Media One Piece (spoilers!)

So Doflamingo's ultimate goal is to wipe the floor with Celestial Dragon bubbles? Tas a shame, he and Dragon would have gone along just fine...

tehy

Banned deucer.
Luffy X Law

Giving Double Ds a whole new meaning.

(Also, remember when he was called Kidd? That would've been fun)

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
Eustass D. Kid, would make for a very sick name, I could see it happening. Also going back to what Vein said it would make a lot of sense considering Kid was next to two other D's. It'd be very weird if his name was Eustass D. Ki though, Corazon's compassion, what an amazing soul, to take physical pain and see it as the pain someone else is feeling is truly breathtaking. Very tragic though, he just wanted to protect his brother and help him out. Also motherfucking Oda...... forshadowing the fuck out of life. Corazons face can be seen in the space behind Nami's Clima-Tact and on Zoro's right side near the bottom of X Drake... its really hard to see here but thats Corazon down there. Shit is mindblowing, Oda has every thing done to perfection!

One question: if WG thinks Ds are such big threats, why the hell Garp was working for the marines??

Great flashback... Something you don't want to end.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The man called Dory in page 13 is most likely X Drake. Here are the clues that hint towards this:

1. The pirate Diez Barrels. The family name Diez is how "X" in X Drake is read. It's clearly written whenever Drake shows up in the manga, with the exact same spelling. (ディエス) He is a former marine gone pirate.
2. The pirate has a cleft chin, shared by Drake.
3. The pirate angrily calls "Dory" to bring booze, to which the young man replies "Right away.." The boy looks miserable from what we can see.
Drake is spelt in Japanese as Doreeku, Dory would completely match how nicknames are named in One Piece.
4. This is taking place in North Blue, where Drake hails from.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oh that makes sense; I thought for a second based on the character design that it might be Bellamy (mostly cause of the hair), but that seems like more justification. Bellamy is from North Blue though and DD killing Diez Barrels might be the reason Bellamy is obsessed with DD.

Anyway, this flashback is awesome; I can't remember a flashback I've enjoyed more.

The eventual Cora death scene is going to be heart breaking :X

I am trying to start the anime but 600+ episodes seems way too long, a friend gave me volume 1 to 15, i heard alabasta was one of the best arcs so is it worth starting reading the manga then watching the anime near the start of the alabasta arc?

Manga is better. Manga is faster. With the anime you have to deal with the creators need to fill 23 minutes. Establishing shots and sometimes barely anything on screen to stretch one chapter to one episode. I hate anime in general so i'm biased but with the manga you can read it at your own speed and wherever you go. I used to have all 700 chapters on my ipod in an app once(not sure if it still works).

There are some really good and well directed moments in the anime, but pre-timeskip has a lot of filler and and post-timeskip is unwatchable because of the pacing. As a general rule of thumb: The source material is better most of the time. It applies here as well.
I still enjoyed the anime a lot during the pre-timeskip episodes, but it's really really time consuming.
To answer your question: I think you should watch the first few arcs (those are really short) to find out whether or not you'll like the style of the show. If you find the anime to be not enjoyable by the time you finish Arlong Park, you probably shouldn't bother with the anime.

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
There are some really good and well directed moments in the anime, but pre-timeskip has a lot of filler and and post-timeskip is unwatchable because of the pacing. As a general rule of thumb: The source material is better most of the time. It applies here as well.
I still enjoyed the anime a lot during the pre-timeskip episodes, but it's really really time consuming.
To answer your question: I think you should watch the first few arcs (those are really short) to find out whether or not you'll like the style of the show. If you find the anime to be not enjoyable by the time you finish Arlong Park, you probably shouldn't bother with the anime.
This

Dunno, I enjoyed anime better. The reason I read the manga is to keep me updated; but the real meat is the anime.

Btw, can't wait for Pica's voice.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol I fucking hate the One Piece anime recently, and by recently I mean since the War, and ESPECIALLY since the timeskip.

The animation quality has gone down incredibly, they are reusing the same old soundtracks (not necessarily a bad thing on its own, but they're not making good, new soundtracks), and the pacing for some episodes has gone down to _half a chapter_. Half a chapter. For weekly manga the optimal pacing is usually between 1.5-3 chapters an episode...

That isn't mentioning the fact that the anime has absolutely skewered a few significant bad ass scenes, like Zoro SUPPOSING to ohko Hodi (instead, the anime made Hodi stand a chance and seem as strong as Zoro lol).

I heard that the anime after the 499 episodes are pretty wacky yeah, but i think i'm gonna start reading until the arlong arc to skip the start of the story which is pretty slow from what i heard, i may continue reading after the 499 (i think i have time to be there lol)

Lady Bug

Like the Wind
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't watch the anime, but my brother does. The biggest issue I noticed with it is that in every episode there is a review of what happened in the past... 50 episodes? that lasts for like 5 minutes. That only leaves like 15 minutes if not less for the actual episode. And as everyone said, the pacing is so slow so about 15 minutes won't cover much.. only positive thing out of this is they avoid fillers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)