Aurorus [QC 2/3] Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

QC: galbia / Anty / --

Overview
########
  • Access to Freeze-Dry
  • Good offensive coverage typing that hits most things in the tier for neutral damage or more
  • Good movepool
  • Good ability in Refrigerate
  • Decent mixed offensive capabilities
  • Horrible defensive typing
  • Mediocre Speed
Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Freeze-Dry
move 4: Earth Power
ability: Refrigerate
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Stealth Rock is useful hazard move for any team
  • Hyper Voice is its most powerful Refrigerate-boosted STAB move
  • Freeze-Dry for Bulky Water types, notably Poliwrath
  • Earth Power for the Steel types like Klang and Bastiodon that resist Ice STAB, as well as Fire-types
  • Substitute is an option if your team already has Stealth Rock
Set Details
========
  • Given EVs and Nature maximise speed and power
  • Life Orb to give Aurorus a good boost in power, but Focus Sash can be used for it to be a more reliable lead

Usage Tips
========
  • Aurorus is faster than many other stealth rockers in the tier, so it's a good choice for a lead
  • Its STAB moves and coverage also allow it to beat many other leads one on one
  • Getting Stealth Rock up should be the priority most of the time
  • Watch out for Taunt leads such as Barbaracle and Kricketune which outspeed it and can prevent it from getting Stealth Rock up

Team Options
========
  • Misdreavus and Gourgeist are good choices as partners to this set. They spin block the rocks that Aurorus sets up as a lead
  • Both are immune to Fighting. Misdreavus is immune to Ground while Gourgeist resists both Ground and Water. Gourgeist also helps deal with bulky Waters that may be a little annoying to get past
  • Poliwrath and Togetic are good partners synergy wise

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Iron Tail
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========
  • Return is Aurorus's most powerful and reliable Ice STAB
  • Stone Edge for secondary STAB, and hits opposing Ice types
  • Earthquake for Steel types
  • Zen Headbutt to hit Poliwrath that would otherwise take on this set pretty well
  • Iron Tail hits Fairy-types as well as securing the guaranteed 2HKO on Piloswine
  • Aqua Tail is a an option with better accuracy but requires Stealth Rock to 2HKO Piloswine

Set Details
========
  • Max Attack and Speed EVs are a must
  • Jolly can be used to outspeed a few things like Adamant Fraxure but Adamant is preferred
  • Choice Band makes it a good surprise wallbreaker

Usage Tips
========
  • Not much to say here, you switch Aurorus into something that can't really hurt it like Dodrio, and hit something as hard as a truck
  • Aurorus typically lure in Specially Defensive Pokemon such as Lickilicky. Taking banded hits will severely weaken them or knock them out
  • Many physical walls do not appreciate taking those hits either

Team Options
========
  • Both physical and special sweepers can take advantage of this set's wallbreaking capabilities, such as the removal of Tangela and Lickilicky
  • Bulky Waters like Poliwrath make good partners as they not only cover a bunch of each others' weaknesses, but they lure in things like Tangela and Gourgeist, allowing Aurorus to nuke something

Rock Polish
########
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Return
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Freeze-Dry
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========
  • Rock Polish increases Aurorus's speed by two stages for potential late game cleaning
  • Return + Refrigerate is a strong and reliable Ice type STAB move
  • Stone Edge for Rock type STAB to hit most types that resist Ice
  • Earthquake is a good coverage option if you want to hit Steel-types that wall Aurorus otherwise
  • Freeze-Dry for hitting things like Poliwrath that may try to switch in on it

Set Details
========
  • Hasty nature with the given EVs maximise physical attack and speed, allowing it to outspeed things such as Scarfed Rotom-F at +2
  • Life Orb gives Aurorus's moves a much needed boost in power
  • Refrigerate for Return

Usage Tips
========
  • Bring Aurorus in on opposing Pokemon which will be forced to switch out such as Dodrio and Rotom-F
  • Ensure pokemon that can take its dual STABs comfortably, such as Klang and Bastiodon, have been significantly weakened before attempting to set up

Team Options
========
  • Bulky water types can take Steel type and Water type moves heading for Aurorus
  • Poliwrath in particular takes on three of Aurorus's weaknesses, while Aurorus resists Flying moves that severely damage Poliwrath
  • Bulky Fairy types such as Togetic to resist the Fighting type moves targeted at Aurorus
  • Togetic also provides a slow Baton Pass that gives Aurorus a safe switch-in, as well as being able to pass SpA boosts. It can also Defog away entry hazards which Aurorus does not like
  • Entry hazard support from Roselia helps to weaken the opposing team to be within range of an OHKO or 2HKO. Allows for an easier late-game sweep.
  • Rapid Spinner/Defogger as Aurorus is weak to Stealth Rock and hazards in general

Other Options
########
  • A Sub Calm Mind set is viable as it forces a number of switches with its STAB and coverage moves, allowing it to set up free subs
  • Choice Specs is a decent item on Aurorus as it allows it to break through special walls such as Lickilicky
  • Thunder Wave to cripple switch ins
  • Flash Cannon is viable to hit Piloswine decently hard
  • Encore is useful to lock defensive Pokemon into support moves, or stop those that try to set up on Aurorus

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: Throh and Poliwrath that can take a hit and phaze or knock Auorus out with Circle Throw

**Priority moves**: A number of priority moves are super effective on Aurorus and can pose a problem to it, such as Vacuum Wave from Poliwrath. Other priority moves like Sucker Punch from Mightyena and Shadow Sneak from Dusknoir can deal a lot of damage as well

**Defensive Pokemon**: Specially defensive Lickilicky can stall out and beat all the special sets. Prinplup beats all Aurorus sets with its bulk in conjunction with Scald.

**Faster Pokemon**: Many Pokemon that are naturally faster than Aurorus can outspeed and knock it out. Even with a Rock Polish up, scarfers with base 95 speed and above can still outspeed and threaten it, mainly Earthquake Tauros, Focus Blast Raichu, and Brick Break Scyther

Last edited:
Maybe make a mention of the fact that Nature Power bypasses Sucker Punch, because it's SO fun to make use of that. However, Taunt means you can't use your main STAB move, which really, really blows.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because you dont have anything for the last slot i recommend you put in frost breath:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Musharna on a critical hit: 210-247 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This could be crucial for stopping a mush/clefairy if they go on a cm boostfest

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know this is a WIP but Choice Band should definitely get a set as it hits like a truck and is completely unexpected, also I hear Rock Polish is pretty good but I'm indifferent on that set.

Eyan

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know this is a WIP but Choice Band should definitely get a set as it hits like a truck and is completely unexpected, also I hear Rock Polish is pretty good but I'm indifferent on that set.
yep I talked to galbia, Magnemite and some others on IRC yesterday and I will definitely be adding the choice band set when I have the time. The rock polish set was suggested but I'm unsure about what it even gets to set up on. galbia also suggested a life orb mixed set which sounds interesting but I'll need some opinions on its viability.

Because you dont have anything for the last slot i recommend you put in frost breath:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Musharna on a critical hit: 210-247 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This could be crucial for stopping a mush/clefairy if they go on a cm boostfest
Good point and there doesn't seem to be much else to run anyway since specs Aurorus doesn't really seem to need that much coverage. However, in the event that Musharna gets the boot, is having that move still worth it?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Rock Polish should definitely get a set; its STABs are really good against a large majority of fast Pokemon such as Ninetales, Serperior, Sneasel, Dodrio, Rotom-F, etc.. and its physical attacks (most notably its Rock STAB) are stronger against most of those targets like Ninetales, Rotom-F, and Mr. Mime. Rock Polish Aurorus can set up on the likes of Chatot, Dodrio, non-Fighting move Scyther, Purugly, Rotom-F, non-TWave Togetic, Haunter, and Vullaby, or simply threaten slower Pokes like Mantine, Gourgeist, Tangela, etc.. with the threat of powerful dual STABs + Freeze Dry.

Hidden Power Ground seems decent on Specs Aurorus so as to not give things like Bastiodon, Klang, and Metang free switch-ins.

I'm skeptical as to whether Choice Band should be a thing. Wallbreaking Aurorus has better matchups against the numerous slow walls in the tier if it is specially oriented, especially with its ability to shrug off burns and access to Freeze Dry, which is pretty big. Physical Aurorus, on the other hand, should aim to break down faster threats, since the majority of them are either physically frail or risk getting KOed by physical Aurorus's stronger attacks.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Eyan are you still working on this? You have 48 hours to finish this skeleton and move it to qc stage, or I'll allow someone else to pick it up.

Eyan

Yeah I was having exams which ends today. I'll be able to move it into QC by today most likely

Edit: OK I guess I'm moving this into QC. Probably missed out or messed up some things so all opinions welcome

Last edited:
okay oras is out so this needs a pretty big revamp. the main things are that earth power should be used over hp ground and hyper voice should be used over nature power on all sets.

the first set should be sr / hyper voice / freeze dry / earth power @ life orb, max spa max spe timid, it's a very good sr setter because it's so fast compared to other sr setters, has really strong stabs and coverage, and beats a lot of leads one on one.

i'd move rock polish to oo, it seems really outclassed by regice which can actually set up because of its actually usable typing and better bulk. nevermind i didn't see that it was physical lol, rip me

choice band seems decent because of how strong return is and because it's a great lure to lickilcky, idk if it's worth a set but if you test it and find it to be good you could add it as a main set.

Last edited:
offensive stealth rock / specs / subcm / band / rock polish

for those that say subcm sucks it doesn't try it first. slash sash with lo on offensive sr. don't move rock polish to oo because it has the advantage of being physical and thus beating things like spdef flareon / lickilicky. always slash hyper voice with nature power because the latter is a reasonable enough alternative.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Uh Eyan this really needs to be completed if you are going to have this analyses in QC stage. Please get this done soon.

Eyan

Will get it done by this week. Sorry should have informed that I was out of town and had no access to a computer

Edit: will be back the day after Christmas so give a few days after that

Edit 2: I think I'm more or less done for now. Would appreciate some opinions

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A gr8 analysis, but use this imo :] http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/aurorus.gif
C&C format too :/
The sprite doesnt matter, also c&c formatting is fine as it isnt written up.

fuck i closed the tab and deleted the check. So im just gonna mention a few things for now.
1st set: Either slash Choice specs and Flash cannon (over rocks), or mention them in set details. Specs Auroras breaks through licki; huge for a special attacker, flash cannon is only relevant filler, and it 2hkos piloswine.
Is there a need for nature power? of sucker punchers mightyena outspeeds and ohkos with iron tail and kecleon will leave the tier soon. HV lets you beat weakened bull with a sub, and screw over other sub mons (including 0 boosted sub serperior). The power difference is huge; you always 2hko 192/32 throh w/o rocks, which nature power cant always do even with rocks, you always KO tauros, and there is a big overall difference

2nd set: Iron tail or aqua tail slash with zen. Both for pilo, the former will always 2hko w/o rocks and hits fairies, but has shit accuracy, whilst the latter needs rocks to 2hko but has better accuracy (not sure if it hits anything else).

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
The sprite doesnt matter, also c&c formatting is fine as it isnt written up.

fuck i closed the tab and deleted the check. So im just gonna mention a few things for now.
1st set: Either slash Choice specs and Flash cannon (over rocks), or mention them in set details. Specs Auroras breaks through licki; huge for a special attacker, flash cannon is only relevant filler, and it 2hkos piloswine.
Is there a need for nature power? of sucker punchers mightyena outspeeds and ohkos with iron tail and kecleon will leave the tier soon. HV lets you beat weakened bull with a sub, and screw over other sub mons (including 0 boosted sub serperior). The power difference is huge; you always 2hko 192/32 throh w/o rocks, which nature power cant always do even with rocks, you always KO tauros, and there is a big overall difference

2nd set: Iron tail or aqua tail slash with zen. Both for pilo, the former will always 2hko w/o rocks and hits fairies, but has shit accuracy, whilst the latter needs rocks to 2hko but has better accuracy (not sure if it hits anything else).
Eyan Might as well tag you so you see this

Anty

let's drop
Overview
########
'aside from steel types which are very rare' No need for this as it now gets earth power. The only thing that resists its coverage it rotom-f, who dislikes taking hyper voices

Offensive Stealth Rock
########
I feel this could do with a better name, as you suggest sub in moves if the team has rocks

Moves
========
Mention epower also hits fire types

Usage Tips
========
Mention about taunt leads like barabaracle and kricketune who outspeed it

Team Options
========
I imagine you will expand on this in the write up

Choice Band
########
I dont think aqua tail should get a slash, just mention it in moves

Usage Tips
========
It doesnt exactly lure in flareon, who fears earth power from regular set

Team Options
========
Again, i imagine you will expand on write up

Rock Polish
########
I think niave should be the only slash as most priority are physical

Team Options
========
Mention that togetic also defogs for it

Other Options
########
Twave
Encore
Flash cannon (for pilo)

Checks & Counters
########
**Steel-types**: Im not sure if this deserves a spot, as they arent too common, bastiodon dies, and iirc klang/metang get 2hkod

**Priority moves**: Floatzel dont really run aqua jet. Other priority like dusknoir and mightyena do a lot of damage, and vaccum wave poli probably ohkos

Make one for defensive pokemon, as lickilicky can stall out special sets, and stuff like prinulp can beat all sets. Also Faster pokemon section, as w/o rock polish many outspeed and KO, w/ rock polish, any scarf user 95+ speed will beat it (mainly eq tauros, brick break scyther and focus blast raichu)

Good job Eyan QC 2/3

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Eyan please write this up. As it is a long analysis, you have 72 hours (3 days) to complete this write up, or I will have to reassign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)