XY Ubers Mexican Xerneas (peaked #1)

Hi, I wanted to post one more XY Ubers RMT with ORAS and its ridiculously borked new threats closing in. Whereas my last team was a solid balanced team that had a solid counter or two for every relevant threat in the metagame, this team is more fragile and relies greatly on offensive pressure to defeat certain threats, particularly offensive Fairy-types. However, the combination of Fake Out Kangaskhan and Silk Scarf EKiller make threats like Geomancy Xerneas more manageable than they are on paper. Because casual players are generally very weak to Refresh Extremekiller and my Xerneas variant, this team has had significant success on the ladder. I went 49-7 with it while peaking the ladder (and posted in the reqs thread as proof, too lazy to dig up the screenshot now), and Tennisace and TalkTakesTime also made reqs with this team. Although I feel my balance team is arguably more suited for tournament play -- so long Dialga is used over Stunfisk of course! -- this team still went 2-0 in Ubers Open, including KratosMana's win over Level 56.

Teambuilding process:

The team was built around offensive Leftovers Xerneas. Typically when players see a Xerneas steadily recover health with Leftovers, they will assume a defensive resttalk set. I wanted to take advantage of that by putting multiple lure moves to wreck common switchins. The first move is Hidden Power Fire. Scizor and Ferrothorn are easily 2HKOed by this move and Xerneas easily invites both of them. The second move is Thunder Wave, which baits support Arceus who think they can come in and remove rocks for free and cripples them with paralysis. The reason I chose Thunder Wave over Toxic is simple: this team cannot afford to let opposing Geomancy Xerneas set up for free. It's not hard to see why Extremekiller Arceus can benefit from Xerneas's ability to lure Steel-types and destroy Giratina formes; in fact, I used Mega Kangaskhan on this team as well to further take advantage of this Xerneas. Kangaskhan and EKiller also do a good job of wearing down each other's checks, though the deadly SD Arceus Ground is still my favorite Arceus to pair with Kanga. Groudon is here to set SR and reliably check EKiller and Zekrom at least once, Scarf Kyogre revenges Darkrai and Mewtwo, and Palkia, and my own Palkia handles opposing Kyogre.

Team at a glance:

In depth:

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy

I'll keep this brief since I talked about this set in the teambuilding process already, but even without Pixie Plate or Life Orb, Xerneas hits really hard. It 2HKOes support Arceus after Rocks with Moonblast and HP Fire does a shitton to boo boo keys if Sun is up. In addition to laughing at support Arceus, Thunder Wave is its only option vs. Ho-Oh to mildly annoy it. TWave also cripples stuff like Mewtwo and is a dirty move in general & I feel bad using it on a seemingly random Pokemon. Aromatherapy is its final move and gives paralyzed Kyogre or burned Kangaskhan a secnd leash on life; it can also awaken a Darkrai NyQuil victim in a pinch. I have no Steel types so this team is susceptible to Toxic without Aromatherapy. So yeah, this Xerneas has many roles but the Leftovers reovery and excellent defensive typing allows it to fulfill those roles most of the time. The 72 Speed EV's are mostly for opposing Sub Xerneas so they get TWaved before setting up a Substitute.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch

Standard Mega Kangaskhan. Fake Out helps finish off weakened Nasty Plot Darkrai and Geomancy Xerneas, Return hits like a truck and holds lead Scolipede to one hazard, and Sucker Punch adds further priority and forces a lot of 50-50's that favor Kangaskhan. For example, does the opponent's MM2Y stay in and risk getting Sucker Punched, or switch out to their Kanga check and risk taking damage from Return / improving EKiller's chances of cleaning later? If you Sucker Punch a Groudon switch, it isn't that big a deal, but if your opponent loses Mewtwo or cannot check EKiller later on in the game...you greatly improve your chances of winning. Crunch is normally a mediocre option on this, especially since good players often don't run Will-O-Wisp on Giratina-O, but since EKiller cannot touch Tina-O I use Crunch to lure and deal heavy damage to it. Kanga is a really good Pokemon that happens to match up very well on the ladder, making it a good choice for speed laddering.

Palkia @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spacial Rend
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder / Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Assault Vest Palkia is often forgotten, but people forget what a good job it does at checking Kyogre multiple times throughout the match while remaining threatening offensively (unlike specially defensive Palkia). This team needed a sturdy Kyogre check without giving Ferrothorn free switches, so this Palkia variant worked like a charm. Spacial Rend and Hydro Pump are obligatory STAB options and Fire Blast is mostly for Ferrothorn, Klefki, and Scizor. The last option is up to you: Thunder hits Kyogre harder and allows Palkia to smack Lugia for good damage whilst potentially crippling it with paralysis, but Dragon Tail surprises Gothitelle and CM Arceus formes barring Arceus-Fairy. Since this team lacks hazards outside of SR and has other ways of dealing with CM Arceus (EKiller / Scarfogre / Thunder Wave Xerneas), I opted for Thunder but it doesn't matter that much. The last perk of Assault Vest is that this Palkia can beat all other Palkia variants 1-1, unless Jibaku brings his Gen 4 Scarf Outrage Palkia into battle.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Scarfogre gives the team a means to revenge healthy Darkrai and Mewtwo. With a Modest nature, Water Spout hits really hard when at or near full health. Kyogre helps vs. Calm Mind Arceus as well, in case they attempt to set up on Palkia. I use Modest for the extra power, since Kyogre will lose to scarf Zekrom 1-1 regardless of whether it chooses Modest or Timid. Remember, Modest Kyogre can still outrun MM2Y and below, so it's still fast enough to revenge what it needs to. The coverage moves are all standard; don't try to hard trying to break down Palkia with Thunder though, as you'll need to predict the switch several times to actually kill it, assuming it doesn't run Rest. Double-switching to Xerneas or Kangaskhan is usually a better way to punish obvious Palkia switchins. Kyogre has an easier time breaking Arceus-Grass, as it needs little prior damage to secure a 2HKO on it if Rocks are up.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Groudon is the team's physical wall and the main defensive backbone of the team. Although nothing on this team is frail, Groudon is the only Pokemon that is truly defensively-oriented. Stealth Rock is mandatory on any competitive team, Roar phazes set-up sweepers and ruins BP chains on the ladder that forget to set up Ingrain, and Stone Edge + speed creep is usually enough to check Ho-Oh. Earthquake doesn't hit all that hard uninvested, but fast EKiller and Zekrom are too threatening to this team to run an offensive Earth Plate Groudon. Groudon's sunlight is also useful for powering up this team's Fire moves to help beat Klefki, which is a massive hassle for this team. Groudon can also sacrifice itself to Kyogre late-game to give EKiller a free set-up opportunity. Landorus-T cannot set sun or phaze, which is why I chose Groudon as my SR setter despite leaving the team without a Ground resist. This team has little trouble with physical Ground-types special Ground types do not exist in Ubers, so the lack of a Ground resist is not a big deal. If it were, I'd use Lando-T.

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake / Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Refresh

I first saw this set in SPL practice when pokeaim brought it vs. me. I've been in love with it ever since. Silk Scarf EKiller can either run max Speed with Shadow Claw to check opposing Ghostceus and beat Mega Gengar or a bulkier spread with Earthquake to break more threats at +2 & increase its survivability. At +2 with an Adamant nature, EKiller can OHKO much of the Ubers metagame, including Kyogre, Palkia, Shaymin-S, regular Mewtwo, and others. Earthquake helps this team beat Klefki and also nails Dialga, which would otherwise phaze EKiller easily. Refresh might seem odd, but with Will-O-Wisp everywhere and Dragon Tail less common than it was before, Refresh is a great move to erase one of the most common ways of taking Arceus down (status). The 192 HP investment and lack of Life Orb recoil allow Arceus to take multiple hits as well. 64 Speed is for general speed creep and outruns Adamant Rayquaza. Beware; this EKiller variant can't do anything against Giratina-O, so try to get rid of it before bringing this in. Make no mistake, EKiller is typically this team's win condition and will get its fair share of sweeps.

Threat List:

Klefki: kys

Arceus-Fairy: Support variants will Will-O-Wisp are hard to kill and the lack of Fairy resists give the CM variant a good match-up as well

Giratina-A carrying Rest and three support moves: A terrible moveset that happens to wall 2/3rds of this team. Seriously, Giratina-A lacking Sleep Talk is basically Mega Dusclops, stop fucking using it

Fast EKiller: Not wildly threatening if it's sufficiently worn down late-game, but still a pest since it will beat my EKiller 1-1.

Mega Gengar: Removes Palkia for opposing Kyogre; forces the team to rely on priority + saccing Groudon to beat Ogre, though it's still doable. Thunder paralysis can troll the hell out of it! Gengar also removes Xerneas, but again, Gengar like coming in prematurely on leftovers Xerneas and are prone to getting paralyzed.

Scarf Xerneas: really annoying mid-to-late game for obvious reasons

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/kLNCwmZW

Shout-outs (lengthy since i've made a bunch of teams and have never gotten around to doing a full one):

Ubers community

Muk: Our bond is unbreakable. I will continue to enjoy your rise to power on PS! and on Smogon!
Fireburn: Come on IRC more often
Melee Mewtwo: lol
aim: yeah that set is nice, even if I should be using Shadow Claw
shrang: The doctor is here to cure the PS ubers room of idiot trolls
Haruno: My favorite bullying victim on PS
Steeljackal<3: My 2nd favorite bullying victim on PS
Hack Kebabe Zolar: There is about a 3% chance they are not at least distantly related
Edgar: ":]" is one of the most pleasant emoticons ever
BKC: gen 4 god (insert dash mark here)
trickroom: Best player of all-time IMO, right up there with Pi Face
Imma Fly: Most underrated player, get back on PS nigga
Blim: Outstanding player, and also the person on Smogon I'd most like to hit the bars with
el poeta: good player, regardless of how many times you use Thunder Wave
Hugendugen: rip? :__:
Theorymon: rip? :__:
polop: rip? :__:
Furai: bye
MAJISTRATE: dw about irrelevant forum losses, all that matters is SPL and you won a lot in that ;0
malefic Level 56 orch ZoroarkForever Evuelf: more friends
qsns MasterRyuga: My tutees...both of you guys are really cool to talk to

Anyone else I may have forgotten: hi

(sun):

Arcticblast: cool guy to talk to, hope this semester is going well
atomicllamas: :] > (sun) > (makeup) yn
Aurora: Please beat me with a stick the next time I type "rof"
Blitzamirin: One of the most chill auth on PS...you're also competent in policy which is an added bonus
Charmander: As far as I'm concerned, the greatest LC player of all time
Hollywood: i am a heron. i haev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
jrp: xD
mikel: i'm definitely qualified to peer-review your chemistry papers yn
MJB: Wish you were still a leader on PS:')
Nova: Hope your semester is going well, come back soon!
Scotteh: remind me to champ again sometime in the near future
shaymin: *eats cookie* thanks! LOL
tennisace: idk why I gave my teams to people who oppose a stag ban, but glad i could help
@thewolf0x: another football fan, it's been cool getting to know you!
TalkTakesTime: another anti-STAG ban user who I gave teams to (thus harming my cause). i'm brilliant
Zebraiken: Nebraska looked good today vs. Rutgers :). Good luck with SPL.

IRC / Miscellaneous

Too tired to write out more individual shout-outs so this'll be messy. i like the following users: Tesung Psychotic Frizy skylight Winry Antemortem srinator IndianCharizard# macle capefeather V0x Goddess Briyella Laurel TGMD Jirachee Molk Pwnemon eriados Valentine Blocko TRC Jac Trinitrotoluene SteelEdges Chillarmy Hot N Cold Clefairy kupo QuoteCS Enguarde Bouffalant BetaHousing Genesect WaterBomb Scene The Immortal many others too tired good fucking night

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, nice to see someone still likes Assault Vest Palkia.

I think a Steel-type would be greatly appreciated on this team because your lack of resistances to Fairy is somewhat concerning, you have lots of priority + Scarf but the Fairies you mentioned above are concerns as well. You can potentially try SD Mega Scizor over Kangaskhan and Shadow Claw EKiller which mostly fixes your Fairy weakness overall, and SD Mega Scizor can still help Arceus wallbreak by Knocking Off stuff, though this makes you weaker to enemy EKillers and Mega Scizor isn't quite as immediately threatening offensively as Kanga. It's hard to disturb the synergy on this team to be honest.

Remind me to go yell at tennisace later...

I think the easiest fixes to the team would be geomancy xern, mega gar over kanga, and twave lustkia, and lando but that'd kill the whole point of the team and, well, whatever works, works.

fuck that xern set tho :/

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At +2 with an Adamant nature, EKiller can OHKO much of the Ubers metagame, including Kyogre, Palkia, Shaymin-S, regular Mewtwo, and others.
Such blatant lies :P

Last edited:

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not dead gee Sweep ...

But good grief I know who was trolling me on the ladder with Refresh Normal Arceus now :_:, I do like the idea of using Refresh on Normal Arceus though.

The lack of a true fairy resist is really annoying to this team. For example a Physically Defensive Calm Mind Xerneas can be very difficult to stop if it gets setup. Fake Out from Kangaskahn does 18% to it at most, and thats not factoring Leftovers recovery, the most depressing thing is it doesn't fall into range of ExtremeSpeed after Fake Out and Return are used though. It will find it a little difficult to setup though, but it can easily do it by switching in on Palkia.

If for some reason a Lugia is used against your team it walls everyone with the exception of Kyogre and Xerneas.

But really if there's a check to ExtremeKiller on the other team that relies on phazing out Arceus instead of actually burning it and the team is stally in nature the match doesn't seem like it'll proceed well...to be honest even Hippowdon is annoying since it won't get worn down by Stealth Rock and can just phaze out Arceus whenever it hits +2.

The above is easily solved around by putting Toxic somewhere on this team. I know I sound like Melee Mewtwo but Toxic is OP :(.

Defensive Calm Mind Xerneas is still used by no one so its not that big a deal to worry about, but the best way to fix the issue would be to go with Fireburn's suggestion and put a Scizor on the team.

Finally:
At +2 with an Adamant nature, EKiller can OHKO much of the Ubers metagame, including Kyogre, Palkia, Shaymin-S, regular Mewtwo, and others.
Maybe I've been dead for a long time but isn't Skymin more niche then popular, and what on earth regular mewtwo?

I'd say this is a pretty solid team, but I'd suggest 252+ speed on arceus, since support ghostceus teams tend to have an advantage over you.
Other than that, I'd say it's a pretty solid team. Kyogre is missing half an arm though.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
This is an amazing team and it's lovely to see AV palkia once again! I used it in early X/Y ubers, however I have a question about your xerneas set.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy

why not change the speed to about 128 Speed? you mentioned the primary goal is to outspeed sub xerneas. Iirc Some Sub xerneas run the standard 120 Speed with a common set below.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder/Focus blast/thunderbolt

This seems like a threat, if it manages to sub. please correct me if im wrong though its been a while since i laddered, but I do remember those being standard evs on xerneas'

ur pretty weak to stall as ekiller is ur only means of breaking it but things like ferrothorn, bulky grounds, phys def ho-oh, and other extraneous pokes found on stall which beat arceus means that you're gonna be in some trouble. ground-types are a nuisance due to your lack of a resistance. you say they aren't a big deal, but i reckon that a well played gliscor or landorus-t is going to have a good matchup against your team. the annoying thing about your team is that it doesn't particularly require refresh ekiller as you have a solid cm arceus check in kyogre; however, ur mandated to use it as you're too weak to stall otherwise.. this just manifests the flaws in ur team. i feel like ur reliance on normal-type spam in order to overcome ur opponent will fail against a well built balance and stall as u seem to crumble to a few defensive pokemon and lack key checks; xerneas can lead against ur team freely and if u lead ur stealth rock setter ur gonna have to suicide to get up sr. i'm not rly sure how to fix ur weaknesses as u would have to drastically reform the team's build, but the xerneas set is pretty baller so thanks for showcasing that. u should probably run lum on groudon for darkrai leads and dual status palkia to not be xerneas bait while hitting electric arc with toxic. avest isn't as needed on this team anyway since its so frail and u don't need to repeatedly switch in on kyogre-- u should be the one maintaining the momentum. thanks 4 sharing the ideas and using some cool sets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)