Malamar [QC 3/3]

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Orphic this is going to need some work with Spiritomb gone. Be sure to remove all mentions of it.

I also highly doubt the viability of both Scarf and Assault Vest. Scarf is really easy to counter because it's weak and the reason why Malamar is scary is because it has coverage for Fighting resists that come in on Superpower. The only real niche would be Scarf Popsy Turvy, which isn't even on the set. I guess Assault Vest could be usable, but I still don't think it's the best Malamar can do.

I'd like to see discussion of a RestTalk set, a la:

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Effectively, it's a RestTalk Bulk Up set but with good coverage. The only thing the set struggles with is Fairy-types, which every Malamar struggles to beat anyways.

I don't think ChestoRest is the best either because Knock Off effectively makes it worthless. This set doesn't mind Knock Off and boosts more reliably, exchanging immediate offensive pressure for the ability to butt devastate stall and balanced teams.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Orphic this is going to need some work with Spiritomb gone. Be sure to remove all mentions of it.

I also highly doubt the viability of both Scarf and Assault Vest. Scarf is really easy to counter because it's weak and the reason why Malamar is scary is because it has coverage for Fighting resists that come in on Superpower. The only real niche would be Scarf Popsy Turvy, which isn't even on the set. I guess Assault Vest could be usable, but I still don't think it's the best Malamar can do.

I'd like to see discussion of a RestTalk set, a la:

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Effectively, it's a RestTalk Bulk Up set but with good coverage. The only thing the set struggles with is Fairy-types, which every Malamar struggles to beat anyways.

I don't think ChestoRest is the best either because Knock Off effectively makes it worthless. This set doesn't mind Knock Off and boosts more reliably, exchanging immediate offensive pressure for the ability to butt devastate stall and balanced teams.
Scarf was viable because Switcheroo fuked up Tomb (and you know, gave Malamar the ability to switch moves again, Malamar can pretty easily ditch its Scarf in most cases), although that is obviously less necessary now. AV is meh, but at least it has coverage for Rock Slide I guess, maybe both for OO?

Yeah I'll have to agree, RestTalk Malamar is better than ChestoRest. While boosted invested Psycho Cuts can put the hurt on Fairies and Clear Smoggers (Weezing and Garbo), Sleep Talk means that Malamar won't run into Superpower PP issues.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Make sure to give Topsy Turvy a mention in OO for stopping setup sweepers cold, but make a point of explaining how situational it is and how it coul be counterproductive with the incorrect prediction (e.g. if used right after the opponent uses Superpower/CC/Draco/Overheat/Hammer Arm or something)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Malamar usually has a lack of free turn to set up, switching your scarf onto an opponent can give Malamar that free turn.
is why scarf was mentioned, and I don't think that really changed. Scarf is still useful in certain cases and with certain team support. I'd be alright with dropping it down to the third set, but not with rememoving it entirely [if thats what you were even suggesting hollywood]

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes I was suggesting removing it entirely.

I don't understand how it doesn't get free turns to set up when it's doing damage while setting up. Come in on something that doesn't want to take a Superpower, click Superpower, ???, profit.

I feel like the set order should be RestTalk -> ChestoRest, with AV and Scarf both in OO.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Orphic this looks like its ready to be written, when will that be done? I feel like the setorder needs to change and you should put Rest Talk first. Also update the Usage Tips on Rest Talk and make them a bit clearer as you get unlimited PP on Superpower if you get it used through Rest Talk im pretty sure also let people know when to start attempting a sweep with Malamar, like when checks / counters are out of the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)