Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually wanted to comment on this idea. We already have TLS who attacks Smogon for, in their opinion, restricting the meta and removing legitimate competitive strategies because they don't like losing to them, so it would be kind of cool to have someone who attacks Smogon from the other end of the spectrum, questioning why playing pokemon at this level of competitiveness is even worthwhile.

I like it.
Wait, so you mean regular Charizards and trashy pokemon?

Wait, so you mean regular Charizards and trashy pokemon?
Not necessarily "trash" per say, but have him use either gimmicky stuff or in game stuff. For example, perhaps something like this...

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Claw
- Pain Split

SHOW ME YOUR PHYSICAL ATTACKS, AND I WILL SHOW YOU FUTILITY, MORTAL!

*edit*

If you are familiar with TCG slang, this rival would be a "Timmy", a guy who cares more about winning with style and having fun then having any sort of consistency in his W/L ratio. Things like BD Linoone and FEAR in general are classic Timmy sets.

One thing to add to this idea (great ideas, WebBowser) would be maybe you two would start off on more friendly terms when you meet, but as you grow stronger and more competitive, he starts to dislike you and your philosophy more and more. He would ask you why you only prefer some Pokémon and cruelly throw away others.

One thing to add to this idea (great ideas, WebBowser) would be maybe you two would start off on more friendly terms when you meet, but as you grow stronger and more competitive, he starts to dislike you and your philosophy more and more. He would ask you why you only prefer some Pokémon and cruelly throw away others.
Y'know, an idea occurred to me during lunch. What if we made this Rival our Ash rival? Atm, he's not really much more then an Ash cosplayer and he'll need to have a bit of character development anyway (otherwise he just becomes an unlikable nuisance, almost like the real Ash *shots fired*), so I think this would be a good direction to take for him. Besides, IIRC, even the real Ash talks about how the bonds between yourself and your pokemon can trump the actual strength of that pokemon, so it would make sense for him to start scolding the player for being "too competitive" and lacking that bond of trust between himself and his pokemon. We could even have him despair midway through the game and have him use the infamous Twitch Plays team, complete with nonsensical tactics. After his episode BSoD, he can then resolve to make a fun, gimmicky team that can stand up to more standard teams and even win sometimes(I've got a ton of ideas here, stuff like Pikachu TR, Pikachu-CB Ninjask(AKA, soon to be poor man's mega beedrill */sadface*) voltturn core, pretty much anything Verlisify makes videos about *more shots fired*), and resolve his conflict with "tryhards" like the player as he fades out into peaceful irrelevancy.

At an appointment and before I get home to wrote a few things discussion wise, did we have his second battle up yet? If we did lets tweak it a little to better reflect that idea at leastbudding.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I don't know if this was ever brought up, but given the intended nature of this game, I think that a level cap would be a very interesting idea.

Basically, the typical "Pokemon will obey you up to level x" clause would be replaced with one that prevents pokemon from leveling past level x due to your lack of experience as a trainer.

the reason that I suggest this is that the point of this version is to incorporate competitive skill into the mainstream pokemon environment. In reality (see: verlisify level 100 swampert), there is nothing that stops the player from simply grinding to a sufficient advantage for the good majority of the game.

In this case, they could train their pokemon up to an equivalent level, and then they would have to play tactfully to prevail.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I don't know if this was ever brought up, but given the intended nature of this game, I think that a level cap would be a very interesting idea.

Basically, the typical "Pokemon will obey you up to level x" clause would be replaced with one that prevents pokemon from leveling past level x due to your lack of experience as a trainer.

the reason that I suggest this is that the point of this version is to incorporate competitive skill into the mainstream pokemon environment. In reality (see: verlisify level 100 swampert), there is nothing that stops the player from simply grinding to a sufficient advantage for the good majority of the game.

In this case, they could train their pokemon up to an equivalent level, and then they would have to play tactfully to prevail.
I had brought that up some time back, but i don't remember why it was rejected. WebBowser or Salemance may know though.

God I get no damn free time now. Got to love life sometimes -_-

Right so on the level cap it didn't make sense to us initially cause it goes against the spirit of the games since we don't see a restricted cap for leveling in the games and it didn't seem useful as the idea of grinding to beat your foes becomes mute with all the stupid high levels we give to the stuff later so while an early issue, it didn't maintain as one all throughout.

Again that's how we had it as or how I recall. And again I am sorry for the delay, its a lot of life in too little time.

FINALLY AT A COMPUTER!

Building Proposal!

So I have proposed that we add the fossil reviver here (since it makes some sense with a fossil seller being at the volcano and all) and have it put in a museum here in the town. It would look similar in structure to the museum of FRLG but instead that you sorta get a Fossil petting zoo, which houses some regenerated fossils. On some exhibits like Tyrantrum and Armaldo, you will see people muttering on the fences "Oh how I wish they were viable." At the back of the zoo you will also find some scientists tinkering with their beakers and whirring machines (aptly described like that by some guy just staring at them) and are eager to take your fossils whether you want them to or not and revive em. They also do a weekly give a lottery contest so you can gain some of the other fossils after you have them revive one fossil, so you can gain some of the other mons that aren't ou viable (yet you still want em just cause ya know).

Over all a very odd place that seems to make no sense at times but still greatly loved by all.

Also I'm planning on the wrap up.........probably this weekend (Sunday maybe since my football game is a Monday Nighter) and will say I still would like a bit more discussion on some gym trainers (be them just quiz things or battles). Not a lot but just still what we need done.

And what about the name of the town? We know it's after Mt. Dogars, so it could be Dogars City, but are there better names?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
my Zarel story coming today, so stay tuned :)

EDIT:Here it is

Zarel(NOBODY TAG HIM PLEASE)
The peculiarly curious nuisance that you're, you wander into the house next to the PC(i was thinking of forcing him in but couldn't think of it, and iirc the Bill guy was never forced on us except of Kanto). Upon entering, you see an old couple and a little kid who's messing with his/her 3DS. Upon talking to:

1) Old Guy: Ah, I see you're a trainer. You must have used the PC Storage System then. You see, my son Zarel invented it. Always a bright child he was, right from his young days. And now he's with Smogon, working on some simulator of theirs, but i don't remember the name. My brain's nowhere near as sharp as his. Always busy, my Zarel, and now he lives in [insert w/e town/city] so that he can focus on his work more. Such dedication! I'm sure if you're dedicated as well, you'll achieve great feats.

2) Old Lady: Where do you think you're sneaking in without permission?!! Oh, you're a trainer. Don't be scared, don't be scared. I was just alarmed is all. Them Team LuckSack grunts have created such a threat in the whole region, one can never be too safe. Sorry for my dawdling. You must've used the PC Storage System, yes? Zarel, my son, created that, and now he's working on Smogon's official simulator, Pokemon Showdown! Isn't that amazing. But he has to live away, and i miss him and pray that those LuckSack grunts don't harm him. Please, when you meet him in [town/city], please tell him to call me. He's too obsessed with his work he hasn't even given us his contact number. Promise me you'll tell him to call me. Thank you, you're a nice person. Here, take this with you. [i dunno what to be the gift, but Exp Share/Eviolite seems the best options]

3) Kid: Hey trainer, i challenge you! Hehe, i don't have Pokemon now, but i'll become a great trainer one day. Also i'll become smart like my big brother.

That's pretty much it, though i've been considering including Zarel in a major plot in next town, where TLS want some technical help from him. That way we can get a Pokemon from him(Porygon/Eevee/Abra/Beldum). Tell me your thoughts and i'll work on it. Also Salemance we need a Badge name as well, or maybe we can use MikeDec's list. Your pick.

Last edited:
I've been lurking awhile and really like this concept of a game to teach players about competitive pokemon. If this ever gets off the ground i'm sure alot of newer and returning players will appreaciate this (I know I would Off. I had to learn the hardway by getting smashed on the OU ladder XD)

Anyway i have a proposal for an NPC and cave location within the town (Behind the gym or someething) that becomes accessable after you beat the gym leader since i feel like contributing. Basically in the cave is a female hex maniac named Naeee who is obsessed with shiny rocks and is convinced that in the cave lays the shiniest object of all time but cant actually start digging for it because she is broke and lives in constant fear of TLS. After much nonsenesical rantings about shiny objects she will agree that in return for finance you'll get a share of what she finds at a later point in the game like after TLS is beaten. Basically this is another avenue to get a megastone while maintaining gates

Naeeee Dialog
1st chat: Get away thief (Throws a rock at trainer).....Wait your not one of those Hideous TLS grunts Sorry...about...that. Have to protect my shinies. Anyway why are you here. Your not after my shiny objects to are you? No matter how cute you are you cant have them. But....perhaps you can help me. As you can see I live here and dig for more shinies but I have no money left and (nonsensical rant here) if I dont get finance I'll lose the cave. You assist me and I'll give you whatever I'm not interested in keeping. Sound fair.
If yes: Yay now get out and comeback later I'll have something nice for you then
If No: But...Shinies
If you talk to her after saying yes: Shinies. I want more shiny rocks. More and more
Apon returning to collect reward: Shinies...More Shinies. Oh hello who are you again. Ahh I remember your the cutie who bailed me out and you've done (Insert event here) to boot well I guess that means I have to keep my end of the bargin. Here's the trash i dont want. "Hands over items".
For secondary donations after first: I'm so close to the shiniest of shiny rocks i can sense it, just need a little more time. (Insert rant here) Please a little more finance, I'll give you better junk this time.
If yes: Yay now get out and comeback later I'll have something nice for you then
After the Final Defeat of TLS: Who are again. Ahh yes my financier and you defeated TLS. I can now dig for shiny rocks in peace. Shinies... You can see how shiny they are cant you? Anyway I found the shiniest of shiny rock's but I cant use it and since you've been a big help I'll give it to you so I can dig for other shiny rocks I can use. ''Hands over Diancite"
After items have been aqquired: Shinies.....must have more
Apon opening shop: Ahh its you, After seeing you defeat TLS and all 8 gym leaders i reliesed that I should stand on my own 2 feet if i wish to dig for more shinies rather then relying on donations so I've opened up shop and now I sell the stuff I dig up. Here why not take alook. I'll even give you a discount

Donation Tiers
1st 2000 + 3rd gym leader = 5 heart scales
2nd 4000 + TLS Event = Shiny Stone and 1 of each coloured shard
3rd 6000 + Capture of first legendary = Dusk Stone and 1 PP max
4th 10000 + 6th Gym leader = Moon Stone + 5 Heart scales
5th 10000 + Final Defeat of TLS = Diancite
6th All 8 gym leaders defeated = Nae opens up shop

The Cave also gets bigger everytime you go back as a result of her digging until you start encountering pokemon inside (Crobat, Ferrothorn and Extremly rare Clefairy)

Shop Prices
2000 per Stone
2500 5 Heart scale's
2500 For 4 shards (1 of each colour)
4000 PP max
12000 For Gardevoirite
12000 For Galladite
12000 For Sablyeite
12000 For Aerodactylite
12000 For Scizorite

If you comeback to the cave later. Naeee is still there digging for shinies and a few wild pokemon can now be caught (Ferrothorn, Clefairy and Crobat mostly) since the cave is now tripled in size and rare candies can be found randomly strewn about.

Anyway my first post on Smogen. I hope I've done alright

Last edited:

SparksBlade

Community Leader
hey Creator of Chaos first off welcome to Smogon, and i like that proposal. Just a few things that I think need to be changed.
1) The cost of all those things should be reduced imo, 'cos i'm not sure the player is that rich atm, and whether he/she will be willing to give away so much money not even knowing what's to get in return.
2) As i understand it, you can only pay Naeee once, and that once is your only chance to get the Mega Stone. I would make like you pay, and after some time you get the reward, and you can pay again. This way, the player will slowly get more comfortable about spending the money, expecting higher rewards.

Another change that could happen is, the Mega Stone is not given for money, but after you defeat TLS, the stone is given 'cos you've been very helpful and all, and Naeee can't use the stone at all. Otherwise i like this proposal, good work and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome Sparksblade and I'm glad to be here. As for your post. Yeah I see paying 10000 off the bat maybe a little much at this point. I'll probably adopt your idea of paying per tier and waiting abit (what do you reckon? say 1000steps growing in number with each tier in anticipation of a bigger reward) rather then all at once but still leave Diancite till after TLS.

As long as you've made atleast 1 donation prior to the final defeat TLS you can at any point in the game make the additional donations and eventually get diancite or whatever megastone this winds up being.

I'll make the edits in abit after a few more comments.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
What i was thinking was that the reward for your latest payment is available after certain events, completely un related to Naeee in every respect, in the story. Like say we've a major plot for TLS in the next-to-next town. That's an event, and can be considered as a point after which we can get our reward. I think we should have many possible events, and depending on the money paid, which reflects what we'll get, we can fix when we get the reward. As the money increases, the no. of events required also increase. Tagging WebBowser and The Pizza Man (pizza you've been inactive :p) 'cos i'm sure they'll have some inputs as well.

I was planning to continue the Competitor badge for this one yes sincerity really haven't seen any proposal that has dissuaded me from that model at all.

Also cave people hunting for shinies. I like the shiny :D

On Nae, I think that making a sort of double gate works fine. We can have the rewards gated by both money and in game events, and not give the player stuff until he meets both requirements. Those are nice items, so I don't think they should be missable. Honestly, since we have the Vs seeker and the player is going to get rich off of EV grinding eventually, I don't really care much about the exact cost.

Creator of Chaos, I actually think those prices are perfectly fine, seeing as in X, I have 8 MILLION POKÉ post-game, most of it from Le Wow, and Diancie isn't really a pre-game poke anyway.

I think we need to start thinking about where to put some legends and mega stones - accessible pre-game or post-. We already have Heatran and Entei, but there's other important OU legends that are staples on many teams. Here's an example.

Victory Tower - An old tower a little ways away from the town. This once was a beautiful tower full of trainers who would battle for the highest prizes, including the mythical Pokémon Victini, but it was blasted by the eruption of Mount Dogars and abandoned. There are three floors, on which wild Timburr and, very rarely, Gurdurr can be found. At the top, and only at a certain point in the game (after catching Entei/Heatran?), a wild Victini will appear on the top floor, knowing the moves Bolt Strike, Brick Break, V-Create, and Blue Flare.

Creator of Chaos, I actually think those prices are perfectly fine, seeing as in X, I have 8 MILLION POKÉ post-game, most of it from Le Wow, and Diancie isn't really a pre-game poke anyway.

I think we need to start thinking about where to put some legends and mega stones - accessible pre-game or post-. We already have Heatran and Entei, but there's other important OU legends that are staples on many teams. Here's an example.

Victory Tower - An old tower a little ways away from the town. This once was a beautiful tower full of trainers who would battle for the highest prizes, including the mythical Pokémon Victini, but it was blasted by the eruption of Mount Dogars and abandoned. There are three floors, on which wild Timburr and, very rarely, Gurdurr can be found. At the top, and only at a certain point in the game (after catching Entei/Heatran?), a wild Victini will appear on the top floor, knowing the moves Bolt Strike, Brick Break, V-Create, and Blue Flare.
As far as the placement of Mega Stones and legendaries go, I think we can group them up pretty nicely. For example, by gym 4 or 5 we could have a power plant containing manecite, raikou, zapdos, and a few helpful electric TMs that we haven't given the player yet.

Also, I think the shiny rock lady should become a shop after a certain point of the game. I've always disliked limiting the number of evolution items the player can have, and I think that after the whole "donation" thing is over (maybe after she gives you the dancite), she becomes a shop NPC that sells you more heart scales and shiny stones and stuff (not that she moves or anything, just gives you the option to buy more stuff).

Alright yall, its wrap up time for Dogars City!

Also made Rock Smash TM available on the route after exiting the volcano just cause I realized we needed it.

In this town are many wondrous things, such as crazy cave ladies who sell you shiny stones (more than just Diancite I would like since I think it makes sense mining for em), lava athletics and a Fighting type gym! The full description of the town's design and leader's personality can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-4.3510993/page-46#post-5791529

His puzzle also is a bit rock smashing/lava themed and his team can be seen as follows:

Breloom
Clefable
Gurdurr
Infernape (cheater)
Lucario
Lairon

He allows you to use the HM Strength out of battle and gives you the Contributor Badge and the TM Bulk Up cause he believes you are still far too wimpy to get any further. There is also a slight mention of competitive items being made accessible to be bought in the shop after beating the second gym (varying degrees of cost, sure but still made accessible) at this point. There is also a handy museum that functions as a prehistoric petting zoo and fossil reviving lottery. No one quite knows why, but it does. Science!

And then we also get our second rival battle with the Ash character who has been slightly retooled a little as can be seen in this post here (team found in hide tag): http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-4.3510993/page-50#post-5815272

Then before you leave, there is one little house all the way in the corner of the place that belongs to Zarel and which you learn who ??? on the PC is.

Links to the Proposals

Okay obviously this is a Gym Town, and as last time, I will be leaving this here so we can hammer out any final details that you guys are still unsure of before it gets finalized (names, who does what thing, etc.).

Again, nice work yall!

Last edited:
Thanks for the Input on the Shiny rock lady and I like the idea that she can eventually become a shop which would likely happen post diancite/TLS (buying heartscales sounds far more appealling then farming luvdisc. I'll also make it so you can buy random shard bundles from her for move tutors). As for the tiering the first donation should be affordable but scale's significantly after since money I find becomes easier to aqquire after the 2nd gym anyway meaning we'll need a few sinks.

Anyway here is the fixed up tiering for naeee and I'll edit the dialong and tiering in the orginal post to
Donation Tiers

The Cave also gets bigger everytime you go back as a result of her digging

Shop Prices
2000 per Stone
2500 5 Heart scale's
4000 PP max

As I said I'll edit the original post to and the dialog. Thanks again guys

Thanks for the Input on the Shiny rock lady and I like the idea that she can eventually become a shop which would likely happen post diancite/TLS (buying heartscales sounds far more appealling then farming luvdisc. I'll also make it so you can buy random shard bundles from her for move tutors). As for the tiering the first donation should be affordable but scale's significantly after since money I find becomes easier to aqquire after the 2nd gym anyway meaning we'll need a few sinks.

Anyway here is the fixed up tiering for naeee and I'll edit the dialong and tiering in the orginal post to
Donation Tiers

The Cave also gets bigger everytime you go back as a result of her digging

Shop Prices
2000 per Stone
2500 5 Heart scale's
4000 PP max

As I said I'll edit the original post to and the dialog. Thanks again guys

As I said in the wrap up, I think it would also be best for her to also sell some other mega stones as well just cause I think it could make sense for her to keep digging and finding more. Sure it wouldn't be all of them, but I think a good amount could be found there.

What other mega stones should we slap here then. Sablyite, Aerodacylite, Gardevoirite maybe. I'll put a few in to the shop and see what everyone thinks :) Thanks salamance

I'll just made changes to my original post and added mega stones to her shopping roster

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)