Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't know by now, fairy is one of my favorite typings. So naturally, the next mega on my interest list is Princess Bubblegum herself: Mega Diancie.
Diancie trades in her high defenses for powerful offense. She also gets a nice speed boost as well. One main issue she faces is super effective priority. Most notably, scizor's bullet punch and azumarill's aqua jet. Mega Metagross also proves to be a powerful adversary. Therefore some good teammates include Skarmory, Rotom-w, and Magnezone. Rotom stands out as the best partner as it is immune to eq, 4x resists steel, and resists water. Grass isn't very common although it may rise, but any steel or flying type paired with Diancie should be fine. The set?
Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body -> Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
Sub prevents Diancie from being instantly RK'd allowing to fire off her powerful attacks before retreating. One issue she faces is actually mega evolving and sub helps to alleviate some of that pressure. Once again any feedback is appreciated.
Upon further playing of mix Diancie I find that Protect actually serves as a better move, it allows you to revenge kill normally dangerous threats prior to mega like Bisharp/Keldeo/Heatran/Garchomp/Excadrill and proceed to revenge kill them with ease in the mega-evolved form. It also has the added utility of screwing over MLop. Otherwise, HP fire is a viable alternative to roast Skarmory/Ferro and potential Scizor switch ins.

Upon further playing of mix Diancie I find that Protect actually serves as a better move, it allows you to revenge kill normally dangerous threats prior to mega like Bisharp/Keldeo/Heatran/Garchomp/Excadrill and proceed to revenge kill them with ease in the mega-evolved form. It also has the added utility of screwing over MLop. Otherwise, HP fire is a viable alternative to roast Skarmory/Ferro and potential Scizor switch ins.
it also gives your opponent a great chance to switch in their scizor for it to ready a x4 bullet punch

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Or you can just use HP Fire, which OHKOs BulkySD Mega Scizor 50% of the time after SR and helps you not get walled by Skarmory or Ferrothorn (watch out for Gyro Ball, though).

252 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 276-328 (80.4 - 95.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 146-172 (43.7 - 51.4%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Diancie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (115 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 336-396 (139.4 - 164.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
but his post was about how good using protect before mega evolving Diancie so why would he not use protect?
Because it can easily backfire and give your opponent a free switch. You're better off MEvoing on something that can't threaten you so you can run a coverage move, CM, or hell even Stealth Rock.

Speaking of stuff that will be good in the new meta, Weavile seems quite anti-meta. Ice Shard picks off Mence after SR(and remember, nothing defogs on Weavile other than Skarmory), Icicle Crash is legal with Knock Off and Low Kick. It busts Mega Altaria wide open, and it can 2hko Slowbro after some prior damage. Mega Latis can't tank Icicle Crash. Weavile seems like god in this new meta.

Which set is looking to be the most standard, "best" set for Mega Mence at the moment from our little experience of "meta" with the new megas? I don't want to say best since being most popular or standard doesn't always mean it's the best set (i.e. IMHO special Mega Lucario was more effective than the most used SD physical mega Lucario). I'm just asking since I've seen Mega Mence of many variants, particularly the offensive and bulky DD sets, wrecking havoc...htough I am usually not the side of receiving the ass whooping.
Umm...there are no clear best mega-salamence set. But I still think the offensive DD set and bulky DD set with sub and roost are the two most dominant sets.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
- 252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Salamence: 228-272 (57.8 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Salamence using Roost: 114-136 (28.9 - 34.5%) -- 4.7% chance to 3HKO

My bad then, just give to Mega Salamence a +SpD nature, and it will be able to wait for a low HP Ice roll while using Roost, set up a DD and survive the second HP Ice, and then Roost up to full health again, rinse and repeate. Same goes for non Specs Magnezone and Ice Beam Tyranitar. Also, +1 Return 2HKOes Mandibuzz, which can't even come close to OHKOing Mega Salamence with Foul Play.
Um what about Mandibuzz's Foul Play again?

+1 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
+1 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 304-358 (77.1 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
After rocks you OHKO offensive variants, and you should be coming in as they boost anyway and they can't OHKO you. So like my post said, just keep rocks off and keep your rocks up.

+1 0 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 207-244 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 246-291 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(For Reference)

Also maybe you're not responding to me specifically but I never even mentioned ttar, megaman, or zone in my post ._.

and mega slowbro walls all of those
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Not really. Max Attack variants can break their way through, and that's assuming Slowbro is already evolved. Special attacks also can work their way through with some investment.

Also, is anyone working on putting blank sets for the new Megas into the PS damage calc? I know it may take a while, but Showdown itself is updated already so I figured it was worth asking.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Um what about Mandibuzz's Foul Play again?

+1 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
+1 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 304-358 (77.1 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
After rocks you OHKO offensive variants, and you should be coming in as they boost anyway and they can't OHKO you. So like my post said, just keep rocks off and keep your rocks up.

+1 0 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 207-244 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 246-291 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(For Reference)

Also maybe you're not responding to me specifically but I never even mentioned ttar, megaman, or zone in my post ._.
You do know i am talking about bulky Mega Salamence right? Here is the right calc:

- +1 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 186-219 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO.

That is Mandibuzz's Foul Play against +1 Mega Salamence with max HP. Not even a guaranteed 2HKO, while Mega Salamence easily 2HKOes back with Return.

and mega slowbro walls all of those
Mega slowbro is a reliable check to Mega Salamence, yes. But it's not chugging through invested hyper voice (i.e. timid 252spA). Also, just because a pokemon has a check or a counter doesn't mean jack. obvious ubers like kyogre had checks and counters that aren't even ou for a long time but that doesn't mean it's not uber.

edit: Now, I will not talk about how Mega Salamanca is broken or not and all that in this thread. And I am not denying the fact that Mega Slowbro is one of its most reliable checks. But it's not a hard counter to all the aforementioned sets.

Last edited:
It's really good. Like I said, it's really hard to say what the best mega mence set is. It has amazing offensive DD, bulky DD, support, mixed, spA, hell even all-out physical sets. Mixed is amazing as well. Fuck mega mence.
to be honest, one of the reasons Mega Salamence might get banned is because of him being unpredictable

4 SpA Aerilate Salamence Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Not really. Olijolly also mentioned Sp Atk Mence. And the Mix Mence I use runs more Sp Atk than this.
+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Not really. Max Attack variants can break their way through, and that's assuming Slowbro is already evolved. Special attacks also can work their way through with some investment.

Also, is anyone working on putting blank sets for the new Megas into the PS damage calc? I know it may take a while, but Showdown itself is updated already so I figured it was worth asking.
why the fuck wouldn't you invest in Sp.Def with Mega Slowbro?
re-do those calcs with 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def Mega Slowbro and see how Mega Salamence damages him

by the time you make the first hit and realize what he's invested in, you would of already got T-Waved

Last edited:

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Just run something like Choice Specs Goth+Mence and then GG, you will basically take out like the only few mence checks/counters on their team with Goth, considering Slowbro can barely check(if mega'd and then even loses to something like Sub DD) as soon as Goth gets counters (mega mence has no counters) checks out of the way Mence sweeps, much like GyaraGoth which is actually really good...think about mega Gyarados on steroids and now you have it.

Last edited:
I usually just manually enter the stats but I haven't checked for the blank sets yet.

Edit: I came up with some Mega Mence slogans.
Mega Salamence: At least it's not pixilate.
Mega Salamence: Taking status out of style.
Mega Salamence: Because walls are illusions.
Mega Salamence: Eating with the plate in my hand cause there aint no counters.
Mega Salamence: Making Mega Mawile look weak.
Enjoy :]

Just run something like Choice Specs Goth+Mence and then GG, you will basically take out like the only few mence checks/counters on their team with Goth, considering Slowbro can barely check(if mega'd and then even loses to something like Sub DD) as soon as Goth gets counters (mega mence has no counters) checks out of the way Mence sweeps, much like GyaraGoth which is actually really good...think about mega Gyarados on steriods and now you have it.
that idea sounds OP as shit, lol, this is probably the first core i'm going to try when OR/AS comes out
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Slowbro: 220-260 (55.8 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

you can still use G.G though; Gyarados gets Crunch now :D
i'm going to try out Goth because i never really tried it out before. seems fun

it also gives your opponent a great chance to switch in their scizor for it to ready a x4 bullet punch
Because it can easily backfire and give your opponent a free switch. You're better off MEvoing on something that can't threaten you so you can run a coverage move, CM, or hell even Stealth Rock.
I think you guys missed my quip about HP fire. That said I find either HP Fire or Protect viable for the last slot much better than Stealth Rock, since with Diancie's reduced defenses (both in mega form and investment) and lack of Leftovers I find myself with less opportunity to use this. That said if I advocate protect it is primarily for situations I often find myself in wherein I am stuck without a faster mon to check or revenge kill Keldeo/Garchomp/Heatran/M-Pinsir which M-Diancie could easily revenge, but I am in baseform and prone to OHKO or taking heavy damage. However, I find protect just situationally better since I avoid damage altogether, and it isn't that difficult to have a good switch in to Skarmory/Ferro/Scizor, and base form is just too prone to taking more damage than I would like.

Edit: Plus honestly I just love tripping M-Lop up, and also scouting Lando-T better whether scarf or Lefties variant after prior damage.

Last edited:
to be honest, one of the reasons Mega Salamence might get banned is because of him being unpredictable

why the fuck wouldn't you invest in Sp.Def with Mega Slowbro?
re-do those calcs with 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def Mega Slowbro and see how Mega Salamence damages him

by the time you make the first hit and realize what he's invested in, you would of already got T-Waved
Most Slowbro are investing in Defense because they tend to be either CroBro or using Slack Off and Calm Mind as a means of boosting. Mega Slowbro also has trouble fitting T-Wave on it's moveset because it wants to run Scald, Psyshock, Ice Beam, Slack OffOff, Calm Mind, and RestTalk more. Some Salamence are also running Refresh or Sub as others have mentioned earlier, making TWave less useful. Slowbro is a solid check, but it has to be Mega Evolved already and even then it can be beaten without Salamence resorting to suboptimal moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)