Pokémon Slowbro

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Slowbro was already a solid pokémon in OU and in ORAS he gets a mega evolution.

Typing: Water/Psychic
Ability: Oblivion / Own Tempo / Regenerator --> Shell Armor
Stats: 95/75/110/100/80/30 --> 95/75/180/130/80/30

Notables Moves:
Calm Mind
Curse
Fire Blast
Focus Blast
Grass Knot
Ice Beam
Psychic
Psyshock

Rest
Scald
Slack Off
Sleep Talk
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Trick Room

So Slowbro was already a solid OU mon and Regenerator helped him doing his job as a physical wall very well. Mega Slowbro got a great buff in Defense and Special Attack and paired up with Calm Mind is can become a terrifying pokémon to face, which is even before mega evolving, very useful. Shell Armor may seem bad, but with the Calm Mind sets, you don't have to worry about those crits anymore.

Possible Sets:

CroBro
Slowbro @ Slowbroite
Ability: Oblivious / Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA OR 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald

This is the set you will probably face the most. 130 Special Attack combined with Calm Mind makes it really hard to break. However, this set can be beaten by either mons who don't give anything about Scald (Mega Sceptile, Toxicroak, Gastrodon, Vaporeon) so those pokémon need to be beaten before trying to sweep. But thanks to Regenerator Slowbro is still useful before mega-evolving

CMBro
Slowbro @ Slowbroite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA OR 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Scald

This set is pretty much the same as the one before, but there are some differences. This set can, thanks to Psyshock, not easily be walled by things that 4x resist it (Kingdra, Mega Sceptile) or are immune to it (Vaporeon, Toxicroak) The main disadvantage over the CroBro set is that it is worn down by Toxic pretty easy, and due to the lack of rest you can't take that away. This can be solved by a user of Heal Bell or Aromatherapy, or predict another status like Burn and switch into that. The CroBro set is more reliable, but with more coverage, this one is probably better when played well

Offensive Bro
Slowbro @ Slowbroite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA or 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Bold / Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

I have encountered this set a few time and it is in my opinion not as strong as the Calm Mind sets. However, the coverage is nice and a Fire Blast can come in very unexpected. The set works pretty much the same as the standard Slowbro set. It is a great wall and has a good supporting function with Thunder Wave and his nice coverage (not much resist Psychic + Water + Ice)

Conclusion:
Mega Slowbro can be really hard to wear down thanks to it's reliable recovery (Slack Off) and the fact he doesn't give a damn about status (Rest)
I managed to kill it a few times with a T-Wave + Taunt Thundurus where Taunt cripples Slowbro. However, after SR a +1 Scald can OHKO and when Taunt is predicted, Slowbro can just taunt and kill it the next turn as Thunderbolt won't kill without prior damage. So even a Taunt user with a supereffective STAB can't always kill Slowbro.

Tips Against Slowbro: Never let him set up to many Calm Minds. He can't be critted so after 2 Calm Mind boosts it's often gg (unless you have Breloom, M-Hera etc. but who uses CM if they are still in the game) Also, a combination of a water resist (not Azu, because burn hurts) + Toxic can really hurt it. As the water resist can beat the Resttalk Bro and Toxic can beat the SlackOff Bro.

Tips With Slowbro: Don't set up too early in the game. Always make sure possible counters are killed before setting up as they can end a (late game) sweep before more than 1 pokémon dies. Don't be afraid of letting him spread burns with scald before going mega. His pre-mega ability is awesome and make him a powerful pokémon before Mega / Calm Mind.

Last edited:
I think Oblivious should be mentioned on the CroBro and CMBro sets because it prevents being susceptible to taunt before mega evolution. If you're switching Slowbro in, you've likely already taken out it's checks and counters, so regenerator seems more or less insignificant if you won't be switching out before mega evolution. Oblivious will at least prevent somebody from predicting your switch, and setting up taunt when you come in.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
crobro atm is probably the best set i can think of, it walls an insane amount of things with its ridiculous base defense and therefore has the possibility to set up calm minds very easily. it is just a better suicune, with its good base Satk and better physical bulk it has more staying power on phyisical attackers, of course it lacks special defense but this is patched up by its facility to setup. oh, and it can't be critted

Could also mention the Scald/Iron Defence/Calm Mind/Rest set that someone posted in the big ORAS Mega thread (sorry, can't remember your username!). Obviously has more shortcomings in that you are a sitting duck for three turns while sleeping, but it looked damn annoying under the right circumstances from the replays they posted.

Also does Slowbro not have an OU thread already?

Mega sets should definitely run Oblivious over Regenerator. Slowbro forces tons of switches and if they can waste several turns trying to Taunt you to prevent you setting up and this ends up being their downfall. Particularly against Mega Sableye for example. It will waste a turn using Wow or Taunt and you'll have at least one CM in before he attempts to Dark Pulse or whatever on you.

silver97

Mega sets should definitely run Oblivious over Regenerator. Slowbro forces tons of switches and if they can waste several turns trying to Taunt you to prevent you setting up and this ends up being their downfall. Particularly against Mega Sableye for example. It will waste a turn using Wow or Taunt and you'll have at least one CM in before he attempts to Dark Pulse or whatever on you.
yeah on calm mind sets oblivious can be very helpful; however regenerator can be helpful too, giving the possibility to pivot in on some physical attacks and if you can't afford to get asleep you can just switch out without mega evolving, but dunno maybe this is too situational

Regenerator is only useful if you intend to use a near all offensive Bro set as a pivot into physical moves, in which case you may as well just stick with regular bro and Leftovers to really abuse Regenerator. MegaBro is best used as a set up mon thanks to Shell Armor and its great recovery. Oblivious helps it accomplish this specific goal.

yeah on calm mind sets oblivious can be very helpful; however regenerator can be helpful too, giving the possibility to pivot in on some physical attacks and if you can't afford to get asleep you can just switch out without mega evolving, but dunno maybe this is too situational
I understand exactly what you mean, but I still believe oblivious is equally as viable at least. One of them each brings something entirely different to the table. I only pointed it out because you only have regenerator listed on the sets

SketchUp

Changed the OP a bit (added Oblivious to the Slack Off and CroBro set) I'm keeping the Regenerator as an option because in some situations it is better than Oblivious as you can use it as a pivot early in the game, but that often depends on the other 5 teammates

Changed the OP a bit (added Oblivious to the Slack Off and CroBro set) I'm keeping the Regenerator as an option because in some situations it is better than Oblivious as you can use it as a pivot early in the game, but that often depends on the other 5 teammates
Regenerator is absolutely useful. I'd say Oblivious and Regenerator are more or less equals in terms of usefulness on any setup set. It all depends on what your team can provide and what they struggle against

Regenerator is absolutely useful. I'd say Oblivious and Regenerator are more or less equals in terms of usefulness on any setup set. It all depends on what your team can provide and what they struggle against
I completely agree with this. Regenerator seems to be the slightly better ability imo; in case you mispredict a switch and get hurt, you can easily switch out and regain HP. When it comes to Taunt ruining your set up, well, not every team is likely to carry it and in the event that a mon does carry it, what common Pokemon learns Taunt?

Gengar is one that comes to mind, but it'd rather fire a Shadow Ball straight toward Slowbro's face.

Sash Terrakion prolly wouldn't want to stay in on it just to taunt the Bro.

Mew, imo, looks to be the best taunt mon that will actually attempt to taunt the bro and not attack it/fail to dent it. From there, it can slowly stall out Slowbro w/ Night Shade/Seismic Toss (becuz Knock Off does crap damage; I didn't calc it but I did calc max Atk Adamant Bisharp's Knock Off. That shit's a 3HKO iirc, so one can safely assume that Mew's Knock Off isn't going to do much) and WoW.

Next possible taunt mon would be Thundurus, but like Gengar, it'd rather smack it with a super effective STAB attack than go for a Taunt.

Atm, I can't think of any other possible taunt users, but the point is most taunt users wouldn't really want to taunt Slowbro, bar Mew. I might've left out a few taunt users, just so you guys know.

I completely agree with this. Regenerator seems to be the slightly better ability imo; in case you mispredict a switch and get hurt, you can easily switch out and regain HP. When it comes to Taunt ruining your set up, well, not every team is likely to carry it and in the event that a mon does carry it, what common Pokemon learns Taunt?

Gengar is one that comes to mind, but it'd rather fire a Shadow Ball straight toward Slowbro's face.

Mew, imo, looks to be the best taunt mon that will actually attempt to taunt the bro and not attack it/fail to dent it. From there, it can slowly stall out Slowbro w/ Night Shade/Seismic Toss (becuz Knock Off does crap damage; I didn't calc it but I did calc max Atk Adamant Bisharp's Knock Off. That shit's a 3HKO iirc, so one can safely assume that Mew's Knock Off isn't going to do much) and WoW.

Next possible taunt mon would be Thundurus, but like Gengar, it'd rather smack it with a super effective STAB attack than go for a Taunt.

Atm, I can't think of any other possible taunt users, but the point is most taunt users wouldn't really want to taunt Slowbro, bar Mew. I might've left out a few taunt users, just so you guys know.
The only issue with that is that you can't slap those pokemon with a SE move since you should only be running oblivious on a setup set. Regenerator should be the only choice on an offensive set. But the RestTalk and Slack Off sets should also consider oblivious and taunt can completely cripple most of their set.

silver97

there are actually a lot of pokemon that can use taunt in OU.
gliscor is one common user that you didn't mention and with specially defensive investment it can tank a scald from bro.
mega gyara can use it in a dd+taunt set that is useful to create setup opportunity, and this is one case, transforming bro in a setup bait.
heatran and skarmory sometimes can carry it.
greninja can run it coupled with spikes.
mandibuzz keldeo and talonflame also can carry it but it is more rare.

there are actually a lot of pokemon that can use taunt in OU.
gliscor is one common user that you didn't mention and with specially defensive investment it can tank a scald from bro.
mega gyara can use it in a dd+taunt set that is useful to create setup opportunity, and this is one case, transforming bro in a setup bait.
heatran and skarmory sometimes can carry it.
greninja can run it coupled with spikes.
mandibuzz keldeo and talonflame also can carry it but it is more rare.
On my phone atm so I gotta make this short.

Greninja doesn't have room for Taunt; it can KO w/ Grass Knot anyway. Keldeo doesn't have room for Taunt.

I do agree w/ u on gyarados to an extent but it can't break thru Bro too easily even at +1. That and he risks getting a burn from Scald.

I agree w/ SpD Gliscor handling the Bro but not so much Heatran. It can get worn down by Scald. The same also applies to Talonflame (might be wrong tho; plz calc Scald on Stallbreaker Talonflame).

Also, Regenerator also works for set up variants still; it can be useful when a misprediction is made.

Will elaborate more l8r.

SketchUp

Greninja doesn't have room for Taunt; it can KO w/ Grass Knot anyway. Keldeo doesn't have room for Taunt.
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 351-413 (89 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I do agree w/ u on gyarados to an extent but it can't break thru Bro too easily even at +1. That and he risks getting a burn from Scald.
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I agree w/ SpD Gliscor handling the Bro but not so much Heatran. It can get worn down by Scald.
+1 0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 300-354 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The same also applies to Talonflame (might be wrong tho; plz calc Scald on Stallbreaker Talonflame).
+1 0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 294-348 (81.8 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Greninja is indeed a good way to kill it, IF it has not set up yet and it can set up when you switch Greninja into it as he uses Calm Mind (however his scald won't hit hard at +1)
Gyarados is indeed shaky as it can't afford getting burned and the sub gyara's lack coverage for other pokemon
Gliscor gets OHKO'd 80% at the time after rocks if you come in and he uses Calm Mind. At +0 he can't use CM because Taunt and Scald is then only a 3HKO factoring in poison heal. Protect / Roost makes it even harder for Slowbro
Pretty much the same for Talonflame. It can't come in because Slowbro can Calm Mind and even without a boost it is a 2HKO

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
i really think that crobro might work better than cm bro just because even tho it's mono-attacker scald does a ton of damage to anything and you get rid of your status by using rest thing that slack off is not able to do. only taunt users can beat this wall 1v1 simply because they prevent slowbro to setup and heal back its health and status

silver97

i know that many of the pokemon listed are hurted by slowbro's scald, but the fact is that many of them can be seen as setup fodders for bro so you can taunt it, prevent the setup and then comfortably switch out to something that can deal with it when unboosted.
greninja is actually an amazing offensive spikes setter and it does the job even better if you give it taunt, of course you won't need it vs bro if you carry grass knot.
i've been trying taunt+3 attacks LO keldeo lately and it was pretty fun to use, the specs set is too abused and everyone expect it so everyone carries multiple checks and counters (even if it still absolutely viable), so i don't agree with you when you say that keldeo doesn't have rooms for taunt

Alrighty! I now have access to my computer; elaboration time!

regenerator can be helpful too, giving the possibility to pivot in on some physical attacks and if you can't afford to get asleep you can just switch out without mega evolving
This is kind of what I was implying; the ability to pivot in and out of attacks when need be. Take Crocune for example; it can function not only as a sweeper but as a physical wall, setting up when the time is right. That's the direction I was going with Crobro, except that no Leftovers recovery sux. The next best thing would be Regenerator; you can function as a wall for the time being until the conditions are right and have a way of recovery when it's not time to set up. Do you guys get my drift?

i know that many of the pokemon listed are hurted by slowbro's scald, but the fact is that many of them can be seen as setup fodders for bro so you can taunt it, prevent the setup and then comfortably switch out to something that can deal with it when unboosted.
greninja is actually an amazing offensive spikes setter and it does the job even better if you give it taunt, of course you won't need it vs bro if you carry grass knot.
i've been trying taunt+3 attacks LO keldeo lately and it was pretty fun to use, the specs set is too abused and everyone expect it so everyone carries multiple checks and counters (even if it still absolutely viable), so i don't agree with you when you say that keldeo doesn't have rooms for taunt
Kind of off topic here, but Greninja has no need for Taunt imo. It's offensive presence alone gives it opportunities to set up Spikes, thus it has no need for Taunt. Also, I've never seen Taunt + 3 attacks LO Keldeo (not saying its horrible; it sounds fantastic imo) but it's not like it can actually threaten the Bro in any other way besides HP Electric or something. Slowbro can wall its STABs and if it has an EV spread of 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD, it can always avoid a 2HKO from Hydro Pump regardless of SR.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Oh, I forgot that Gyarados could learn Crunch, my bad. But without Crunch, (Mega) Gyarados won't be able to break through Slowbro (though let's be real here; it's going to run Crunch most of the time).

maybe this is too situational
Both Oblivious and Regenerator are both situational imo. It's all about which one would be more useful in most situations (i.e. Chlorophyll on Venusaur in case if Megazard Y is out etc.).

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
ive been trying this set and i gotta say that worked out really well

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Slack Off

basically nothing bar toxic or many paras in a row are able to weak this thing down. after spamming iron defense you can setup on mence's face as you can see from these calcs

252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 111-132 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 93.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 234-276 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

on bisharp too

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 140-166 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

you only need +2 to ohko the 4 hp one: +2 0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 289-342 (106.2 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

CMBro
Slowbro @ Slowbroite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psyshock / Ice Beam
- Scald
I like this one, it allows you to proper set in teams where Quasire and Gastrodon can Counter-Toxic, and a least heavy damage them with a pair of Calm Mind sets.
Greninja is still a problem, tough.

For abilities I go all way with Oblivious, knowing this set can be more effective with Calm Mind abuse, Taunting can be countered and turn can be used to boost and Megaevolve.

Ok, so at first I was like "lol Iron defense? Why would you bother with that when you already have 180 defense?" I mean, RestTalk and Psyshock both seem like much better options. Rest means you can shrug off status and psyshock lets you win CM wars and hit water absorb/dry skin pokemon. Most physical attackers aren't going to threaten you anyway. But then I did these calcs:

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 280-340 (71 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 150-180 (38 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 288-342 (73 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 150-180 (38 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

A single ID on the switch turns solid checks into set-up fodder. It'll also have ultility against enemies that can't do as much damage to Slowbro if it isn't at full health when it starts to set up. Doubly true since you can't be critted. Of course, I still feel that toxic is more common, making Rest/Talk the preferred set imo, but this definitely has its niche.

SketchUp

You shouldn't try to set up when M-Hera or Breloom is still on the field, wasting a moveslot is not worth it as better coverage helps you more than that. Just pair bro with things that can threaten M-Hera, Breloom and such things like Talonflame or Scarf Gothitelle

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
Ok, so at first I was like "lol Iron defense? Why would you bother with that when you already have 180 defense?" I mean, RestTalk and Psyshock both seem like much better options. Rest means you can shrug off status and psyshock lets you win CM wars and hit water absorb/dry skin pokemon. Most physical attackers aren't going to threaten you anyway. But then I did these calcs:

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 280-340 (71 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 150-180 (38 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 288-342 (73 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 150-180 (38 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

A single ID on the switch turns solid checks into set-up fodder. It'll also have ultility against enemies that can't do as much damage to Slowbro if it isn't at full health when it starts to set up. Doubly true since you can't be critted. Of course, I still feel that toxic is more common, making Rest/Talk the preferred set imo, but this definitely has its niche.
yeah i agree, rest slowbro is definitely one of the best sets even tho mine was made to wall mega salamence and beat that 1v1

silver97

It's not a pivot, it's a sweeper, it's almost unbreakable, even without attack investment hits really hard, has reliable recovery, the crobro set forces everyone to run a magnezone etc.
that's what i said, it can't be a pivot as good as it is in it's normal form. i agree that it is an awesome wincon, but it can be stopped rather easily by offensive teams with taunts and strong special attacks so imo is not that broken, but as i said before this is just theorymon we'll have to wait until oras comes out to see how actually it will be in the meta

It can be taunted, phazed, toxicked (if not running rest) or just hit with something hard. The set-up also takes a couple of turns to get going and make it unbeatable (once the taunters, phazers and toxic users are gone) allowing you to set up in turn. It's obviously very good at what it does, but the ways you can easily get around it and the slow set up (pretty much advertising you to get your m-Slowbro contigency plan in right now) doesn't make it overpowered for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)