Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Pic of the day. At long last, the Wii U version supports eight-player multiplayer!! It gets pretty hectic watching eight people duke it out at once. For more details, check out "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 50-Fact Extravaganza" (“Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 50 Must-See Things”).

For Americas:
For Europe: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html
For Oceania: http://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendodirect

(Comment)

And here's a stage prepared for a large number of fighters, Big Battlefield!! Fighters can spread out, so it should be easier battling on a stage like this.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I am fairly happy with the info we got last night. Up to 8 man smash is ridiculous, and basically soft confirms Ice Climbers for me. If you can handle that lot going on, surely the IC's are not a step too far? WiiU version has everything I expected to be in here like the Stage builder (which looks immense by the way). Shame there is no mention of proper Target Test or a return of Board the Platforms :( I really fucking hate Target Blast, it's not a good idea at all imo. TT before was all skill and a little bit of luck, Blast is nearly all luck and hardly any skill. Sucks :(

Mewtwo is pretty cool, but I never liked him in Melee anyway. It's just nice to have a new character. I like the music album I am going to get for free too :)

I'll probably watch the direct again later and make a bigger post about some of the points, but as it stands I am very happy.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I am fairly happy with the info we got last night. Up to 8 man smash is ridiculous, and basically soft confirms Ice Climbers for me. If you can handle that lot going on, surely the IC's are not a step too far? WiiU version has everything I expected to be in here like the Stage builder (which looks immense by the way). Shame there is no mention of proper Target Test or a return of Board the Platforms :( I really fucking hate Target Blast, it's not a good idea at all imo. TT before was all skill and a little bit of luck, Blast is nearly all luck and hardly any skill. Sucks :(

Mewtwo is pretty cool, but I never liked him in Melee anyway. It's just nice to have a new character. I like the music album I am going to get for free too :)

I'll probably watch the direct again later and make a bigger post about some of the points, but as it stands I am very happy.
Sakurai confirmed no characters will be exclusive to one copy of the game. The 3DS can't handle IC, so while the Wii U is more than capable, it's still not going to happen.

Unless they have Popo and Nana as separate characters, clones of each other :p

Sakurai confirmed no characters will be exclusive to one copy of the game. The 3DS can't handle IC, so while the Wii U is more than capable, it's still not going to happen.

Unless they have Popo and Nana as separate characters, clones of each other :p
They could technically do that. In the classic game you only used 1 at a time, but it would take a lot of demand and be really pushing it.

On second thought, would the New 3DS be able to support them?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
They could technically do that. In the classic game you only used 1 at a time, but it would take a lot of demand and be really pushing it.

On second thought, would the New 3DS be able to support them?
It would severely restrict the accessibility of the characters, so I highly doubt that they would make them New 3DS exclusive.

Especially because they would have to release a new version of the game for the new system.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Still haven't watched the full direct yet, but I did want to talk about some things I found interesting:
  • 8-Player Smash: Omg, this will be amazing. I'll be trying this the day it comes out since I'm going to a convention the day this game comes out and that is one of the biggest issues I have always had for Smash at large settings. Can't wait to have some fun with this. As hectic as I"m sure it will be, there's also going to be some hilarious moments from it I"m sure.
  • Mewtwo: So yeah, this made a lot of people happy. I can't say I'm overly thrilled since I greatly prefer Lucario's playstyle to Mewtwo's, but I am looking forward to seeing how they update him from Melee. This also opens the door to Roy imo. We already have two characters that were in Melee, but cut from Brawl in Smash 4 (Dr. Mario and now Mewtwo) and Roy isn't an alt of Marth's, so it's entirely possible. Wolf also has a shot, but considering his side special from Brawl is now one of Fox's custom specials (and Fox has an alt skin that looks just like Wolf) doesn't help his case. That said, it still says Fox in the selection screen when you choose that "Wolf" skin, so there's still a shot. Lucas likely won't make it. All of his specials are now Ness's custom specials...
  • Special Smash: Really glad this is back as a full mode rather than just being confined to the Final Battle in Smash Run. Seems like it will be as chaotic as ever.
  • Smash Tour: Is it me, or is this very similar to Fortune Street? Idk how many of you have played that game before, but it feels very similar to that, especially with the different "suits" it looks like you'll have to pick up. In Fortune Street, gathering all 4 suits and heading back to the "Bank" would let you level up. So maybe getting all 4 of the suits here will give you a stat buff or something? Either way, it looks pretty fun and seems like a neat way to get used to different characters.
  • Bowser Jr. / Koopalings Trailer: Well, at least now we know why we didn't get this trailer before the 3DS release. It would've revealed 8-Player Smash for the Wii U Version! Anyway, the trailer was absolutely amazing. People are saying we'll get a Dark Pit trailer as well, but he was kinda confirmed in the Palutena trailer, so I kinda doubt we'll get one for him. After the Bowser Jr. Trailer though, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Duck Hunt trailer.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As of yet, there doesn't seem to be any mention of an actual adventure mode. Actually enjoyed playing through the subspace emissary with all the characters even though there were a couple meh levels. Heres to hoping that it just wasn't revealed yet.

Last edited:

he was dere da whole time (megaman trailer)
"he" being... a shrub? I don't get what you're trying to say here
As of yet, there doesn't seem to be any mention of an actual adventure mode. Actually enjoyed playing through the subspace emissary with all the characters even though there were a couple meh levels. Heres to hoping that it just wasn't revealed yet.
Pretty sure Sakurai has outright stated there won't be any such thing in Sm4sh

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some other things that I didn't talk about:
  • Online Tournaments: This is really, really cool. They basically gave it the Mario Kart 8 treatment in that respect, and I really like that. I just hope that the connection for online tournaments in Smash is more stable than it is for MK8.
  • Shulk: One thing I noticed was that the Monado Power you're currently using will also show up next to his character portrait during the match. Kind of a neat touch that should make it easier to know which power you're using if you're new to using Shulk or just aren't sure of the color. Also, whoever did footage for the direct really, really loved Shulk. He was in the vast majority of the gameplay footage that was used, which I felt was kinda cool. Shulk's a really solid character once you get used to him, but I feel a lot of people give up on him because of the Monado Power reliance he has to get the most out of him.
  • Ridley: A lot of people got their hearts broken, but idk why people were expecting more. Sakurai teased Ridley as a stage boss in April and that's exactly what Ridley is. Although I will admit that Sakurai trolls the hell out of everyone again by allowing you to actually KO Ridley and earn a point for it (unlike with the Flying Men) Underestimate Sakurai's trolling power at your own risk.
  • Staying on with the stage bosses, Metal Face looks annoying as hell. Takes up a large amount of space, breaks apart the stage, though he can be KOed. Even though he can be KOed, it's never explicitly said whether or not this will add to your KO total in Time matches or not. I would imagine so, but there really isn't a set pattern with the stage bosses thus far.
  • The stage selection. Omg the stage selection is enormous. 40+ already and there's still a month to reveal some more along with possibly a few more for 8-Player Smash. By extension, this is going to make the Music library absolutely massive. Wouldn't be surprised to see 150+ songs in the library.
  • Not related to the direct, but I find it really cool in the first pic of the day from yesterday showed 8-Player Smash with the Original 8 available to you in Smash 64. Just goes to show how far the series has come over 15 years. And to make it even better, their order at the bottom with the damage percentage is the exact order from the character selection screen in Smash 64. I know waaaay too much about Smash 64.... I'll stop now. Also, I believe that the 2nd pic uses 8 newcomers to the series, but in no particular order.

Pic of the day. The color variations for Shulk are all based off outfit colors of his travel companions…excluding one of them. Lucina's color variations are also based off the female characters in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)