RU Player of the Week 5: -Tsunami-

Status
Not open for further replies.
EonX / Molk / SilentVerse / atomicllamas

Not a mod for once
Hello and welcome to Player of the Week. This thread hopes to increase the visibility of prominent RU players to the community and the outside world while promoting both users and the strategies that they find to be effective in the metagame. If there is someone you would like to see interviewed, feel free to drop me a PM.

-Tsunami-
Favorite Pokemon: Mightyena
Most known for: "saying 'lol' a lot, going 15-1 in spl and wcop, and being really lucky"
Favorite playstyle: Hyper Offense
Most used Pokemon: Sharpedo​
Leer: What got you in to RU?
Tsunami: So basically, when I first started out on Smogon I wanted to get a badge. I started off doing RMT, which after a while I still didn't get a badge for, so I moved on to C&C. After getting contributor, I wanted to get TC, and RU was the only tier having a suspect test at the time, and my friend D4RR3N challenged me to get voting reqs in it even though I hadn't played it before. At that time, there was a council system in place, and there was about 1 day left to get requirements. All of the seats required actually posting in the forum, which i didnt have time to do. the 1st seat you could get just by getting #1 on the ladder. So while I was laddering, I came across a dude on PO who was using Snover + Solosis + Duosion, so i stole that half of his team, changed the other half, got #1, and got reqs. I've continued playing ru since then. That was in stage 3 btw, also, I also took Silentverse's council seat by getting #1 since he was #1 the whole round

Leer: How did you get as good as you are?
Tsunami: At the beginning, I laddered a lot, which definitely helped. After that and currently, I pretty much only do tournaments, which really helped me get better since you're facing the highest level of opponent possible. SPL 4 in particular helped since it was my 1st real team tournament that i got to play in, and that experience definitely helped. I play a lot of tiers and don't really 'main' RU, as I consider myself more of an OU player, so that gives me more opportunities to play and practice in high level atmospheres which in turn helps me play better in RU. tournaments like SPL also helped me with teambuilding in RU for tournaments and the like.

Leer: Could you explain the concept of RU Pride to players who may not be familiar with it?
Tsunami: lol, so basically one day I got bored and decided to ladder on the RU ladder with random Pokemon. The RU ladder has been known for being 'bad' at many times of the year, so i figured that using joke teams would make laddering actually enjoyable, and this was especially true for suspect tests. RU pride involves me asking random people in the channel to pick a team of 5 garbage pokemon, who are usually NU (unless the team im using is for another tier like OU, in which theyre just in tiers below OU), or the Pokemon could be RU but just be a completely terrible set, like defensive Sharpedo for example. The 6th pokemon is always Mightyena, my favorite mon, and this generation it always has the moveset of Crunch, Sucker Punch, Fire Fang, and then one of Play Rough or Iron Tail. This really helps me enjoy laddering and obviously makes it really fun for the people watching as well since they can see garbage sets like Agility Seaking sweeping teams. I even got reqs in OU a couple times with RU pride teams, which was pretty fun.

Leer: Outside of RU pride, what parts of RU have been most enjoyable to you?
Tsunami: The main reason I have still remained in the community is definitely because of the channel, it's definitely the most active of the metagame chats ive seen, and there's definitely a lot of cool people there who have remained over the years :] you should all check it out...but yeah, other than that RUgged mountain is also pretty enjoyable to both run and play in. It also gets some people who wouldn't normally play RU to check it out so thats definitely cool.

Leer: Which RU Pokemon would say is underrated, and which would you say is overrated?
Tsunami: I'd say Sneasel is probably pretty underrated, since its coverage and amazing speed stat can definitely make it a potent threat to offensive teams. It can even run SD to actually become a devastating sweeper. I've never actually found Delphox to be that amazing so maybe I would say thats overrated, especially with how good Moltres is now.

Leer: How does XY RU compare to other XY tiers and past gens for you?
Tsunami: Atm I'd say I like BW RU better, as i feel there was a lot more diversity and definitely more innovation especially with gems...they're still similar in some ways, like in BW there was the insane Druddigon vs Druddigon speed creep, and here we have the Doublade vs. Rhyperior speed creep. Also, Alomomola continues to be my #1 most hated pokemon in both gens. I think XY RU atm is balanced though, although idk what will happen with ORAS. I still think Moltres should be suspected, but i dont think I'd want it banned atm. I like XY OU better than XY RU atm from a competitive perspective, and I think that tier is more balanced now too with a lot of diversity.I havent really played XY UU or XY NU enough, but RU seems to be a lot less matchup reliant than Ubers from what ive seen, which is good. Overall I'd say the tier is in a solid place right now.

Leer: What advice do you have for new players?
Tsunami: Just continue practicing, play on the ladder but if you want to get good then definitely play in tournaments. They're the best way to gain experience and become really good at pokemon. Visit IRC and talk in the community chan you want to get involved in, or the Showdown rooms for those channels, as those can help you learn the metagame. The Battling 101 program can also be pretty nice. For RU specifically, I'd say just play in the tournaments that we have such as minitours or RUgged mountain, and definitely go to the RU channel since as I said before, its the most active metagame chan on irc. keep playing and you'll get better, dont worry frends :]

If you have any additional questions for -Tsunami-, you can ask him!
What did you think about this week's interview? And again, if there's a player you want see interviewed, feel free to PM me.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are you most looking forward to with ORAS?
Is there a Pokemon you find yourself using on most of your teams?
Do you plan on bringing back RU Pride at some point in XY? (if you haven't already of course)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
How do you personally feel about this vote now?

Which era of BW RU was your favorite?

What do you think accounts for your weaker record in the last SPL compared to your SPL4 record, and do you plan on playing in SPL6?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what's your favorite set that you've ever used in any metagame? (serious team or not)

What are you most looking forward to with ORAS?
Is there a Pokemon you find yourself using on most of your teams?
Do you plan on bringing back RU Pride at some point in XY? (if you haven't already of course)
I haven't really been following ORAS at all, especially for RU. Seems like there's gonna be a lot of insane megas though...Megamence in OU seems like a guaranteed uber. I use Sharpedo on most of my RU offensive teams just because of how good of a cleaner it is; it can go physical, special, or mixed too which is nice. I also end up using Druddigon a lot since it's a very potent offensive threat with solid coverage and access to SR, and is pretty much my go-to SR Pokemon if I'm not using Omastar HO. And yeah, I did RU Pride yesterday and I'll do it more whenever I get bored :]

How do you personally feel about this vote now?

Which era of BW RU was your favorite?

What do you think accounts for your weaker record in the last SPL compared to your SPL4 record, and do you plan on playing in SPL6?
lol. Hey, don't blame me...I had 1 day of RU experience and I crushed everyone using tr hail so it was pretty much impossible to get a really informed opinion ;o If anything, the other 3 people who voted no ban are even more garbage bop...we banned it like 2 rounds later anyway ;o Stage 3 for that 1 day was the most fun just because of the hail team LOOOL but yeah, other than that, Stage 5 was my favorite. I used dual screens HO for the entirety of that round and it was pretty solid, and I also had to battle with SV's and Crow's Foundations team a lot (went like 0-50); that metagame had a lot of diversity and was just fun imo :] Oh, also Nidoqueen meta after that was amazing too because fuck stall. As for the last question, in SPL4 I got lucky like 3 weeks out of 10, and didn't get unlucky at all. Last SPL, I got more unlucky so it was bound to happen; most of my games both SPLs were pretty close so it was likely I would lose more of them this year. Either way, I went 2-0 in playoffs and won the trophy so I'll take it...and yeah imma crush SPL6 and retain my trophy and my scroll bop..

what's your favorite set that you've ever used in any metagame? (serious team or not)
Honestly, that NP / Protect / Copycat / Dark Pulse Liepard set you gave me is definitely really fun; I managed to make it work pretty well on a serious NP Togetic Pass team, so that's probably my favorite 'serious' set that actually works. Magic Coat Absol was also pretty cool. As for non-serious, Agility Seaking all the way.

Your favorite playstile is hyper-offensive. What do you think is a good BW2 RU offense core?
Lol I never actually really used 'cores' in BW2 RU offense for the most part. I used Aerodactyl on pretty much every offense team though since it was a very potent attacker and revenge killer that also countered Moltres. I guess the best core I used was just OTR Slowking + CB Escavalier; that can definitely wreak havoc on offense.

Am I alone in saying that linoone is a threat?
What is your second most hated mon?
Why did you pick my ru open match for your bad plays series :(

Am I alone in saying that linoone is a threat?
What is your second most hated mon?
Why did you pick my ru open match for your bad plays series :(
Linoone isn't really great unless you're playing a retard who doesn't know what it does...but it's definitely a viable and decent Pokemon that can work especially well if you're trying to counterteam or counterstyle your opponent for a tournament, since after a Belly Drum, Linoone can be a major threat to a lot of offensive teams. I don't really have a second most hated mon...basically anything you could use on stall I despise (SilentVerse ftl). And I picked your match because Zamrock's choke was too funny...

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
as an offensive player, what do you think is the best way to beat offense?

also yeah that NP liepard is funny af. Priority +2 Dark Pulse o.o

Cough

Edit:
Most overrated and underrated RU players?
Mons you would remove from the tier if you could?
Can anyone replace Double01 as the RUgged Mountain punching bag?
Player you fear the most?

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Cough

Edit:
He looked for you both times, you just need to be on IRC more zzzzzzzz.

Anyways, -Tsunami-,

Why did you decide to change your name from ShakeItUp to this?

One of the main reasons I mained RU was due to how active the IRC channel was when I first got on IRC, this was primarily due to you, do you feel inspirational?

Who would win in a fight irl, me or SV?

Are there any BL2 mons you'd like to see suspected for another shot at RU now that the tier has settled down a little more?

Do you hate Alomomola because it beats your most used mon in Sharpedo?
no, i hate it because...
<@Tsunami> amazing hp, massive wishes, regen, good typing, scald, toxic, magic coat, mirror coat, healing wish, gay as shit, walls everything, fuck stall fuck mola

fav indian food.
butter chicken + naan...look it up it's fuckin crisp

as an offensive player, what do you think is the best way to beat offense?
Well, a lot of the offense teams I use can't break stall, so that's one way to do it. Depends on what type of offense you're playing really; surprises can work out well against most types of offense. Getting a good lead matchup can be really important, since offense needs momentum to function well, so if you can take that way you'll be in a good position usually.

Cough

Edit:
Lol I have no idea who is overrated really...maybe when SPL comes around and rankings come out we can see ;o As for underrated, umm...I was gonna say Spirit but I guess he got to finals of the RU Open so not really underrated. Yeah not really sure. I would remove Alomomola from the tier because: see above. Tbh I'd say Rob. has surpassed Double01 as the punching bag, as Double01 actually managed to almost become king last time...I went like 11-0 vs. Rob last mountain with the arbok team, and I believe he's like 1-6 vs Pearl this time so Lol. I don't really fear anyone really; I would crush all these niggas like blim crushed oli in SPL. No fucks given, none of you niggas stand any chance stoppin king tsunami the pokemon god himself. Omfuga has the best record vs. me I guess, since I think I beat him like 1 time last mountain but before that he crushed me like 10 times in a row on po ladder looool. also lost to his aids shedinja natu team a couple times...ass.

Why did you decide to change your name from ShakeItUp to this?

One of the main reasons I mained RU was due to how active the IRC channel was when I first got on IRC, this was primarily due to you, do you feel inspirational?

Who would win in a fight irl, me or SV?

Are there any BL2 mons you'd like to see suspected for another shot at RU now that the tier has settled down a little more?
Uhh, when the Smogtours server got made for SPL, they would only voice you on your main nick. And I hated using the nickname ShakeItUp on Showdown...I didn't even use it on IRC so I didn't really see the point in keeping that name. Just decided to change it, dgaf if people call me shake though. Apparently there's some inactive random dude with like 1k posts with Tsunami so I was forced to use dashes. And yes, I do feel inspirational...im nothin but a god oh my lord :]]] You would win since all you would have to do is dodge SV for a couple minutes and he would give up to go play league. I'm honestly fine with everything we banned so far being gone...all of those Pokemon were cancer, especially Sableye.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What was / is your favorite version of RUgged Mountain?
Which RU player has surprised you the most (in a good way) since the start of XY, but maybe weren't around much in BW?

What was / is your favorite version of RUgged Mountain?
Which RU player has surprised you the most (in a good way) since the start of XY, but maybe weren't around much in BW?
The first one was still the best in my eyes, even thought I didn't host it. I innovated a great team and went like 60-15 or something, so that was cool :] Uh, Pearl was around in early BW, but he wasn't for a large part of it, so him I suppose :]

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Favorite core in XY RU? Ik you said you didn't really use cores in BW.

Any advice on building a good team, To a new player? To an advanced player?

Favorite core in XY RU? Ik you said you didn't really use cores in BW.

Any advice on building a good team, To a new player? To an advanced player?
Lol I still don't really use cores in XY RU ;) Unless you count like Hazard Stack Lead + Doublade, so that I guess. Teambuilding has never been my best attribute; for newer players, don't try to innovate too much since you probably won't have enough knowledge of the metagame to build a really solid team with innovation incorporated. For advanced players, make sure to know what you're building for, obviously. If it's for a tournament, study your opponents replays and try to counterstyle them and innovate...if it's just the ladder then you can use whatever because RU ladder is...yeah.

Thoughts on this replay?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-127680930
opinions on druddigon?
lol that replay never gets old. #predictiongod
druddigon is a lord...not as influential as bw but it's my main SR mon on my teams if I don't have like an Omastar lead or something. still very useful...if you SD pass to it with Gligar you sweep stall as I showed migzoo bop.

Who is the luckiest player now that you have passed your prime?

Are you gonna make Smogon Tour finals?

Am I luckier than you were during your 10-0 streak in SPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)