Halloween Party Competition

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
That's the deal I think >.> the worse thing is that if it was anything else, you could simply opt to never use it... Oh one question most common spread for sableye is special or physical (defensive duh)

That's the deal I think >.> the worse thing is that if it was anything else, you could simply opt to never use it... Oh one question most common spread for sableye is special or physical (defensive duh)
Specially defensive, in my experience from a lot of practice. Not very surprising though, as will-o-wisp + recover deals with most physical threats.

Personally, I couldn't attend because I couldn't sync my game ("Game sync code already in use" - what???). Very frustrating. I went almost to the top of the ladder on PS. For those who haven't locked their team yet, I reccomend Specially defensive CroTomb, Lum SD max speed adamant Aegislash and the Sableye set below:
- Snarl/taunt/WoW/Recover with Maranga Berry
Good luck to everyone playing!

Worker / anyone else stressing about retraining etc.

If your battle box is not locked yet you have up until the competition is over to lock your battle box and begin battling. I've done this in things like the Eevee Friendly and Battle of Legends where I wasn't planning on competing but had registered and thought why not with a few hours left. You don't need to have played your first 10 battles on the first day, and battles you have left over will be added onto the next day's total so you can always play 30 games no matter when you start. Eg: if you play 4 today then you can play 16 tomorrow to make 20 for the first 2 days...

So I would not rush, take your time, get a set you're happy with, play with it on PS! and then jump in and play 20 games on the second day
Is this 100% true? If so that makes me very happy.

Just went 8-2 on my games, 1 game I deserved to lose, the other was Quick Claw hax....

Anyways, here's some replays so you can see the strat I'm using.

BXEG-WWWW-WWWA-8JNC
P4GG-WWWW-WWWA-8JN6
QVTG-WWWW-WWWA-8JNE

Much, much, MUCH better night for day 2. 8-2, 13-7 overall, probably sitting at 1585 or so.

My team is starting to come into its own, even Gourgeist! Having a Trick Choice Band set gives me an option for shutting down CroTomb and CroEye, plus if I out-slow other Phantom Force users, I get lots of free damage with the extra punch of Band!

I take it back, Gourgeist! You don't suck after all!

By the way, if anyone knows PokeTuber Pokemonmike, could you PLEASE tell him it's pronounced GORE-geist and not GOWER-geist???

I wish there was a quick way to see your win-loss ratio but apparently the digital ID doesn't actually do this. Instead I just save all of my victories to keep track. Played today's battles too and I'm currently at 13 wins out of 20. Spiritomb is still a jerk and I've already lost Chandy twice when trying to predict Tomb's Wisp and getting a Dark pulse or shadow ball instead. Generally I'm starting to figure out what to do against other leads, though. Gengar is always sucker punch, and chandy too now that I've lost chandy two more times when trying to predict a wisp off of an opponent. Against Gourgeist I'm just gonna switch to chandy cause it will usually either leech seed or wisp, and if it phantom forces I can just use a sub, and against Aegislash I can usually taunt the swords dance and then destiny bond on the shadow claw, though I've also had one that clawed immediately so I should probably just destiny bond immediately cause I'm planning to do that anyway. My dumbest loss so far was activating a weakness policy on an Aegislash by sucker punching it even though I should've known that would hapenn. Also, that time I forgot about Spiritomb's infiltrator. Again, Spiritomb in general just pisses me off. Maybe next time if I see it lead I should just Destiny bond imediately instead of expecting a Wisp, but I also saw one with hypnosis so in that case a taunt first would be better.

WTF moment: A Gengar that was slower than my chandy. It was shiny so I guess the person just grabbed one from the event and never trained it?

Some weird things are happening to me. On day 1 it gave me the 10 battle limit message even though I only played 9 games, but on day 2 it still let me play 11 games to make up for it. Then today I got kicked off the game's internet completely (not just battle spot) right as a match started, and I know for sure it wasn't my connection. I also don't think I played a single Japanese player today when they're usually all I face during this timezone.

Anywho... I feel I've adapted well to the real Gourgeist rule now after doing pretty mediocre yesterday. Being forced to use it, at least for defensive sets, gives way too much room for opposing hard hitters like Chandelure/Gengar/Lum Aegislash to wreck everything, so I've gone the defensive route with Sableye/AV Spiritomb a lot and it seems to be working. Sableye is another that's fantastic with Gourgeist on every team since it completely shuts it down with Taunt/Recover, several of my wins so far were from getting an immediate advantage from that. Still, this metagame would have been way cooler if you could pick any 3.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately I got a bunch of plans dumped on me this weekend so I won't be able to play. :( I wish all of you Battle Spotters the best of luck.

I'm glad to see others are seeing the worth of Trick Gourgeist. It's really the best niche it has in this meta and utterly ruins Sableye not running Taunt which isn't terribly uncommon.

How are purely offensive Spiritombs (i.e. AV) faring against Destiny Bond gaming? I figured that Spiritomb would be particularly vulnerable to that but it seems people have trouble with it.

My internet has been terrible, and I've lost 7 matches due to disconnecting. That, on top of accidentally having Astonish over Phantom Force on my Gourgiest has really dampened my enthusiasm. I was really looking forward to this competition, and I made it to the top of the PS! ladder(as 'hey there') and stayed there for a while (until smash bros came out) so I was really looking forward to the real thing. Now I am sad =(. Anyway, the three I used for the ladder + Gourgiest are:
Spiritomb @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 244 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 28 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play
- Shadow Sneak
- Feint Attack

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 132 Atk / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp

Chandelure @ Kasib Berry
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball

Gourgeist-Super @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk
Level: 50
EVs: 84 HP / 236 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Phantom Force
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Chandelure outspeeds 252 spe Mega Banette by a point and curse is there mostly for filler, but also helps to kill croeye+crotomb. Gengar outspeeds 252+ spe Chandelure by a point, and Spiritomb gets as close to max HP as possible while still getting a jump point in atk and spd(counting the AV) and outspeeds most other Spiritomb. Gourgiest gets a jump point in atk and just outspeeds 252+ spe Chandelure with its scarf, which in tandem with Frisk let's me have huge options on the other team as a lead.

Glad to see mostly everyone else is doing well, though! =D

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I'm using the exact same set of thatgirl. Atm, I have 17-3 and about 1670 in rating I think. I pick Spiritomb almost every match, it is simply fantastic. What I am really having success using tho, is ScarfChandy. While Choice Gourgeist is cool, it doesn't really beat Sableye if it gets Taunted. The moment I saw Sableye in some opposing team, I knew my opp would lead with Sableye, so I lead with Chandy then clicked Overheat. And the amount of Gengars in Juniors is massive. In a common matchup Chandy vs Gar I simply get a free KO then I sweep. All teams having a mon that Chandy always murder is a great asset too. Not to mention that Tomb + Chandy synergizes well. My pumpkin is the plain and simple Leftovers set with WoW, Leech Seed, Phantom Force and SS. Can check physical Spiritomb well, tho most I see are special. There is also Banette, Weakness Policy Aegislash with Automize and SubDisable Gengar, which can definitely troll physical and special Tomb, tho I only used it once. Really cool meta. EDIT: On top of weird things today, one guy used Trick-or-Treat. Three times in a row.

So, would it surprise any of you to learn that a Shedinja in this tournament is not, in fact, a hollow husk of dead weight?

Feast your eyes: VZLW-WWWW-WWWA-877G
Doesn't somebody on Smogon have a signature that says "Weakness Policy Shedinja OP, pls nerf"? Pretty ironic, don't you think?

Anyway, I've been using Mega Banette/Scarf Chandy/Gourgeist to great success. Right now I'm at 11/2 and around 1630-50. Mega Banette usually kills 2 of the mons; one with 165 base Attack Knock Off/Shadow Sneak, and one with Destiny Bond. Then Scarf Chandelure outspeeds everything and OHKOs almost everything with Shadow Ball; what isn't OHKO'd is finished off by Gourgeist. My only gripe is this: Why is the battlefield the regular hologram one instead of an abandoned cemetery or haunted mansion or something?

I also have absolutely no idea why I'm running Substitute on Scarf Chandelure; I guess it's because there isn't a lot else to run considering I do nothing but spam Shadow Ball.

Some videos:
STKW-WWWW-WWWA-9B88: Chandelure sweeps.
EG5W-WWWW-WWWA-9BBW: Suicide Lead Froslass singlehandedly destroys the opposition.
FTDG-WWWW-WWWA-9BDW: This is why Mega Banette is awesome. Also Dark Pulse > Shadow Ball guys, we all have it wrong!

EDIT: Shortly after writing this, I lost about 8 battles in a row, mostly due to Shadow Sneak just barely missing KOs. My rating has crashed by about 100 points. Dang.

Last edited:
Alright guys, I'm calling it here. After a less-than-stellar 5-5 start, I went 8-2 yesterday. Now I've gone another 4-0, finishing by defeating a Japanese player ranked 1738. That makes my record 17-7, and I figure my rating is about 1650-1660.

This is usually the point where I want to stop, end up continuing, and crash and burn in the end. I am stopping this time.

If I had a perfectly bred Gourgeist, I'd keep going, as the Frisk Choice Band Trick set has turned out to be an excellent lead; however, I feel that the further I go up the ladder, the more those imperfect IVs will end up costing me.

I have to give props to my wife, though. She stuck it out in this competition with a Gourgeist with no EV training, terrible IVs, and the Mystery Gift moveset, as well as minimal guidance from me, and ended up going 15-15.

BTW: For those still playing, Seed Bomb is unusually potent Sableye repellent!

Well, that sucked. I suddenly started encountering Focus sash gengar leads that totally messed up my sucker punching, and Aegislash was giving me trouble as well. Speaking of sucker punch, I totally could've won that last battle if it had been a bit stronger cause it just barely isn't capable of knocking out Chandelures and it ended up being Chandelure vs my Mega Banette. In the end I won 18 battles out of 30. Yeah, I guess I kinda suck but whatever. I had fun. I'll check later to see if any of them were noteworthy enough to share the codes for if anyone's interested. This one time the trick choice band thing actually screwed me over when I was dumb enough to phantom force on a choice band gourd.

I ended up going 23-7. Was pretty bummed out about having to use Gourgeist since I had practiced on showdown and had a really solid strategy before hand. Threw all that out the window. Though CB Gourgeist did come in the clutch for me a few times so it wasn't all bad. Had some frustrating crit losses but that's life.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
26-4, I am sastified considering one of these losses were a disconnect. I'm probably around 1752~ and had great fun, later I will look for replays.

Fell victim to Nintendo's Gourgeist trick, but still ended up doing OK. Much better than last time in the Fairy Face-Off.

Blown away by some of the creativity I saw including Harvest Trevenant (Horn Leech, Protect, Leech Seed, ?) and Eviolite Dusclops (Will-O-Wisp, Dark Pulse, Rest, ?).

Found calm minding Sableye/Spiritomb to be particularly annoying...

Well today 2 people disconnected during the team selection so I didn't get to do those battles for some reason. Today I didn't terrible going 2-6 so that makes 20-8 I ended around 1660-1670ish. I surprisingly did pretty well considering I had a Gourgiest that was caught in the wild. My CroTomb + Mixied Resto Chesto Aegislash were definitely the MVPs.

Wow... Even though I managed to get to the top of the PS Ladder, the Gourgeist-Joke brought me down to 25-5... Not so bad but still pretty disapointing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)