Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of stuff that will be good in the new meta, Weavile seems quite anti-meta. Ice Shard picks off Mence after SR(and remember, nothing defogs on Weavile other than Skarmory), Icicle Crash is legal with Knock Off and Low Kick. It busts Mega Altaria wide open, and it can 2hko Slowbro after some prior damage. Mega Latis can't tank Icicle Crash. Weavile seems like god in this new meta.
'Busting Mega Altaria right open' is a bit of an exaggeration. Ice Shard does 61% max to an uninvested DD Altaria, and defensive Altarias easily survive Icicle Crash and OHKO with Return/ Facade/ Hyper Voice/ What Have You. Defensive Mega Alt with Cotton Guard can even use Weavile as setup bait, taking 31% max from Icicle Crash after a Cotton Guard. Will agree that Weavile has gained a lot of utility in the new meta, though.

'Busting Mega Altaria right open' is a bit of an exaggeration. Ice Shard does 61% max to an uninvested DD Altaria, and defensive Altarias easily survive Icicle Crash and OHKO with Return/ Facade/ Hyper Voice/ What Have You.
This. Mega Altaria is bulky enough to survive a plethora of super effective hits. The defensive DD set is sooooo good at lategame cleaning it's not even funny.
Btw what is your spread for the bulky ddance set?

A mega salamence walks in a bar and sits at the front counter.

But there was no counter.

Bad joke aside, has anyone tried Mega Sableye yet? How effective is it in the meta?
My experiences are limited so far, but from what I've seen and played, it's godly on stall and, ironically, against stall, but its more offensive sets struggle to find traction. IMO, its defensive sets are definitely the way to go right now.

so jolly over adamant? i see his speed isn't that great so i could see how he would need all the speed he can get.
Adamant is probably the best way to go, given that it doesn't get an item. You could go into specifics and see what relevant scarfers it needs to outspeed at +2 with a neutral nature, and adjust the evs from there as well, but I'd just go with 252/252 adamant.

Mega Mudkip is freakin terrifying, btw, I'm so used to running teams that deal with sand I'm hardly ever prepared for it.

A mega salamence walks in a bar and sits at the front counter.

But there was no counter.
Then it comes time for Salamence to pay, but there's no check.

Also, what sorts of defensive Mega Altaria sets have people been trying? I kinda want to start playing this game again when I get some more free time, and defensive Mega Altaria was something I've been interested in trying out. Provided I'm doing my calcs right, 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD Bold/Impish Mega Altaria should be able to escape 2HKOs from a +1 Charizard X and Timid Charizard Y, which is pretty cool. Or maybe a specially defensive set would be better? I don't know, I've been out of it for a while, lol.

Adamant is probably the best way to go, given that it doesn't get an item. You could go into specifics and see what relevant scarfers it needs to outspeed at +2 with a neutral nature, and adjust the evs from there as well, but I'd just go with 252/252 adamant.

Mega Mudkip is freakin terrifying, btw, I'm so used to running teams that deal with sand I'm hardly ever prepared for it.
yea putting that 150 attack to use is what i was originally intending to do. so other than scarfers does anyone outspeed swamp if he's adamant? other than some of the new insanely fast megas.

This. Mega Altaria is bulky enough to survive a plethora of super effective hits. The defensive DD set is sooooo good at lategame cleaning it's not even funny.
Btw what is your spread for the bulky ddance set?
TBH it's still a work in progress - I was running adamant with 252 att./190 HP/ 68 sp. but it isn't optimal, and needs to be tinkered with. The 68 speed was to beat Megagross, but hasn't really proven necessary, as Megagross rarely switches in for fear of Earthquake/ Fire Blast, and I generally use Mega-Alt's bulk to gain a second DD before attempting a sweep. I'm also not really sure adamant and max attack are necessary, and feel a more defensive build would actually be more useful.

Then it comes time for Salamence to pay, but there's no check.

Also, what sorts of defensive Mega Altaria sets have people been trying? I kinda want to start playing this game again when I get some more free time, and defensive Mega Altaria was something I've been interested in trying out. Provided I'm doing my calcs right, 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD Bold/Impish Mega Altaria should be able to escape 2HKOs from a +1 Charizard X and Timid Charizard Y, which is pretty cool. Or maybe a specially defensive set would be better? I don't know, I've been out of it for a while, lol.
mega alt is a good choice on BO but for the love of god never ever EVER use full stall unless you like playing the matchup game.
and i think the bold/impish mega alt is best.

TBH it's still a work in progress - I was running adamant with 252 att./190 HP/ 68 sp. but it isn't optimal, and needs to be tinkered with. The 68 speed was to beat Megagross, but hasn't really proven necessary, as Megagross rarely switches in for fear of Earthquake/ Fire Blast, and I generally use Mega-Alt's bulk to gain a second DD before attempting a sweep. I'm also not really sure adamant and max attack are necessary, and feel a more defensive build would actually be more useful.
I'm not even sure myself of the most optimal spread either. My spread was 120 hp / 252 att / 136 spe jolly to beat greninja at +1 but I chose to give up on running fire blast for roost so that latios becomes setup fodder.
2 things I've noticed overall from using mega Altaria is:
1. Magnezone is some delicious setup fodder after he traps and kills.
2. Altaria NEEDS rocks on the field to turn 2hkos into ohkos on threats like azumarill and gengar to name a few.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
How to teambuild with Mega Mence an in depth guide by ZZtrollZZ:
Step 1: Use mega Mence
Step 2: Add Goth to break down any checks
Step 3: SR TTar cuz dat team support tho
Step 4: You have TTar therefore you must have Exca to spin
Step 5: Talonflame cuz Birdspam 2.0
Step 6: Rotom-W wrecks mega Mudkipz and Mamo
How to play with this team:
Identify any check to mega Mence. Now send in TTar as lead. Set up rocks and die. If the opposing team is weak to Exca, send in Exca and let him die. If at any point the opponent sends in a mega Mence check, click Gothitelle and then hope he doesn't switch. After removing said check, type in GG. If the opponent for some reason has rain, conserve TTar. At some point the opponent will bring in something that can't touch mega Mence. Bring in mega Mence and Sub on switch to any surviving mega Mence check. Proceed to sweep. Use Talonflame to revenge kill random stuff and other mega Mence. Only send in Rotom-W to cockblock Swampert and non freeze dry Mamo cuz its $#!T but I can't think of a better answer to rain.

How to teambuild with Mega Mence an in depth guide by Jebus:
Step 2: Win

Also what are people's thoughts on this Mega Pidgeot set? Seems kind of gimmicky, but might not be too useless:

Work Up/Hurricane/Heat Wave/U-Turn

The idea is to use Work Up, spam hurricane, and then get out with a +1 U-Turn. I know this won't be ideal, obviously, but it seems legit enough

Megatank Mega Ampharos?

Rain team? check.

Mega Ampharos? check.

Cotton Guard? check.

Charge? check.

Thunder? check.

GG

I would enjoy building a team around Mega Ampharos being a tank, dat special attack is ridiculous enough, but super defenses too daaaaaaamn.

Question is: do you bother in investing in SPDef? HP and DEF seem like a great way to get some great physical DEF going, but What gets run that is a threat on the special side? Maybe Char Y with dragon pulse, or a Goodra with SPAtk investment.

Maybe something with Earth Power? Assuming Ampharos can't kill it.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To whoever asked : MSableye is really good. It basically sets up over anything defensive, causes massive problems to balanced and stall teams, and still holds ton of utility in the process. Also checks big offensive threats such as Terrakion, Lando-T, Bisharp, Garchomp, MMedicham MGallade, and everything that carries Taunt pretty much, and the only playstyle which it can't really sweep, offense, it's still pretty useful against thanks to the ability to cripple stuff with WoW if it holds off MEvo. I've also seen stall teams use it but with a regular Sableye set instead of CM, just as hazard control, and it's excellent at that too. Oh yeah and it also kinda spinblocks too. MSableye just does so much stuff, it's definitely something to watch out for.

MAltaria is great on stall, but I've recently tried it out on bulky offense as glue (specifically, Sand Offense, since it provides a check to MHera, Rotom-W and Keldeo all 3 of which Sand really dislikes) and it's really good too. Not much switches into Hyper Voice, and the things that do just get roasted by Fire Blast or popped by EQ. This thing has some serious offensive potential and definitely isn't limited to just stall teams.

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Well 252 hp/ 84spa rest in def counters physical mence well, but it still gets worn down real easy and isnt going to be full health at mid or endgame. Also, I'm looking forward to a meta of mega mence +friends +mega mence checks vs. mega mence + friends + mega mence checks

Nearly everybody is talkong about mence, beedril, slowbro and to some extent Lopunny. But why isn't there more talk about metagross? Hes absolutl ly terrifying. Great attack, decent stabs and amazing defenses and 110 speed is amazing. It could go speed attack but I'd see more bulky sets working. So why isnt there more talk about gross?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I'm not going to go through 68 pages of thread. If it's been mentioned just delete my post.

So I've been messing around with Hyper Offense on the ORAS OU ladder (atm #19, but that's not saying much), and I've been messing around with the following set:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch / Hammer Arm / Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

I prefer Bullet Punch for the priority (it's saved me a lot of times), but if you want to the abuse the "This pokemon is ridiculously hard to switch into"-factor, then Hammer Arm/EQ are great.

Anyway, pursuit on Metagross is amazing. Tough claws pursuit is really strong - like, remember how aegislash's pursuit was surprisingly strong? This thing just straight up ohkos offensive latis after rocks with pursuit. It does decent damage to Chansey (25.8 - 30.5% is not negligible if you apply enough pressure), and even more to other stuff it forces out. It's also really clutch in endgame scenarios that would otherwise be 50/50's on who switches out/stays in.

Anyway, I just want to say that although I think Hyper Offense is kinda weird to pull off in this meta, I think that Metagross is probably the best Mega for HO. It doesn't take a lot from Mega-Sceptile (imo a huge threat to HO), it's fast, AND it's ridiculously powerful. I was messing around with Megamence before this but the ladder is so ridiculously prepared for Mence that it's hard to bring it in safely (it's bulky, but its not that bulky- and it's sr weak which sucked harder than i expected), and have it not be forced out immediately.

Obviously when the opponent brings in their check to Mega metagross, it's also forced out, but it's usually something awkward like Heatran (if they're scarfed or you don't have EQ) or momentum killing like Cresselia, because Metagross' typing is great defensively too. Checks to Mega Metagross are easy to regain momentum from. Basically this thing is a tank, revenge killer, pivot, wallbreaker, trapper, and potential sweeper in the end-game and is godly for offense.

I've also been running a really weird, but effective core (at the moment anyway) of the aforementioned Mega-Meta, Greninja, and Specs Sylveon:
Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

Basically, Specs Sylveon and Mega Metagross together are really hard to switch into. Sylveon destroys pretty much any physical wall trying to stop Mega Meta, and if the opponent switches out, whatever comes in is getting 2hko'd if it's not a Chansey or Ferrothorn. It can also switch in on some key checks including Rotom-w, Mandibuzz, Cresselia (fuck t-wave though), Greninja lacking gunk shot (why gamefreak why), Gliscor, Slowbro, Thundurus (fuck t-wave), and so on. It can check even more. Mega Meta's defense is also really excellent to complement Sylveon's high spdef, and while it doesn't really want to switch in repeatedly to Spec Sylveon's checks, it does revenge kill or pressure a lot of them.

Also, Specs sylveon completely wrecks Mega-Slowbro even after +1. Which is really nice.

Then you just slap on Greninja onto the core with spikes/hp-fire, and now you've got something that can actually switch in on non-power whip ferro (who power whips a sylveon anyway?) and Heatran (the most common counters to specs sylveon), and lends some much needed hazard pressure. Also, Greninja's a really easy glue pokemon anyway.

Anyway, obviously too early to say if this core will be effective in the long run; but i thought i'd share it because i really like it.

Last edited:
yea putting that 150 attack to use is what i was originally intending to do. so other than scarfers does anyone outspeed swamp if he's adamant? other than some of the new insanely fast megas.
Max Speed Adamant Mega Swampert in Rain outspeeds the entire unboosted game - even jolly max speed Ninjask, lol. I'd look out for some scarfers but most of them Swampy gives no shits about.

I'm not even sure myself of the most optimal spread either. My spread was 120 hp / 252 att / 136 spe jolly to beat greninja at +1 but I chose to give up on running fire blast for roost so that latios becomes setup fodder.
2 things I've noticed overall from using mega Altaria is:
1. Magnezone is some delicious setup fodder after he traps and kills.
2. Altaria NEEDS rocks on the field to turn 2hkos into ohkos on threats like azumarill and gengar to name a few.
I find Altaria extremely flexible depending on your playstyle and team's needs. Since I run mainly bulky offense, the set I run looks something like:

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine -> Pixilate
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 Def / 4 Atk / 252 Defense- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Facade/Return/Body Slam
- Earthquake*

I find that going Adamant/Jolly is best left to DDers like Salamence, Zard-X, etc, who have enough power and base speed to begin wrecking shit after a single boost. While Altaria's 110 attack with high BP abusable STABs is nothing to scoff at, only 80 base speed means it often still gets outsped at +1,so it is generally best to go bulky and focus on getting as many boosts under your belt as possible. With max defensive investment, it can stomach all but the most powerful of attacks (generally STAB super effective) and either set up and roost, or KO back in many cases. And Roost on a bulky DD set is just a no-brainer, especially as Altaria gets a LOT of options to use it.

The biggest variable are the last two slots, obviously. Return has the highest guaranteed BP (something like 132 after Pixilate?), while Body Slam has the paralysis chance. I opt for Facade right now due to the new mechanics, as Altaria gets burned and poisoned so often (literally the last 4 matches in a row I played), giving her a 182 BP move before factoring in STAB, off a very abusable Fairy type. And for what it's worth Pixilate boosts a non-statused Facade to 91 BP, about the same as the the only real physical fairy Move (Play Rough), so it's not like it's THAT risky running it. Earthquake is last, hitting Heatran who 4x resists her STAB, but I find that I get burned so often that EQ becomes significantly weakened, so I might be testing Fire Blast, Cotton Guard, or some of her other options in that slot when I get on the servers later today.

Overall, this Altaria is pretty beastly mid-late game when her counters or checks have been weakened or eliminated and she can just set up in your opponent's face. I find she pairs well with partners who can eliminate troublesome Steels for her, and also makes a good partner to other dragons (Defog Lati@s can in turn, support her with hazard removal). It's also best to wait to M-Evolve if you see weather abusers in team preview, I've put a stop to a few rain teams testing Swampert by canceling his weather with Cloud Nine, also checking Zard Y due to canceling his Sun.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How to teambuild with Mega Mence an in depth guide by ZZtrollZZ:
Step 2: Add Goth to break down any checks
Step 3: SR TTar cuz dat team support tho
Step 4: You have TTar therefore you must have Exca to spin
Step 5: Talonflame cuz Birdspam 2.0
Step 6: Rotom-W wrecks mega Mudkipz and Mamo
How to play with this team:
Identify any check to mega Mence. Now send in TTar as lead. Set up rocks and die. If the opposing team is weak to Exca, send in Exca and let him die. If at any point the opponent sends in a mega Mence check, click Gothitelle and then hope he doesn't switch. After removing said check, type in GG. If the opponent for some reason has rain, conserve TTar. At some point the opponent will bring in something that can't touch mega Mence. Bring in mega Mence and Sub on switch to any surviving mega Mence check. Proceed to sweep. Use Talonflame to revenge kill random stuff and other mega Mence. Only send in Rotom-W to cockblock Swampert and non freeze dry Mamo cuz its $#!T but I can't think of a better answer to rain.
In depth guides don't give you the exact team with no wiggle room.... you are suppose to give mulitple spots for every pokemon but mence.

Right away, some things that interest me. First off, Mega Sharpedo could wreck stuff with Protect and Speed Boost 1st turn, Mega 2nd turn, Crunch things to death. I'm also really interested in Mega Lopunny - literally unresisted STAB HJK and Return combo plus ~100-120 Attack looks fantastic.
Set:
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Cute Charm
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Return
-High Jump Kick
-Healing Wish
-Fake Out / Power-Up Punch
LO Sharpedo is stronger than Mega Sharpedo and the latter has no Type Change or much useful Ability; no point of wasting a Mega Slot.

Anyone think a Bulk up set for Mega Gallade is worth it or can be superior to a straighforward fast sweeper set? It would be slower since you would run a lot of bulk on it and you kinda have recovery with Drain Punch and maybe priority with Shadow Sneak, but I didn't test it, so it's hard to say if it can be relevant in OU. I don't think it would be bad, since Gallade has a big movepool with good coverage, but does it beat anything relevant which a fast M-Gallade can't beat or does it lose to something relevant because it is too slow? Just throwing this in here.

People kept saying Triple Bunny with Mega Lop, Azu and Diggersby earlier, but... is that actually good? Like I'm not sure if it was a joke but I'm not sure if it'd be competitively viable or not; can someone a little more experienced in OU than my shit rating help me out here?

People kept saying Triple Bunny with Mega Lop, Azu and Diggersby earlier, but... is that actually good? Like I'm not sure if it was a joke but I'm not sure if it'd be competitively viable or not; can someone a little more experienced in OU than my shit rating help me out here?
idk, Diggs, Azu and Lopunny are all good, and Diggs+Azu is good, so I don't see why all three together can't be good.

At any rate it's pretty funny.

idk, Diggs, Azu and Lopunny are all good, and Diggs+Azu is good, so I don't see why all three together can't be good.

At any rate it's pretty funny.
I guess it's more the oversaturation of strong af Physical Attackers that put me off, despite them all providing different and valuable STAB/Coverage and utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)