Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So I have been thinking...

With Mewtwo basically confirming DLC which features will we get? The immediate answer is "well we are getting old characters like Wolf and Lucas" but maybe we will get a bit more than that.

Looking at the amount of stages that the 3DS version has, I think it is safe to assume that we will get DLC stages, especially retro ones (I would personally love to see Melee Venom and Green Greens). While there is obviously no proof of this and it's merely speculation, I would like to point out that like the character screen the stage screen isn't fully completed.

Also I think it's logical to assume that we will get DLC skins, or have you wondered why we didn't get the cool skins like Dry Bowser, Mrs. Pac Man, Shiny Charizard or Galactic Knight? Because Nintendo will give us the "cool" skins as a DLC like only a handful of characters got cool skins while the others the normal color change and while I'm not opposed to the idea I won't buy them either.

So yea... this is merely speculation that came to my head the other day and while I have no clear evidence of this happening I think it would still be logical for Nintendo to do this moves especially when you see how other franchises are pulling this off like All Stars Battle Royale (PS copy of SSB) or Mario Kart so what skins, stages or characters would you like to see as a DLC?

I'm very, VERY wary of DLC, especially on fighting games, too many examples of complete bullshit to make me excited about the prospect.

On the other hand, the Mario Kart 8 packages look great, and the Mewtwo DLC offer thankfuly works for me since I had already decided to buy both versions.

But if we must get DLC skins.....I guess I would enjoy special skins for Mega Man that pay homage to his Final Smash partners, like X, Legends, .EXE and Star Force armors without changing his proportions and face.

Oh, and Classic Helmet-less Mega Man would be neat, too.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me, or are there a lot of campers on wifi? I've been fighting Megamans and Links for the longest time now, and I have a killer headache because of it. >:(

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yeah there are quite a few camping characters. I've seen Samus and Link camp the most, but other characters like Lucario and Luigi do it often too, it's kinda annoying but w/e.

Whenever I go with Little Mac they ALL start camping and attempting to grab or spam projectiles if available, and approaching is pretty much suicide. I'm forced to either lure them in or approach very carefully.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
yeah there are quite a few camping characters. I've seen Samus and Link camp the most, but other characters like Lucario and Luigi do it often too, it's kinda annoying but w/e.

Whenever I go with Little Mac they ALL start camping and attempting to grab or spam projectiles if available, and approaching is pretty much suicide. I'm forced to either lure them in or approach very carefully.
"Oh shit, he's using Little Mac! I'll need a tent, because I'll be here for a while."

Last edited:
To be fair, it's not like characters like Samus are designed to be in your face all the time, especially not if put up against characters like Little Mac. Playing to one's advantage is key in any matchup.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
You make it sound like that wasn't done on purpose?

Pic of the day. Classic mode in the Wii U version is set up like a battle coliseum with multiple fighters teamed up with each other. Move your trophy and join in anywhere you want. You can see faint images of stages on the platform--the number of fighters clustered on those images indicates the number of fighters you'll face. As you can see, this feature leverages the fact that the game supports multiplayer with up to eight players.

(Comment)

After each battle, the fighters that lost get blown away!! The fighters remaining on the field will once again team up with other fighters on the field. You can actually choose fighters you've blown away to join your team in team battles. A rival will always appear in this mode, and the longer that character survives, the stronger it will get.

Forgot to post earlier.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

Pic of the day. Classic mode in the Wii U version is set up like a battle coliseum with multiple fighters teamed up with each other. Move your trophy and join in anywhere you want. You can see faint images of stages on the platform--the number of fighters clustered on those images indicates the number of fighters you'll face. As you can see, this feature leverages the fact that the game supports multiplayer with up to eight players.

(Comment)

After each battle, the fighters that lost get blown away!! The fighters remaining on the field will once again team up with other fighters on the field. You can actually choose fighters you've blown away to join your team in team battles. A rival will always appear in this mode, and the longer that character survives, the stronger it will get.

Forgot to post earlier.
Whoever is playing in this picture taken is a noob. 3.9 intensity? Puh-lease.

... That aside, Classic mode on the Wii U looks like it'll be fun, but that's probably mostly because 8-fighter Smash looks enjoyable just because of how chaotic the idea is. Still, the whole rival concept is cool. Also, "YOU KICKED MY ASS, I SHALL NOW FIGHT BY YOUR SIDE!" That'd only make Bowser fighting alongside Peach funnier. Come on, we all know they're porking, Peach doesn't even try to resist being kidnapped. That BDSM torture dungeon sure sounds fun though
If only Pokemon Trainer were still in this... Pokemon Trainer using literally any Pokemon character he beat as a teammate. It's literally Pokemon.

Also, I kinda wanna see tournaments start doing 4v4 team battles, as unlikely as the idea is.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Whoever is playing in this picture taken is a noob. 3.9 intensity? Puh-lease.

... That aside, Classic mode on the Wii U looks like it'll be fun, but that's probably mostly because 8-fighter Smash looks enjoyable just because of how chaotic the idea is. Still, the whole rival concept is cool. Also, "YOU KICKED MY ASS, I SHALL NOW FIGHT BY YOUR SIDE!" That'd only make Bowser fighting alongside Peach funnier. Come on, we all know they're porking, Peach doesn't even try to resist being kidnapped. That BDSM torture dungeon sure sounds fun though
If only Pokemon Trainer were still in this... Pokemon Trainer using literally any Pokemon character he beat as a teammate. It's literally Pokemon.

Also, I kinda wanna see tournaments start doing 4v4 team battles, as unlikely as the idea is.

I want to see 2v2's on that DK split stage.... And each pair fights for supremacy. Like you can only stay on your "plane" while the other 2 fight. If you end up with 1 guy form each team winning, they fight on the entire stage with whatever stock they have left. In essence 2 1v1's at the same time.

So how's everyone doing completion wise? I've got 3 challenge tiles left; the ones for all smash run powers, 50 hours in Smash mode, and all outfits + hats + specials. I also have 672 trophies and all the gold I'll ever need I'm pretty sure lol. Right now I'm spamming Smash Runs on every character until I've unlocked all of their specials and then moving on, and I've gathered 336 special moves, which leaves 48 to unlock I think. I also have 36 hats and 12 outfits.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me, or are there a lot of campers on wifi? I've been fighting Megamans and Links for the longest time now, and I have a killer headache because of it. >:(
Yeah, legit strategy or not, it's annoying af when that's all they do. I mean, I get that they're supposed to do that when they start getting high damage or whatnot, but doing it from the very beginning of the fight is kind of annoying. I can usually beat them, especially if I'm using Lucario, but if I happen to be using Shulk (my 2nd main) I'm handicapped from the start since he can't defend projectiles that well. Once I can get inside the projectile range, I'm find with Shulk since I can kind of use the range of his Monado to my advantage at that point, but it's still a lot more annoying than I feel it should be when that's all they do from the word go, especially when it's Link. I mean, you have a sword that's pretty powerful. Hello? You shouldn't be afraid of getting in close. Unless it's Little Mac. Everyone should be afraid of getting in close with Little Mac. Projectiles are kind of your only advantage against him in FG...

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Little Mac is my 3rd main (1st is Lucario, 2nd is Shulk; I use King Dedede and Ike as counterpick characters against Little Mac and Ness, respectively) and projectiles are really annoying for Mac. I've gotten into the habit of using Jolt Haymaker to dodge projectiles and still be able to approach, but it's risky because it's easy to fall off the stage with that move; from there, you're screwed. Otherwise, I'll just approach very carefully, get in an attack, and roll out very quickly to avoid grabs. As for getting back on stage with Little Mac, Jolt Haymaker seems to be most effective at getting Mac back on stage; sort of like Ike's Quick draw being more effective at recovery than Aether.

Also, is it just me or is Ike a bit better than he was in Brawl? Quick draw seems to cover more distance than it did in Brawl, so recovery is much better. Also, if you hit someone mid-air with Quick draw, it no longer leaves you in a helpless state (iirc, it did in Brawl.) His attacks are still slow as balls though, but my (nonexistent) god that edgeguarding ability...

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, is it just me or is Ike a bit better than he was in Brawl? Quick draw seems to cover more distance than it did in Brawl, so recovery is much better. Also, if you hit someone mid-air with Quick draw, it no longer leaves you in a helpless state (iirc, it did in Brawl.) His attacks are still slow as balls though, but my (nonexistent) god that edgeguarding ability...
It's actually a lot worse. I know this because I mained Ike in Brawl. In general, it's got a huge nerf to its range. I used to hit people a bit away from me with the tip of Ike's sword; I can't do that anymore, I have to come really close. In general it's range got a big nerf and that kinda makes him bad. He also didn't get any significant buffs like a lot of other characters did.

It's edgeguarding is pretty awesome yeah, but it's worse than it was in brawl imo. still love using him tho.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I couldn't get the hang of Ike in Brawl. Quick draw didn't seem to cover very much distance so it seems to me it was harder to get back on stage with Ike in Brawl than in SSB4, while now, it's effortless. In Brawl, I found myself relying way too much on Aether which, as I'm sure you know, if you're two pixels away from the edge, you're fucked.

It seems like Ike's attacks got a bit faster in SSB4 (of course, still slow) so that's something. also, ssbwiki says Ike is heavier now and his throws are stronger (iirc, Ike's down throw combos into his up tilt; I've probably done this a few times without really thinking.) A lot of his attacks got weaker, but they're still pretty strong. Regardless, Ike definitely isn't good enough to main; I'm only using him because he's the character I can most consistently beat Ness with.

ike really doesn't feel any faster with the exception of his dtilt. he always had decent speed on stuff like his jab, utilt and dsmash. everything else is about the same as brawl from what i can tell. he's probably a bit worse though due to the fact that his jab's been nerfed and that was one of his best moves, and they didn't really improve his options against projectile characters while we gained a few nasty ones.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
One thing that does seem noteworthy, though, is that Meta Knight's nerf probably indirectly helps Ike slightly, since Ike being hard countered by Meta Knight was one of his biggest problems in Brawl. Of course, we did gain broken shit Rosalina & Luma, which I can't see Ike breaking through at all, and other veterans getting good (Bowser) isn't really helping.

Speaking of Bowser, projectile camping is awesome because fuck Bowsercide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)