ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people you encounter have nothing to do with unlocking the hidden content. For all of you who haven't unlocked the secret mission yet, soft reset for it.

I've tried soft resting before I don't think it works. I was supposed to fight Expert Theodore, so I soft reset and fighting him was still my mission. I soft reset 5 more times to make sure it wasn't coincidence. If missions are randomly generated then the generation happens before the demo saves after completing the previous mission. After playing the demo like 35 times I'm starting to feel like they go through a cycle rather than being random, though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*sigh* Maybe I'll try the list system instead of writing paragraphs, lists are much easier to read. Anyway...

The people you encounter have nothing to do with unlocking the hidden content. For all of you who haven't unlocked the secret mission yet, soft reset for it.
I have this theory: has anyone talked to all of the characters? Maybe you need to talk with all the characters to unlock the secret mission?

I've tried soft resting before I don't think it works. I was supposed to fight Expert Theodore, so I soft reset and fighting him was still my mission. I soft reset 5 more times to make sure it wasn't coincidence. If missions are randomly generated then the generation happens before the demo saves after completing the previous mission. After playing the demo like 35 times I'm starting to feel like they go through a cycle rather than being random, though.
Really? Odd, I once soft reset and discovered my mission and the island I went to completely changed. Of course I wasn't fighting Expert Theodore in any of them.

Don't the expert battles happen every 5th mission? The game obviously counts how many adventures you've had (even if Steven doesn't...)
I tried SRing on a non-expert battle, and it gave me something different, but I don't think you can get the secret mission just by SRing.
From what I've heard (on one of those videos that was linked many pages ago) once you get the secret encounter, you can go there over and over, so I doubt it's treated like a random encounter.

Just tested soft resetting again the first 4 resets gave me "help me find a pokemon that inhabits an island" mission although the islands and trainers and such were random in all 4, 5th reset gave me "help a lost person" so yeah resetting changes the mission with the exception of Theodore I guess.

I wasn't keeping track of when I did what mission but it was seeming like my encounters with Theodore were equally spaced and that's why I was feeling like it was a cycle and not random. Every 5th mission sounds right.

Because he got the secret adventure on his second play
I believe he said he got it on his 2nd day, not necessarily (and probably not) his 2nd play.

Last edited:
2nd play after completing the first 10, on the second day ^^.

The expert Theodore battle happens every 5 normal adventures, and you can't change that. I don't personally know that soft resetting works, but according to quite a few people on reddit, it's worked for them, and I have no reason to doubt them, and it fits in with my experience. Soft reset when you don't have the battle against expert theadore, I think.

Be nice 'yall. No reason we can't be civil.

Since for the past two generations Gamefreak has seemed to be cutting back on the need for HM slaves (i.e. creating routes that require multiple HM's to fully traverse, Victory Road not included because that's usually pretty HM heavy) I wonder if they'll do anything to improve that here? If I am recalling correctly, I remember this Gen3 being pretty HM heavy with a dash of bike switching. Given that we still have giant water routes it might be a lost cause... (I wish Pelliper could get dive, surf, fly, and waterfall instead of 2/4).

Although nothing compares to the HM Horror of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Those games gimped half my team at times.

Last edited:

Since for the past two generations Gamefreak has seemed to be cutting back on the need for HM slaves (i.e. creating routes that require multiple HM's to fully traverse, Victory Road not included because that's usually pretty HM heavy) I wonder if they'll do anything to improve that here? If I am recalling correctly, I remember this Gen3 being pretty HM heavy with a dash of bike switching. Given that we still have giant water routes it might be a lost cause... (I wish Pelliper could get dive, surf, fly, and waterfall instead of 2/4). B

Although nothing compares to the HM Horror of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Those games gimped half my team at times.
Why can't they repeat the BW formula in which none of the HMs were mandatory to beat the story? ._.

Since for the past two generations Gamefreak has seemed to be cutting back on the need for HM slaves (i.e. creating routes that require multiple HM's to fully traverse, Victory Road not included because that's usually pretty HM heavy) I wonder if they'll do anything to improve that here? If I am recalling correctly, I remember this Gen3 being pretty HM heavy with a dash of bike switching. Given that we still have giant water routes it might be a lost cause... (I wish Pelliper could get dive, surf, fly, and waterfall instead of 2/4). B

Main reason why I dislike Generation IV. The ONLY thing I enjoyed in Generation IV was the Battle Frontier Island in Platinum.

Main reason why I dislike Generation IV. The ONLY thing I enjoyed in Generation IV was the Battle Frontier Island in Platinum.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but Sinnoh was my absolute favorite region, specifically when it opened up more areas in Platinum. I loved the huge areas like Stark Mountain, Mount Coronet, the Distortion World, the snow region (217 I think?) and the game had loads of playability. In later regions, after the E4 the game seemed to die with not much else to do so maybe the bonus areas in Platinum helped me enjoy them more after playing later games. Also the amount of legendaries you encountered in Platinum was ridiculous too.

With ORAS, I really hope there is a lot of playability in this game both pre and post-E4. As much as I loved the improved graphics and design of X&Y, the game was somewhat of a letdown for me after beating the E4. There wasn't a lot of areas or trainers you can use to properly level-grind your team. Here's to hoping that ORAS improves on X&Y in that regard.

Having Trouble defeating a TRUE Pokémon expert? Worry no more with 9Tale’s guide to beating a Pokémon EXPERT!!!

How to beat Expert Theodore!!!
Lead with Swampert. Now look at just the bottom screen and press these buttons as they appear:
>Fight >Hydro Cannon >Switch Pokémon >Blaziken >Switch >Fight >Blast Burn >Switch Pokémon >Sceptile >Switch >Fight >Mega Evolution >Leaf Blade >Keep Battling >Fight >Ariel Ace >Fight >Frenzy Plant

Now look up….. OMG YOU WON!!!

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
when you say soft reset, can you just exit the demo to the home menu after talking with steven and seeing what mission he's giving.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but Sinnoh was my absolute favorite region, specifically when it opened up more areas in Platinum. I loved the huge areas like Stark Mountain, Mount Coronet, the Distortion World, the snow region (217 I think?) and the game had loads of playability. In later regions, after the E4 the game seemed to die with not much else to do so maybe the bonus areas in Platinum helped me enjoy them more after playing later games. Also the amount of legendaries you encountered in Platinum was ridiculous too.

With ORAS, I really hope there is a lot of playability in this game both pre and post-E4. As much as I loved the improved graphics and design of X&Y, the game was somewhat of a letdown for me after beating the E4. There wasn't a lot of areas or trainers you can use to properly level-grind your team. Here's to hoping that ORAS improves on X&Y in that regard.
You're not alone, Gen4 had issues and Diamond and Pearl were terrible due to their obvious beta status, but the "worst game" in the Pokemon series is open to debate. Gen4 gave us the phys/special split for one, and was notably one of the harder ones in terms of difficulty (Cynthia was a great fight, just great). I was just making an aside about the amount of HM-routes in that game, which seemed excessive (the foggy route, Mt. Coronet, the snow and mud routes, the cut forest, the rock smash cliffs, etc). While it was impressive to climb Mt. Coronet (and I don't think we have had another non-Victory road as massive as Mt. Coronet since), I remember doing it with three HM Slaves on the way to fight several bosses in a row.

You can still like a game despite hating an aspect of it.

Besides, we're all hyped about ORAS, but once upon a time this was viewed as the worst game in the series (mainly due to cutting off most of the pokedex and we had no idea if we were getting that back).

To end this on a topical note, if soar is really an upgraded fly (or can function like fly if not as quick about it), then that would help things a little bit since it is item based instead of move based. But I'm seeing that as post-game if that's not already given.

Having Trouble defeating a TRUE Pokémon expert? Worry no more with 9Tale’s guide to beating a Pokémon EXPERT!!!

Lead with Swampert. Now look at just the bottom screen and press these buttons as they appear:
>Fight >Hydro Cannon >Switch Pokémon >Blaziken >Switch >Fight >Blast Burn >Switch Pokémon >Sceptile >Switch >Fight >Mega Evolution >Leaf Blade >Keep Battling >Fight >Ariel Ace >Fight >Frenzy Plant

Wait, those moves have 100% Accuracy in the demo? Yay!

Nexus, you still have to restart it to get a different mission though, I think. SRs ARE basically just quicker restarts, right?

Also, I won't be able to SR to see what comes next for a while because I'm trying to SR a Timid Shiny event Gengar with good IVs to trade to my pokemon AS when it comes out cause Gengar's epic.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Getting the "secret mission" is completely random after beating Expert Theodore the first time. You don't need to go on any more adventures after that since there are no triggers anywhere by talking to anyone/everyone. It's possible to soft reset for it, but the "Let’s go somewhere secret!" menu selection doesn't actually show up until after you complete it. You have to see what Steven says after clicking "Let’s have an adventure!"

If Steven says anything other than this:
It looks as though running them off once wasn’t enough. That foolish team is back and causing more trouble. Orlando, I’ll ask for your assistance once more.
then soft reset with L+R+Start and check his "Let’s have an adventure!" dialog again.

I got it after about five to ten minutes of this but I probably got lucky since apparently very few people have seen it. Note: I have beaten Expert Theodore once and done zero other missions since then.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Was there people who were having a difficult time beating the Expert? Okay, I can understand if they started off with the wrong Pokemon, but even if you did you're usually able to recover by switching. Also you have Hyper Potions.

Getting the "secret mission" is completely random after beating Expert Theodore the first time. You don't need to go on any more adventures after that since there are no triggers anywhere by talking to anyone/everyone. It's possible to soft reset for it, but the "Let’s go somewhere secret!" menu selection doesn't actually show up until after you complete it. You have to see what Steven says after clicking "Let’s have an adventure!"

If Steven says anything other than this:

then soft reset with L+R+Start and check his "Let’s have an adventure!" dialog again.

I got it after about five to ten minutes of this but I probably got lucky since apparently very few people have seen it. Note: I have beaten Expert Theodore once and done zero other missions since then.
Thanks!...

So GameFreak, any reason this is a random secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)