Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about M-Latias and M-Latios ?

At first glance I thought that latios@LO did the same job, without wasting mega slot, but I began to test M-Latias with CM on a rain team, and I'm really impressed of his bulk and good sp atk. The only drawback is that you can't go with the classic moveset in BW (Dpulse/Cm/Recover/Sub) since you get walled by fairy type, but without sub you lose to ferro/tran and critical hits.

About M-Latios, I guess a mixed set will suit better, or even an DD set.

I was thinking about playing around with a similar idea. What was your EV spread like? I was thinking max SAtk and Speed since Atk can be buffed with Swords Dance.
I don't think it needs much special attack to effectively nuke with leaf storm, and it needs the max attack for effective sweeping, so I run:

Hasty/Naive

252 ATK 72 SPATK 184 SPE

- Leaf storm
- Outrage
- Low kick
- Swords dance

Leaf storm is your typical nuke, outrage is for late game cleaning or another revenging option (assess teams carefully before clicking this), low kick is great coverage and swords dance is to boost, which is effortless with the amount of switches sceptile forces. The speed EVs speed creep other sceptile and also outrun thundurus before mega evolving, which is good if you want to kill it with outrage since other revengers get t-waved.

Apologies for terrible formatting, I'm on my phone.

EDIT: it goes without saying that you need a solid response to fairies if you choose to run this set. I use specially defensive Defog Scizor and specs Gengar so this is a non-issue, but it's definitely something to note.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion

At first glance I thought that latios@LO did the same job, without wasting mega slot, but I began to test M-Latias with CM on a rain team, and I'm really impressed of his bulk and good sp atk. The only drawback is that you can't go with the classic moveset in BW (Dpulse/Cm/Recover/Sub) since you get walled by fairy type, but without sub you lose to ferro/tran and critical hits.

I just went old fashioned and stuck with the classic moveset and overprepared for fairies. I'm using a bandtar to try and lure in common fairy switch-ins and nail them with a stone edge, mostly clefable and azu.
M-latios with dd sounds really bad imo, i'd rather go something like offensive CM where I don't have to suffer life orb damage.

Latias is female.
Mega latias is really good, her physical bulk is extremely impressive and calm mind makes her invincible on the special side (outside of greninja and other dragons who drop draco meteors) and improves her already strong base 140 special attack.
I have yet to find an impressive set for latios because I don't believe there is one. I've tried all out offensive, calm mind, mixed, DD etc and every time I was thinking how it would be much better if I just used LO latios + another mega.

Mega latios is not bad, nothing with those stats can be, but it's not really worth using over LO latios at all.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tbh I'm not really a fan of any Hidden Power on MCamerupt since you hit even resists very hard with your dual STABs and I would much rather have the utility of Rocks or Wisp in most cases, or heck, even an accurate Fire STAB with high PP, over the ability to hit one or two things slightly harder. But the choice between HP Ice and HP Grass is basically the choice between dealing more damage to the Latis or Rotom-W on switchin, you don't hit anything else important with either HP to my knowledge.

edit : HP Ice also OHKOs Naive Garchomp and Phys Def Lando-T after rocks so it's better than HP Grass overall I guess. HP Grass OHKOs Quag too but idk if Quag is even relevant at all (also you outspeed it by one point assuming it's running a Relaxed nature and it can't even OHKO you back so you actually beat it 1v1 even w/o HP Grass lol)

Last edited:
I guess it kinda picked up to revenge kill mega charizard x, because it can run jolly to outspeed scarf lando-t, but doesn't outspeed scarf Latios. You could say the same as a revenge killer for mega mence, but one of the most effective sets now is sub dd, so I guess that kinda works.
What is this sub DD set people are talking about? Is it the bulky set with dragon dance, normal, sub, and roost? Or is it an offensive set with max atk/spe with dragon dance, sub, normal, earthquake/fire blast/dragon???

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is this sub DD set people are talking about? Is it the bulky set with dragon dance, normal, sub, and roost? Or is it an offensive set with max atk/spe with dragon dance, sub, normal, earthquake/fire blast/dragon???
The sub DD set people are talking about is Sub, DD, Roost, and Return. Refresh can be used in there too.

So yeah erm I just made a really tryhard team with Mega Mence and it looks pretty disgusting...

Mega Salamence(SpD)
DD
Sub
Roost
Return

AV Conkeldurr
Drain Punch
Ice Punch
Knock Off
Mach Punch

Specs Magnezone
Volt Switch
Tbolt
Flash Cannon
HP Fire

LO Latias
Draco Meteor
HP Fire
Healing Wish
Defog

Scarf Keldeo
Hydro Pump
Secret Sword
Scald
Icy Wind

Def Rhyperior
SR
EQ
Stone Edge
Ice Punch

Mega Mence, AV Conkeldurr, and Specs Magnezone is a goddamn terrifying core. AV Conkeldurr beats literally every single one of Mega Mence's most reliable checks outside of Skarmory, at whom Magnezone laughs, not to mention they have good type synergy. Latias is for ZardY, Keld, Defog, and Healing Wish. Scarf Keld is for Bisharp, Gren, and revenge killing. Def Rhyperior is for SR, bird spam, Zard X, and checking Mega Mence. I personally love Rhyperior, it's typing and stats are amazing for beating so many top threats, but its stats and typing also a double-edged sword since it opens up a lot of weaknesses and any special attacker destroys it.

Imma feel dirty using this >:)

Has anyone formed an opinion as to what mega altaria's best set is? I'm seeing a lot of defensive/specially defensive DD sets but right now I prefer the purely offensive sets due to the immediate power. I'm wondering if mega altaria will have a clear best set in a few months or will it be one of those pokemon with a plethora of equally good sets to choose from.

Has anyone formed an opinion as to what mega altaria's best set is? I'm seeing a lot of defensive/specially defensive DD sets but right now I prefer the purely offensive sets due to the immediate power. I'm wondering if mega altaria will have a clear best set in a few months or will it be one of those pokemon with a plethora of equally good sets to choose from.
Few pokemon have a best set, specially those balanced mons like altaria. Its just so damm Useful from hral bell to spa atk to dd to semistal, I cannot see Maltaria having a so claimed best set unless you are one of the guys who just want to dd fairy sweep, wich is a thing only altaria can do at the moment.

I need to check my data but M altaria can even perish trap if it got block from the tutors.

So I got to play a bit in the oras ladder, and I have to say I noticed two surprising things:
1-klefki is more common, and I'm not sure why. Maybe its because its good against megamence ?
2-this what bothering me more, but people seem to have less of hazard control, is it just me? And if I'm right what do you think its the reason for this?

So I got to play a bit in the oras ladder, and I have to say I noticed two surprising things:
1-klefki is more common, and I'm not sure why. Maybe its because its good against megamence ?
2-this what bothering me more, but people seem to have less of hazard control, is it just me? And if I'm right what do you think its the reason for this?
People are just now just realizing Klefki is very good. Prankster Screens, Spike and TWave, great typing, and decent enough offenses make it a very good option in the meta. It's very easy to fit onto teams, and can check Salamence that don't carry Sub or Refresh.

The ladder's new and attracts a lot of attention, and not every user think about hazard control I guess. Most newer players don't carry any kind of hazard control or hazards at all.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
1. Yeah its for that reason. There are a couple others but that is the main one.
2. I can only speak on teams that have msableye and mdiancie which when built well dont need any hazard control due to the nature of thier ability magic bounce. Outside of those its probably the fast paced meta where matches are over quick with such huge threats in it or something where hazard removal isnt a huge deal because of mitigating sr weaknesses all together.

2. I can only speak on teams that have msableye and mdiancie which when built well dont need any hazard control due to the nature of thier ability magic bounce.
Just adding that Magic Bounce is not an excuse to leave Defog or Rapid Spin off of your team. Magic Bounce should always be used as secondary hazard control, never primary. Otherwise, you can become very predictable with when your MBer will come in.

Minor question I have.

What kind of teams does Lopunny fit into most effectively? I've already seen how it aids HO teams using HW and other filler move, but how would it perform on Balance?
I think it would work fine on balance. Also long as you have a way to pivot it in (U-turn, VoltSwich, simply double switching) which are usually found on balance anyway, you're golden.

Call me crazy and/or stupid, but I've been having some success with an Agility Altaria with Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, and Earthquake. It's sort of a mixed bag but it's really good late game. Cool thing about it is that after rocks and a hyper voice, heatran goes down to eq. Here's the set.
Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure -> Pixilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Agility
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
Lemme know what you think as usual. Any optimized evs would be nice as well.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Just adding that Magic Bounce is not an excuse to leave Defog or Rapid Spin off of your team. Magic Bounce should always be used as secondary hazard control, never primary. Otherwise, you can become very predictable with when your MBer will come in.
This isnt necessarily the case to be perfectly honest. This is including setting your own hazards anyways. In msableyes case they will either run a spinner which sableye will block or they will run defog which would just help clear the hazards on your field while basically gaining a free turn. In the case of mdiancie it has enough offensive pressure provided with teammates to make this possible as well. Im not saying its the greatest idea to not run hazard removal but it really comes down to team building philosophy. For example i always suggest hazard removal of sorts but with an msableye team i made there is none what so ever because the synergy and build is designed to maintain hazard pressure. So it wont be unheard of if those teams do arise, which they already have.

Maybe higher up the ladder at say 1300-1500 it is different since I see a whole lot of Lati@s and Excadrills.

Did some more Lopunny testing, found a set I really like.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Baton Pass
- Fake Out

This set is honestly brutal in how efficiently it dismantles offensive teams. The EV spread is pretty simple - maxed attack, enough speed for jolly Weavile (since it's only a couple of EVs more than Greninja and I figured it might be more common with MegaMence around) and the rest in bulk. This leaves Lopunny very fast, moderately strong and surprisingly bulky - for example, max attack adamant Dragonite always fails to OHKO with Outrage, even with Stealth Rock on the field (I know Dragonite isn't a hugely relevant Pokemon but its Outrage is not weak).

Fake Out is probably the most unusual move on this set, and although I usually dislike the move I think it fits Lopunny very well. The biggest downsides of Fake Out in my eyes are that it robs the user of coverage and invites normal resists/immunities in for free. Lopunny rectifies both of these because it doesn't need coverage and HJK ensures rock/steel types rarely consider switching in, while Scrappy makes ghosts a terrible answer. In return, Fake Out allows Lopunny-M to beat basically any offensive Pokemon one-on-one by affording the extra bit of damage it needs to take on fighting resists. Latios is always 2HKOd by Fake Out + Frustration, Latias is with SR on the field (or a round of LO recoil), Greninja dies almost 100% of the time to straight Frustation with SR up but if it isn't Fake Out allows you kill it anyway, Gengar dies to Frustration, Sceptile-M dies to HJK (and you always survive 252 neutral nature Leaf Storm if SR is not up), Azumarill is easily 2HKOd by Frustration if it switches in, etc. It's actually mind boggling how good this Pokemon is - it reminds me of the way Manectric-M dismantles teams in the endgame, except it can do it in the mid-game instead.

The other three moves are fairly self explanatory - fairly strong STABs (Lopunny-M hits far harder than Manectric-M purely due to attack base power, despite their similar attacking stats) and Baton Pass for momentum, trapping, etc. Because of Fake Out + Baton Pass + massive speed, Lopunny-M almost always leads off the game very well - attacking leads are disposed of before they can do anything while against bulkier leads you can get a hit in while they set up SR and then Baton Pass to an appropriate wallbreaker. Here's a fun replay of the set completely destroying run-of-the-mill offense.

Another fun game vs offense where Lopunny handily cleans up.

Last edited:
Did some more Lopunny testing, found a set I really like.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Baton Pass
- Fake Out

This set is honestly brutal in how efficiently it dismantles offensive teams. The EV spread is pretty simple - maxed attack, enough speed for jolly Weavile (since it's only a couple of EVs more than Greninja and I figured it might be more common with MegaMence around) and the rest in bulk. This leaves Lopunny very fast, moderately strong and surprisingly bulky - for example, max attack adamant Dragonite always fails to OHKO with Outrage, even with Stealth Rock on the field (I know Dragonite isn't a hugely relevant Pokemon but its Outrage is not weak).

Fake Out is probably the most unusual move on this set, and although I usually dislike the move I think it fits Lopunny very well. The biggest downsides of Fake Out in my eyes are that it robs the user of coverage and invites normal resists/immunities in for free. Lopunny rectifies both of these because it doesn't need coverage and HJK ensures rock/steel types rarely consider switching in, while Scrappy makes ghosts a terrible answer. In return, Fake Out allows Lopunny-M to beat basically any offensive Pokemon one-on-one by affording the extra bit of damage it needs to take on fighting resists. Latios is always 2HKOd by Fake Out + Frustration, Latias is with SR on the field (or a round of LO recoil), Greninja dies almost 100% of the time to straight Frustation with SR up but if it isn't Fake Out allows you kill it anyway, Gengar dies to Frustration, Sceptile-M dies to HJK (and you always survive 252 neutral nature Leaf Storm if SR is not up), Azumarill is easily 2HKOd by Frustration if it switches in, etc. It's actually mind boggling how good this Pokemon is - it reminds me of the way Manectric-M dismantles teams in the endgame, except it can do it in the mid-game instead.

The other three moves are fairly self explanatory - fairly strong STABs (Lopunny-M hits far harder than Manectric-M purely due to attack base power, despite their similar attacking stats) and Baton Pass for momentum, trapping, etc. Because of Fake Out + Baton Pass + massive speed, Lopunny-M almost always leads off the game very well - attacking leads are disposed of before they can do anything while against bulkier leads you can get a hit in while they set up SR and then Baton Pass to an appropriate wallbreaker. Here's a fun replay of the set completely destroying run-of-the-mill offense.
That replay was bonkers lol. Although one thing to note about fake out is that with scrappy, nothing is immune and will huge damage bar bully moms/ resists so imo it's a pretty good option as mLop has all the coverage she meds.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
While 105 speed isn't terrible, it is still outsped by Latios, Gengar, Keldeo and Greninja to name a few. With Fake Out you have a free turn to mega and deal some damage, so you break sashes and sturdy. It's the same reason why Mega Medicham runs it too. Other coverage is great for mons like Gliscor, but not needed as the coverage is unresisted. If you really need the coverage if your team lacks a Landorus counter for example, fake out can be replaced. BP gives you the momentum and you can always mega on mons that are slower when Lopunny is not mega and not be outsped

I am super stoked for Mega Beedrill. At first Mega salamance was the one I was looking forward to the most, but after seeing the stats I made up my mind that mega Beedrill is what I am looking forward to the most based on it's speed, attack and ability. Thing is stronger and faster than Mega Lucario, but more frail. I'm wondering if mega beedrill will be uber'd due to its outrageous speed and attack. Could run drill on it to take down Heatran and other fire types.

Call me crazy and/or stupid, but I've been having some success with an Agility Altaria with Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, and Earthquake. It's sort of a mixed bag but it's really good late game. Cool thing about it is that after rocks and a hyper voice, heatran goes down to eq. Here's the set.
Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure -> Pixilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Agility
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
Lemme know what you think as usual. Any optimized evs would be nice as well.
i think if your going to go full offensive altaria, you might as well go physical. return/double edge is stronger, and dragon dance will boost your speed and give you extra power.

the only good thing about agility is you outspeed base 145 mons. dragon dance with jolly loses to 145 speed tier by 1 point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)