NU Purugly

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: Scorpdestroyer, Hollywood, Dat Blast
GP: Frenzyplant, __

Fat Kat

Overview
########

Purugly has high Speed, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame; however, it lacks the power to hit hard. This is made better by its ability, Defiant, which allows Purugly to get an Attack boost if it is switched into a Defog or Sticky Web. This is a great asset for teams that rely on stacking entry hazards, as Defiant discourages the use of Defog. Purugly faces competition as a Defiant user from Pawniard, which is bulkier and has a better movepool, but Purugly has merits such as a higher Speed and access to U-turn. It also faces competition as a Normal-type, as Pokemon such as Zangoose and Kangaskhan are stronger, bulkier, and have a wider movepool. Purugly also has low bulk, so a misprediction could be fatal. Its small movepool also makes it easily walled by Rock- and Steel-types such as Regirock and Probopass.

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Return
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Sucker Punch / Knock Off
ability: Defiant
item: Silk Scarf / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Fake Out allows Purugly to revenge kill or get damage on faster threats and boosted Pokemon. Return is Purugly's main STAB move and strongest attack. U-turn allows Purugly to gain momentum on predicted switches into its counters. Sucker Punch provides stronger priority and hits Ghost-types. Knock Off can be used instead, as it is stronger, more reliable, and can cripple switch-ins due to its secondary effect and Purugly already outspeeds every unboosted Ghost-type. However, Knock Off lacks priority, making Purugly easier to revenge kill.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Purugly to outspeed as much as possible. 252 Attack EVs increase and can be backed up by either a Silk Scarf, which boosts the power of Normal type moves, or a Life Orb, which provides a higher boost but can wear Purugly down. Defiant is the chosen ability, as it allows Purugly to switch into Defog and Sticky Web and get a +2 Attack boost, whilst discouraging Defog as a whole.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its poor bulk, Purugly dislikes switching in on possible hits, so it prefers to switch in after a KO in order to revenge kill. However, Purugly could also be switched in on a predicted Defog to get a +2 Attack boost and then dish out heavy damage. Fake Out shouldn't always be used first turn; on a predicted switch, Purugly should either U-turn to gain momentum or use another, stronger attack. Fake Out followed by Sucker Punch can be used to revenge kill Pokemon that are weakened, faster, or have their stats boosted. Purugly shouldn't be pressured to stay in if it has a boost; using U-turn or hard switching is fine if Purugly is against a Pokemon that walls or outspeeds it.

Team Options
========

Purugly should be used with entry hazards, as the bait Defog and Purugly appreciates the chip damage. Entry hazard setters such as Crustle and Accelgor work well, as Purugly prefers to be used on a hyper offensive team with suicide leads. Partners that use Volt Switch and U-turn can bring Purugly in safely whilst creating a VolTurn core. Of these, Mespirit can beat Fighting-types, and Primeape can beat Rock- and Steel-types, which otherwise wall Purugly. Because of this, it also appreciates Ground- and Fighting-types such as Golurk and Sawk, respectively. Wallbreakers such as Magmortar can wear down the opponent's walls to a point where Purugly can KO them.

Other Options
########

Purugly has limited coverage, its only options being Play Rough, which hits Fighting-types harder; Iron Tail, which 2HKOs Granbull after Intimidate; and Wake-Up Slap, which hits Rock- and Steel-types, though many of them don't take much damage from it. Support-wise, Purugly can use Taunt, which prevents status and recovery; Hypnosis, though it has low accuracy; and Super Fang, which is Purugly's best way of wearing down walls. Quick Attack can be used as more reliable priority, but it is weaker than Sucker Punch, and Facade allows Purugly to take advantage of status, but is otherwise much weaker than Return. Lastly, a Choice Band set could be used for more strength, but Purugly prefers the ability to change moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock- and Steel-Types**: Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon such as Rhydon and Steelix completely wall Purugly and can use it as entry hazard fodder or deal a lot of damage with their STAB moves. Other Pokemon such as Klinklang and Barbaracle can use it as setup fodder.

**Physical Walls**: Purugly struggles to get past common physical walls such as Vileplume or Seismitoad, which can retaliate or status Purugly.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Hariyama can take a hit and deal a large amount of damage with their STAB moves. Gurdurr can recover its lost health with Drain Punch or set up Bulk Ups.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority**: Due to Purugly's lack of bulk, Choice Scarf Pokemon, such as Typhlosion, and naturally faster Pokemon, like Sceptile, can easily revenge kill it. Priority, such as Feraligatr's Aqua Jet and Kangaskhan's Fake Out, also does a lot of damage.

**Status**: Paralysis makes Purugly easily revenge killed. Ferroseed and Liepard, common Thunder Wave users, can live a hit and outprioritize due to Prankster. Pokemon such as Vivillon can put Purugly to sleep, shutting it down, whilst Pokemon such as Rotom-F can burn it, preventing it from doing much damage.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Wake-Up Slap should be slashed at all. Here's the damage it does to bulky Rock or Steel-types:

252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Wake-Up Slap (70 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 75-91 (25.6 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Wake-Up Slap (70 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 86-101 (20.7 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Wake-Up Slap (70 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 81-96 (22.8 - 27.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only Steels or Rocks it really hits hard enough are Klinklang and Probopass. Even so, Purugly can still U-turn out of these Rocks and Steels anyway. I would just move Wake-Up Slap to OO because U-turn is important and it is one way that differentiates Purugly from Kanga and Kecleon, as well as allowing it to shift momentum and get out of counters that switch in.

For this reason I also wish to see U-turn move to the third slot. In addition, Purugly's main item probably should be Silk Scarf, because Life Orb can potentially wear down Purugly too much with all the Fake Out / U-turn going on:

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attaker
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves:
- Mention that Purugly relies less on Sucker Punch than Kangaskhan because of its high Speed

Set Details:
- Silk Scarf

Team Options:
- Include a teammate that beats Spiritomb (eg. Slurpuff)
- When you're mentioning Pokemon that beat Rock- or Steel-types, also mention that Purugly can U-turn out as they switch in, giving the user the momentum very nicely, and could also allow some of them to set up

Checks and Counters:
- "Due to lack of bulky scarf mons" -- i think you mean lack of bulk?
- Fighting-types: Hariyama actually gets 2HKOed, so don't make it sound like bulky Fighting-types always counter Purugly when you write it up!
- I think the section on physical walls can be split up because not everything in there fits. For example Spiritomb doesn't need to be using the physically bulky set to defeat Purugly, while stuff like Rhydon and Steelix wall Purugly either way. You could probably split it into 3 different sections: 1) Physical walls [Vileplume, Poliwrath, Seismitoad etc] 2) Bulky Rock- and Steel-types and 3) Spiritomb

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Wake-Up Slap should be slashed at all. Here's the damage it does to bulky Rock or Steel-types:

252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Wake-Up Slap (70 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 75-91 (25.6 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Wake-Up Slap (70 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 86-101 (20.7 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Wake-Up Slap (70 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 81-96 (22.8 - 27.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only Steels or Rocks it really hits hard enough are Klinklang and Probopass. Even so, Purugly can still U-turn out of these Rocks and Steels anyway. I would just move Wake-Up Slap to OO because U-turn is important and it is one way that differentiates Purugly from Kanga and Kecleon, as well as allowing it to shift momentum and get out of counters that switch in.

For this reason I also wish to see U-turn move to the third slot. In addition, Purugly's main item probably should be Silk Scarf, because Life Orb can potentially wear down Purugly too much with all the Fake Out / U-turn going on:

Physical Attacker
########
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves:
- Mention that Purugly relies less on Sucker Punch than Kangaskhan because of its high Speed

Set Details:
- Silk Scarf

Team Options:
- Include a teammate that beats Spiritomb (eg. Slurpuff)
- When you're mentioning Pokemon that beat Rock- or Steel-types, also mention that Purugly can U-turn out as they switch in, giving the user the momentum very nicely, and could also allow some of them to set up

Checks and Counters:
- "Due to lack of bulky scarf mons" -- i think you mean lack of bulk?
- Fighting-types: Hariyama actually gets 2HKOed, so don't make it sound like bulky Fighting-types always counter Purugly when you write it up!
- I think the section on physical walls can be split up because not everything in there fits. For example Spiritomb doesn't need to be using the physically bulky set to defeat Purugly, while stuff like Rhydon and Steelix wall Purugly either way. You could probably split it into 3 different sections: 1) Physical walls [Vileplume, Poliwrath, Seismitoad etc] 2) Bulky Rock- and Steel-types and 3) Spiritomb

Thanks for the response i really appreciate it :)

I never realised how little damage wake up slap did, ill definitely change it (I thought it would be worth it with defog boost, apparently not). The only ko that purugly doesnt get without lo, is knock off on mismagius, otherwise silk scarf seems better

I will implement all the changes (including spiritomb, but note that might go to ru when stats come out) and ill edit this post when done.

e: Done, also added more capital letters to names

Last edited:
Thanks for the response i really appreciate it :)

I never realised how little damage wake up slap did, ill definitely change it (I thought it would be worth it with defog boost, apparently not). The only ko that purugly doesnt get without lo, is knock off on mismagius, otherwise silk scarf seems better

I will implement all the changes (including spiritomb, but note that might go to ru when stats come out) and ill edit this post when done.
Avoding recoil from Life Orb when you will U-Turn alot is kind of important, so yeah, I would definately slash Silk Scarf first.

I think I would also mention that it faces stiff competition from Pawniard when it goes to Defiant users. Pawniard while it is much slower, it has so much stronger Sucker Punch (thanks to STAB) and additional STAB attack to hit higher number of targets hard over Purugly. Also has access to Swords Dance, which allow his attack to skyrocket, especially with defiant boost in. The only advantages Purugly has over him are much higher speed and U-Turn, which allow it to act as a scout, making him much better pick for VoltTurn teams. Outside of it I would say it's outclassed.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
overview:
- you should probably make a quick mention of pawniard, as mentioned by Kejmur, but don't emphasize too much on it because apart from Defiant they aren't very similar

Moves:
- when you mention that Sucker Punch isn't necessary, I think the wording is a bit weird. Rather than that, say that Purugly doesn't rely on it as much (because if it isn't necessary then it shouldn't be on the set, you know?)

checks and counters:
- Purugly actually 2hkos wrath and plume at +2 but it can't when unboosted, so ya
- faster pokemon must watch out for priority because it can do a decent chunk, so mention that.

apart from that it looks good :) implement this and:
QC 1/3

Anty

let's drop
overview:
- you should probably make a quick mention of pawniard, as mentioned by Kejmur, but don't emphasize too much on it because apart from Defiant they aren't very similar

Moves:
- when you mention that Sucker Punch isn't necessary, I think the wording is a bit weird. Rather than that, say that Purugly doesn't rely on it as much (because if it isn't necessary then it shouldn't be on the set, you know?)

checks and counters:
- Purugly actually 2hkos wrath and plume at +2 but it can't when unboosted, so ya
- faster pokemon must watch out for priority because it can do a decent chunk, so mention that.

apart from that it looks good :) implement this and:
QC 1/3
Implemented ;). I will also remove stuff about spiritomb and omaster

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview when you compare Purugly to Pawniard, you need to mention that U-turn is its niche over the latter.

Don't encourage the reader to click Fake Out most of the time you bring out Purugly. If you want to mention when to use Fake Out, have them consider the opponent's team first. Is there anything that walls you (there usually is)? If so, U-turn unless it's like Rhydon, in which case, Knock Off its Eviolite on the switch. Is there a faster Ghost-type, such as Scarf Rotom? Weigh the risk vs. reward and decide how important it is for you to predict it to come in.

Move Play Rough to moves. Hitting Gurdurr and Hariyama for more than 3% damage (because let's be real, Return isn't doing much) is really nice.

Checks and counters should have double asterisks on either side, a la:
**Status**:

Everything else looks good. 2/3, Anty

Anty

let's drop
In the Overview when you compare Purugly to Pawniard, you need to mention that U-turn is its niche over the latter.

Don't encourage the reader to click Fake Out most of the time you bring out Purugly. If you want to mention when to use Fake Out, have them consider the opponent's team first. Is there anything that walls you (there usually is)? If so, U-turn unless it's like Rhydon, in which case, Knock Off its Eviolite on the switch. Is there a faster Ghost-type, such as Scarf Rotom? Weigh the risk vs. reward and decide how important it is for you to predict it to come in.

Move Play Rough to moves. Hitting Gurdurr and Hariyama for more than 3% damage (because let's be real, Return isn't doing much) is really nice.

Checks and counters should have double asterisks on either side, a la:
**Status**:

Everything else looks good. 2/3, Anty
I dont think play rough should be mentioned on the moves; Silk scarf return outdamages it, but with life orb, you 2hko hariyama regardless and:
252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Return vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 121-144 (32.4 - 38.6%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Purugly Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 146-172 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Its not like you are beating it on the switch anyway and the 4 moves are vital anyway (well fo/return/uturn/dark).

I did mention about the fake out thing but it wasnt very clear so i re-worded it. Thanks!

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't see the point of Dual Screens in TO, Purugly can't abuse them itself unless it gets a Defiant boost and most of the time trying to Defog away screens just opens up more free turns. Similarly, clerics seem out of place to me since Purugly is almost always on offensive teams, which don't have time for that type of stuff. Also give some actual examples of good VoltTurn partners.

Sawk really shouldn't be in C&C since Fake Out + Return OHKOes after SR. Return even 2HKOes 0/0 Hariyama so that's a pretty shaky check too

Anty

Anty

let's drop
I don't see the point of Dual Screens in TO, Purugly can't abuse them itself unless it gets a Defiant boost and most of the time trying to Defog away screens just opens up more free turns. Similarly, clerics seem out of place to me since Purugly is almost always on offensive teams, which don't have time for that type of stuff. Also give some actual examples of good VoltTurn partners.

Sawk really shouldn't be in C&C since Fake Out + Return OHKOes after SR. Return even 2HKOes 0/0 Hariyama so that's a pretty shaky check too

Anty
I agree with all of that and i implemented it

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
C&C should be reordered. Rock- and Steel-types should definitely be listed first, and from there I'd prefer something along the lines of physical walls > Fighting-types > faster mons > status. I'd also kind of prefer if you listed more relevant Pokemon in the brackets too (js, i.e. a more common Scarfer > Primeape). And list some examples of status users

QC 3/3

Anty

let's drop
C&C should be reordered. Rock- and Steel-types should definitely be listed first, and from there I'd prefer something along the lines of physical walls > Fighting-types > faster mons > status. I'd also kind of prefer if you listed more relevant Pokemon in the brackets too (js, i.e. a more common Scarfer > Primeape). And list some examples of status users

QC 3/3
Done and will start writing up :)

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########
Purugly has a high Speed, (comma) allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame; (comma to semicolon) however, it lacks the power to hit hard. This is made up by its ability, Defiant, allowing it to get an Attack boost if switched into a Defog or Sticky Web. This is a great asset for offensive entry hazards-stacking (dash) teams, (comma) as it discourages the use of Defog. It Purugly receives competition as a Defiant user from Pawniard, who which is bulkier and has a better movepool, but Purugly has merits such as a higher Speed and access to U-turn. It also receives competition as a Normal-type, as Pokemon such as Zangoose and Kangaskhan are stronger, (remove comma) and bulkier and have a wider movepool. Purugly also has low bulk, so a misprediction trying to switch into a Fake Out could be fatal. Its bad small movepool also makes it easily walled by Rock- and Steel-types such as Regirock and Probopass.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========

Fake Out allows Purugly to revenge kill or get damage on faster threats or and boosted Pokemon. Return is Purugly's main STAB move and strongest attack. U-turn allows Purugly to gain momentum on predicted switches into its counters. Sucker Punch provides stronger priority and hits Ghost-types. Knock Off can could be used instead, (comma) as it is stronger, more reliable, and can cripple switch-ins due to its secondary effect, (comma) and Purugly already outspeeds every unboosted Ghost-type. However, (explain why Sucker Punch is slashed first if Knock Off is so good).

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs in Speed and a Jolly nature allow Purugly to outspeed as much as possible. 252 Attack EVs increases its strength as much as possible. This is backed up by either Silk Scarf, which boosts your the power of Normal-type moves, or Life Orb, which provides a stronger higher boosts but can wear Purugly down. Defiant is the chosen ability as it allows Purugly to switch into Defog and Sticky Web and get a +2 Attack boost, whilst discouraging Defog as a whole.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its poor bulk, Purugly dislikes switching in on possible hits, (comma) so it prefers to switch in after a KO to revenge kill. However, Purugly should be switched in on a predicted Defog to get a +2 Attack boost and then deal out heavy damage. Fake Out shouldn't always be used first turn; on a predicted switch Purugly should either U-turn to gain momentum or use another, stronger attack. Fake Out followed by Sucker Punch can be used to revenge kill weakened, faster, (comma) and/or boosted Pokemon. Purugly shouldn't be pressured to stay in if it has a boost; using U-turn or hard switching is fine if Purugly is against a Pokemon that walls or outspeeds it.

Team Options
========

Purugly should be used with entry hazards, (comma) as it appreciates the chip damage and baits Defog. Hazard setters such as Crustle and Accelgor work well as Purugly prefers to be used on a hyper offensive team with suicide leads. Partners that can Volt Switch and U-turn can bring Purugly in safely whilst creating a VoltTurn core. Of these, Mespirit can beat Fighting-types, (comma) and Primeape can beat Rock- and Steel-types. Purugly is walled by Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon, so it appreciates Ground- and Fighting-types such as Sawk and Golurk. Wallbreakers such as Magmortar can wear down the opponent's walls to the point that Purugly can KO them.

Other Options
########

Purugly has limited coverage, (comma) only being Play Rough, which hits Fighting-types harder; (comma to semicolon) Iron Tail, which 2HKOes Granbull after Intimidate boost; (comma to semicolon) and Wake-Up Slap, which hits Rock- and Steel-types, though however many of them don't take much damage from it. Support-wise, Purugly can use Taunt, which prevents status and recovery; (comma to semicolon) Hypnosis, however though it has low accuracy; (semicolon) and Super Fang, which is Purugly's best way of wearing down walls. Quick Attack can be used as more reliable priority, (comma) but it is weaker than Sucker Punch, Facade allows Purugly to take advantage of status, but is otherwise much weaker than Return. Lastly, (comma) a Choice Band set could be used for more strength, however but Purugly prefers the ability to change moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock- (dash) and Steel-types (dash)**: Pokemon such as Rhydon and Steelix completely wall Purugly and can use it as hazard fodder or deal large heavy damage with their STAB moves. Other Pokemon such as Klinklang or and Barbaracle can use it as setup fodder.

**Physical Walls**: Purugly struggles to get past common defensive walls such as Vileplume or and Seismitoad, who which can retaliate back by attacking or can status Purugly.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Hariyama can take a hit and deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Gurdurr can recover its lost health with Drain Punch or set up Bulk Ups.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority**: Due to Purugly's lack of bulk, Choice Scarf Pokemon, such as Typhlosion, and naturally faster Pokemon, like Sceptile, can easily revenge kill it. Priority, such as Feraligatr's Aqua Jet or and Kangaskhan's Fake Out, also does a lot of damage.

**Status**: Paralysis makes it easily revenge killed. Users such as Ferroseed and Liepard, common Thunder Wave users, can either live a hit or outspeed and outprioritize it due to Prankster, respectively. Pokemon such as Vivillon can put it Purugly to sleep, shutting it down, whilst Pokemon such as Rotom-F can burn it, preventing it from doing much damage.

Anty

let's drop
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########
Purugly has a high Speed, (comma) allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame; (comma to semicolon) however, it lacks the power to hit hard. This is made up by its ability, Defiant, allowing it to get an Attack boost if switched into a Defog or Sticky Web. This is a great asset for offensive entry hazards-stacking (dash) teams, (comma) as it discourages the use of Defog. It Purugly receives competition as a Defiant user from Pawniard, who which is bulkier and has a better movepool, but Purugly has merits such as a higher Speed and access to U-turn. It also receives competition as a Normal-type, as Pokemon such as Zangoose and Kangaskhan are stronger, (remove comma) and bulkier and have a wider movepool. Purugly also has low bulk, so a misprediction trying to switch into a Fake Out could be fatal. Its bad small movepool also makes it easily walled by Rock- and Steel-types such as Regirock and Probopass.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========

Fake Out allows Purugly to revenge kill or get damage on faster threats or and boosted Pokemon. Return is Purugly's main STAB move and strongest attack. U-turn allows Purugly to gain momentum on predicted switches into its counters. Sucker Punch provides stronger priority and hits Ghost-types. Knock Off can could be used instead, (comma) as it is stronger, more reliable, and can cripple switch-ins due to its secondary effect, (comma) and Purugly already outspeeds every unboosted Ghost-type. However, (explain why Sucker Punch is slashed first if Knock Off is so good).

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs in Speed and a Jolly nature allow Purugly to outspeed as much as possible. 252 Attack EVs increases its strength as much as possible. This is backed up by either Silk Scarf, which boosts your the power of Normal-type moves, or Life Orb, which provides a stronger higher boosts but can wear Purugly down. Defiant is the chosen ability as it allows Purugly to switch into Defog and Sticky Web and get a +2 Attack boost, whilst discouraging Defog as a whole.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its poor bulk, Purugly dislikes switching in on possible hits, (comma) so it prefers to switch in after a KO to revenge kill. However, Purugly should be switched in on a predicted Defog to get a +2 Attack boost and then deal out heavy damage. Fake Out shouldn't always be used first turn; on a predicted switch Purugly should either U-turn to gain momentum or use another, stronger attack. Fake Out followed by Sucker Punch can be used to revenge kill weakened, faster, (comma) and/or boosted Pokemon. Purugly shouldn't be pressured to stay in if it has a boost; using U-turn or hard switching is fine if Purugly is against a Pokemon that walls or outspeeds it.

Team Options
========

Purugly should be used with entry hazards, (comma) as it appreciates the chip damage and baits Defog. Hazard setters such as Crustle and Accelgor work well as Purugly prefers to be used on a hyper offensive team with suicide leads. Partners that can Volt Switch and U-turn can bring Purugly in safely whilst creating a VoltTurn core. Of these, Mespirit can beat Fighting-types, (comma) and Primeape can beat Rock- and Steel-types. Purugly is walled by Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon, so it appreciates Ground- and Fighting-types such as Sawk and Golurk. Wallbreakers such as Magmortar can wear down the opponent's walls to the point that Purugly can KO them.

Other Options
########

Purugly has limited coverage, (comma) only being Play Rough, which hits Fighting-types harder; (comma to semicolon) Iron Tail, which 2HKOes Granbull after Intimidate boost; (comma to semicolon) and Wake-Up Slap, which hits Rock- and Steel-types, though however many of them don't take much damage from it. Support-wise, Purugly can use Taunt, which prevents status and recovery; (comma to semicolon) Hypnosis, however though it has low accuracy; (semicolon) and Super Fang, which is Purugly's best way of wearing down walls. Quick Attack can be used as more reliable priority, (comma) but it is weaker than Sucker Punch, Facade allows Purugly to take advantage of status, but is otherwise much weaker than Return. Lastly, (comma) a Choice Band set could be used for more strength, however but Purugly prefers the ability to change moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock- (dash) and Steel-types (dash)**: Pokemon such as Rhydon and Steelix completely wall Purugly and can use it as hazard fodder or deal large heavy damage with their STAB moves. Other Pokemon such as Klinklang or and Barbaracle can use it as setup fodder.

**Physical Walls**: Purugly struggles to get past common defensive walls such as Vileplume or and Seismitoad, who which can retaliate back by attacking or can status Purugly.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Hariyama can take a hit and deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Gurdurr can recover its lost health with Drain Punch or set up Bulk Ups.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority**: Due to Purugly's lack of bulk, Choice Scarf Pokemon, such as Typhlosion, and naturally faster Pokemon, like Sceptile, can easily revenge kill it. Priority, such as Feraligatr's Aqua Jet or and Kangaskhan's Fake Out, also does a lot of damage.

**Status**: Paralysis makes it easily revenge killed. Users such as Ferroseed and Liepard, common Thunder Wave users, can either live a hit or outspeed and outprioritize it due to Prankster, respectively. Pokemon such as Vivillon can put it Purugly to sleep, shutting it down, whilst Pokemon such as Rotom-F can burn it, preventing it from doing much damage.
Thank you and done :)

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Amcheck !!
Overview
########
(empty line)
Purugly has high Speed, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame; however, it lacks the power to hit hard. This is made up better by its ability, Defiant, which allowing it allows Purugly to get an Attack boost if it is switched into a Defog or Sticky Web. This is a great asset for offensive teams that rely on stacking entry hazards-stacking teams, as it Defiant discourages the use of Defog. Purugly receives faces competition as a Defiant user from Pawniard, which is bulkier and has a better movepool, but Purugly has merits such as a higher Speed and access to U-turn. It also receives faces competition as a Normal-type, as Pokemon such as Zangoose and Kangaskhan are stronger and, (AC) bulkier, (AC) and have a wider movepool. Purugly also has low bulk, so a misprediction could be fatal. Its small movepool also makes it easily walled by Rock- and Steel-types such as Regirock and Probopass.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========

Fake Out allows Purugly to revenge kill or get damage on faster threats and boosted Pokemon. Return is Purugly's main STAB move and strongest attack. U-turn allows Purugly to gain momentum on predicted switches into its counters. Sucker Punch provides stronger priority and hits Ghost-types. Knock Off can be used instead, as it is stronger, more reliable, (AC) and can cripple switch-ins due to its secondary effect and Purugly already outspeeds every unboosted Ghost-type. However, Knock Off lacks priority, making Purugly easier to revenge kill.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Purugly to outspeed as much as possible. 252 Attack EVs increase its strength as much as possible. This is and can be backed up by either a Silk Scarf, which boosts the power of Normal type moves, or a Life Orb, which provides a higher boost but can wear Purugly down. Defiant is the chosen ability, (AC) as it allows Purugly to switch into Defog and Sticky Web and get a +2 Attack boost, whilst discouraging Defog as a whole.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its poor bulk, Purugly dislikes switching in on possible hits, so it prefers to switch in after a KO in order to revenge kill. However, Purugly should could also be switched in on a predicted Defog to get a +2 Attack boost and then deal dish out heavy damage. Fake Out shouldn't always be used first turn; on a predicted switch, (AC) Purugly should either U-turn to gain momentum or use another, stronger attack. Fake Out followed by Sucker Punch can be used to revenge kill Pokemon that are weakened, faster, and or have boosted their stats. Pokemon Purugly shouldn't be pressured to stay in if it has a boost; using U-turn or hard switching is fine if Purugly is against a Pokemon that walls or outspeeds it.

Team Options
========

Purugly should be used with entry hazards, as they bait Defog and it Purugly appreciates the chip damage and baits Defog. HEntry hazard setters such as Crustle and Accelgor work well, (AC) as Purugly prefers to be used on a hyper offensive team with suicide leads. Partners that can use Volt Switch and U-turn can bring Purugly in safely whilst creating a VoltTurn core. Of these, Mespirit can beat Fighting-types, and Primeape can beat Rock- and Steel-types, which otherwise wall Purugly. Because of this, Purugly is walled by Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon, so it also appreciates Ground- and Fighting-types such as Golurk and Sawk and Golurk. (rearranged because you mentioned Ground-type first) Wallbreakers such as Magmortar can wear down the opponent's walls to the a point that where Purugly can KO them.

Other Options
########

Purugly has limited coverage, its only options being Play Rough, which hits Fighting-types harder; Iron Tail, which 2HKOs Granbull after Intimidate; and Wake-Up Slap, which hits Rock- and Steel-types, though many of them don't take much damage from it. Support-wise, Purugly can use Taunt, which prevents status and recovery; Hypnosis, though it has low accuracy; and Super Fang, which is Purugly's best way of wearing down walls. Quick Attack can be used as more reliable priority, but it is weaker than Sucker Punch, and Facade allows Purugly to take advantage of status, but is otherwise much weaker than Return. Lastly, a Choice Band set could be used for more strength, but Purugly prefers the ability to change moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock- and Steel-Types**: Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon such as Rhydon and Steelix completely wall Purugly and can use it as entry hazard fodder or deal heavy a lot of damage with their STAB moves. Other Pokemon such as Klinklang and Barbaracle can use it as setup fodder.

**Physical Walls**: Purugly struggles to get past common physical walls such as Vileplume or Seismitoad, which can retaliate or status Purugly.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Hariyama can take a hit and deal heavy a large amount of damage with their STAB moves. Gurdurr can recover its lost health with Drain Punch or set up Bulk Ups.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority**: Due to Purugly's lack of bulk, Choice Scarf Pokemon, such as Typhlosion, and naturally faster Pokemon, like Sceptile, can easily revenge kill it. Priority, such as Feraligatr's Aqua Jet and Kangaskhan's Fake Out, also does a lot of damage.

**Status**: Paralysis makes it Purugly easily revenge killed. Ferroseed and Liepard, common Thunder Wave users, can live a hit and outprioritize due to Prankster, respectively. Pokemon such as Vivillon can put Purugly to sleep, shutting it down, whilst Pokemon such as Rotom-F can burn it, preventing it from doing much damage.

also I'm going to ask a GP member to look over this, so hold tight :)

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
Amcheck !!
Overview
########
(empty line)
Purugly has high Speed, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame; however, it lacks the power to hit hard. This is made up better by its ability, Defiant, which allowing it allows Purugly to get an Attack boost if it is switched into a Defog or Sticky Web. This is a great asset for offensive teams that rely on stacking entry hazards-stacking teams, as it Defiant discourages the use of Defog. Purugly receives faces competition as a Defiant user from Pawniard, which is bulkier and has a better movepool, but Purugly has merits such as a higher Speed and access to U-turn. It also receives faces competition as a Normal-type, as Pokemon such as Zangoose and Kangaskhan are stronger and, (AC) bulkier, (AC) and have a wider movepool. Purugly also has low bulk, so a misprediction could be fatal. Its small movepool also makes it easily walled by Rock- and Steel-types such as Regirock and Probopass.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========

Fake Out allows Purugly to revenge kill or get damage on faster threats and boosted Pokemon. Return is Purugly's main STAB move and strongest attack. U-turn allows Purugly to gain momentum on predicted switches into its counters. Sucker Punch provides stronger priority and hits Ghost-types. Knock Off can be used instead, as it is stronger, more reliable, (AC) and can cripple switch-ins due to its secondary effect and Purugly already outspeeds every unboosted Ghost-type. However, Knock Off lacks priority, making Purugly easier to revenge kill.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Purugly to outspeed as much as possible. 252 Attack EVs increase its strength as much as possible. This is and can be backed up by either a Silk Scarf, which boosts the power of Normal type moves, or a Life Orb, which provides a higher boost but can wear Purugly down. Defiant is the chosen ability, (AC) as it allows Purugly to switch into Defog and Sticky Web and get a +2 Attack boost, whilst discouraging Defog as a whole.

Usage Tips
========

Due to its poor bulk, Purugly dislikes switching in on possible hits, so it prefers to switch in after a KO in order to revenge kill. However, Purugly should could also be switched in on a predicted Defog to get a +2 Attack boost and then deal dish out heavy damage. Fake Out shouldn't always be used first turn; on a predicted switch, (AC) Purugly should either U-turn to gain momentum or use another, stronger attack. Fake Out followed by Sucker Punch can be used to revenge kill Pokemon that are weakened, faster, and or have boosted their stats. Pokemon Purugly shouldn't be pressured to stay in if it has a boost; using U-turn or hard switching is fine if Purugly is against a Pokemon that walls or outspeeds it.

Team Options
========

Purugly should be used with entry hazards, as they bait Defog and it Purugly appreciates the chip damage and baits Defog. HEntry hazard setters such as Crustle and Accelgor work well, (AC) as Purugly prefers to be used on a hyper offensive team with suicide leads. Partners that can use Volt Switch and U-turn can bring Purugly in safely whilst creating a VoltTurn core. Of these, Mespirit can beat Fighting-types, and Primeape can beat Rock- and Steel-types, which otherwise wall Purugly. Because of this, Purugly is walled by Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon, so it also appreciates Ground- and Fighting-types such as Golurk and Sawk and Golurk. (rearranged because you mentioned Ground-type first) Wallbreakers such as Magmortar can wear down the opponent's walls to the a point that where Purugly can KO them.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock- and Steel-Types**: Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon such as Rhydon and Steelix completely wall Purugly and can use it as entry hazard fodder or deal heavy a lot of damage with their STAB moves. Other Pokemon such as Klinklang and Barbaracle can use it as setup fodder.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Hariyama can take a hit and deal heavy a large amount of damage with their STAB moves. Gurdurr can recover its lost health with Drain Punch or set up Bulk Ups.

**Status**: Paralysis makes it Purugly easily revenge killed. Ferroseed and Liepard, common Thunder Wave users, can live a hit and outprioritize due to Prankster, respectively. Pokemon such as Vivillon can put Purugly to sleep, shutting it down, whilst Pokemon such as Rotom-F can burn it, preventing it from doing much damage.

also I'm going to ask a GP member to look over this, so hold tight :)
Done. Thanks again, You have done great jobs on my work so far.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks Anty :] I went over this with Goddess Briyella and in addition to what I posted before, please add "respectively" add the end of the sentence mentioning Golurk and Sawk, like this: "Because of this, it also apreciates Ground- and Fighting-types such as Golurk and Sawk, respectively." This will make sure nobody confuses those two Pokemon as being Ground / Fighting-type. Also, I apologize for changing "heavy damage" since it was actually fine as it was, whichever you prefer though!

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Thanks Anty :] I went over this with Goddess Briyella and in addition to what I posted before, please add "respectively" add the end of the sentence mentioning Golurk and Sawk, like this: "Because of this, it also apreciates Ground- and Fighting-types such as Golurk and Sawk, respectively." This will make sure nobody confuses those two Pokemon as being Ground / Fighting-type. Also, I apologize for changing "heavy damage" since it was actually fine as it was, whichever you prefer though!
Confirming. Very well written. Good work, both of you. ♥

GP 2/2

Anty

let's drop
Done and thanks for all the work you have put in

Confirming. Very well written. Good work, both of you. ♥

GP 2/2
Thanks also

This is done now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)