Ursaring (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearse-aring

Overview
########
  • Ursaring has a monstrous base 130 Attack stat that allows it to function as an amazing wallbreaker.
  • Has two great abilities, Guts and Quick Feet.
  • Has an amazing physical movepool and the capability to take advantage of many of its attacks.
  • Ursaring is slow (besides the Quick Feet set), which means it'll have to take a hit before attacking.
  • Limited longevity because it will always be poisoned or burned.
  • Susceptible to entry hazards and is easily worn down by residual burn or poison damage.
  • Lacks the ability to switch into attacks because of its typing.

Quick Feet
########
name: Quick Feet
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Protect / Swords Dance
ability: Quick Feet
item: Toxic Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Facade is Ursaring's STAB move of choice that has 140 base power after Toxic Orb activates.
  • Close Combat offers the same coverage as Earthquake but it's more powerful than Earthquake. The only downside is its penalty that lowers the users Defense and Special Defense.
  • Crunch completes Ursaring's perfect coverage and is aimed at Ghost-types who are immune to Facade and Close Combat.
  • Protect gives Ursaring a turn to allow Toxic Orb to activate in order to boost its Speed and Facade's power.
  • Swords Dance could be used over Protect but it leaves Ursaring susceptible to attack and open to burns or being paralyzed.
  • Earthquake hits the Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist Facade.

Set Details
========
  • Don't use a Flame Orb since a burn would cut Ursaring's Attack.
  • If Ursaring has a Jolly nature, after Toxic Orb activates, Ursaring can outspeed all Pokemon up to positive-natured 105 base Speed.
Usage Tips
========
  • You don't want Ursaring to switch into any attack because of the nature of its moveset and its poor defensive typing, so it's best to switch Ursaring in when another teammate has fainted or on an obvious status move.
  • Quick Feet Ursaring is better suited for a late-game cleaner role.
Team Options
========
  • Ursaring appreciates entry hazard support in order to net crucial OHKOes and 2HKOes. So Pokemon that can set up hazards make great teammates for Ursaring. Garbodor is a prime example of a Pokemon who can support Ursaring, Because it resists Fighting-type attacks and can set up entry hazards.
  • Pokemon who can get rid of physical walls make great teammates for Ursaring.
  • Pokemon that can use Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass make great teammates for Ursaring because they can allow Ursaring to enter without taking damage, they also provide Ursaring with a free turn to activate its Orb. Musharna, Scyther, and Raichu are some examples of such teammates.

Guts
########
name: Guts
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Swords Dance / Protect
ability: Guts
item: Toxic Orb / Flame Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Facade rips through all Pokemon that don't resist it because of Ursaring's incredible strength and Toxic Orb boosting its base power to 140.
  • Close Combat smashes Rock-type and Steel-type Pokemon that resist Facade. Its only downside is its harsh penalty that drops both Special Defense and Defense by one stage.
  • Protect gives Ursaring a free turn to activate its Toxic Orb or Flame Orb.
  • Swords Dance could be used over Protect but leaves Ursaring susceptible to attack.
Set Details
========
  • There's no need to ever run Jolly nature since Ursaring will outspeed every relevant wall with an Adamant nature. The drop off in power is also noticeable and will hinder Ursaring's ability to wallbreak.
  • Toxic Orb is slashed over Flame Orb because three turns of residual poison damage is less than three turns of burn damage.
Usage Tips
========
  • You don't want Ursaring to switch into any attack because of the nature of its moveset and poor defensive typing, it's best to switch Ursaring in when another teammate has fainted or on an obvious status move.
Team Options
========
  • Ursaring appreciates entry hazard support in order to net crucial OHKOes and 2HKOes. So Pokemon that can set up hazards make great teammates for Ursaring. Garbodor is a great example of a Pokemon that can provide necesary hazard support for Ursaring because of its fighting type resistance and its great bulk.
  • Ursaring would also thrive with Trick Room support because of its slow speed. An EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef with a Brave nature would be more effective under Trick Room conditions. Also use Hammer Arm over Earthquake, it offers the same coverage and boosts Ursaring's Speed under Trick Room conditions.
  • Ursaring also appreciates Sticky Web support because Sticky Web allows Ursaring to beat grounded faster threats thanks to Sticky Web slowing them down.
  • Pokemon that can use Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass make great teammates for Ursaring because they can allow Ursaring to enter without taking damage, they also provide Ursaring with a free turn to activate its Orb. Musharna, Scyther, and Raichu are some examples of such teammates.

Other Options
########
  • Taunt to hinder supporting Pokemon.
  • Swords Dance + Leftovers + Guts moveset

Checks & Counters
########

**Priority Attacks**: Ursaring is susceptible to being revenge KOed by Sucker Punch, Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, and Fake Out. If these Attacks don't KO Ursaring they will certainly cut into its longevity.

**Entry Hazards**: Ursaring is easily worn down because it's always poisoned or burned. Entry hazards cut into its logevity by adding damage every time Ursaring is switched in.

**Revenge Killers**: Ursaring is pretty slow without Quick Feet, so it's open to being KOed by any Pokemon that's faster than it. The Quick Feet variant is threatened by everything above base 105 Speed.

**Normal-type Resist**: Pokemon who resist or are immune to Facade cause problems for Ursaring. Rock / Steel / Ghost types can all switch in on Facade and threaten Ursaring. The Quick Feet variant lacks the power to break through bulky Rock-types and Steel-types.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Ursaring appreciates entry hazard support in order to net crucial OHKOes and 2HKOes. So Pokemon that can set up hazards make great teammates for Ursaring. Garbodor and Golurk are examples of Pokemon who can support Ursaring, as they both resist Fighting-type attacks and can set up entry hazards. Golurk also threatens Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon that seek to wall Ursaring with Earthquake.
Pokemon who can get rid of walls make great teammates for Ursaring. Mespirt has awesome coverage and threatens a ton of defensive Pokemon, such as Vileplume, Seismitoad, Rhydon, Garbodor, and more.
The highlighted Pokemon are not PU.

• Facade is Ursaring's STAB move of choice that has 140 base power after Toxic Orb activates.
  • Earthquake hits the Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon that resist Facade.
  • Close Combat offers the same coverage as Earthquake but it's more powerful than Earthquake. The only downside is its penalty that lowers the users Defense and Special Defense.
  • Crunch completes Ursaring's perfect coverage and is aimed at Ghost-types who are immune to Facade and Close Combat.
  • Protect gives Ursaring a turn to allow Toxic Orb to activate in order to boost its Speed and Facade's power.
  • Swords Dance could be used over Protect but it leaves Ursaring susceptible to attack and open to burns or being paralyzed.
Why did you mention Earthquake before the other moves when it's not even on the set? Mention it last.

Usage Tips for the Guts set should stress its role as a wallbreaker. Both set's Usage Tips should definitely incorporate Pokemon with switching moves, such as Volt Switch Raichu, U-turn Scyther, etc. that can allow Ursaring to switch in and activate its Orb for free against fleeing opponents. Baton Pass Musharna receives a special mention since it is slow and bulky, meaning it can take the hit for Ursaring before Baton Passing away to it.

Make Protect the second slash (though I would consider actually removing it), since activating the Orb is easy enough that Ursaring shouldn't have to sacrifice a whole slot for it. Swords Dance allows Ursaring to sweep/wallbreak things respectively, which is much more useful.

Close Combat should definitely be chosen over Earthquake on the Guts set, as it is able to OHKO Avalugg and bulky Solid Rock Carracosta after +2 (Avalugg needs Sturdy broken though), and in general allows it to achieve more OHKOes (such as on Lickilicky) and wallbreak easier, which is important since Ursaring is on a timer. Literally the only defensive Pokemon where Earthquake is better than Ursaring's other moves would be against Carbink, which isn't worth hitting compared to Close Combat's targets. I suggest removing the EQ mention from the Guts set.

In addition to what Punchshroom highlighted, Vileplume, Seismitoad, and Rhydon are not PU.

Sticky Web is certainly worth mention in support for the Wallbreaking set. It basically performes on web teams like Zangoose did in the Shuckle RU metagame. Plus, webs is a much less situational and arguably gimmicky play style.

Also in general implement everything Shroom said above

Sorry m8's, I had this saved from the skeleton I made for NU Ursaring. That's why there are mentions of NU Pokemon. I thought I removed all of them but I didn't, so I apologize. I pretty much agree with most of what you said Punchshroom except the bit about Swords Dance over Protect. Protect is better imo because it gives Ursaring a free turn to boost its Attack. Using Swords Dance is a bit risky because it leaves Ursaring open to attack and any neutral attack would severely hurts its limited longevity.

Sorry m8's, I had this saved from the skeleton I made for NU Ursaring. That's why there are mentions of NU Pokemon. I thought I removed all of them but I didn't, so I apologize. I pretty much agree with most of what you said Punchshroom except the bit about Swords Dance over Protect. Protect is better imo because it gives Ursaring a free turn to boost its Attack. Using Swords Dance is a bit risky because it leaves Ursaring open to attack and any neutral attack would severely hurts its limited longevity.
Yes but most of the time you're getting Ursaring in you're switching him in A. For free and B. Against something it forces out. Using protect on a free run basically just ends up hurting you. swords dance is certainly te better option.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For both sets, Swords Dance should be the first slash. Protect is only useful once to activate the status orb, which is just as easily done on a slow U-turn/BP/Volt Switch. Speaking of these pivot moves, slower teammates that use these moves should be the first choice for team options.

Your usage tips are a bit lacking. Two tips you should have are: 1. you should always try to activate the status orb as early as possible with its pivot using teammates, so that Ursaring is useful throughout the game. 2. Swords Dance can be used on weak attacks from more defensive Pokemon, as Ursaring still has somewhat decent bulk. For the Guts set, also mention that its primarily a wallbreaker first, but that with speed control support from its teammates it can effectively sweep.

For the Guts set, the mention of a Trick Room spread in Team Options should be moved to Set Details. For both sets, what crucial KOes do entry hazards provide? Give a few notable examples or there's no point mentioning it.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rob. are you planning on finishing this wip? You have 48 hours to finish this skeleton and move it out of the wip stage, or I'll reassign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)