XY Ubers RMT: Uber Stall: Trolling Keys

In this day and age, stall is becoming harder and harder... Or is it? With the introduction of Klefki, stall teams gained access to an amazing Pokemon with several things going for it. An amazing ability in Prankster, Spikes, dual screens, and to sweeten the deal it was even graced with Foul Play.

This got me to thinking. Normally, stall isn't my preferred style of battle, I typically run balanced or hyper offensive teams. The idea of stall in Ubers I had always felt wasn't that viable. But, I decided to give it a try and came up with this.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Roost

Unfortunately, a few new titans were introduced into the Ubers Metagame, notably Xerneas and Yvetal. Xerneas' fearsome Geomancy meant I needed something that could hit hard, take a hit, (or outspeed) and either one shot, or leave the fearsome deer so wounded that it could be handled by another pokemon without too much trouble.
Thankfully, Ho-Oh stepped up to the plate with its great special defense and devastating firepower. (Pun intended.) Not even a +2 Thunder can one shot Ho-Oh, and that made it a very worthy choice. Especially since Ho-Oh resists Xerneas' Stab moves. Plus, Brave Bird, Sacred Fire and Earthquake make life much more miserable for Pokemon Like Ferrothorn, Most Arceus forms that wants to switch in, and Aegislash. Another good note is with two phasers and hazards, if Ho-Oh is able to come in on Xerneas after it took some hazard damage and still hasn't been able to set up, it reliably can take the Pokemon down without suffering too much damage, saving it to pick off threats again and again as long as rocks aren't up.

Roost is there so if an opportunity arises to heal safely, it can regain crucial HP without needing a wish pass or regenerator abuse.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Foul Play

When making a stall team, entry hazards are crucial. A steel type with Prankster with spikes? It's very hard to not get at least one layer up. But with dual screens buffing Klefki's great typing and so-so defenses, it becomes much harder to kill the keychain. Many would let Klefki die after setting up a layer or two of hazards and its screens, but if it had a way to recover it's health... It could keep setting up screens whenever they dropped, making it harder to kill...

One of the key reasons I chose physically defensive Klefki to be able to get up a reflect up in Groudon's face and not die to an earthquake instantly. Plus, light screen is typically the first screen that goes up, so if a surprise physical attack comes its way after setting up light screen, Klefki has a better chance at taking the hit.
But, Specially Defensive Klefki is also a very worthy choice in Ubers.

Which leads us to a couple of great companions.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

Completing the Entry Hazard Setting ensemble (Toxic Spikes were set to the side for a couple of key reasons which are fairly apparent below...), Ferrothorn's Stealth Rock is crucial for crippling pokemon like Multiscale Lugia and Regenerator Ho-Oh. (A pokemon that can give this team trouble if left unchecked.) Protect serves two purposes; first for scouting, and secondly to give a bit more recovery. That tiny bit of extra time can often let Ferrothorn take just one more hit. As Ubers is a more specially based meta, I chose to run Specially defensive Ferrothorn to absorb hits from most threats. (Barring Fire types like Reshiram.) Thanks to Ferrothorn's good natural physical defenses, it can also take several hits on the physical side with the assistance of protect and leech seed. Kind of a standard support set, but it does it's job well.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Between Ferrothorn's leech seed and Chansey's wish, Klefki can often come back from the brink to once again serve the team with the ever so vital dual screens. Aromatherapy and wish serve clerical needs. Meanwhile, Thunder Wave can cripple quick targets that would otherwise be devastating. (Scarf Genesect is a notable target.) Seismic Toss is mostly so Chansey isn't completely helpless if taunted.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Many people would run defog on Lugia, and I can fully respect that. At one point, I almost put it on as well. However, as a stall team, removing your own entry hazards is a devastating blow, and should be avoided if at all possible. Furthermore, few pokemon on the team are bothered by toxic spikes, and stealth rocks only will badly cripple a late game Ho-Oh or paralyzed Lugia. So instead, Lugia became a fast bulky support pokemon that could spread toxic across the opposing team. Whirlwind is crucial as it removes any and all stat increases while roost helps keep Lugia healthy. Ice beam was chosen over Aeroblast because of the Power Point difference, accuracy, small chance to freeze, and better coverage.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Dragon Tail
- Sleep Talk

When I first started playing in Generation 5's uber metagame, my first major loss came from an extremekiller Arceus. Ever since, I've always kept the threat in mind, and few Pokemon are quite as good as a check as physically defensive Giratina.
Giratina serves as a physical wall that spreads burns on physical attackers such as Groudon and Extremekiller Arceus. It also phases out Pokemon attempting to set up on it with Dragon tail. For good measure, I decided to run rest-talk despite the fact that Chansey is on the team due to the (decently high) chance that chansey could be picked off before waking Giratina up and leaving the team open to a sweep from a Pokemon like Extremekiller Arceus.
It also can shut down rapid spinners so that's a nice asset to have.

Problematic Pokemon:
Genesect
Genesect has a frustrating immunity to toxic, threatening stats on both physical and special sides, and is incredibly diverse with moves such as extremespeed, explosion, U turn, thunderbolt, and so on. Usually, crippling genesect with a thunderwave is enough to neuter the threat, although Will-O-Wisp isn't a bad option either should a safe chance arise.
Mewtwo
Mewtwo is another powerful and fast Pokemon that can strike on either the Special or Physical side. Mewtwo X isn't typically too threatening due to the reliance on physical moves, and being crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Mewtwo Y is considerably more dangerous, but a single Thunder Wave turns it into a much easier to handle threat. Foul Play also works wonders when hazards are up.
Life Orb Mewtwo is probably the most threatening of the bunch and with a few key predictions, could take out a crucial wall such as Giratina or Klefki.
Xerneas
If Ho-Oh fell earlier, and Lugia is not at high HP, a +2 (Anything really) can deal terrible damage. Especially if screens are not up or available.
Cloyster
After a shell smash, this Pokemon is incredibly threatening to key pokemon such as Lugia and Giratina. Especially late game if no status affliction has crippled the bivalve Pokemon.

Ultimately, this team primarily relies on staying healthy, being able to predict the next move of the opponent, not allowing the foe to get up stat increases often, (Or at all preferably) and wearing down the foe one by one.

I do apologize if I rambled here and there, but I'm unfortunately very good at going off on a tangent. Feel free to make suggestions to both the style of the RMT and the team itself. This is my second RMT and I do think it's improved over the last one, but input does help.

Last edited:
Hi, BlazeTemplar. Have an interesting team. Not much to improve, but I can say something.

Ho-oh; I like the idea with Ironhead try to stop the fairies who frequent the Lares of ubers. But I think you'll get better results if you put Roost in place, combined with his ability will become more dudadero. And it is an important poké your team.

Lugia; not much to say Lugia is the classic. Only I would change the Icebeam by Sub. You can go well with their ability combined with Sub + Toxic Roost and you become the most annoying defensive level. Having finally seeing movement to go become damaged pokes rivals once put the SR and Spikes. (Whirlwind).

I would do just those small changes, because the team is fine as is. Solid, have everything covered in my opinion, etc. I could not touch much. Congratulations on your computer, not bad.

Hi, BlazeTemplar. Have an interesting team. Not much to improve, but I can say something.

Ho-oh; I like the idea with Ironhead try to stop the fairies who frequent the Lares of ubers. But I think you'll get better results if you put Roost in place, combined with his ability will become more dudadero. And it is an important poké your team.

Lugia; not much to say Lugia is the classic. Only I would change the Icebeam by Sub. You can go well with their ability combined with Sub + Toxic Roost and you become the most annoying defensive level. Having finally seeing movement to go become damaged pokes rivals once put the SR and Spikes. (Whirlwind).

I would do just those small changes, because the team is fine as is. Solid, have everything covered in my opinion, etc. I could not touch much. Congratulations on your computer, not bad.
I originally put Iron head on because of Xerneas, but after running a few damage calcs, Iron Head doesn't quite net the kills despite the SE. Unless of course Diance or Carbink become common in Ubers the move is a bit redundant. Roost could definitely be handy for Ho-Oh and help it stick around a lot longer. I think I'll make that a change.

Hm, running sub might be a good option, but that does make Lugia worthless if taunted...hmm... I'm a bit iffy on this one, but I might have to give it a test once I get some spare time later on.

I really considered the 4 non attacking moves idea on Lugia, but I couldn't justify turning it into complete taunt bait in the end. Stall teams have an immense amount of trouble with taunt as it is, and making the fastest member of my team completely worthless against taunt... I just couldn't see it being a good idea, despite how attractive sub was. With Ice Beam, at least I can nail Yvetal with a SE hit while it taunts, and with multiscale...

Couple of things that I'd like to point out:

1. Mega Gengar is probably the biggest threat ever to a stall team. Its combination of Taunt and Shadow Tag just completely shuts down many of the staples on a stall team. That is why the very first change I would make right off the bat is changing Eviolite Chansey to Shed Shell Blissey. EVs and Nature don't change at all if I remembered correctly. Speaking of that, if you're using Wish, you will want to give Protect a spot, cuz otherwise she'll have no reliable recovery for herself.

2. It is no doubt important for a stall team to lay down entry hazards, but it's almost equally important to get rid the ones on your side. Especially since you're using Ho-Oh which has a crippling 4x weakness to SR. After Stealth Rock, standard Geomancy Xerneas will OHKO with either Psyshock or Thunder. Lugia will also be in OHKO range of +2 Thunder and Moonblast if its Multiscale gets broken by SR. In order to better check this sweeper, I recommend these changes:
  • Running a status move and a specially defensive spread on Klefki. Klefki can survive anything from Xerneas except a +2 Hidden Power Fire under the sun. It can then cripple it with priority status. Usually the move to go is Thunder Wave (it also cripples offensive Yveltal). But, considering your Klefki has priority Light Screen which protects it from 2HKO, it is also viable to use Toxic. I think in this case the move you wanna get rid of is Foul Play or Reflect. Speaking of attacking moves, Play Rough is also an option with 8 Atk EV and Careful, allowing you to hit Yveltal for super effective damage and break a substitue from standard Geomancy Xerneas.
  • Running a physical tank Giratina-O instead of Great Wall Giratina. The spread should look something like this:
    Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb | Levitate
    Adamant Nature | 252 Atk / 248 Def / 8 SpD
    Will-O-Wisp | Shadow Force | Shadow Sneak | Dragon Tail
    Right now, Giratina is a complete set-up bait for Xerneas. With this change however, a combination of Shadow Force and Shadow Sneak will do 78.7% - 93.0% to standard Geomancy Xerneas, which is a guaranteed KO if Xerneas switches into SR and one layer of Spikes (You do have to watch out for Scarf). This Giratina-O also retains the check on Ekiller Arceus and Blaziken / Mega Blaziken. Using Defog over Will-O-Wisp is also a very good option to provide the borderline mandatory hazard support to Ho-Oh and Lugia. Shadow Sneak also gives you a way to hit back against a weakened Cloyster, dealing 40.2% - 47.7% to -1 Cloyster. FURTHERMORE, Shadow Sneak allows you to 2HKO Life Orb Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y before they can 2HKO back with Ice Beam.
It's a lot of pressure on your Giratina-O. That's why I strongly recommend Defog support. Once Rocks are up, Lugia's Multiscale gets broken, so you cannot reliably check EKiller Arceus with Lugia (+2 Shadow Claw will guarantee OHKO after SR, Extreme Speed has 37.5% chance to OHKO), leaving Giratina-O as the only check. Ho-Oh loses 50% of its HP upon switch-in to SR, making it useless as a Xerneas check.

3. Let's go back to Mega Gengar again. Not counting Chansey which is easily fixed, you have two Pokemons that are completely devastated by Mega Gengar. One is Ferrothorn. Power Whip does a meager 28.2% - 33.2% to Mega Gengar, which is a 4HKO. Mega Gengar can 2HKO with Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire. Losing your Ferrothorn is a serious matter, because it is your most reliable switch-in to offensive Kyogre. Similarly, Ferrothorn is also your only safe switch-in to Zekrom. I will not go into details here.

Another is Lugia. Despite the Speed investment, it cannot hope to out run offensive Mega Gengar. He will Taunt you, and proceed to take you out with Shadow Ball, cuz now you can't Roost or Whirlwind.

Mega Gengar is a difficult Pokemon in general to deal with for stall team, and for your Ferrothorn and Lugia, there is no perfect answer. But I will attempt to address this threat with these changes:
  • Use Psyshock as the attacking move for Lugia. It has 87.5% chance to OHKO Mega Gengar after SR and one layer of Spikes. Usually the first thing Mega Gengar does when he switches in is to use Taunt, so if you nail it with Psyshock on the turn he uses Taunt you have a very good chance of beating it. Although if you can't OHKO he will then use Destiny Bond to take you out anyway.
  • Use a Brave Nature, 0 Spe IV and Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn. This will guarantee OHKO on Mega Gengar after SR and one layer of Spikes. The idea is the same. Hit it on a predicted Taunt and you can hopefully OHKO. You can also move some EVs to Attack to secure OHKO on less demanding hazard requirements if you'd want. For example: Brave and 124 EVs on Attack will guarantee OHKO with only SR or one layer of Spikes. This might be taking too much away from bulk though, so it's your judgment call.
I think all the changes that I proposed are very minor changes. Do let me know your opinion of them.

Changes in a nutshell:
Blissey @ Shed Shell | Natural Cure
Bold Nature | 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss

- Will-O-Wisp / Defog
- Shadow Force
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail

Klefki @ Light Clay | Prankster
Calm Nature | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Spikes

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
Brave Nature | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Lugia @ Leftovers | Multiscale
Timid Nature | 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Psyshock

Last edited:

1. Mega Gengar is probably the biggest threat ever to a stall team. Its combination of Taunt and Shadow Tag just completely shuts down many of the staples on a stall team. That is why the very first change I would make right off the bat is changing Eviolite Chansey to Shed Shell Blissey. EVs and Nature don't change at all if I remembered correctly. Speaking of that, if you're using Wish, you will want to give Protect a spot, cuz otherwise she'll have no reliable recovery for herself.

2. It is no doubt important for a stall team to lay down entry hazards, but it's almost equally important to get rid the ones on your side. Especially since you're using Ho-Oh which has a crippling 4x weakness to SR. After Stealth Rock, standard Geomancy Xerneas will OHKO with either Psyshock or Thunder. Lugia will also be in OHKO range of +2 Thunder and Moonblast if its Multiscale gets broken by SR. In order to better check this sweeper, I recommend these changes:
  • Running a status move and a specially defensive spread on Klefki. Klefki can survive anything from Xerneas except a +2 Hidden Power Fire under the sun. It can then cripple it with priority status. Usually the move to go is Thunder Wave (it also cripples offensive Yveltal). But, considering your Klefki has priority Light Screen which protects it from 2HKO, it is also viable to use Toxic. I think in this case the move you wanna get rid of is Foul Play or Reflect. Speaking of attacking moves, Play Rough is also an option with 8 Atk EV and Careful, allowing you to hit Yveltal for super effective damage and break a substitue from standard Geomancy Xerneas.
  • Running a physical tank Giratina-O instead of Great Wall Giratina. The spread should look something like this:
    Right now, Giratina is a complete set-up bait for Xerneas. With this change however, a combination of Shadow Force and Shadow Sneak will do 78.7% - 93.0% to standard Geomancy Xerneas, which is a guaranteed KO if Xerneas switches into SR and one layer of Spikes (You do have to watch out for Scarf). This Giratina-O also retains the check on Ekiller Arceus and Blaziken / Mega Blaziken. Using Defog over Will-O-Wisp is also a very good option to provide the borderline mandatory hazard support to Ho-Oh and Lugia. Shadow Sneak also gives you a way to hit back against a weakened Cloyster, dealing 40.2% - 47.7% to -1 Cloyster. FURTHERMORE, Shadow Sneak allows you to 2HKO Life Orb Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y before they can 2HKO back with Ice Beam.
It's a lot of pressure on your Giratina-O. That's why I strongly recommend Defog support. Once Rocks are up, Lugia's Multiscale gets broken, so you cannot reliably check EKiller Arceus with Lugia (+2 Shadow Claw will guarantee OHKO after SR, Extreme Speed has 37.5% chance to OHKO), leaving Giratina-O as the only check. Ho-Oh loses 50% of its HP upon switch-in to SR, making it useless as a Xerneas check.

3. Let's go back to Mega Gengar again. Not counting Chansey which is easily fixed, you have two Pokemons that are completely devastated by Mega Gengar. One is Ferrothorn. Power Whip does a meager 28.2% - 33.2% to Mega Gengar, which is a 4HKO. Mega Gengar can 2HKO with Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire. Losing your Ferrothorn is a serious matter, because it is your most reliable switch-in to offensive Kyogre. Similarly, Ferrothorn is also your only safe switch-in to Zekrom. I will not go into details here.

Another is Lugia. Despite the Speed investment, it cannot hope to out run offensive Mega Gengar. He will Taunt you, and proceed to take you out with Shadow Ball, cuz now you can't Roost or Whirlwind.

Mega Gengar is a difficult Pokemon in general to deal with for stall team, and for your Ferrothorn and Lugia, there is no perfect answer. But I will attempt to address this threat with these changes:
  • Use Psyshock as the attacking move for Lugia. It has 87.5% chance to OHKO Mega Gengar after SR and one layer of Spikes. Usually the first thing Mega Gengar does when he switches in is to use Taunt, so if you nail it with Psyshock on the turn he uses Taunt you have a very good chance of beating it. Although if you can't OHKO he will then use Destiny Bond to take you out anyway.
  • Use a Brave Nature, 0 Spe IV and Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn. This will guarantee OHKO on Mega Gengar after SR and one layer of Spikes. The idea is the same. Hit it on a predicted Taunt and you can hopefully OHKO. You can also move some EVs to Attack to secure OHKO on less demanding hazard requirements if you'd want. For example: Brave and 124 EVs on Attack will guarantee OHKO with only SR or one layer of Spikes. This might be taking too much away from bulk though, so it's your judgment call.
I think all the changes that I proposed are very minor changes. Do let me know your opinion of them.

Changes in a nutshell:
I like some of these changes immediately. Sure, the loss of bulk bites (eviolite and all) but the shed shell blissey is definitely something I'll have to try out. It'd help handle mega gengar which I haven't had much of a problem with YET, but I can see how if it was well played could make my life miserable. Max sp defense blissey also sounds interesting here... (I'd have to run damage calcs first of course)

So far I've been able to nail mega gar on the switch with status (like with willo) and then wear it down a bit with seed/protect/burn before letting it die to a power whip. But IF that got goofed, odds are I'd lose at least ONE thing, and that's the problem with that blasted ghost...
I can definitely see the perks of running gyro on ferro considering the good chance of killing off gar, also nice for xern in a pinch, so more than worth looking into. (Although losing the bulk would be risky since specs ogre hits hard...)
My biggest concern when swapping to Giratina-O is the risk Ekiller poses late game (one of the biggest reasons I'm running great wall) I'll try the changes out tomorrow when I'm not more asleep than right now, and I'll try the idea out then. Then again, with Blissey, I can see it keeping Gira-O alive too so... Worth looking into anyway.

...Wait, Xerneas commonly runs sub? I've mostly seen mancy and scarf xerneas thus far. It could be I misunderstood too...

Anyway, I'll post again and make edits to the original post once I get done trying out some of the changes. (Which will be after sleep and breeding a spiritomb I needed to make months ago...)
Thanks for the insight and I'll let you know what changes I've implemented asap!

Most of this is a 'I see changes, some of which definitely have caught my attention and I want to try some/a lot of them but too tired to go into full detail right now'. I felt it was a good idea to make a note of it, and my initial thoughts.

I like some of these changes immediately. Sure, the loss of bulk bites (eviolite and all) but the shed shell blissey is definitely something I'll have to try out. It'd help handle mega gengar which I haven't had much of a problem with YET, but I can see how if it was well played could make my life miserable. Max sp defense blissey also sounds interesting here... (I'd have to run damage calcs first of course)

So far I've been able to nail mega gar on the switch with status (like with willo) and then wear it down a bit with seed/protect/burn before letting it die to a power whip. But IF that got goofed, odds are I'd lose at least ONE thing, and that's the problem with that blasted ghost...
I can definitely see the perks of running gyro on ferro considering the good chance of killing off gar, also nice for xern in a pinch, so more than worth looking into. (Although losing the bulk would be risky since specs ogre hits hard...)
My biggest concern when swapping to Giratina-O is the risk Ekiller poses late game (one of the biggest reasons I'm running great wall) I'll try the changes out tomorrow when I'm not more asleep than right now, and I'll try the idea out then. Then again, with Blissey, I can see it keeping Gira-O alive too so... Worth looking into anyway.

...Wait, Xerneas commonly runs sub? I've mostly seen mancy and scarf xerneas thus far. It could be I misunderstood too...

Anyway, I'll post again and make edits to the original post once I get done trying out some of the changes. (Which will be after sleep and breeding a spiritomb I needed to make months ago...)
Thanks for the insight and I'll let you know what changes I've implemented asap!

Most of this is a 'I see changes, some of which definitely have caught my attention and I want to try some/a lot of them but too tired to go into full detail right now'. I felt it was a good idea to make a note of it, and my initial thoughts.
Just to clarify on Xerneas: one option of Geomanxy Xerneas is to replace one coverage move for Substitute. It's weird and rare, but you can still see it occasionally.

Just to clarify on Xerneas: one option of Geomanxy Xerneas is to replace one coverage move for Substitute. It's weird and rare, but you can still see it occasionally.
Okay, THAT I can see. Guessing they would probably optimize for 101 subs and drop more into def or something.

Changes in a nutshell:
Okay, now that I'm a bit more awake, I can definitely look over and give a bit more insight.

Mega Gengar: Definitely a problem, and will always give stall teams a lot of trouble, it and mewtwo are two of the biggest reasons why I run foul play on Klefki. Sure, Mega Gar doesn't atk investment, but mega gar does have paper thin defenses and prankster means that it'll always get to set up at least a screen. After that, the best standard mega gar sets can manage with focus blast or HP fire is a 3hKO against physical defensive klefki while 4HKO against specially defensive (Another good reason to switch to specially defensive.)
Furthermore, Mega gar will want to taunt a klefki right away so it doesn't keep up setting up on it as it tries to kill. With screen up, Klefki can comfortably set up 2-3 layers of spikes without much issue and with the screen up. (Not something Gar players like to see of course) Or just go for the SE Foul Plays. Of course a lot of mega gar would hesitate on coming in on a klefki too because prankster twave is also very common.
Klefki doesn't make things easy on mega gar, especially since the poor thing has 4 move syndrome.
Of course this unfortunately puts a lot of stress on our poor keychain being such a multi task poke, making Gyroball definitely a solid argument.

Giratina: I'll definitely agree that it's setup bait for Xern right now, no disagreement from me here. All it can do is willo on the switch.
However, Xern does not appreciate the t-wave, and cannot ohko chansey/blissey with focus blast. With light screen up, it can only manage a 4hko on Chansey. And to be fair, hitting four focus blasts in a row is pretty challenging. (obviously there's a running theme there)

Blissey @ Shed Shell | Natural Cure
Bold Nature | 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
Would definitely miss the twave since it is a crucial move for the team to check xerneas and genesect. I do like the ability to escape Gengar though.

Lugia @ Leftovers | Multiscale
Timid Nature | 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Psyshock
Swapping to psyshock does give a good way to deal with Mega gar, but, it then helps leave the team more open to Yvetal. In my opinion it is a bigger threat because it commonly runs sub, foul play, sucker punch and taunt. It's also a more common problem. With ice beam and toxic, Lugia can smack it with the toxic before it can sub, absorb the first hit if it attacks first and then roost up to multiscale before it can taunt. OR toxic before the taunt, and then ice beam right after if it tries to sub on it. Either way, Lugia can then make Yvetal's life difficult.
On the plus side psyshock would also get around Xerneas' added sp defenses which could be crucial late game...

Klefki @ Light Clay | Prankster
Calm Nature | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Spikes
Erm... Taunt is already hard enough on the team as it is. If I decided to change I'd probably have to drop reflect (which hurts the defensive abilities) and add T-Wave over toxic since it helps deal with mega gar and genesect. This would make Mega Gar laugh at Klefki. ^^;

- Will-O-Wisp / Defog
- Shadow Force
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
I like, but... It does kinda make me more susceptible to Ekiller since it can't check it as reliably? Outside of Giratina, Espeed killer wrecks the team late game. Ferro/chansey/bliss can't take a brick break without a lot of pain, shadow claw comfortably (uncomfortably for me) 2HKOs Giratina O but only 3HKOs great wall giratina after the SD. (Also no passive or active direct recovery hurts...)
Now for the pros:
What I do like is the ability to deal with Cloyster a little easier, the 2hko on the Mewtwo forms, and the 2HKO on a Xerneas that left itself open to it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
Brave Nature | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Probably would want to keep the sp defensive nature, but the swap over to gyro ball is looking tempting. Harder to deal with Kyogre? Certainly. Being able to decimate a geomancing xern and hurt gar? Definitely worth trying out.

I'll have to experiment with these once done with work and breeding and let you know how they influence the team.

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple things, IMO Gira-O doesn't really need Shadow Force for your team because you have a lot of Xerneas checks; Shadow Force is important for offensive teams that don't run a direct Xern check (see some of dice's teams in the Ubers subforum) with priority moves so that Shadow Force + Priority kills. So you can run Will-O-Wisp over Shadow Force to deal with Ekiller better. You do need Defog though.

I don't really like dual screens on defensive teams because they're not really needed. The idea is to switch around to Pokemon that completely wall the opponent, not try to tank hits with screens up. They aren't really reliable because you can't ensure that Klefki will come in every 8 turns, and you would give away two free turns setting them up. I would just run the standard Play Rough | Toxic | Thunder Wave | Spikes.

Also you want 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD on Ho-Oh to ensure that +2 Thunder doesn't even OHKO, the less attack doesn't matter very much. Anyway I don't really build stall / use Lugia or Bliss and stuff so I can't really help you too much with the overall team but these are some optimizations you could make.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This team needs anti-hazard support desperately since you are running Lugia + Ho-Oh which makes running screens even more pointless. I would suggest either dropping screens as V0x suggested and get a support Arc or actually make this team hyper offense, although that would require many more changes. You also have many mons that are Ho-Oh magnets, Zekrom can move around as it pleases while threatening several mons (Ferrothorn is a good check but it's still free to Volt Switch away), and stalltwo completely shuts this team down. The priority should be getting a Defog Arceus which means you will have to drop something. I personally don't like Gira-O on stall that much but you do have Wish support, although running Wish + Heal Bell on Blissey forfeits your ability to run status. Psyshock on Lugia is a waste and so is max speed, especially when you aren't even running Sub. Power Whip on Ferrothorn is nice for defensive Kyogre but generally I like Gyro Ball more despite steel being a poor offensive type and having low PP.

Optimizing your sets and getting a support Arceus should help a bit with some of your problems so I would start with that.

If you're having issue with Ekiller Arceus, consider running Physically Defensive Yveltal over Lugia. It can comfortably tank a +2 Extreme Speed after SR and OHKO with Foul Play. If you run Sucker Punch, it's also a very good check to the Mewtwo forms (it will always OHKO offensive Mega Mewtwo Y if I remembered correctly). Or, a combination of Taunt and Toxic is also usable against opposing stall teams. But it is weak to Xerneas for sure, and it's definitely not as bulky as Lugia with Multiscale. So it's a trade off and it's up to you.

Couple things, IMO Gira-O doesn't really need Shadow Force for your team because you have a lot of Xerneas checks; Shadow Force is important for offensive teams that don't run a direct Xern check (see some of dice's teams in the Ubers subforum) with priority moves so that Shadow Force + Priority kills. So you can run Will-O-Wisp over Shadow Force to deal with Ekiller better. You do need Defog though.

I don't really like dual screens on defensive teams because they're not really needed. The idea is to switch around to Pokemon that completely wall the opponent, not try to tank hits with screens up. They aren't really reliable because you can't ensure that Klefki will come in every 8 turns, and you would give away two free turns setting them up. I would just run the standard Play Rough | Toxic | Thunder Wave | Spikes.

Also you want 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD on Ho-Oh to ensure that +2 Thunder doesn't even OHKO, the less attack doesn't matter very much. Anyway I don't really build stall / use Lugia or Bliss and stuff so I can't really help you too much with the overall team but these are some optimizations you could make.
I can see this working and I'll have to try Gira-O out with that setup. Priority always helps and defog would be useful on it (especially since Levitate...)
As to Klefki, I can see dropping reflect for T-wave, though I dunno if I'd want to lose the Foul play since it hits so many things so hard, especially in ubers.

This team needs anti-hazard support desperately since you are running Lugia + Ho-Oh which makes running screens even more pointless. I would suggest either dropping screens as V0x suggested and get a support Arc or actually make this team hyper offense, although that would require many more changes. You also have many mons that are Ho-Oh magnets, Zekrom can move around as it pleases while threatening several mons (Ferrothorn is a good check but it's still free to Volt Switch away), and stalltwo completely shuts this team down. The priority should be getting a Defog Arceus which means you will have to drop something. I personally don't like Gira-O on stall that much but you do have Wish support, although running Wish + Heal Bell on Blissey forfeits your ability to run status. Psyshock on Lugia is a waste and so is max speed, especially when you aren't even running Sub. Power Whip on Ferrothorn is nice for defensive Kyogre but generally I like Gyro Ball more despite steel being a poor offensive type and having low PP.

Optimizing your sets and getting a support Arceus should help a bit with some of your problems so I would start with that.
Which Support Arc would you suggest? (Although the idea the team is NOT to be hyper offensive so switching to that is kinda out of the picture...)
Yeah, Stalltwo is a huge problem for stall teams thanks to taunt and stupidly high speed and stuff. I've usually had to have Ho-Oh handle Stalltwo. Ho-Oh is a threat if I can't get rocks up, but with em, Lugia handles the bird pretty easily. Even Banded Brave bird is managable with Roost. If it's LO a toxic +Roost outdoes it.

Zekrom is one Poke I oddly haven't seen a lot of lately, but I usually have to just wear it down with willo/toxic/hazards/iron barbs. A layer or two or even three of spikes and rocks mean it can't switch half as much as it'd like to. Genesect kinda falls into that same boat, but can be T-waved.

I'll have to give Gyro a try though.

Lugia, mostly it was for the very fast roost+Toxic before any subs, but I'm sure I can move some EVs around to still abuse that most the time and get added bulk. The only thing I can think of in Ubers with 110 base besides Lugia is gengar and its not like speed is a huge issue for Lugia when it comes to fighting that.

If you're having issue with Ekiller Arceus, consider running Physically Defensive Yveltal over Lugia. It can comfortably tank a +2 Extreme Speed after SR and OHKO with Foul Play. If you run Sucker Punch, it's also a very good check to the Mewtwo forms (it will always OHKO offensive Mega Mewtwo Y if I remembered correctly). Or, a combination of Taunt and Toxic is also usable against opposing stall teams. But it is weak to Xerneas for sure, and it's definitely not as bulky as Lugia with Multiscale. So it's a trade off and it's up to you.
It's probably me just being mostly paranoid. But the OHKO on Mewtwo Y is tempting. I might try the fine tunes to Lugia first and see how they work out. I'll keep Yvetal in mind though. ^^

Anyway, I figured I'd try a few things first:

Giratina-O with Shadow Sneak, Defog, Willo and Dragon tail
Specially Defensive klefki with T-wave
Messing around with Lugia EVs to keep enough speed to abuse the fast roost against key threats and managing to toxic things (Yvetal for example)
Optimized Gyroball
Damage Calcs for suggested ho-oh set.

I'll try them out once things are done today and I have breather time.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What support Arc you should have depends on what you are willing to replace. For example Arceus-Ghost would give you a Mewtwo check and is a non-trappable Defogger, although it would most likely replace Gira-O. You can't really wear down Zekrom with status or Iron Barbs because only Klefki fast enough to get status on it before it Volt Switches, and even then Klefki is not going to want to stay in (you are sacking a potentially crucial mon just to Toxic a Scarf Zekrom). Iron Barbs do not affect Volt Switch. For now it seems your best way to handle Zekrom is by throwing in Ferrothorn every time Zekrom comes in to build hazard damage over time, but since you have mons that really need anti-hazard support it will likely mean you are Defogging and thus hazards on the opposing side will be gone as well. I can't think of a single thing that max speed on Lugia allows it to Toxic before a sub (Sub CM Arceus are still faster) except for opposing Lugia, but running max speed just for that is overkill. If you really are paranoid about getting Toxic on before Subs I would run a creep around 36 Speed so you are faster than most Lugia and faster than unboosted Geo Xern, although you are generally better off using Whirlwind against that anyways.

What support Arc you should have depends on what you are willing to replace. For example Arceus-Ghost would give you a Mewtwo check and is a non-trappable Defogger, although it would most likely replace Gira-O. You can't really wear down Zekrom with status or Iron Barbs because only Klefki fast enough to get status on it before it Volt Switches, and even then Klefki is not going to want to stay in (you are sacking a potentially crucial mon just to Toxic a Scarf Zekrom). Iron Barbs do not affect Volt Switch. For now it seems your best way to handle Zekrom is by throwing in Ferrothorn every time Zekrom comes in to build hazard damage over time, but since you have mons that really need anti-hazard support it will likely mean you are Defogging and thus hazards on the opposing side will be gone as well. I can't think of a single thing that max speed on Lugia allows it to Toxic before a sub (Sub CM Arceus are still faster) except for opposing Lugia, but running max speed just for that is overkill. If you really are paranoid about getting Toxic on before Subs I would run a creep around 36 Speed so you are faster than most Lugia and faster than unboosted Geo Xern, although you are generally better off using Whirlwind against that anyways.
I haven't seen too many scarf Zek's running Volt switch since I usually have run into banded Bolt Striker/outragers, but in a nutshell Scarf krom would be similar to scarf sect in being a nuisance to the team. Definitely something I have to play around very carefully right now.

As to the advice, I'm currently trying many of the suggestions, although for support arceus, I haven't touched mainly because I'm not sure what would be most important with the changes I'm trying.
I'll let you know more once I run a few battles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)