Metagame NP: RU Stage 4: Do My Thang (READ POST #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I prefer Life Orb on offensive Whimsicott because being locked into Grass moves or a non-STAB 70% accuracy move kinda blows. Also, Life Orb gives it the freedom of running a support move such as Tailwind, Encore, Stun Spore, etc. The only merits with using that Choice Specs set > Life Orb from what I can see is the extra power, since you have Giga Drain to compensate for Life Orb recoil and even previous residual damage, but I'm not too sure what KOs Choice Specs Whimsicott gets over Life Orb, and whether or not those KOs are important enough to give up using a support move (which imo is one of the appeals of LO Cott) leaves me a bit hesitant to call Choice Specs a good item on offensive variants. If you were to use Choice Specs though, I'd recommend using Switcheroo so it can at least cripple Registeel, Golbat, and other Pokemon that typically counter Whimsicott, so then Choice Specs has more to differentiate itself over Life Orb, but even then that's kind of a stretch...

Last edited:
I prefer Life Orb on offensive Whimsicott because being locked into Grass moves or a non-STAB 70% accuracy move kinda blows. Also, Life Orb gives it the freedom of running a support move such as Tailwind, Encore, Stun Spore, etc. The only merits with using that Choice Specs set > Life Orb from what I can see is the extra power, since you have Giga Drain to compensate for Life Orb recoil and even previous residual damage, but I'm not too sure what KOs Choice Specs Whimsicott gets over Life Orb, and whether or not those KOs are important enough to give up using a support move (which imo is one of the appeals of LO Cott) leaves me a bit hesitant to call Choice Specs a good item on offensive variants. If you were to use Choice Specs though, I'd recommend using Switcheroo so it can at least cripple Registeel, Golbat, and other Pokemon that typically counter Whimsicott, so then Choice Specs has more to differentiate itself over Life Orb, but even then that's kind of a stretch...
Very true, however on certain team the additional damage can be very helpful, and can be just enough to OHKO or 2HKO certain pokemon. Not to mention, the additional move such as stun spore, encore, or tailwind isn't too helpful on Life Orb whimsicott anyways imo. It certainly helps, just not as much as I would like.

E.g:

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ambipom: 229-270 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes,
37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, about 100% chance to OHKO after Life Orb recoil (whimsicott outspeeds by one point)

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 212-250 (49 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cinccino: 247-292 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Claydol: 168-198 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, 95.5% chance WITHOUT Stealth Rock with Leftovers recovery (26.2% chance with Life Orb with Stealth Rock, 0.4% chance without Stealth Rock)

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Escavalier: 122-144 (43.4 - 51.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aromatisse: 181-214 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 182-216 (45 - 53.4%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Life Orb is 0.4% chance again)

Last edited:
Very true, however on certain team the additional damage can be very helpful, and can be just enough to OHKO or 2HKO certain pokemon. Not to mention, the additional move such as stun spore, encore, or tailwind isn't too helpful on Life Orb whimsicott anyways imo. It certainly helps, just not as much as I would like.

E.g:

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ambipom: 229-270 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes,
37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, about 100% chance to OHKO after Life Orb recoil (whimsicott outspeeds by one point)

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 212-250 (49 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cinccino: 247-292 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Claydol: 168-198 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, 95.5% chance WITHOUT Stealth Rock with Leftovers recovery (26.2% chance with Life Orb with Stealth Rock, 0.4% chance without Stealth Rock)

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Escavalier: 122-144 (43.4 - 51.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aromatisse: 181-214 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 182-216 (45 - 53.4%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Life Orb is 0.4% chance again)
The only calcs of those that are relevant at all are the Aromatisse calc and maybe the Amoonguss calc (full Spdef amoon seems kinda weird but w/e). The rest of these Pokemon are all terrible except Cinccino and Escavalier, the former of which is really frail and the latter of which never runs zero hp. If there were relevant calcs besides just that one, I might see why you would run it, but as of now I really don't see why it's worth losing the utility that lo whimsicott provides.

The only calcs of those that are relevant at all are the Aromatisse calc and maybe the Amoonguss calc (full Spdef amoon seems kinda weird but w/e). The rest of these Pokemon are all terrible except Cinccino and Escavalier, the former of which is really frail and the latter of which never runs zero hp. If there were relevant calcs besides just that one, I might see why you would run it, but as of now I really don't see why it's worth losing the utility that lo whimsicott provides.
I was only giving examples, there are several more if you would like them :)

either way, specs whimsicott is the better choice on certain teams, but I could see why you wouldn't like it.

Haha, I've always said Moltres (Sub Toxic) + Regice (3 Atk + TWave) can wall / break the entire tier. I was always so surprised with previous bans when these two shut down all past suspects!

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Haha, I've always said Moltres (Sub Toxic) + Regice (3 Atk + TWave) can wall / break the entire tier. I was always so surprised with previous bans when these two shut down all past suspects!
The problem with this is that Regice is sort of a suboptimal Pokemon; it's cool that you're using that though, as I've never really seen it.

(also, you're rhyperior / rock type weak as hell)

Not really, rhyperior handles it well if it's not running Aqua tail, same goes for gligar. Other mons too, but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.
Outside of what you mentioned weezing does amazing against drap and status and fast hitters make it semi difficult for drap to get around

EDIT: for my edit if anyone saw, completely misread the above post .-.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Just because something has a check doesn't mean it isn't effective.. come on now people.
He never said it wasn't effective, he was just listing some counters rofl.

Speaking of Drap, more people should be using this thing as it checks half the meta, sets up on half the meta, and reks half the meta. Not saying it's broken as it does have many viable checks n counters. SD Lum Taunt is my personal favorite set as it sets up on stall very easily and can clean with little to no prior damage or at least damage the opposition severely. SDef Drape is also really cool for stall teams as it has a plethora of support moves to use and abuse like tspikes, taunt whirlwind, knock, acupressure, and more.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Every team is SD Drapion weak as well.
SD Drapion is definitely one of the most anti-meta threats out there with the typing, stats, and especially the speed tier to easily be considered nothing less than top ten Pokemon of the tier. However, I've used it in the past and I can't stand how Dugtrio can easily trap and KO it. Without access to priority, it literally does nothing back. This is in contrast to Skuntank, who can do the following:

252+ Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 198-234 (93.8 - 110.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

However, Skuntank doesn't have the same speed tier, and has a much worse offensive movepool/4MSS, so there are definitely things that are still in Drapion's favor.

I guess I missed the part where that core could shut down SD Zoroark like it was nothing. Also, you might want to add another Pokemon to that core unless you really fee like getting demolished by SR.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The only suspect that core beat was Yanmega. It didn't stop Shuckle or Froslass from doing their job, lol (not to mention Sableye / Azelf / Sub Roost Kyurem / Tornadus all stomp them but idk if he was talking about quick bans or not o.o)

Last edited:
Alright, I've been lurking in the RU forums for a while now, so I'm just gonna drop something off here e.e

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Not sure if this has been brought up yet (I noticed EonX touched on this Pokemon on the first page lol) but 4 Attacks + LO Sigilyph is actually quite threatening from my experience. With Zoroark/Yanmega gone, Psychic types have become more prevalent in the meta, and Sigilyph is an oddball that actually has a niche. Psyshock is a mandatory STAB move, but it actually hits pretty weak even w/ Life Orb. It manages to 2HKO Specially Defensive Aromatisse, but it still isn't the strongest thing out there. It's coverage moves are its real selling point.

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 302-356 (83.1 - 98%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 270-320 (86.5 - 102.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Energy Ball vs. 56 HP / 200 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 394-464 (102.3 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 411-484 (123.4 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With the combination of Heat Wave/Ice Beam/Energy Ball, Sigilyph can take out a lot of annoying tanks and walls that would otherwise hinder a teammate's chance to sweep.

Even so, a weakness to Dark + Ghost makes it really darn frail and it requires a bit of prediction to be used well :^)

Alright, I've been lurking in the RU forums for a while now, so I'm just gonna drop something off here e.e

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Not sure if this has been brought up yet (I noticed EonX touched on this Pokemon on the first page lol) but 4 Attacks + LO Sigilyph is actually quite threatening from my experience. With Zoroark/Yanmega gone, Psychic types have become more prevalent in the meta, and Sigilyph is an oddball that actually has a niche. Psyshock is a mandatory STAB move, but it actually hits pretty weak even w/ Life Orb. It manages to 2HKO Specially Defensive Aromatisse, but it still isn't the strongest thing out there. It's coverage moves are its real selling point.

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 302-356 (83.1 - 98%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 270-320 (86.5 - 102.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Energy Ball vs. 56 HP / 200 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 394-464 (102.3 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 411-484 (123.4 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With the combination of Heat Wave/Ice Beam/Energy Ball, Sigilyph can take out a lot of annoying tanks and walls that would otherwise hinder a teammate's chance to sweep.

Even so, a weakness to Dark + Ghost makes it really darn frail and it requires a bit of prediction to be used well :^)
I'd really consider using Roost or Calm Mind over one of those coverage moves - the reliable recovery in roost makes sigilyph hard af to wear down (especially for more defensive teams) and calm mind can let it tear through bulkier cores after just 1 boost. It also lets you dodge sucker punches to make it like slightly harder for Bulky Offense teams to deal with you.

I think it also gets dazzling gleam for nailing predicted spiritombs and to make you harder to trap.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

I agree that Life Orb Sigilyph is a pretty solid (if not uncommon) Pokemon that has a pretty cool niche in the current meta thanks to its speed tier and great coverage. However, i agree with Billtodamax that i'd definitely try fitting at least Roost in there somewhere. The reliable recovery you get out of Roost is almost impossible to pass up imo to help make sure Sigilyph doesn't get worn down too quickly by repeated hits. Personally i'd use Roost over Ice Beam (especially if you run Psychic>Psyshock) since all it seems to be hitting is Gligar, but maybe that's just me. I'd also like to mention that i quite like the combination of both Calm Mind and Roost on Sigilyph, those two moves and Sigilyph's Magic Guard ability make it quite similar to Calm Mind Reuniclus in that it's one of the scariest things a defensive team can possibly face (Magic Guard makes you immune to passive damage, and most defensive Pokemon don't hit hard enough to break through even 0/0 sigi, especially after a few Calm Minds), except in Sigilyph's case it trades a fair amount of bulk for a nice speed tier and a cool coverage option in Heat Wave that help it beat some Pokemon that Reuniclus would really struggle with (nuking Escavalier and smacking slightly weakened SD Drapion with a +1 Heat Wave before it can hit you with Knock Off are two good examples here).

Last edited:

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Another cool option you can use is Dark Pulse over Energy Ball. You miss on hitting Rhyperior but you gain the ability of hitting Meloetta, Delphox, and Cresselia while still having the coverage on Slowking which I find very useful. And I agree with Molk on the fact that Roost over Ice Beam is quite a must :)

SD Victreebel has proven very anti-meta as well. Optimal item has yet to be discovered.

Victreebel @ Black Sludge / ???
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch
- Encore
- Swords Dance

Like I said previously.. Anti-Meta Drapion

Drapion @ Lum Berry / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

and this Mismagius set...

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.

This charming tortoise is a very adorable and underappreciated Pokemon in RU. I found that two particular sets were rather nice on it. The first set, Rock Polish, is a pretty fearsome late-game cleaner thanks to its high BP STABs and coverage moves, what's even better is that Torterra can outspeed even Choice Scarf Moltres with a Jolly nature when at +2, letting it completely rip through offense late-game, provided there's nothing unfun like Fletchinder or Mega Abomasnow. The second set I found to be useful, and one that I built a solid team around is the Stealth Rock set. Torterra can check a lot of top threats in RU, which include Doublade, Cobalion, Rhyperior, Drapion, Jolteon, Magneton, and more. What's even better is that Torterra has reliable recovery, making it fairly self-sufficient on top of its great offensive presence thanks to its powerful STABs and solid Attack stat, and access to Stealth Rock letting it support its team even further. As a Stealth Rock user, Torterra isn't half bad, as it's able to force quite a few switches, and best of all, it can beat the premier Defog user Gligar as a result of having access to Grass-STAB and being slow enough to exploit Roost's mechanics. Below, you'll find the two good sets Torterra can use, although there probably are even more as it is surprisingly versatile.

Torterra @ Earth Plate
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is pretty standard for the most part. I prefer Earth Plate over a Grass-move boosting item because most of the targets Wood Hammer is directed towards won't survive the first hit, whereas the targets Earthquake is intended to break are very sturdy, such as Doublade, Registeel, etc. It's not a hard Pokemon to fit on a team and it's fairly self-sufficient, usually pairing it with a wallbreaker in Moltres is a good place to start (particularly because Torterra forces out Slowking and sets up) if you want to build a team around it.

The second set is something I like as well, but I'd like to show its effectiveness with a team I messed around with:

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Substitute

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald
- Volt Switch

Aromatisse (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Skuntank (F) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Punishment
- Defog
- Pursuit

I built this team around SR Torterra, which is weird thing to build around, but it worked out pretty well nonetheless. Lanturn and Cobalion where meant to help cover Torterra's weak spots, i.e Fire-types and Mega Abomasnow. Aromatisse helps tie in this team by providing Cleric support, a Fighting check when needed, as well as Wish support for both Lanturn and Skuntank. Since I was using Cobalion as my go-to stallbreaker, I needed some Pursuit support to help with that, so I went with Skuntank which also gave me the liberty of running Choice Scarf Moltres as a cleaner. Torterra is made to fit on these types of balanced teams, and I have to say it performs admirably in them too. If you're still skeptical about Torterra in this meta, then I recommend you give this team a spin, it covers just about everything and matches up against other play styles pretty consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)