ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, the lake trio battle music is back! That was my favorite track from Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum (yes, even better then the Team Galactic Battle Theme although that is pretty good).

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So if Nintendo's servers can't handle the load for ONE region downloading a single demo as apparently this wasn't an issue for Europe or Japan....then remind me how they're going to handle OR/AS and Sm4sh Wii U on the same day? Nintendo Network services are run on the same servers afaik.

Yes, I'm salty. Especially since at this point it seems like Battle Spot will be down for a good while in November between maintenance and poor infrastructure.

So if Nintendo's servers can't handle the load for ONE region downloading a single demo as apparently this wasn't an issue for Europe or Japan....then remind me how they're going to handle OR/AS and Sm4sh Wii U on the same day? Nintendo Network services are run on the same servers afaik.

Yes, I'm salty. Especially since at this point it seems like Battle Spot will be down for a good while in November between maintenance and poor infrastructure.
My thoughts exactly. Was seriously just about to post this exact same thought. They can totally handle the traffic related to the demo of this game. Refreshing my email is making me grumpig.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

I would think the WiiU and 3DS eShop run on seperate servers, so I don't think Smash/ORAS being released on the same day would be an issue.

But then again, I don't know how Nintendo runs their servers, so I could be wrong. But if the eShop runs on a single server for both consoles, all I got to say is...lol.

Anyway, still no code. Really hope it'll be there by the time I get back home, otherwise my inner 2003 self is gonna be moody like a Glalie.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of the animations look unrefined. I was just staring at Loudred in the demo, and it looked like they rehired the drips who did the crappy Colo/XD animations. Blaziken's hair has an obvious bounce and M-Blaze's fire seems to whip back and forth more than it used to. Everything seems livelier than it should be, I think. A lot of the idle animations just don't seem as organic as they did in XY.

The environment in Mossdeep is so vivid and the NPCs are so much more expressive and characterized than in XY, so it looks like they put some game art resources to good use.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
does anyone have any idea what "Shitenno" "higana" and the norapokes would relate to
SPECCIAL might by various trainer or wild battle themes?
Higana is Zinnia in Japanese (ヒガナ appears in the same places as Zinnia in the text dumps), and norapoke is the wild battle theme (seems they left the XY one in there too).

Also, STRM_BGM_VS_SPECIAL_01 is the Gen 1 wild battle remix from XY (used for Mewtwo and the birds), and STRM_BGM_VS_SECRET_01 is the World Champion theme (RBY Champion remix).

Last edited:
I would think the WiiU and 3DS eShop run on seperate servers, so I don't think Smash/ORAS being released on the same day would be an issue.

But then again, I don't know how Nintendo runs their servers, so I could be wrong. But if the eShop runs on a single server for both consoles, all I got to say is...lol.

Anyway, still no code. Really hope it'll be there by the time I get back home, otherwise my inner 2003 self is gonna be moody like a Glalie.
Either way the traffic associated with the release of the actual ORAS game around the world will be heavier than the traffic of just the demo in just NA. So no excuses! lol

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
So, I finally got my code, but for some reason, I got two emails with different codes in them. lol

If someone forgot to sign up for the PTC newsletter and didn't get the code, I have a spare I can pass along.

So, I finally got my code, but for some reason, I got two emails with different codes in them. lol

If someone forgot to sign up for the PTC newsletter and didn't get the code, I have a spare I can pass along.
I'd be happy to take it if you still have it :P

Glad to see that I didn't mess up and somehow not sign up for the newsletter. Annoyed at the delay however. Does anyone know how they are distributing e-mail s? Randomly, or is there some other method?

any news on how they are distributing the codes/newsletters...been refreshing my email since 1am this morning (wife is pisssssssed at me xD)

also hello :D im new here

SoulMuse and Tareowulfe, It's been discussed.
Literally one page back.
Just read everything on pages 135 and 136 of this thread and you should be all caught up on distribution issues, m'kay?

EDIT: Ondore this is not the site/place for tech support. You should be getting in contact with TPCi

I *just* got the email about five minutes ago.

And of course, the image where the code should be is either a broken link or just says "coupon". Who do I call for this?

SoulMuse and Tareowulfe, It's been discussed.
Literally one page back.
Just read everything on pages 135 and 136 of this thread and you should be all caught up on distribution issues, m'kay?

EDIT: Ondore this is not the site/place for tech support. You should be getting in contact with TPCi
yea sorry just checked, I've been a long time stalker of the site and just read 134 pages today, i decided to forgo the last couple of pages and just ask my question...i prolly should of just finished... but thanks for the update xD

Edit: as far i know it hasnt been answered yet and really sorry if it has but have we found out what the requirements are to receive the items from demo and if there is anything to the whole "play every day for a special prize" detail they added...from what i read after a set number of re-runs of the demo you end up just getting heart scales

I *just* got the email about five minutes ago.

And of course, the image where the code should be is either a broken link or just says "coupon". Who do I call for this?
Mine is doing this too, I opened the email this morning (which of course came while I was in the middle of mountains of schoolwork that I couldn't put down to play the demo)and the code was there just fine but now I have a broken image where the code should be.

Also the eShop isn't opening on my 3ds

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I didn't receive any code, but a friend gave me his because he couldn't use it (he's registred on Brazilian eShop).

My 3DS wasn't downloading the demo because of my Firewall, I deactivated it but the download never finished.

Then I realized I hadn't really deactivated the firewall, but the antivirus (lolwut).

The moment I finally deactivate it, the eShop goes under maintenance.

Fuck.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay! Just finished playing through my demo! Well, at least for today, I got did all the 10 "standard" missions plus an extra one and tomorrow I'll play a batch more to see what other stuff I get. Still, here is some of my insight of what happened:

The game starts with me and Steven Soaring to Mossdeep City on Latias and it looks GORGEOUS, especially in 3D! I can't wait till the main game when I can fly wherever I want and perform tricks too!

So yeah, got to Mossdeep and after a rather long cutscene I'm finally given the ability to run around Mossdeep City and it's looking great! It's laid out just like how it was in the original game, with some additions! They added a ramp so that you can run right up to the rocket ship. Also the "marsh" area sort of has a little alcove within it. But other then that it's still Mossdeep City.

So when you first start the game there's a few characters around. At Steven's House there's a little boy standing in front of it and says that there's something invisible blocking the door (which is odd. All the other house doors are locked, yet for some reason they felt like putting an invisible Kecleon in front of Steven's? Why? Is that what Steven got the Devon Scope, there was a Kecleon blocking his house?) and nearby there's a boy who says Steven likes giving out stones (Mega Stones perhaps? And yes, I know in the original game the boy gives you a King's Rock). Steven is blocking the Pokemon Center while two PokeMart owners are blocking the PokeMart and its revealed that the Mossdeep PokeMart owner is the older brother of the Oldale PokeMart owner. Tate & Liza are in front of their Gym which I guess, if it wasn't for the hacking, this would be out first glimpse of their new design. Obviously if you go inside the Gym they yell at you so I continue on toward the space station. On the way there's a sailor who mentions Wailmer vanishing near Lilycove (a cute reference), a girl talking about the White Rock (she gave a lot of allusions to Jirachi mentioning wishes and wish tags, maybe if we bring Jirachi to the White Rock something will happen?), and finally there's a guy on the ramp to the rocket that mentions you normally get around Hoenn's water routes by boat or using a Pokemon to Surf. Also after beating the first playthrough Professor Cosmo's assistant blocks the door to the Space Center telling you Cosmo had to go somewhere but gives his regards rescuing the Mega Pokemon (so apparently the Professor in the first cutscene that called over Steven was Professor Cosmo, neat cameo though he looks like every other scientist, including his own assistant).

Now those are the trainers who are constantly there. As you complete the game you'll meet a few more:
First there's 3 characters you may appear on the isolated beach area. They can either be 3 Magma Grunts, 3 Aqua Grunts, 3 Swimmers, or Flannery having an interview with Gabby and Ty. For the 3 swimmers one talks about swimming to Kalos (I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, you're swimming across an ocean, you'll drown way before getting to Kalos) while the others talk about staying in Hoenn and becoming a Scuba Diver (male) and Free Diver (female), hinting at the new underwater trainers. Flannery giving an interview with Gabby & Ty is nothing special, just Flannery flubbing her lines about being the new Lavaridge Gym Leader and Gabby & Ty asking her questions (I just find it odd they decided to have an interview with the Lavaridge Gym Leader in Mossdeep...). As for the grunts, even if they're a different team they say the same thing: One is worried about having come to the wrong place to meet, another explains that they never travel together but rather meet at a specific location before splitting up when they leave, and another that explains their boss is scary when they get really angry. Shouldn't only one group say that and the other sort of be the opposite? Like instead they do travel together?
Next right between the Pokemon Center and PokeMart either a cyclist, scientists, of Rich Boy appears. The cyclist talks about Rydl (and yes, he does repeat "Rydl" a few dozen times), the scientist says he's looking for Shroomish but can't find any so is heading back to Rustboro (hint we should bring a Shroomish to Rustboro?), and a Rich Boy who talks about how good it is being rich (which is good to hear, I know he can pay for that dentist bill after I punch him in the jaw).
Next 2 characters appear on the lower platform in front of the incline leading up to the Space Center: Brawly & Roxanne, A Black Belt & his son, and Mr. Stern & a worker of his named Dock. For Brawly & Roxanne, Brawly says he can't lower his body-fat ratio any more then he has so may start doing squats (isn't it actually unhealthy to be that fit?) while Roxanne gives him a "You rock" pun (so, why are they in Mossdeep?). The Black Belt & his son has to do with the "Mauville Food Court" which I'll talk about later. Finally Mr. Stern (who looks like he got a unique model) and Dock are just talking about boat designs (being they're in Mossdeep maybe they're thinking about strapping a rocket to a boat?).
Second to last, someone will appear in the area that gives you a panning shot of the rocket. It's either a woman who doesn't really say anything important or Wattson... who also doesn't really say anything important.
Finally all th way on top between the house next to Steven's and the Gym there will either be a old guy who says something about Sea Mauville (which I'll get to), a gentleman who's a Fossil Maniac, or a Shroomish (hmm, I wonder what would happen if we got that scientist guy looking for Shroomish and Shroomish at the same time?).
Anyway, that's all that I got so far. OH! And on a random island I found Lisia of all characters just standing around talking about sneaking up on Pokemon. Speaking of which...

So the sneaking mechanic is a bit fun. You can either do a slow sneak or a fast sneak, and if you stop your character freeze in the frame he was in so you could have your character standing on one foot. On a few islands you can sneak up on some Pokemon and it works, however I also dicovered sneaking does not prevent wild battle encounters.

But there's more then that. We have the BuzzNews active and it has some interesting things to tell us, but I'll only tell you ones I found the most notable. One is that its made by Devon Corporation (so does that mean there's a TV station inside Devon Corportation?). Then there's a story about a kid named Dasha who wants an upcoming game and he wants to convince his parents to get it for him so the TV host suggests he helps out around the house to do so (very subtle GameFreak...). Finally we're told about a place called "Mauville Food Court" which sounds like restaurant like in Lumiose City. Also the Black Belt & son I talked about? Apparently the Black Belt is looking for Shoal Salt to perfect his "Mauville Ramen Bowl". So look like there might be an additional use for Shaol Salt, and maybe for Shaol Shells as well?

Speaking of new areas they talked a bit about this "Sea Mauville" place. The first time was actually during a story quest where's there a scientist who says he was looking for it but got lost and if only he had the Scanner (hinting that that Scanner in the Abandoned Ship might have a new use?). The second time was from that old man who says that Sea Mauville is a protected area in Hoenn (so it's anature preserve)? Not only am I curious about what Sea Mauville is, I'm wondering what does that mean for New Mauville? Is it a new place or has it replaced New Mauville?

Let's see, what else. Oh, Super Effective and Critical Hits are now in yellow text instead of white. A bit jarring, but it does grab your attention. Not Very Effective is still in white text (kind of wished they made it color coded. Like "NVE" is blue, "SE" is red, and "CH" is purple or green).

And to end this section off, whenever you start a mission it takes turn alternating between riding a Latios or Latias each time. Nothing big, just a fun little detail I noticed.

So let's get onto the story missions. First one you're given the reason why you're here: Steven was called by a scientist he knows (Professor Cosmo, though they never say his name until his assistant mentions it) for help. Just then two Magma Grunts exist the Space Center so you pick a Starter (chose Marshtomp since I used Blaziken in my original Sapphire and will be using Sceptile in Alpha Sapphire, so thought I'd give Swampert a chance in the demo) and fight them off (for some reason trainers still give you money in the demo). After beating them they run off and Cosmo tells you they're after a Mega Pokemon. This is when Steven let you explore Mauville City until you ready to go by talking to him.

So you go to an island where you see two Magma Grunts guarding it and Steven tells you go on ahead while he prepares himself (lazy). You take out the grunts no problem, also there's grass here so you can battle some wild Pokemon if you want (don't worry, Steven will heal you if you talk with him again). Inside you find May who is being hassled by two Aqua grunts and you take them out easily (and by now your Starter should have evolved, I also don't think it's possible to stop it due to what happens next in the mission). So May tells you she lost to thir bosses and you find Matt and Tabitha arguing with one another (well, Tabitha is, Matt seems to just be insulting him an saying he likes how fiesty Tabitha is being). Anyway they're about to battle but see you and decide that you're probably there to stop them so they should form a truce and stomp you. That's when Steven comes running in and gives you and your Starter the Ultimate Move (Elemental Hyper Beam clone), the Mega Bangle, and your starter's Mega Stone. So the battle starts with Matt & Tabitha sending out a Sharpedo and Camerupt while you send out your Starter and Steven his... Shiny Metagross. Yeah, his Metagrossis shiny, and it can Mega Evovle. So yeah, pretty much Steven took care of this battle. Here's how it went: I Mega Evolved Swampert and chose to use Hydro Cannon on Camerupt since I have the type advantage. However, Steven decided he would attack Camerupt so I ended up attacking Sharpedo which did little damage so it got a Crunch in on Steven. However, Steven used Giga Impact so both our Pokemon had to recahrge next turn, letting Sharpedo used Scary Face on Steven's Metagross to decrease its Speed. Next turn that didn't matter because Metagross just used Bullet Punch to knock it out. So yeah, not only did I not knock out any of the bosses, they didn't even bother paying attention to my Pokmeon!

After the battle Team Magma and Aqua retreated and Steven mentioned that one day he may give us his Shiny Metagross once we can handle it (so apparently the Shiny Beldum event is from him? But how did he de-evolve and de-level his shiny Metagross? That would be an interesting feature to have in the game). Anyway we go off to find the the Mega Pokemon which is revealed to be a Mega Glalie! Steven gives me 5 Pokeballs, we started our battle... and I threw the Pokeball first turn an caught it. 100% catch rate (why bother giving us 5 then?). I thought about knocking it out to see what happens, but I'm not risking losing a Mega Pokemon. After that we flew back to Mossdeep City and we end the demo on a trailer.

After that was there were 9 other routine missions. Go to an island and either defeat all the trainers, find a lost child/Pokemon, find a Pokemon Steven wants (apparently in my game Steven likes Skitty so he only ever asked me to find them), or battle an Expert. Got through them alright but on one I ended it before battling all the trainers so restarted the game and that's when I discovered the missions, islands, and trainers were randomly generated. I think only the first mission is scripted. After the 10th mission I played an 11th which took me to a new island (where I found Lisia) so I still have some more exploring to do.

Kind of wished it was more expansive, but it's just a demo afterall. Kind of wished it gave us more items but it's also free items so I guess we can't complain. Actually, being the trainers do give you money, I thought maybe a neat feature to have might be letting us buy things we wanted to send over, like having the sets be expensive so we need to keep doing mission after mission to grind money to but them. That way we have a reason to keep playing. But we got what we got so whatever.
I'll report anything new I find tomorrow!

eShop loaded for me, but the code has disappeared from the email. It was there this morning, and now it's not.

Edit: Hit "View email in Browser" and then "view image" on the broken image and it eventually loaded. So I'm downloading the demo now. Yay!

Last edited:
Bizarre... I couldn't download when it arrived, it said it was not available after inputting the code, and now I can't see the code in the e-mail.

I just got the e-mail but I'm unable to see the code... I tried refreshing the page but it still doesn't load. Does anyone know what I could do?

Edit: Every time I click the ORAS message an error page opens.

I just got the e-mail but I'm unable to see the code... I tried refreshing the page but it still doesn't load. Does anyone know what I could do?

Edit: Every time I click the ORAS message an error page opens.
Same thing here. And for what I'm talking to friends, same thing everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)