Other OU Teambuilding Competition V4 - Round 14 (ORAS TEAMBUILDING) See post #156

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team 1:

When seeing Mega Charizard X as part of the core, my first thought was to build around a Jolly Dragon Dance set, as the omnipresent Scarfed Landorus-T can only outspeed Adamant sets, and then to use Manaphy's Rain Dance + Rest + Calm Mind set to clean lategame. From testing, I've found that running Rain Dance doesn't hamper Zard-X in any way, as this Manaphy set is only effective when given a setup opportunity, in which case it will stay in for at least two turns. Latios is standard, and was chosen as the Defog user to serve as a somewhat expected but still effective lure for Heatran. Scarfed Kyurem-B fits the Zard-X + Manaphy core very well, as it is able to revenge kill or beat 1v1 many pokemon that can threaten or check one of the members of the core, such as dragons outspeeding Zard-X, Hippowdon, Azumarill, Thundurus, Mega Manectric and Mega Venusuar. Clefable is the Stealth Rock user, and was chosen for being able to check Greninja until it gets access to Gunk Shot, as well as also having access to Heal Bell, which helps clear away status, particularly the last ditch Thunder Waves from Thundurus. Rotom-W is the obligatory flying resist and Sand Rush Excadrill check, and it's ability to spread burns and pivot, allowing this team's wallbreakers and sweepers to be brought in safely makes it a standard, but effective choice to hold this team together.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Manaphy @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Psyshock
- Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Outrage

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Team 2:

I chose Rain Dance Manaphy over the other available sets for two reasons, the main being to maximize damage output from Scald, and the second to cancel sand. Manaphy's EVs have been tailored to outspeed Adamant Excadrill out of sand while maximizing SAtk and the rest tossed in HP. I chose Bulky DD Zard-X as her partner in crime. The EVs also outspeed Adamant Excadrill out of sand, while OHKOing Keldeo at +1, with the rest in bulk. Earthquake>Flare Blitz as Manaphy can handle most mons FB is aimed at, and Rain makes the move essentially useless anyway. Bisharp was added next to eliminate Lati@s, or at least force a switch, with Low Kick>Pursuit with the intent of killing off opposing Bisharp. Thundurus was added next, as setup sweepers were beginning to look quite dangerous, and priority T-Wave is a godsend to this team. Healing Wish Latias is invaluable, and can quickly turn the tides of a battle in allowing either Xard or Manaphy a second chancd at sweeping. HP Fire nails Ferro and Scizor, the former being a great annoyance otherwise. Lastly, Sash Mamoswine was added for the SR setter, as his Taunt immunity, ability to break other sash leads, and revenge killing capabilities were too enticing to ignore. Plus, Mamoswine solidly checks/counters Thundurus, another dangerous mon, and allows Manaphy to run Lefftovers vs Wacan Berry.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 120 HP / 208 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard

Team 3:

So I built this team to take advantage of the sheer sweeping potential of the ManaZard core. Zard X is a full out offensive DD set that outpaces scarf lando after a DD and KOes with Flare Blitz, while EQ lures in and kills tran. Manaphy is the Wacan Tail Glow set to take advantage of all the DogeTurn core by living a Mega Manes TBolt and KOing back with a boosted Surf. From there I added my own Scarf Lando to provide intimidate and U-Turn support to get in one of my breakers, as well as lay rocks should they be needed (leading with lando and using rocks and switching can bluff a defensive set too), be it specs keld, Mixed thundy, or even one of the two sweepers. Thundy provides Twave support and also takes care of pesky mons like Lati@s and Slowbro. Latias provides Defog support for Zard and Thundy while also luring in Ferrothorn and Scizor with HP Fire, while also having Healing Wish as a last ditch move to rejuvinate another member. Finally, Keldeo was added as a Bisharp check, as he otherwise wrecks this team if he gets an SD up.

EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hydro Pump

Team 4:

So I started by deciding on what sets I wanted to use for Manaphy and Charizard. I decided on Calm Mind Rest for Manaphy as I think it is better than the Tail Glow set, especially against Stall. I felt that Bulky Dragon Dance Zard was the best way to go as I wanted a Pokemon that could help me beat Balanced and Offensive teams pretty well and I prefer this set to the others. Next I decided to add Ferrothorn as it has good synergy with the other two Pokemon and forms a nice FWG core which covers lots of types. I decided to put both Stealth Rocks and Spikes on Ferrothorn as getting up a spike can be very helpful and I felt it worked well. I included AV Raikou as it gives me a pretty good Greninja check and provides good offensive presence at the same time. Shadow Ball over Extrasensory because Ghost hits far more types neutrally. I wanted Defog support for the team as well so I added Mew as it is very reliable and with Taunt acts as a good stall breaker, I went with Physically defensive because I felt like I needed a solid check to almost all physical attackers. Finally I added in Clefable because it just seemed like a solid Pokemon to fill up the last slot. I decided against a CM set as I already have Manaphy and added Heal Bell as status conditions can be very annoying and I feel like this is a useful move to have in the last slot, especially if say Charizard gets paralyzed or Manaphy is sleeping. Overall I think the team is solid and a decent balanced team. I've played several games with it on the ladder and it has performed well in high ladder games.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance
- Rest

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Team 5:

I like to play and build Balanced so i built a pretty classic Balanced Team. I think Tail Glow Manaphy is very difficult to sweep with, because a lot of Mons outspeed it. Magnezone is very common in this méta, so no Tail Glow Manaphy. Classic set, Crocune 2.0 is what I went for in the end. I saw in Smogon Pokedex Bulky WoW Charizard as a fantastic partner. Fire Punch > EQ cause Heatran is a set-up fodder for Manaphy. Latias is a classic Defogger, needed Hazard Control. Classic set of Scarf Lando. Maybe HP Ice cause Landorus-I is really annoying for my team. But without Knock Off i'm weak to Gengar. Pretty classic Ferrothorn set. Gyro Ball because Sub Kyurem-B 6-0 my team. But it is rare so maybe Protect could be better. Rotom-W is there for problem mons that set up like SD/CB Talon and SD Pinsir.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Scald

EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball / Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 16 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Team 6:

So basically to start off I knew I wasn't going to be using Rain Dance Manaphy of any sort. Sure I could go Dragon Claw/EQ on Char X but Flare Blitz I find is just much more useful in wallbreaking and sweeping potential, which rain would hinder. I also wanted to focus on a bit more bulky offense and wanted to focus on using some basic cores in terms of typing and utility. So to start off I went with Jukains bulky Char X spread that I've played with before and knew worked to improve its longevity while still maintaing some offensive presence. I know I wanted to use the common Dragon, Steel, Fairy core. I decided to put Lando-T as a stealth rocker setter over something like Hippo to provide another ground immunity, Intimidate to provide some pseudo-bulk to my team, while having a pivot of sorts. Ran enough speed to outpace TTar since I wanted it more bulky than speedy on this team. Rock Slide > Stone Edge on this set to have some more consistency against bird spam instead of relying on inaccuracy against something that could potentially threaten my team. Magnezone is used to trap Ferrothorn and Steel types in general so I don't have to put too much Pressure on Char-X to handle those. Speed on Magnezone is hit at a threshold to outrun Adamant Crawdaunt. I knew I wanted to use a Lati so I decided to go Latios to have some offensive pressure that I feel Latias wouldn't be able to provide. My problem now was the weakness to some aspects of stall and Gengar so I decided to go TrickScarf to help with things like Gengar a bit better while breaking support mons with Trick. Went with Clefable for my fairy type and originally had Magic Guard as a status absorber. However the team became extremely Hawlucha weak and after getting swept by one I decided to go Unaware. With the loss of Magic Guard and to provide myself an answer to support moves against myself, status afflicters, and stallbreakers using Taunt I went with Magic Coat to give myself some breathing space. Thunder Wave is to cripple things such as Greninja and faster threats more easily while being a safe option to just pass around status affliction in most cases. Manaphy was finished last after I built the team cause I was unsure what coverage I wanted to provide. After considering my options I went with Scald/Psychic for coverage + Tail Glow. Knock Off is the lure to special walls such as Chansey and Empoleon who want to try and get in for free and helps with breaking Chansey in general and hindering choice users in general. That's it really.

Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 152 SpD / 80 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Knock Off
- Tail Glow

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight
- Magic Coat

Team 7:

This team was a team I built around the zardaphy core. DD Jolly Xard is a really good rn, and sub tg Manaphy is a really good teammate for Xard. This Xard spread outspeeds scarf Landt and OHKOs it after Rocks after a DD (+0). The Manaphy spread is great as it lets me set up on things I normally couldn't, and also provides an amazing stall breaker. There aren't many pokemon that can take a +3 Scald / Psychic. The EVs prevents Seismic Toss and Night Shade from breaking subs, the speed lets me outpace adamant/modest base 100s, and the rest is in SpA. Landt is here for the same reasons it's on so many teams; it is a great revenge killer w/ intimidate and uturn. Ferro is here to help with things like Azu and Greninja (should scout for HP Fire if you can), provide rocks, and provides a mega gyara switchin. Mew alongside Manaphy p much auto wins vs stall, and Mew is another way to beat azu if ferro dies to a cb Superpower, helps me beat things like Lando, Thundy, Mega Cham, and some other things. Latios beats Keld and CharY, provides SR, and generally just is the great pokemon it is.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe (Previously 104HP/252Atk/152Spe)
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 166 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 96 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Voting will end: Friday 24th of October 23:59 (EST)

If no reason for your vote is given then your post will be deleted or your vote won't be counted soo...
Please don't forget to give a reason for your vote!!

Good luck to all that submitted!

Last edited:
Voting Team 7, the one that I like more in terms of mons and with the sets.

The only one that I could use maybe tbh I dont like certain sets on the rest as Magic Guard Heal Bell Clefable or simply too flaws to my taste.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Going to go with Team 7 cause I feel it has the most consistency in terms of handling threats.

I really like some of these teams however some odd / sets I do not particularly like made me not want to vote for them.

After carefully analysing each team, I am going with Team 7. This team seems to cover all its weaknesses and make good use of the zardaphy core. I like the synergy between mew and the rest of the team, and how the team can also whittle things down for manaphy. Opposing Jolly zard-x maybe scary and gets a free setup on mew. Not sure how well manaphy handles it.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can't vote for team 7 cuz it's based around jolly DD Zard X but it's adamant lol. Scarf Lando shreks that Xard and noones picked up on it lol

Team 5 is the best one. The balance build going on seems solid, tho I feel a fairy would fit on it nicely.

Can't vote for team 7 cuz it's based around jolly DD Zard X but it's adamant lol. Scarf Lando shreks that Xard and noones picked up on it lol

Team 5 is the best one. The balance build going on seems solid, tho I feel a fairy would fit on it nicely.
I think it was meant to be jolly but he made a mistake or something, unfortunate.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I spent too much time picking my vote here o_o

Gonna vote Team 5, even tho I'd rather see Latios>Latias since it doesn't carry Healing Wish, but that's just me.

even though i'm not a huge fan of the manaphy set and scarf lando-t gives me cancer, team 5 is the most solid team here.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Team 5 - Huge fan of Cro-Manaphy as well as Bulky Zard-X, nice squad overall. Agreeing with what McMeghan said about Latios > Latias, but thats just a minor detail I guess.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gonna go with team 5, because I feel like it put more efforts into checking the main threats of the metagame. In comparison, the team 7 probably overviewed a couple of threat, like Pinsir. Slow Mew is a bit meh, and I'm really skeptical about the Sub Manaphy.
I'm really surprised about how all the teams are similar though, lmfao, it seems like the building revolves around adding a Scarf Lando-T, a Lati@s, and a pink pokemon.

I'll try to build next round, since I was the one hosting the project in BW :)

Team 5 All the teams are good, but I feel like 5 brings the most in terms of synergy. All the mons compliment each other very well and it responds well to nearly every big threat.

CZ. can we get next weeks core now during the voting phase? This week we only had 2 days to build teams (and I didn't even see the new core was up until a day later). I know you were aiming for 6 submissions however fast they came in, but we would get higher quality teams if we had a few more days to try out our teams in practice, before the submissions open.

Maybe it's not a coincidence that teams 5,6 , and 7 are getting the only votes so far...were they the teams submitted last?

I was thinking of asking for good replays under an alternative name on PS for next round. This way I can delay teams being approved until I see them tested in an competitive battle. Good idea or not?
Also if someone is currently testing they can PM me before submitting, this way I can choose for the best 5/6 teams out of everyone who submitted.

Maybe it's not a coincidence that teams 5,6 , and 7 are getting the only votes so far...were they the teams submitted last?
Nah they were all presented in random order.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I was thinking of asking for good replays under an alternative name on PS for next round. This way I can delay teams being approved until I see them tested in an competitive battle. Good idea or not?
You probably could just focus on a certain deadline for teams to be submitted and a certain deadline to vote. That way it's not a race of who makes the team first and people will know when they need to get it done. Replays seems like rewarding those with more free time to battle than others. I don't mind the process though since it does seem like a good idea on paper and the deadline can pretty much account for teambuilding and testing all at once.

You probably could just focus on a certain deadline for teams to be submitted and a certain deadline to vote. That way it's not a race of who makes the team first and people will know when they need to get it done. Replays seems like rewarding those with more free time to battle than others. I don't mind the process though since it does seem like a good idea on paper and the deadline can pretty much account for teambuilding and testing all at once.
My thought would be 5 days to teambuild and test. 5 Days is plenty of time for anyone to get good replays. Followed by 2 days for Voting.

The only thing I don't like about the replay idea is if you start on a new alt, you probably aren't getting great replays since the middle ladder that you start at is not all that great.

A fixed deadline is fine with me though. 5 days to build is enough, for me anyways.

AM

LCPL Champion
My thought would be 5 days to teambuild and test. 5 Days is plenty of time for anyone to get good replays. Followed by 2 days for Voting.
Thats plenty and sounds good. seconding what zebstrika said about replays but doesnt seem like a huge issue. Maybe just replays showing some decent play. I wouldnt expect people to go out of thier way for tour or high ladder matches unless already doing that but whatever works really.

The only thing I don't like about the replay idea is if you start on a new alt, you probably aren't getting great replays since the middle ladder that you start at is not all that great.
Thats plenty and sounds good. seconding what zebstrika said about replays but doesnt seem like a huge issue. Maybe just replays showing some decent play. I wouldnt expect people to go out of thier way for tour or high ladder matches unless already doing that but whatever works really.
I want replays that show a competitive battle, everyone should have a friend they know who will test with them under alt names. Ladder/Tours aren't the only way of getting competitive battles. Saying that, even the OU room tours has some good battlers who join to test teams. There are many ways without having a high ladder rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)