ORAS OU MEGA SWAMPERT RAIN TEAM

Here's a rain team for Pokemon ORAS. I need some suggestions to make this team better.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam

Lead with this if enemy team is safe of certain hazards, otherwise I go with Galvantula. Both of them give speed benefit to some or most team members. Scald and Toxic is for wearing down enemy Pokemon. Hypnosis is used during lead turn to give way for a switch. Ice beam is for coverage. EVs are for overall bulk and more on the special side.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch

Depending on the situation, I lead with Sticky Web Galvantula to cripple the enemy team's speed. He also takes care of enemy water type Pokemon who might take advantage of the rain.
The other moves are for STAB and Volt Switch to buzz out after getting the web up. EVs are a standard set for maximum speed and damage.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

This is Bulky Swords Dance Scizor. Very reliable in rain with roost and the physical bulk. Helps in absorbing Grass type damage with x4 resistance. Excellent synergy. Swords Dance to boost the not too invested Attack stat and the other moves are pretty standard.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Another standard set. Swift Swim Ludicolo for sweeping and moves have great coverage. Hydro Pump and Giga Drain for STAB with Giga Drain giving recovery for Life Orb recoil. Ice beam for coverage and Rain Dance for the speed boost.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Tailwind

This set is used to destroy grass types who might get in the way together with Ferrothorn who could wall the entire team. Moves are for STAB and Roost for recovery from recoil damage. Tailwind is another speed boosting move for the team. I know, it looks like too much. EV spread is for max bulk and attack, although I don't know why I did that.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Rain Dance

Now for the exciting part. Introducing my favorite Pokemon, Swampert-On-Steroids! My only reason of making this rain team. The EVs are utilized to give Swampy his maximum damage output and bulk. Giving Mega Swampert 152 Speed EVs is for out speeding Pokemon in rain not faster than Mega Sceptile, his arch enemy. The moves give the best coverage he can have. STAB Earthquake and Waterfall from base 150 Attack is quite strong. Ice punch for coverage and Rain Dance for setting rain when needed.

Changed my team according to the suggestions. Here's how it went.
Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 SpD
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 36 HP / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
Anything wrong here?

Last edited:
You have 2 swift swimmers and Talon, so I'd replace Galvantula with Ferrothorn and try Latias for Defog and Healing Wish to support Swampert

I would prefer to see a more offensive set on Politoad and a more defensive set on Ludicolo with Rain Dish and Leftovers.

Better yet, use a tanky Blastoise, because he gets Aqua Ring on top of that, and he can rapid spin.

I think Galvantula belongs on another team though, it's not really setting up for anybody with that sticky web, and it's only other coverage moves are done better by Ludicolo because Giga Drain.

You need strong non Fire outs to opposing Ferrothorn and Scizor, I recommend Focus Blast on Politoad.

What is Talonflame doing on this team?

Hey fixotherm, I can suggest some improvements on this team. Instead of using Talonflame, why don't you use Volcarona instead? Volcarona functions just as well in rain teams as it does in sun teams with the use of Hurricane, and it can provide some nice defense against Mega Sceptile.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

The modest nature provides extra power against enemies such as Mega Metagross, Mega Sceptile, and that 100% accurate Hurricane hits very hard after a Quiver Dance.

Also, you don't have a bulky back-up for setting up rain dance as Ludicolo doesn't cut it that well, so I suggest using Vaporeon over Ludicolo. Vaporeon is a really bulky pokemon and can stall out many threats while also maintaining an offensive presence.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Wish

Vaporeon's role as a bulky pivot can really help you against dragons and the Wish passing doesn't hurt either. Instead of putting 252 evs on HP, I put 188 at it is a leftovers number and still allows Vaporeon to get 224 HP Wish-passed.
I suggest putting Low Kick over Rain Dance on Swampert, as it severly hurts Ferrothorn switch-ins, and Swampert can safely switch out. Also, Superpower can be another option for Mega Swampert, but keep in mind that the attack loss it quite hard to deal with. One last thing, you might want to consider Choice Specs Keldeo as a replacement for Scizor, as the Hydro Pump hits very hard.

You have 2 swift swimmers and Talon, so I'd replace Galvantula with Ferrothorn and try Latias for Defog and Healing Wish to support Swampert
Hmmm... Any other suggestions for a Defog + Wish/Heal Bell member? Sorry, I don't feel like using legends xD I'm fine with Ferrothorn tho. :D

I would prefer to see a more offensive set on Politoad and a more defensive set on Ludicolo with Rain Dish and Leftovers.

Better yet, use a tanky Blastoise, because he gets Aqua Ring on top of that, and he can rapid spin.

I think Galvantula belongs on another team though, it's not really setting up for anybody with that sticky web, and it's only other coverage moves are done better by Ludicolo because Giga Drain.

You need strong non Fire outs to opposing Ferrothorn and Scizor, I recommend Focus Blast on Politoad.

What is Talonflame doing on this team?
Here's what I did with Politoed. Any other changes?
Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam

And about my Rapid Spinner, can I go Defog here? I'm not sure which mon tho, although I'm thinking of Scizor.

Hey fixotherm, I can suggest some improvements on this team. Instead of using Talonflame, why don't you use Volcarona instead? Volcarona functions just as well in rain teams as it does in sun teams with the use of Hurricane, and it can provide some nice defense against Mega Sceptile.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

The modest nature provides extra power against enemies such as Mega Metagross, Mega Sceptile, and that 100% accurate Hurricane hits very hard after a Quiver Dance.

Also, you don't have a bulky back-up for setting up rain dance as Ludicolo doesn't cut it that well, so I suggest using Vaporeon over Ludicolo. Vaporeon is a really bulky pokemon and can stall out many threats while also maintaining an offensive presence.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Wish

Vaporeon's role as a bulky pivot can really help you against dragons and the Wish passing doesn't hurt either. Instead of putting 252 evs on HP, I put 188 at it is a leftovers number and still allows Vaporeon to get 224 HP Wish-passed.
I suggest putting Low Kick over Rain Dance on Swampert, as it severly hurts Ferrothorn switch-ins, and Swampert can safely switch out. Also, Superpower can be another option for Mega Swampert, but keep in mind that the attack loss it quite hard to deal with. One last thing, you might want to consider Choice Specs Keldeo as a replacement for Scizor, as the Hydro Pump hits very hard.
I changed my team and I will try it out later. I tried the sets you gave together with Low Kick on Mega-Swampy. Aaaand, again about the legend thingy. I don't feel like using them. Sorry >.< And I kinda need Scizor for Defog.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :*

Last edited:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Wish

I concur these changes. Volcarona is complete ass in this metagame, and lacks the proper support needed to even work on this team.

Vaporeon is garbage too. It looks good on paper, but in reality, it has too competition from other bulky Water-types. This set fails to beat anything notable, except for Garchomp. And do not say it beats Keldeo, because Keldeo 2HKOs it with Secret Sword after Stealth Rock close to 95% of the time.

Mega Scizor already beats Mega Sceptile under rain, but I suggest a different spread. 248 HP / 44 Atk / 8 Def / 208 SpD with an Adamant Nature allows you to take two Focus Blast from Mega Gardevoir after Stealth Rock, and allows you to take two Earthquakes from Adamant Landorus-T, not factoring in Stealth Rock. This also gives you more immediate power. U-turn is also contradictory on this set and ruins any chance of a sweep, I would suggest replacing it with Superpower to nail Ferrothorn.

EDIT: I forgot that Swampert is taking up the Mega Slot.

There are changes I want to make, but I cannot get to them at the moment.

Scizor makes a decent Defog user, especially in rain because his only weakness is halved.

Ferrothorn is another great mon to have in rain for the same defensive reason as Scizor.

I wish Ludicolo was more defensive because his typing and move pool make him a great tank, but those defensive stats are just too low. But Lefties, Rain Dish, Leech Seed, and Giga Drain together might make for a decent enough tank considering I think his only weaknesses are flying and bug.

Perhaps not galvantula, but consider a Thunder user, that Magnezone guy seems pretty alright.

I concur these changes. Volcarona is complete ass in this metagame, and lacks the proper support needed to even work on this team.

Vaporeon is garbage too. It looks good on paper, but in reality, it has too competition from other bulky Water-types. This set fails to beat anything notable, except for Garchomp. And do not say it beats Keldeo, because Keldeo 2HKOs it with Secret Sword after Stealth Rock close to 95% of the time.

Mega Scizor already beats Mega Sceptile under rain, but I suggest a different spread. 248 HP / 44 Atk / 8 Def / 208 SpD with an Adamant Nature allows you to take two Focus Blast from Mega Gardevoir after Stealth Rock, and allows you to take two Earthquakes from Adamant Landorus-T, not factoring in Stealth Rock. This also gives you more immediate power. U-turn is also contradictory on this set and ruins any chance of a sweep, I would suggest replacing it with Superpower to nail Ferrothorn.

EDIT: I forgot that Swampert is taking up the Mega Slot.

There are changes I want to make, but I cannot get to them at the moment.
When you concur, doesn't it mean that you agree? I'm a bit confused. Sorry.
I'll wait for the changes then. :D

Scizor makes a decent Defog user, especially in rain because his only weakness is halved.

Ferrothorn is another great mon to have in rain for the same defensive reason as Scizor.

I wish Ludicolo was more defensive because his typing and move pool make him a great tank, but those defensive stats are just too low. But Lefties, Rain Dish, Leech Seed, and Giga Drain together might make for a decent enough tank considering I think his only weaknesses are flying and bug.

Perhaps not galvantula, but consider a Thunder user, that Magnezone guy seems pretty alright.
I'll try considering Tanky Ludicolo because I've never used him that way before. I'll try going for Magnezone too. Should I go Dual Screens on him? Or just pure offensive? And which should I replace?

Last edited:
When you concur, doesn't it mean that you agree? I'm a bit confused. Sorry.
I'll wait for the changes then. :D
When I concur, it means I disagree with the changes proposed.

EDIT: My first change

Talonflame is really contradictory on this team, there is no hazard control to help alleviate its Stealth Rock, and it does not like rain cutting at the power of its STAB Flare Blitz at all; it does not even benefit from rain to begin with. If you are worried about Grass-types, then I would switch your Talonflame with a Tornadus-Therian. TornT is much more fit for rain teams, having access to STAB Hurricanes, while having Regenerator to alleviate its weakness to Stealth Rock. It has issues with Sceptile, but Ludicolo already outspeeds that under rain and hammers it with Ice Beam, so that is not much of a problem.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Taunt
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hi~

I'd like to avoid using scumflame, so i replaced it with

Serperior W/ Life Orb/Contrary for the ability

Leaf Storm
Dragon Pulse
HP Fire
Glare

252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP

Also im looking for a magnezone thunder sweeping set

Oh, and i'm assuming damp rock effects drizzle?

~Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)