Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grass is an okay secondary STAB, but it has a fantastic physical move pool to dip into even if you didn't wanna run it that way. X Scissor, EQ, and Low Kick are on the short list of options. I think it also gets Knock Off.
It's not Wood Hammer, but it doesn't need to be. It can also run mixed very well, using Leaf Storm in place of the grass physical STAB to hit things like Swamperts, Slowbros, and other bulky water types that are weak on the special side.
Unfortunately it really does need to be a Wood Hammer in order to be good. SD Mega Sceptile is walled and/or revenge killed by way too many pokemon to me considered a good sweeper. You're only going to sweep late-game when everything is very worn down and the revenge killer is dead, but that's dumb since you could have used Mega ZardX and swept mid-game. Let's just compare SD Mega Scept and DD ZardX, Zard is faster after it sets up, is significantly more powerful, has significantly more bulk, is immune to burns, it gets reliable recovery, is revenge killed by seldom revenge killers and banded Tflame's Brave Bird doesn't KO and only certain Scarfers can actually outspeed and KO after ZardX boosts and lastly very little walls Mega ZardX. Mega Sceptile is immune to priority Twave from Thund-I, significantly more things wall it, many more pokemon revenge kill it, particularly the ubiquitous Tflame, significantly weaker, it can't switch into a powerful neutral attack, and is not weak to SR. That's it. There is barely a reason to use SD Mega Sceptile when you could just use Mega Charizard X.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Outrage has impressive cleaning power after a boost and low kick allows it to fare well against things like Chansey which often thinks it's a hard stop to mega sceptile.
Minor detail, but STAB Outrage will hit Chansey a good bit harder than Low Kick. I'd still probably keep LK for Ferrothorn and Heatran, but it's not great against Chansey unless you're worried about being locked into Outrage.

Minor detail, but STAB Outrage will hit Chansey a good bit harder than Low Kick. I'd still probably keep LK for Ferrothorn and Heatran, but it's not great against Chansey unless you're worried about being locked into Outrage.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I should have clarified that it was beneficial because it doesn't lock you in and 2 hit KOs after a boost, which is a benefit when considering that mega sceptile is usually prey for stall teams (and this one still has trouble, albeit less, with Skarmory remaining a pain). You're right that low kick is really useful and the fact that this Sceptile boosts means it doesn't miss earthquake at all as low kick hits all relevant targets + a few extra. It's a bit harder to fit onto a team than what seems to be the standard sceptile atm but it's worked great for me because it still has a surprise factor right now, without being a gimmick.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
lol anyone noticing how good gothitelle and magnezone has become with the new megas? just look at swampert, altaria, salamence, metagross, lopunny, beedrill, sharpedo and diancie!! they all do insanely well these trappers, i will also predict dugtrio to become somewhat viable in ou again due to some off the new megas, damn this meta is gonna be FUN! #trappingou #ripshadowtagsoon

With all the Zone running around, especially in conjunction with Mega-Salamence I'm finding that Lanturn is pulling its weight even moreso than usual. Pretty awesome.

Also, Lanturn has decent synergy with Mega Salamence, as Heal Bell on Lanturn is really really nice (potentially freeing up a slot on MegaMence) and a very slow Volt Switch plus great bulk (remember, bulkier than equally invested Rotom-W!) and being a hard counter to Rotom-W, Magnezone, and Mega Manectric while countering/hard checking Greninja too is very nice.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah Goth is basically super good in the ORAS OU meta because it pairs up with a lot of the megas extremely well, which includes M-Mence + Magnezone being a lethal core that shuts down too many cores to count.
Metagross is not as good in practice as it is on paper. It hits hard but just not hard enough to get a clean KO. It has great bulk but lack of recovery means it still gets quickly worn down. Its a solid OU mon but I can't see it being top tier OU either. I have never done a full sweep with it nor has anyone ever done that to me. Swampert is in a similar boat although it does fair bit better than Metagross. It can 6-0 your team, although it needs to have someone else set the rain for you and to be in Mega form once it comes in. Until those conditions are met it can be crippled or lose enough hp so that it can't do its sweeping job. Its best left to the end of the game where your opposing team is not at full hp and your have already Mega evolved (but preserved its health). Under those conditions its a game winner.
Idk who exactly you played against but M-Gross is by far definitely a threat. It has a stupid amount of bulk, a fantastic stat spectrum to choose various options such as standard moves or not so standard to handle its supposed checks and counters, and Agility M-Gross is a crazy win condition with the right set up because it allows it run more bulk. Most people right now are just running pure physical sets which include Agility + 3 attacks or 4 attacks but once the meta settles and people try and go for the supposed checks to it like Quagsire, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory to name a few, you'll start seeing HP Fire and Grass Knot variants and from there on out it's going to be difficult to completely prepare for.

Last edited:
I'm really liking Porygon2 for a few reasons:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

First, it's as close to a Mega Salamence hard counter as you will ever get. Since Mega Salamence has so many different moves to hit hard, the best way to wall it is to just throw the bulkiest mixed wall that you can at it, and arm it with a super effective move.

252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 121-144 (32.3 - 38.5%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 82-97 (21.9 - 25.9%) -- 3.6% chance to 4HKO (if you switch in on the mega turn and trace intimidate)
252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 139-165 (37.1 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 296-352 (89.4 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (if you really want to guarantee the KO, you can, using download/analytic or some special attack EVs)

It's a good Greninja counter too, even with Low Kick / Gunk Shot:
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 138-164 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 109-127 (29.1 - 33.9%) -- 1.8% chance to 3HKO
And it gets Protean Bolt Beam out of it.

Also, it screws Magnezone. Any Scarf Magnezone not locked into Volt Switch, or any Specs Zone not locked into Volt Switch or Thunderbolt, gets reverse trapped with Trace and slowly killed. People are using Magnezone with even more stuff; Beedrill, Metagross, Swampert, etc.

Finally, it still walls a bunch more megas: Altaria, Beedrill, Glalie (and survive its explosion), Latios, Metagross, Pidgeot, Sceptile if it doesn't switch in on Focus Blast, Salamence, Sharpedo, Steelix and Swampert even in their respective weathers.
+1 252+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 163-193 (43.5 - 51.6%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 118-141 (31.5 - 37.7%) -- 88.9% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 130-154 (36.7 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Pixilate Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 150-178 (42.3 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 112-132 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- 21.1% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 216-255 (57.7 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
If you predict it and recover, it's not all that terrible.

252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 172-204 (45.9 - 54.5%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 120-142 (32 - 37.9%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross: 62-74 (20.5 - 24.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Yeah you should probably just paralyze it and switch out.

252 SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 129-153 (34.4 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 129-153 (34.4 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 160-189 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 135-160 (36 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 198-234 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Focus Blast might look like a problem, but it won't stop Porygon2 if it switches in on any other move (or if it misses once)
0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sceptile: 308-364 (109.6 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 118-139 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 81.3% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Sand Force Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2 in Sand: 141-166 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
You'll probably have to spam recover until the sand runs out since it's so close, but with Porygon2 being faster, it makes spamming recover a lot less risky because you know when you need to recover.

252+ Atk Swampert Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 166-196 (44.3 - 52.4%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2 in Rain: 126-148 (33.6 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 103-123 (27.5 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
This one is risky because Porygon2 barely does any damage back. And the more turns it takes for Porygon2 to kill Swampert, the more risk you run of flinch hax. Toxic would be pretty handy for this matchup because of that.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I know this will probably be a vgc thing only, but Special or Mixed mega mence sounds dangerous too. It gets Hyper Voice remember, which is slightly weaker than Draco Meteor after aerialate with no drawbacks. Spike Stacking will be important for it to get passed P2 and Conkeldurr might be a very good P2 punisher to run along side mence. Idk, I am just theorymonning at this point, but I may put this to the test this weekend.

Sableye @ Sableite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
think i shared this before, but not sure, so might as well share again. basically, this set breaks the living fuck out of stall, because it is not only a bulky sweeper, but its immune to status moves and phazing. dark is a phenomenal mono-attacking type, because nothing is immune to it. sub is the icing on the cake, since then it cant be troll scalded when it sets up prankster sub. once it sets up this sub, its free to CM its way to ultimate power/bulk. ill make a more coherent post when i do some more testing.

Last edited:

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
think i shared this before, but not sure, so might as well share again. basically, this set breaks the living fuck out of stall, because it is not only a bulky sweeper, but its immune to status moves and phazing. dark is a phenomenal mono-attacking type, because nothing is immune to it and it has a flinch chance. sub is the icing on the cake, since then it cant be troll scalded when it sets up prankster sub. once it sets up this sub, its free to CM its way to ultimate power/bulk. ill make a more coherent post when i do some more testing.
Minor nitpick, but when are you ever going to be flinching with dark pulse when sableye's speed is so shit?

P2 is a nice counter and all but it's so goddamn bad from my experience in using it. It's just way too passive and it hardly does anything besides take hits. It's almost as bad of a momentum killer as Chansey, although luckily T-wave stop you from being setup fodder.

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
think i shared this before, but not sure, so might as well share again. basically, this set breaks the living fuck out of stall, because it is not only a bulky sweeper, but its immune to status moves and phazing. dark is a phenomenal mono-attacking type, because nothing is immune to it. sub is the icing on the cake, since then it cant be troll scalded when it sets up prankster sub. once it sets up this sub, its free to CM its way to ultimate power/bulk. ill make a more coherent post when i do some more testing.
Wouldn't 101 subs be something worth while here? Just out of curiousity.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
I feel like will-o over sub and shadow ball over dark pulse works a little better. Wisp just for physical attackers and makes it even tougher to take down. Shadow ball just cuz nicer coverage & nicer secondary effect.
50 base hp :/

Those are impossible for Sableye to make; it cannot reach 404 HP or higher, which is needed to create 101 HP Substitutes. It is immune to Seismic Toss from Chansey though, and not that many people use Night Shade on anything anyways.

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
Definately will-o over sub but yeah that is a scary threat for stall. Even if sabeleye had 404 hp it wouldnt need sub. Another option is to use taunt over will o wisp to make pure support mons struggle.

I still would prefer mega diancie for a magic bouncer for the speed and power.

I'm an idiot. I was thinking 50 hit 404. Got it mixed up with 100. Still, wouldnt you want an even number to get the most from your subs?

Disregard its 76 hp either way. 248 it is.

Last edited:
I'm an idiot. I was thinking 50 hit 404. Got it mixed up with 100. Still, wouldnt you want an even number to get the most from your subs?
No you want a mumber that is one more than a mumber divisible by four. Such as 201 or 241 that lets you get maximum amount of sub/sr switch ins / recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)