CAP 19 CaP 19 - Part 12 Flavour Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Shamelessly stolen from Paintseagull :)

The playtest has started, and now we need to finalize the last flavour details for the CAP - those that will have absolutely no bearing on how it plays/is playing on PS! Still, these details will bring Plasmanta together as a believable Pokemon, so contributions and good discussion are still very needed. This ability should have little significance competitively, and should be all about what makes sense on the Pokemon.

The following abilities are banned from this discussion:

Air Lock
Aura Break
Bad Dreams
Color Change
Dark Aura
Defeatist
Fairy Aura
Forecast
Fur Coat
Huge Power
Illusion
Imposter
Moody
Multitype
Parental Bond
Protean
Pure Power
Shadow Tag
Slow Start
Stance Change
Teravolt
Truant
Turboblaze
Victory Star
Wonder Guard
Zen Mode

Arena Trap
Drizzle
Drought
Magic Bounce
Magic Guard
Prankster
Sand Stream
Snow Warning
Speed Boost​

If you are curious as to why these abilities are banned, check out this thread to learn more. Remember, the ability we choose here is an Ineffective Ability, meaning that it should be inferior to both Storm Drain and Vital Spirit (Plasmanta's competitive abilities).

There's no official leader for this discussion, but please look to the mods/project leaders in general for guidance and judgement calls on what counts as ineffective. (But if you're not sure if an ability is ineffective or not, err on the side of caution - it probably is inappropriate.)

----------------

Name: Plasmanta

Art:

Sprites:

Concept:
Yilx said:
Name: Einherjar ~Acta Est Fabula~

Description: A Pokemon that dissuades your opponent from fainting it, or can even leave it's presence on the field felt even after it faints.

Justification: When a Pokemon faints, it's usually thought of as the battle having gotten down to a 5-6. However, we've yet to discover if a Pokemon can leave a lasting impression on the battle even after having fainted; be it through moves like Healing Wish and Destiny Bond, placing hazards that the opponent can't remove as their removal has been taken care of, or by leaving an opponent's key member weakened and/or taken out.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • How can a Pokemon leave a long-lasting effect on the rest of the battle with just it's moves?
  • How the hell is it different from simply ramming a sacrificial martyr into your opponent's team and hoping it punches holes in it?
  • Building on the previous question, is it possible to build this Pokemon as a defensive threat rather than a "Glass Cannon"?
  • Is it even possible for a Pokemon to leave a lasting effect on on the battle, even after it faints?
  • Could changing your opponent's way of thinking even be plausible? From, "I need to take CAP X out!", to, "Damn, if I take CAP X out, I'll be in trouble...!"
Type: Electric/Poison
Abilities: Storm Drain / Vital Spirit
Stats: 60 HP / 57 Atk / 119 Def / 131 SpA / 98 SpD / 100 Spe
Movepool:
Final Submission
Level Up Moves (3-3-4 pattern up to Lv 29, 4-5-4-5 pattern after Lv 29)
-- Poison Sting
-- Thunder Shock
-- Supersonic
06 Poison Sting –R-
06 Thunder Shock –R-
09 Supersonic –R-
12 Acid
16 Encore *
19 Thunder Wave *
22 Clear Smog *
26 Ion Deluge
29 Poison Tail
33 Aqua Tail *
38 Parabolic Charge
42 Psywave
47 Discharge
51 Cross Poison *
56 Swagger
60 Thunder *
64 Eerie Impulse
Egg Moves (Water 1 / Water 2 )

Haze *
Signal Beam *
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse

(As a side note, all of these moves can be obtained through breeding with either Mantine or Gyarados, though some obviously can come from multiple sources.)
TMs/HMs
TM03: Psyshock *
TM06: Toxic *
TM09: Venoshock
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt *
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect *
TM18: Rain Dance *
TM21: Frustration *
TM24: Thunderbolt *
TM25: Thunder * -R-
TM27: Return *
TM29: Psychic *
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave *
TM36: Sludge Bomb *
TM42: Façade *
TM44: Rest *
TM45: Attract
TM48: Round
TM68: Giga Impact
TM73: Thunder Wave * -R-
TM87: Swagger –R-
TM88: Sleep Talk *
TM90: Substitute *
TM91: Flash Cannon *
TM93: Wild Charge *
TM99: Dazzling Gleam *
TM100: Confide
HM01: Cut

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
What about Poison Point or Static? They're both rather weak and they're more flavorful than Illuminate imo

Primordial Sea

Wonder Skin is a flavorful one.
The first thing I thought when I saw Plasmanta was that it probably looks really slick and shiny if it ever surfaced/raised up from the sea.
Accuracy modifiers aren't allowed, so there's that, too.

I like the thought of something involving the spots on its back, so I like Illuminate.

Klutz because it doesn't have hands :/

I believe Poison Touch could easily fit Plasmanta, since this particular sting ray could be aggressive, but doesn't have the physical power to demonstrate it, and most contact moves are physical. I mean, it has a stinger, so why not?

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What about Water Veil? Not only does a burn-immunity fit a giant ray flavour-wise, it also isn't appealing enough to dethrone Storm Drain. I realize that Plasmanta is Electric / Poison and that Water Veil doesn't fit directly, but it's still a sea-inhabiting creature, much in the same way Wailord is, who also gets this ability.

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes! Great to see this up.

Please keep in mind what I said during Volkraken's Flavor Ability Discussion. Just because the ability is flavorful doesn't mean it has to be totally worthless.

Water Veil sounds like a great one, so I agree with The Avalanches on that. It's good flavor for a water-dwelling Pokémon. Damp and Hydration also work for an aquatic mon.

Poison Point is a common token ability on Poison-types, and it looks like Plasmanta could definitely poison its attackers with its spikes/stinger. In a similar vein, by being an Electric-type, Static appears reasonable.

Though I don't know if Volt Absorb is too good, it works because Plasmanta uses its tesla rods to draw in electricity, and it can already switch into electric moves effectively without the possible aid of Volt Absorb. The only other Electric-related abilities I could think of that are not powerful are Plus and Minus, so… /me sheds a tear

Maybe Sniper? The venom in Plasmanta's stinger would cause an attack from it to inflict some pretty excruciating pain depending on how it hits. Integer Mova's suggestion of Poison Touch follows this as well.

The last thing I could think of is Unnerve, as I can see Plasmanta frightening its foes with its false eyes.

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like everything that's been posted so far, especially Illuminate, Poison Point, Unnerve, and Static. Inner Focus and Steadfast tie into Plasmanta's calm appearance, while Telepathy shows the Psychic-y feel of the design and movepool. Pressure would work with its deep-sea habitat (Wailmer, Wailord, Volkraken) and intimidating size on par with legendaries.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Yes! Great to see this up.

Please keep in mind what I said during Volkraken's Flavor Ability Discussion. Just because the ability is flavorful doesn't mean it has to be totally worthless.

Water Veil sounds like a great one, so I agree with The Avalanches on that. It's good flavor for a water-dwelling Pokémon. Damp and Hydration also work for an aquatic mon.

Poison Point is a common token ability on Poison-types, and it looks like Plasmanta could definitely poison its attackers with its spikes/stinger. In a similar vein, by being an Electric-type, Static appears reasonable.

Though I don't know if Volt Absorb is too good, it works because Plasmanta uses its tesla rods to draw in electricity, and it can already switch into electric moves effectively without the possible aid of Volt Absorb. The only other Electric-related abilities I could think of that are not powerful are Plus and Minus, so… /me sheds a tear

Maybe Sniper? The venom in Plasmanta's stinger would cause an attack from it to inflict some pretty excruciating pain depending on how it hits. Integer Mova's suggestion of Poison Touch follows this as well.

The last thing I could think of is Unnerve, as I can see Plasmanta frightening its foes with its false eyes.
There Ebola Strands, not Tesla rods, but in all seriousness I agree on all of these but Volt Absorb, Volt Absorb is just to powerful for a flavor ability

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I personally like Water Veil and Poison Touch. They both have appropriate flavor with minimal competitive use. Things like Static and Poison Point, which have been suggested by others, just seem too likely to be useful (Static in particular might see some actual use).

Telepathy is another great option IMO, as it's positively useless in singles but provides great flavor regarding our psychic type moves. Seriously, this might be my favorite one so far, as currently there isn't a ton of flavor explaining why Plasmanta has psywave/psyshock/psychic.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Honey Gather because flavor ability

Honestly, Illuminate and Water Veil seem like the best option for this. My only problem with Illuminate is that we've already given it to an existing CAP. It's no real problem, but come on, there are other completely useless abilities. Water Veil fits the whole sea creature type of jam, but it might make Vital Spirit also seem like another flavor ability.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Everyone pretty much said all the flavor Abilities that'll make sense for Plasmanta to have that has little competitive use. I'll just list my favorites:

1. Illuminate (because it's bioluminescent)
2. Poison Touch (I imagine the main way it attacks is by stinging opponents with its stingers)
3. Poison Point (or it can use its stingers as a defense mechanism for anyone dumb enough to attack it physically)
4. Static (either that or the fool would paralyze themselves being its an Electric-type (that's also underwater))
5. Water Veil (standard marine Pokemon ability)
6. Volt Absorb (standard Electric-type Pokemon ability. I also thought about Motor Drive but I don't think Speed it a priority for it)

Now, I just thought of one thatis pretty useless: Poison heal. Due to typing, it can't be poisoned, so it is useless. You could chuck toxic boost in there too.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I'm biased towards Insomnia - which I preferred over Vital Spirit anyway xD

Outside of my derping though, Poison Point and Illuminate stand out as being sensible options.

Insomnia seems fine. It's literally a clone of Vital Spirit, and it wouldn't be the first time a Pokémon received a clone/toned-down ability (Reuniclus's Overcoat in Gen V). I also like the name better.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Honey Gather because flavor ability

Honestly, Illuminate and Water Veil seem like the best option for this. My only problem with Illuminate is that we've already given it to two existing CAPs (Mollux and Volkraken). It's no real problem, but come on, there are other completely useless abilities. Water Veil fits the whole sea creature type of jam, but it might make Vital Spirit also seem like another flavor ability.
Volkraken has Pressure, not Illuminate

Liquid Ooze seems like an interesting flavor ability. I'd imagine that it has to be carrying around tons of Poison in its gargantuan body, and against most of the Pokemon Liquid Ooze would work against, Vital Spirit would be better.

I really like Poison Point and Poison Touch.
Illuminate
could work really well, but I think it's just too obvious, and has been used in previous CAPs.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Honestly, I think Guts is a perfect flavor ability for Plasmanta. Plasmanta seems really "squishy" (i.e. has guts), and its red eyes and whip-like tail imply that it can get angry when weakened. Also, Guts is extremely useless for a special attacker.

I think Aftermath would be a nice choice. It matches flavor (other Poison Pokémon also have Aftermath) and it could fulfill a niche of the concept, but will be mostly useless in comparsion to its other two abilities. Static, however, would be too strong and therefore don't think this would be a good idea. Another flavorwise possibilities include Sticky Hold, Suction Cups, Anger Point and Anticipation (while the latter is questionable, because it could be used for detecting Earthquake).

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So to give this a little direction:

Static will not be slated regardless of who brings up points. It is way too good to be a flavour ability. The same will be said of Volt Absorb. Both of these are not flavour abilities in regards to this CaP.

@Above most of the abilities you mention are also far too good outside of Anger Point (and possibly Sticky Hold).

I'm looking more towards the likes of Poison Touch/Illuminate/Liquid Ooze/Unnerve.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really don't want us to just slap Illuminate on it and just call it a day. Sure, it's the most useless of useless abilities, but it feels so uninspired to me.

I do like Telepathy quite a lot, it's a bit more related to Plasmanta's Psychic-type coverage, and it's useless in singles.

Damp is appealing and makes flavour-sense, the fact that it prevents Explosion isn't too suspect.

Inner Focus is appealing. Our ray looks pretty intent on zapping ponies and rabbits, and nothing will break its focus.

I'm going to suggest Keen Eye as well, it's a bit less relevant on a marine animal, as it mostly belongs to birds, but for the same reason as Inner Focus, it makes some flavour-sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)