nuke. BRB FOR A WEEK OR TWO

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Hey, whats a good ranking for battle spot doubles, im at 1700 now, would like to know if its good.
tbh I think NOVED is being a little extreme (I'm taking his use of the word 'good' quite literally here). A ranking in the 1700s is nothing to scoff at, and I've found the 1700-1800 bracket quite competitive. I know for a fact if you stopped playing and submitted your score at the end of the season to the Smogon Battle Spot Leaderboard you'd probably be right up there for the doubles ranks (I'm going off past submissions here). If you take a look at the PGL rankings (under maintenance at time of writing this) you'll notice that the best players are ranked from 1900-2000+ though, but it also takes a butt load of battles to reach that high.

tl;dr I think you're good ^_^

I'll be more precise. I think 1700 is above average. 1800+ is good. And under 1700, you could use improvement.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Well, i dont battle a lot, and every time global link goes under maintenance, my score is reseted to 1500.
Huh, that's a really weird issue. Are you sure you're playing rated? Rating only resets at the beginning of a season.

If you manage to work it out, we have a leaderboard thread where you can submit your rating at the end of every season (the next one being Nov 13th) so you can see how you stack up against other Smogoners!

Is hitmontop viable with quick gurd, wide guard, feint, close combat, im a little afraid of using it without fake out, but I want to protect zard y from both pranksters and rock slides

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)