2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Terrible performance by the Barcelona players, especially Messi and Suarez. Madrid were quick and clinical, Benzema, Marcelo, Isco and Ronaldo had a really good game tonight. Barcelona were also hilariously wasteful with their corners and left themselves wide open to counter attacks time and again. lol at those who say that Messi's better than Ronaldo; he's so much easier to stop.

Reactions: pj
normally i laugh at teams who sack managers after 6 games but at this point i just really wish we'd sacked hyypia after that amount of time. we've won two games all season, and both were in august i'm pretty sure. brighton play tottenham on wednesday and bournemouth (who won 8-0 today) away on saturday. i'm scared.

chelsea probably gonna win tomorrow but i feel like united at old trafford are still a force to be reckoned with, no matter how inconsistent they've been

ronaldo messed up so many would-be counter attacks... he failed to make the final pass at least 3 times (which would've most likely lead to goals). benzema and isco were great. kroos, modric and james were relatively quiet but also played solid football.

i can't say the same for barca. busquets in particular had an awful game. he made multiple mistakes passing the ball, he was very inaccurate. iniesta played a bad game as well, he gifted madrid a goal because of his lack of communication with masch, and to top it off he got injured.

i think suarez played well considering his first match after 4 months of no club football was against madrid. he had a nice assist to neymar. but i still think luis enrique needs to make some changes in regards to formation. idk how effective suarez is on the wing. i never really watched him at liverpool. but he needs to play as a more traditional #9.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
so how many managers are leeds going to sack this season?
hopefully no more. neil redfearn is a legend and i'd like to see him a part of the club for a long time, even if he gets laid off as manager by cellino his role in the juniors has been class.

knew it was coming, no win in 6 and an absolute nutter in charge. thought milanic was unlucky though. we outplayed rotherham and got beat by a random long range goal, we outplayed wolves in the first half and just didnt score enough. then they hit back with two goals which would make you smash your controller if they happened on fifa. we're a better side than our league position lets on but i can't help but thinking this is just another year of consolation (hopefully nothing less)

this might sound biased because im brazilian, but i think neymar has been barcelona's best player this season. not only he is their top scorer, today he might have been the best barcelona player. rarely lost the ball, made good runs, created some chances and was clinical on its first goal chance (unlike messi!), though real madrid's (incredible) defense eventually outlasted him. i understand messi is still the more proven player and without him neymar wouldn't have like 2/3 of his goals, but i hope people will fathom the true potential of neymar now instead of thinking he's just an overrated brazilian choker. definitely a potential best of the world.

as for madrid, god damn. their counter attack is INSANE, and they aren't even using bale. but they are also very tatically diverse, being able to play really well on and off the ball. i thought real madrid actually weakened itself on the transfer window, because of my skeptcism towards kroos and james. i thought the first was just a normal german cm, but god this guy's both short and long passing is legendary, i think he's only behind pirlo in vision/passing; his cross to pepe... holy shit. as for james, i only saw him as a potentially good player in the future, much like, say, lucas and thought he had a lucky world cup and was being even more questionable after his first games in la liga, but i was incredibly wrong. james is already indeed a proven world class player with his flair, ball control and playmaking.

as for chelsea, i hope they win but this will a tough game. even though man utd are still in a rebuilding proccess they're very strong at home and chelsea won't have diego costa and remy, and drogba, though a top scorer in derbies, has a very advanced age and might not be able to play the full game. im predicting a 2-2 draw

That second half display from Real was out of this world. Pressed and Controlled the game.
The MOM was Ancelotti. since taking over he has really made a great team. I mean take about the perfect man for the job.
Him, mourinho and Pep are the best managers for me. Simeone is between them and the next tier of managers.

Busquets had a shocker of a second half. Clearly wasn't fully fit and it showed. i felt bad for mascherano who basically had to Cover for the rest of the defence and should have played in midfield instead of the busquets.
Xavi is past it and iniesta has been really poor barring a couple of games.
it's really baffling as to why sergi roberto was chosen ahead of rafinha.

Messi had a bad game but so did most of the team.
Enrique now needs to learn from this game as well as that PSG game.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
A few Barcelona players were poor, but I think Luis Enrique is to blame too, yet another game in which he shows he's a poor tactician. It was hard to know what Barcelona's gameplan was because Messi was invisible, they passed the ball aimlessly in general, and looked like trying a counterattacking approach but weren't direct when they gained the ball back. That has been seen in some Barcelona games, and also in Celta last season, it looks like Luis Enrique tries to mix possession football with a counterattacking approach (which doesn't look like a bad idea), but ends up doing it wrong as they just don't have directness.

It really doesn't make sense to start Xavi in this game, even if he had been playing well recently it was not the game for him, he just doesn't have the stamina anymore and it shows. Rakitic didn't do much when he entered either, but at that point they had lost the game pretty much. Busquets was awful as per usual, he has been like that for the last year and a half. Quite surprising that he manages to retain his position in Barcelona and Spain's national side.

Ronaldo had a mediocre game, Benzema was great (as always) and this will shut up his (stupid) haters for at least 2 months. Isco and James were great and to the people who say Madrid would have scored more if Bale had played, I'm not sure. Maybe if he had come on as a substitute when the game was 3-1 that would be true, but starting both Isco and James would have been the best decision even if Bale was fit.

Last edited:

HBK

DROGBAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! THE KING IS HERE!!!!!! ROLLING THE FUCKING YEARS BACK, GET INNNNNNNN!

RVP :D
deserved that point given Chelsea did naff all until the Goal.
has Fabregas escaped from Fellainis pocket yet?

HBK

A draw still isn't a bad result for us, considering that City lost yesterday. We were really unlucky to have not won 2 penalties though (Rojo on Terry and Smalling on Ivanovic). And Hazard really should've scored. Disappointing performance from him. Courtois is the man of the match for me.

Not only does nobody want the title, but nobody even wants 4th place! CL is where all the action is at this year.

Also all the boo boys for Allardyce and Pardew have gone quiet now, I'm happy for them esp. Allardyce - great signings and now a much improved team!

shade

be sharp, say nowt
right

and yeah, 4 points dropped in manchester due to ivanovic, ugh
don't know why you don't think man u were good value for a point. i thought they had more clear cut chances than your mob in the first half and probably should've found the net earlier. draw was fair.

HBK

don't know why you don't think man u were good value for a point. i thought they had more clear cut chances than your mob in the first half and probably should've found the net earlier. draw was fair.
We deserved two penalties. As for the free kick from which they scored, Ivanovic stumbled and Di Maria made the most of it by going down too easily. Are you really a Leeds fan?

don't deserve any Penalties, and there were no Penalties to be earned.
if you stumble and bring the man down, it is still a foul. like those stupid point blank handballs in the middle of the park that get given because the other players kicks it against it.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
don't deserve any Penalties, and there were no Penalties to be earned.
if you stumble and bring the man down, it is still a foul. like those stupid point blank handballs in the middle of the park that get given because the other players kicks it against it.
nope those situations are not analogous at all.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
We deserved two penalties. As for the free kick from which they scored, Ivanovic stumbled and Di Maria made the most of it by going down too easily. Are you really a Leeds fan?
yeah course i am a leeds fan, doesn't mean i blindly think scum deserve to lose every game even though i'd like them to

sure, there was a penalty shout that shouldve been given. however, on the basis of play i thought man u created more chances are were good value for a point. the free kick at the end was a free kick 100 times out of 100, doesn't matter if ivanovic didn't do it on purpose - he should be more careful when taking on one of the best wingers in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)