Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie BITG

Banned deucer.
Hi I back

I want to talk bout bulky megas.
Altaria comes to mind, believe it or not.
I make set.

Altaria @ Altarite (F)

-Cotton Guard
-Hyper Voice
-Heat Wave/Dragon Pulse/Earthquake
-Roost
252 HP/188 SpD/64 SpA/ Sassy

Now now calm down. It has cotton guard, don't get angry. Im using Cotton Guard for its somewhat weak defense and turn it into a bulky giant. Now, the only choices in attacking is Critical hits and Special attackers. Most Special attackers aside Heatran cannot switch in, so the only choice is to either die and revenge kill or switch and hopefully not die. Now you can easily run Heatran counters like Rotom W or Keldeo and easily make Altaria quite hard to take out. Now, there is a problem. I don't get a boost. that leaves me defenseless against bulky pokemon like basically any bulky Special sweeper that resists its coverage. You can run EQ for Heatran, but it leaves you as setup bait like Skarmory (SR or Spikes). Its all ur choice.
I will be testing this right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shit, Mega Sharpedo can slaughter many fully healthy bulky Pokemon too. Let's say you grab a Speed Boost at full HP and stuff like Keldeo/Breloom/priority is taken out of the way. Assuming you're running Max Attack, and Max Speed, you're gonna outspeed quite a few Scarfers (Scarf Lando included)....but your power is pretty ridiculous.

Let's say they switch in Lando-T (252/252+ Impish w/Lefties) and get the Intimidate off on you. Assuming you predict that and go for the Ice Fang on the switch, even with the -1 Attack, Ice Fang is 100% a 2HKO even without rocks. That's pretty sweet.

Certainly Mega Sharpedo has a lot of flaws, but the raw power it has is formidable too. Late game with priority and counters like Keldeo and Azumarill (the latter if you opt for Ice Fang over Poison Jab, otherwise Azumarill can't switch in) gone, Sharpedo can nab +1 speed and just sweep pretty easy. If you have rocks up, even stuff like Max Physical Bulk Hippowdon is always 2HKO'd.
KOing Pokemon that are 4x weak to Ice Fang or weak to your STABs is not proving that Mega Sharpedo is a good wallbreaker, just that it has good power. A good wallbreaker is supposed to beat the majority of defensive Pokemon, which isn't the case with Mega Sharpedo, which gets walled by defensive Pokemon such as Clefable, Alomomola Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, all staples on stall teams, and checked by other common defensive Pokemon, such as physically defensive Mega Venusaur, Mandibuzz, Suicune, and Mega Altaria.

And what about a RestTalk set on Slowbro-Mega? Just like the Suicune set. Slowbro-Mega has better defensives and offensives stats; dat 180 base defense...

KOing Pokemon that are 4x weak to Ice Fang or weak to your STABs is not proving that Mega Sharpedo is a good wallbreaker, just that it has good power. A good wallbreaker is supposed to beat the majority of defensive Pokemon, which isn't the case with Mega Sharpedo, which gets walled by defensive Pokemon such as Clefable, Alomomola Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, all staples on stall teams, and checked by other common defensive Pokemon, such as physically defensive Mega Venusaur, Mandibuzz, Suicune, and Mega Altaria.
Oh, I don't claim it's a good wallbreaker. Shit, you can't do more than 20% or so to Keldeo no matter what you run (unless HP Flying/Electric/Grass or something lol), and Azumarill is gonna hard stop you too (running Poison Jab to beat it isn't worth losing Strong Jaws Ice Fang IMO). But just saying that as a sweeper it's up there in power and able to muscle through even stuff like Mandibuzz (using the standard set and assuming Rocks/Lefties present, Foul Play doesn't KO you back).

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
What's a good Mega Diancie set?
I could see mega Diancie being a decent BP receiver with Magic Bounce, decent defenses(and really good ones to tank hits before going mega), and pretty darned good attacking stats as well. It could function like Espeon except it misses out on Stored Power but it has more spammable STABS and also can actually tank stuff without having to be at like +4 defense...
Then again BP(lulz get it bullet punch, baton pass) is a big problem...

But at least it is definitely better than mega Sableye with dat 20 speed, although Sableye also has magic bounce you don't have to get like +6 speed to actually outspeed stuff...

Interesting Lopunny setset:
Lopunny @ Mega Stone
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Drain Punch
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Just an example of how versatile Lopunny can be. Haven't optimized EVs for Sub or bulk yet. STAB Focus Punch hits like a truck, and HP-draining STAB helps keep the HP high even after using Subs. Sub also allows Lopunny to deal with faster or priority-using threats while easing prediction at the same time. Sub also allows it to setup on Stallbreaker Mew, among other things.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"+2 Gallade Close Combat 2HKOs, or even OHKOs sometimes with SR." - So yes, literally exactly what I said. It can very well OHKO with rocks sometimes. I didn't post the Adamant Gallade calcs, you did lol. If your counter is taking 70% ON A GOOD DAY you need a better counter. What does it do back? Is your response to every argument "Enjoy your Twave!!!"? So are you running Wish / Protect / Dazzling Gleam / Twave? Why would you even use a Mega slot on this over Slowbro. No good stall is going to use Mega Audino. It merges Chansey and Clefable but removes the best parts of both while still taking up your Mega slot.
Why use Mega Audino over other defensive Megas? Simple: its mixed walling capabilities allow it to check a decent variety of Pokemon that some Megas actually can't because they lack the sheer defenses, typing, or movepool.

Mega Slowbro is going to be fantastic, no doubts there, but two key Pokemon that it cannot beat are Latios and Latias. Mega Audino switches into all of their moves safely and gets free wishes for its teammates. Latios and Latias will most likely have to double back into Bisharp or something without attacking (which can't OHKO Audino and is easy for stall to counter) or run gimmick Calm Mind sets. Mega Slowbro is also pretty bad against Greninja, while Mega Audino takes its Gunk Shot pretty well: 0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 198-237 (48.2 - 57.8%). Mega Audino can pivot in Dark Pulse and Ice Beam and survive with enough HP to either status it or Wish as it switches out. Now that I am thinking on it, it makes a pretty decent partner for regular Slowbro. Then there's Mega Sceptile who, while I doubt will be the biggest threat in OU, Mega Slowbro is obviously no good against, and DD Megas Tyranitar and Gyarados (who is now getting Crunch), which Mega Audino will fare much better against than Mega Slowbro, taking negligible damage from almost all of their attacks.

As a matter of fact, it would be easier to make a list of what Mega Slowbro does not check as as well as Mega Audino:

Current threats:
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Heracross
Mega Manectric
Mega Gyarados
Thundurus
Breloom
Latios
Latias
Greninja

Possible threats:
Mega Sceptile
Mega Sableye

Things that will probably suck but still see usage:
Mega Sharpedo

It can also hard check many of the same Pokemon Mega Slowbro can, including Terrakion, Azumarill, Landorus-T, Kyurem-B, Mega Lopunny, etc. Basically, most physical attackers.

Then there's Mega Venusaur, who, while good, has its own host of problems that Mega Audino does not:

- Its weaknesses prevent it from checking Mega Mence or Latios/Latias, as well as other Pokemon who run coverage for it
- Recovery ruined by Sandstorm
- Two of the Pokemon it usually checks are likely to burn it, forcing it to take more passive damage in most games

And you get all of that in one Pokemon. Those are some crazy stats. Not hard to see why stall might be able to take advantage of something like this.

Why use Mega Audino over other defensive Megas? Simple: its mixed walling capabilities allow it to check a decent variety of Pokemon that some Megas actually can't because they lack the sheer defenses, typing, or movepool.

Mega Slowbro is going to be fantastic, no doubts there, but two key Pokemon that it cannot beat are Latios and Latias. Mega Audino switches into all of their moves safely and gets free wishes for its teammates. Latios and Latias will most likely have to double back into Bisharp or something without attacking (which can't OHKO Audino and is easy for stall to counter) or run gimmick Calm Mind sets. Mega Slowbro is also pretty bad against Greninja, while Mega Audino takes its Gunk Shot pretty well: 0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 198-237 (48.2 - 57.8%). Mega Audino can pivot in Dark Pulse and Ice Beam and survive with enough HP to either status it or Wish as it switches out. Now that I am thinking on it, it makes a pretty decent partner for regular Slowbro. Then there's Mega Sceptile who, while I doubt will be the biggest threat in OU, Mega Slowbro is obviously no good against, and DD Megas Tyranitar and Gyarados (who is now getting Crunch), which Mega Audino will fare much better against than Mega Slowbro, taking negligible damage from almost all of their attacks.

As a matter of fact, it would be easier to make a list of what Mega Slowbro does not check as as well as Mega Audino:

Current threats:
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Heracross
Mega Manectric
Mega Gyarados
Thundurus
Breloom
Latios
Latias
Greninja
Add Mega Altaria to the list. DD + Facade uses Megabro and Megadino as setup bait. Been running it all day.

fully phys def cresselia

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 193-228 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

something tells me i shouldn't have revealed that

It hurts reading your posts.

Mega Slowbro is going to be fantastic, no doubts there, but two key Pokemon that it cannot beat are Latios and Latias. Mega Audino switches into all of their moves safely and gets free wishes for its teammates.
Well clearly a sp def Fairy handles special attacking dragons better than a physical wall.

Latios and Latias will most likely have to double back into Bisharp or something without attacking (which can't OHKO Audino and is easy for stall to counter) or run gimmick Calm Mind sets.
Or you know, Defog. Oh and there is no way Calm Mind Lati@s will be a gimmick when they have bulky new Megas to use.

Mega Slowbro is also pretty bad against Greninja, while Mega Audino takes its Gunk Shot pretty well: 0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 198-237 (48.2 - 57.8%).
How the fuck is a 2HKO "taking it pretty well"?

Mega Audino can pivot in Dark Pulse and Ice Beam and survive with enough HP to either status it or Wish as it switches out.
Or it will stay in and 2HKO with Gunk Shot. Literally the only thing Audino can do it Thunder Wave which is doesn't even have a spare moveslot for (and doesn't even let it beat Greninja if Gunk Shot poisons).

Now that I am thinking on it, it makes a pretty decent partner for regular Slowbro. Then there's Mega Sceptile who, while I doubt will be the biggest threat in OU, Mega Slowbro is obviously no good against, and DD Megas Tyranitar and Gyarados (who is now getting Crunch), which Mega Audino will fare much better against than Mega Slowbro, taking negligible damage from almost all of their attacks.
Why are you even comparing the two of them. The point is how good Audino does in OU not which counters more things (which incidentally is Slowbro). The rest of your team can cover what Slowbro / Audino can't. You can only pick one and while Audino has good mixed defenses it doesn't really DO anything and gets shit-wrecked by pretty much the same sort of things that beat Chansey (which is almost everything!).

Also Audino is bad against Gyarados / TTar. Possibly even worse than Slowbro (which again, doesn't actually matter if your team can cover them in other ways). Gyarados just DDs a second time as you Dazzling Gleam and proceed to 2HKO. Dazzling Gleam 3HKOs Megados and 5HKOs it if it doesn't Megavolve. Non-Mega Sub Lefties Gyarados sets up all over Audino and sending Audino in on it will probably cost you the game. Literally the only thing Audino can do to Megados besides die is Toxic it or Thunder Wave, the latter of which is pretty terrible. Mega Tyranitar solidly 2HKOs with +1 Stone Edge after sandstorm damage while Dazzling Gleam ~4HKOs. Audino does better against Sceptile I guess but I really don't see that thing being top tier OU.

Current threats:
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Heracross
Mega Manectric
Mega Gyarados
Thundurus
Breloom
Latios
Latias
Greninja

Possible threats:
Mega Sceptile
Mega Sableye

Things that will probably suck but still see usage:
Mega Sharpedo
It literally doesn't matter at all but Audino gets destroyed switching in on M Tyranitar, M Heracross (How many +2 CC do you think Audino will take), M Gyarados, Taunt Thundurus, and Gunk Shot Greninja. Breloom probably gives it issues if Sleep Clause doesn't activate yet.

It can also hard check many of the same Pokemon Mega Slowbro can, including Terrakion, Azumarill, Landorus-T, Kyurem-B, Mega Lopunny, etc. Basically, most physical attackers.
You really are grasping at straws now aren't you.

Then there's Mega Venusaur, who, while good, has its own host of problems that Mega Audino does not:

- Its weaknesses prevent it from checking Mega Mence or Latios/Latias, as well as other Pokemon who run coverage for it
- Recovery ruined by Sandstorm
- Two of the Pokemon it usually checks are likely to burn it, forcing it to take more passive damage in most games
The latter two actually apply to Audino as well. Doesn't matter since Venu and Audino are two very different Pokemon.

And you get all of that in one Pokemon. Those are some crazy stats. Not hard to see why stall might be able to take advantage of something like this.
You should be a salesperson. You play up total shit to be much better than it is regardless of what facts are staring you in the face. Audino would be a very decent Pokemon if it wasn't a Mega. BUT IT IS and thus forces a team to give up other, much better Megas for something that isn't all that amazing in the first place.

Last edited:
So uh SubEndeavor Lopunny is really screwy imo. M-Lopunny, as people have said, is a really cool mon It's also kinda hot.

SubEndeavor lures in Clefable and (Mega) Slowbro, two things that'd normally check it, and then sacs itself to leave them at very low health. And of course, it can work as a clutch answer to CroBro, CM MG Clefable and CroCune, and you get the utility of Sub (protection from revenges and status, eases prediction, severely punishes things like Heatran and Chansey who try to troll you with Protect.)

It's really good cause Mega Slowbro is unreasonably bulky and so hard to take out sometimes.

Yeah this thing is gonna have like a dozen good sets.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
fully phys def cresselia

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 193-228 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

something tells me i shouldn't have revealed that
There's a 33% chance to 2HKO with SR up, and you can't really do much back so Sub sets use you for free Dragon Dances.

There's a 33% chance to 2HKO with SR up, and you can't really do much back so Sub sets use you for free Dragon Dances.
just a friendly reminder that cresselia gets ice beam and commonly uses it

also i don't think double edge is used that much, that was basically mences most powerful move i used in that calc to show how much it would do to a cresselia

basically what i'm saying is that under common scenarios cresselia normally beats salamence

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
just a friendly reminder that cresselia gets ice beam and commonly uses it

also i don't think double edge is used that much, that was basically mences most powerful move i used in that calc to show how much it would do to a cresselia
I was under the impression that Cress ran STAB / Lunar Dance / Moonlight / T-Wave, but then again I haven't seen a Cress in a while so I'm probably horribly wrong.

So uh SubEndeavor Lopunny is really screwy imo. M-Lopunny, as people have said, is a really cool mon It's also kinda hot.

SubEndeavor lures in Clefable and (Mega) Slowbro, two things that'd normally check it, and then sacs itself to leave them at very low health. And of course, it can work as a clutch answer to CroBro, CM MG Clefable and CroCune, and you get the utility of Sub (protection from revenges and status, eases prediction, severely punishes things like Heatran and Chansey who try to troll you with Protect.)

It's really good cause Mega Slowbro is unreasonably bulky and so hard to take out sometimes.

Yeah this thing is gonna have like a dozen good sets.
It also gets Magic Coat so I could see it being used as an anti-lead with Fake Out + Magic Coat. Probably not going to be viable, but something to note.

Mence is also taking a ton of recoil damage there, so Ice Beam Cresselia seems like a pretty good check.

Ice Beam isn't even close to a guaranteed KO though and Mence and 2HKO at +1 with just return, but it can still sac itself to get a T-Wave off if need be ._.

mega lopunny seems like a great mon for hyper offense with them STABs and support options but ill feel like a furfag when i use it ;;

so, what do you think will be the most common fillers for the 2 slots? i can see it using healing wish/encore being used a lot due to the nature of the teams it will most likely be on.

I was able to wreck with this Megatile set

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Sub can help with the speed issue with megas and ignore status problems with it.. Giga Drain is decent recovery and also can 0HKO greninja like it was yesterday. Dragon Pulse hits the many dragons in the tier and is helpful for thundy. Focus Blast, can take care of Diggersby on a switch or blast apart ferro. This is similar to how Sceptile is run in NU and it works very well here.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah CM Latias is ridiculously bulky. Run enough speed to hit a certain threshold you want to outrun some HP and Defense and once its more consistent checks are out of the way like Bisharp and you get a CM or two it can pretty much be good game. Definitely a solid option for more bulky offense and I mean buuuulky. M-Latios I haven't really seen around basically cause there's not a huge reason to use it outside of regular Latios other than a minuscule increase in bulk? Muhfugginmoose nailed it on the head earlier in terms of that subject. People already mentioned M-Gross I'm sure but holy lord put this thing behind screens and you got yourself a real monster. Add a healing wish mon and you're even more set to go. M-Sableye is hilarious. Magic Bounce is such a great ability for stall teams and makes stallbreaker Mew an enormous liability. Speed is beyond garbage to the point it makes paralyzed opponents look fast but considering its bulk, ability, and general annoyance it's pretty damn good. CM set is overrated though just run some other support moves or a better win con.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)