Pokémon Salamence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salamence is one of my favorite Pokemon; even though its mega got Quick Banned, it's still viable in niche roles.

Types: Dragon / Flying
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
Stats: 95 / 135 / 80 / 110 / 80 / 100

Useful Moves (Stabs are in Bold)
Dragon Dance
Roost
Outrage
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Claw

Double Edge
Earthquake
Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Pursuit
Roar
Iron Tail?
Refresh
Hydro Pump
Substitute

Given much raw power it was banned to Ubers in gen IV, and a fantastic ability in Moxie in Gen V, this mon went down to UU because of the new weakness to fairy types, and because Dragonite could set up better with its superior bulk in its ability Multiscale. With OR/AS came the monster known as Mega Mence, who was so overpowered it got a quick ban to Ubers (Where it now currently resides at S-Rank). Normal Mence now resides as more of a niche user, mostly outclassed by the bulkier Dragonite.

Pros:

-Extremely powerful offensive behemoth with the stats to back it up

-Fantastic ability in Moxie, boosting its attack after a KO.​

-Reliable Recovery and decent Stat boosting moves

-Solid mixed attacker with good coverage move in Fire Blast.

Cons:

-Glaring 4x ice weakness, Stealth rock weakness, and Fairy Type is immune to Dragon.

-Good, but not really great HP and Special Defense.

-Misses out on Swords Dance

Possible Movesets:

Need some suggestions guys, tell me some good sets!

TL;DR:
This thing is an offensive-oriented version of dragonite, sacrificing bulk for offensive power.

Last edited:
the first set is the seet i most interested in, my set is similar excpt no Fire Blast as if Salamence is paired with trapper Agnezone then there is no need for FB. EVs need tweaking. 216 speed EVs would give it 363 speed with a Naive nature after megavoluton. this outspeeds all base positive 115s including threats threats such as the Lati twins.
ive ben toying with a bulkier set but cant quite nail down the right combination of HP and offense. Also Draco Meteor > Outrage for the simple fact that you cant get locked into it, alowing them to revenge kill.

I used a bulky sub DD set with roost and return and it could set up in many 'mons, specially stuff like Rotom-W which would try burning it while it would sub. I'll check the spread and post it here later.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
On phone ATM so only a small suggestion: if an all out attacker set is made, facade is a nice option to take advantage of burns and other statuses.

I have been using this set on PS and it's pretty good (saw it on the ORAS speculation thread):

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 92 Atk / 88 SpD / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Substitute

You can put up a sub on a predicted WoW from something like Rotom-W and get a free DD as Volt Switch won't break your sub. You can also set up on non-Roar Heatran and even scarf Lando-T if you already are at +1 speed, as you can stall it out of stone edges with roost + sub. Return at +1 can actually 2HKO Rotom-W after SR and it deals a ton of damage against SpD Heatran.
It's just too easy to set up with this 'mon, specially if you have volt switch/U-turn support.

I have been using this set on PS and it's pretty good (saw it on the ORAS speculation thread):

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 168 HP / 92 Atk / 88 SpD / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Substitute

You can put up a sub on a predicted WoW from something like Rotom-W and get a free DD as Volt Switch won't break your sub. You can also set up on non-Roar Heatran and even scarf Lando-T if you already are at +1 speed, as you can stall it out of stone edges with roost + sub. Return at +1 can actually 2HKO Rotom-W after SR and it deals a ton of damage against SpD Heatran.
It's just too easy to set up with this 'mon, specially if you have volt switch/U-turn support.
That's actually pretty cool; adding it to the OP

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
i don't know why we are discussing this lol it will be banned.
anyway in DD sets we should also consider hydro pump as a coverage move cause it hits rhyperior that is probably the only counter or at least one of the few, and it also does good damage to skarmory. It is an inferior choice and more situational but i think it is worth mentioning it

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm a big fan of MixMence, as a lure and mixed wallbreaker. Frustration/EQ/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast hits hard from both sides of the spectrum. With 208 SpA EVs you have a guaranteed OHKO on Skarmory and Ferro after SR with Fire Blast, and Draco Meteor does 70-95% on common physical walls that otherwise stop you such as Hippowdon, Rhyperior, defensive Rotom-W and Slowbro. Meanwhile Frustration and EQ hit special walls hard (and Frustration is a very spammable move).

You can also bluff a physical set to lure out those walls.

I especially like it paired with a sweeper that appreciates physical walls being broken down, such as Sand Rush Excadrill.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

(Alternately you can drop down as low as 216 Speed EVs and put the extra 36 EVs in Attack.)

I'm a big fan of MixMence, as a lure and mixed wallbreaker. Frustration/EQ/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast hits hard from both sides of the spectrum. With 208 SpA EVs you have a guaranteed OHKO on Skarmory and Ferro after SR with Fire Blast, and Draco Meteor does 70-95% on common physical walls that otherwise stop you such as Hippowdon, Rhyperior, defensive Rotom-W and Slowbro. Meanwhile Frustration and EQ hit special walls hard (and Frustration is a very spammable move).

You can also bluff a physical set to lure out those walls.

I especially like it paired with a sweeper that appreciates physical walls being broken down, such as Sand Rush Excadrill.

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

(Alternately you can drop down as low as 216 Speed EVs and put the extra 36 EVs in Attack.)
I'm assuming Frustration is against Dittos.

Will add it to the OP

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, whenever I have a choice between Frustration and Return I always pick the former. Hasn't come up for me yet as an issue in an actual match, but..... one day.

Roost is mentioned twice.
I think sub should be added to the list of useful moves, perhaps slashed next to refresh, because although it takes some precious hp away, it does give you a better chance to set up without wasting a turn to refresh.

On the sub DD set add a line saying that in case you face Lando-T try to keep using roost and sub if you are at +1 speed, as you can stall it's Stone Edge and use it as a set up 'mon.

Idk how important it is but the set that has dd roost return and sub was a set made by halcyon and imanalt. Just wanted to make sure they got credit

MixMence

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe OR 84 Atk / 208 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

The famed MixMence. Happiness is at 0 and Frustration is used over Return, because when a Ditto transformed into Salamence its happiness is usually at max, making Frustration quite weak. All 4 moves hit hard, both Physically and Specially. 208 SpA EVs allow you to OHKO a large variety, and Draco Meteor dishes out huge amounts of damage to other physical walls. On the physical side, Frustration has that Aerilate boosted STAB, and EQ helps out against threats like Heatran, where Fire Blast has no effect.
I don't really see the point of going through the process of changing your happiness on this set just to counter Ditto due to Draco Meteor being an option for Ditto to revenge you. The other, more physical sets make good use of this, though.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Ditto can still revenge you, but it can't keep spamming meteor the way it could potentially spam return. It is more a protection for the rest of your team then it is to prevent you from being revenge killed. That said, I don't think it really makes too much of a difference. Showdown automatically adjusts happiness, so use whatever works for you.

I don't really see the point of going through the process of changing your happiness on this set just to counter Ditto due to Draco Meteor being an option for Ditto to revenge you. The other, more physical sets make good use of this, though.
It significantly lowers ditto's main attack option preventing a sweep. Frustration becomes 1 base power as apposed to 102 base power, this way when ditto comes in on salamence you can safely bring in a fairy.

But it ain't like ditto can't just adjust their happiness..

Last edited:

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
frustration prevents the sweep but it isn't that relevant since it is difficult to see a ditto in high level battles. tbh if i had to put a ditto in my team i would give it 0 happiness because everyone uses frustration now.

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
i really like this set which i got from Klobb

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Atk / 140 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Refresh
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost

basically you can setup on rotom-w's face without fearing the burn and once you reaveal refresh you'll be at +1/2 (they could pain split fearing the return) and sweep most of the teams if you get rocks up

i really like this set which i got from Klobb

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Atk / 140 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Refresh
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Roost

basically you can setup on rotom-w's face without fearing the burn and once you reaveal refresh you'll be at +1/2 (they could pain split fearing the return) and sweep most of the teams if you get rocks up
I like the set but however it is a lot like the sub DD set already in the OP. Imo substitute is the better status blocker considering it can prevent a surprise OHKO

frustration prevents the sweep but it isn't that relevant since it is difficult to see a ditto in high level battles. tbh if i had to put a ditto in my team i would give it 0 happiness because everyone uses frustration now.
Then people will start using return again. Then it will become a 50/50 on whether you're opponent will use frustration or return.

As for salamence, it's a great pokemon. I feel like the best set would probably be mixed set like someone else pointed out because the Dragon Dance set has 4 move slot syndrome.

-DD
-Frustration/Return
-earthquake
-Fireblast

Loses to Rotom-W

-DD
-Frustration/Return
-Earthquake
-Outrage

Loses to skamory

-DD
-Frustration/Return
-outrage
-Fireblast

Loses to Heatran

And the Sub DD set has a lot of coverage issues. There are probably other pokemon that these sets loses to but those or the main ones.

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
I like the set but however it is a lot like the sub DD set already in the OP. Imo substitute is the better status blocker considering it can prevent a surprise OHKO
i agree you can also dodge a sucker from bisharp after getting off the intimidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)