ORAS UU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gonna need a little input from either Calloflochie or kokoloko, but will there be any potential quickbanning of anything ?(Megagross if anything) I feel that, similar to XY UU beta, there's gonna be some excessively borked shit that deserve the boot, and I understand that's gonna be based on testing of these new 'mons in custom battles with UU rules. Just asking because I didn't really exist on forums during that phase, so I dunno how that would work.

I've been posting this around, but Mega Pidgeot will be an excellent user of Defog, thanks to a great speed tier of Base 121 speed and an offensive presence with Base 135 SpA. The way I see this set running will be kind of like Latios's Defog set in OU; hit things really hard while clearing away hazards.

Pidgeot-Mega
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Roost

I've been posting this around, but Mega Pidgeot will be an excellent user of Defog, thanks to a great speed tier of Base 121 speed and an offensive presence with Base 135 SpA. The way I see this set running will be kind of like Latios's Defog set in OU; hit things really hard while clearing away hazards.

Pidgeot-Mega
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Roost
HP Grass is pretty meh. Besides Swampy, Quag and gastro, who does it hit? Its not like any of thrm are going to switch into a hurricane, i think all of them are cleanly 2hko. youre better off with Roost, U turn or HP ice. HP ice pops Mega Aero and Amphy, but even then youll barely get the 2hko. Roost is for longevity and is probably the superior option while u turn is great pivot, but being SR weak isnt good.

Defog plus ability to spam hurricanes is Pidgeots niche. Its going to hit kind of hard, but is still underwhelming compared to Mega amphy, blastoise, etc..

HP Grass is pretty meh. Besides Swampy, Quag and gastro, who does it hit? Its not like any of thrm are going to switch into a hurricane, i think all of them are cleanly 2hko. youre better off with Roost, U turn or HP ice. HP ice pops Mega Aero and Amphy, but even then youll barely get the 2hko. Roost is for longevity and is probably the superior option while u turn is great pivot, but being SR weak isnt good.

Defog plus ability to spam hurricanes is Pidgeots niche. Its going to hit kind of hard, but is still underwhelming compared to Mega amphy, blastoise, etc..
HP Grass is for Rhyperior, who hard walls Mega Pidgeot without it. Either way, Roost is the superior option due to lack of Leftovers recovery.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
HP Water is also your best option against Rotom-H, another solid check to Pidgeot, although I think I'd still rather just U-turn out.

My list of ORAS Megas that should be in OU that could be in UU: Megagross: amazing speed, amazing ability in tough claws that helps him a ton, 145/ 105/ 110 attacking stats, and this thing can even be defensive with 80/ 150/ 110 defenses, megagross should definetly be OU, i dont know what would stop it.

next is Beedrill (yes bee): all out phsyical attacker with 65/ 40/ 80 defenses, because it's sooooo frail it might stay in UU, but these attacking stats 150/ (0) 15/ 145 (ignore horrible special attack) with adaptability (though if you get a hit on it it's basically dead) i just think it's too much for the tier.

next is Gallade: 165/ 65/ 110 attacking stats are good, because it gets SD with 68/ 95/ 115 defenses it can set up that SD and take a hit and start sweeping, it's gonna be a top tier threat in UU if it stays, and gonna be good in OU if it gets there: so why would it be UU if it has SD + ok bulk to take hits and get off SD/ Bulk Up (if you choose bulk up for defense increases) and start sweeping and ok fake out flinch immunity.

next is Swampert: first of all 150/ 95/ 70(+ swift swim in rain which makes it faster) and nice defenses of 100/ 110/ 110 which can be a defensive mega or a offensive one (if offensive will maybe bring rain teams) i can't really think of anything else.

and last one!!!: mega Lopunny!!! (this one idk if it should be OU or UU) Now with HJK!!! with 136/ 54/ 135 offenses (a lot of these are phsyical attackers and all of them seem to have bad or ok special attack) and 65/ 94/ 96 defenses (sort of frail)(this thing has 2 free moveslots after return and HJK which is great).

i can't think of any other megas.

Yeah Mega Altaria's gonna be fantastic, that typing allows it to check a plethora of mons and STAB Pixilate-boosted Return is such an easily spammable move. Dragon Dance/Return/Roost with the last slot having either EQ or Heal Bell is gonna be insanely hard to stop given the large amount of Pokemon that it can set up on and the limited number of Pokemon that can take an attack and KO back. 75/110/105 defenses are really really good for an offensive Pokemon - for comparison that's only slightly less overall bulk than Victini, but with an insanely good typing to go along with it.

Fortunately it's got a weakness to Rocks on initial switchin and is fairly slow even after a boost. But its typing is just so amazing, resisting the STAB attacks of EVERY common scarfer bar Jirachi. It'll be the best offensive Fairy, and it's even got a resistance to Fire which most Fairies would kill for. It can set up on, again, SO many highly used Pokemon it's unbelievably: Hydreigon, Mega Blastoise, Mega Ampharos, Mienshao, Suicune, Mega Absol, Shaymin, and Infernape are just a few of the strongest offensive threats it just says "fuck you" to.

TL;DR the combination of Mega Altaria's typing, boosted already-powerful STAB, access to Dragon Dance, and natural bulk is gonna make it close to broken imo.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Honestly, I think Lopunny is more dangerous than Gallade. Much better Speed tier, and the high base power of its super-spammable STABs makes up for the lower Attack. Tough to say without seeing them in action, though.

HP Grass is for Rhyperior, who hard walls Mega Pidgeot without it. Either way, Roost is the superior option due to lack of Leftovers recovery.
252 SpA Pidgeot Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 231-273 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rhyperior is so uncommon though. hp water is better as previously stated, but you are right with roost being the most superior option

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
On Pidgeot I believe the moveset should be

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

I really see no point in putting Defog on a pokemon that has access to a 100% accurate Hurricane + will generally lure in the Stealth Rocker anyway as Aerodactyl and some forms of Jirachi are usually free switches. Why not use U-turn to get a free switch into one of these threats below. They all pair nicely with Mega Pidgeot. Dugtrio traps steels that can tank Heat Wave such as Sp Def Jirachi as well as Raikou (not a steel but a good switch in to Pidgeot). It also traps Mega Ampharos which is also a solid switch in to Pidgeot, while having a nice move in Memento to possibly aid in some sort of sweep. Suicune scares out Aerodactyl which will generally be a switch-in and can set up on special walls such as Florges and non-Roar Mega Aggron. Jirachi is also more of an ofensive threat that too scare out the pokemon earlier mentioned that have free switches on Pidgeot. I see no point in wasting a move slot with Defog. Yes, it forces switches but it also takes SR itself. You're better off pairing it with something like a Donphan or Forretress for the spin support or some other Defog user. On an HO Team though Defog could definitely be nice as getting rid of those spikes would be cool :]

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish/Fire Punch
- Trick

Last edited:
I am having fun with Mega-Diancie set I am using is:

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Fairy + Ground for coverage and Diamond storm for STAB physical in bypassing would be special walls, hitting them for 2OHKO with the EVs. Aside that I found protect to be a wonderful move for M-Diancie as I've often found myself facing off against mons mega form could easily outspeed and OHKO but Diancie being stuck in base form made that impossible without being OHKOed or taking too much damage. With protect I've found myself easily bypassing that problem as well as scouting for choice locked VS lefties variants of certain pivots. This also alleviates the big problem of Diancie trying to mega-evolve, yes she has good defenses but without the investment and reduction I find her being much easier to take down or taking far too much damage. Overall, I find her terribly fun as a mixed clean up.

M-Swampert is looking like the best rain sweeper because of its mixture of power, bulk, and typing. it doesnt hit as hard as life orb kabutops nor has aqua jet, but its typing and bulk make up for that. the only thing it has to worry about is healthy ferrothorn and rotom-w.

M-Pidgeot if it doesn't get help from the move tutor, it is going to be a case of a cool pokemon with terrible movepool (like diancie). i dont think it can be an offensive defogger though, its not strong enough to do so. 3 utility + hurricane might be best. either that or 3 attacks + roost

I think the best set for M. Pidgeot:

-Hurricane
-Heat Wave
-HP Ground
-U-Turn/Roost/Work Up/Defog.

The first three are indispensable. HP grass does not offer much advantage over HP Ground.
If he could learn Focus Blast ... he would be in OU team.

Last edited:
I highly doubt they would bother with an ORAS UU, as we don't have a big enough playerbase to warrant it. Better to pre-arrange with someone and battle using UU mons in the ORAS OU.

One question which I have been wondering, with ORAS coming out in November, will there be the seasonal tier shift based on usage for drops between OU and UU? Because I would have thought that both tiers would be too unstable to be making usage changes, and was just wondering whether we will be hit with ORAS changes and tier changes at the same time.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You can always make a custom battle in order to play an ORAS UU battle, but I guess doing it in ORAS OU also works in that case.

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute / Knock Off
- Bulk Up

I've been tinkering with this guy in the damage calculator and I think this set will be a lot better than SD in the long run. Mega Gallade actually has enough special bulk to set up in front of weak Scalds (4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 70-84 (20.7 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO) and with single BU boost under its belt there's not much that can actually revenge-kill it :

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 206-246 (61.1 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 212-252 (62.9 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 184-217 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 86-102 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO lol
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 76-91 (22.5 - 27%) -- 40.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Air Slash vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 266-314 (78.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 330-390 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO savior bird to the rescue

I suppose you could run adamant and a different ev spread or something, I just think 110 is too sexy a speed tier to give up. This set is cleanly shuffled by Hippowdon, can't really touch Granbull, and is helpless vs Doublade if you don't run Knock Off.

-----------------------

As a side-note, has anyone come up with a single non-shit mon that can take on Mega Gross because honestly beyond Mega Aggron I'm stumped. Even defensive Rotom-H is cleanly 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt after SR, Doublade is 3HKOed by EQ and without Shadow Claw can only tickle it back, even SpDef Hippo is 2HKOed by GK with the tiniest investment in SpA...

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute / Knock Off
- Bulk Up

I've been tinkering with this guy in the damage calculator and I think this set will be a lot better than SD in the long run. Mega Gallade actually has enough special bulk to set up in front of weak Scalds (4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 70-84 (20.7 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO) and with single BU boost under its belt there's not much that can actually revenge-kill it :

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 206-246 (61.1 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 212-252 (62.9 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 184-217 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 86-102 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO lol
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. +1 240 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 76-91 (22.5 - 27%) -- 40.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Air Slash vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 266-314 (78.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 330-390 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO savior bird to the rescue

I suppose you could run adamant and a different ev spread or something, I just think 110 is too sexy a speed tier to give up. This set is cleanly shuffled by Hippowdon, can't really touch Granbull, and is helpless vs Doublade if you don't run Knock Off.

-----------------------

As a side-note, has anyone come up with a single non-shit mon that can take on Mega Gross because honestly beyond Mega Aggron I'm stumped. Even defensive Rotom-H is cleanly 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt after SR, Doublade is 3HKOed by EQ and without Shadow Claw can only tickle it back, even SpDef Hippo is 2HKOed by GK with the tiniest investment in SpA...
I think a sub bulk up set could definitely be interesting. It sets up on Alo/Gligar as neither can break the sub with 1 hit at +1 and has the speed to take on basically everything in the tier. I'd probably pair it with something that appreciates Alo/Gligar gone. Only thing that makes me hesistant on this set is that SD Gallade (or even flat out 4 atks) is such a good wall breaker on its own, does it really need sub bulk up? Especially since lacking lefties recovery. Cool set though, i definitely will try this when able 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)