Challenge One of the hardest Pokemon questions of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What were his other questions like?
Here's a quick one:

In a 1v1, a level 100 Hoothoot and level 100 Steelix face off. Steelix faints in the first turn and the Hoothoot wins.
- Steelix does not have a move to hurt itself, including explosion
- Hoothoot does not have any attacking moves
- No weather conditions or status conditions have been activated

What happened?

Here's a quick one:

In a 1v1, a level 100 Hoothoot and level 100 Steelix face off. Steelix faints in the first turn and the Hoothoot wins.
- Steelix does not have a move to hurt itself, including explosion
- Hoothoot does not have any attacking moves
- No weather conditions or status conditions have been activated

What happened?
Hoothoot used Mirror Move after Steelix used Earthquake?

Edit: Sorry if this off topic, just wanted to know what the solutions to his other questions might look like, in case it provided some clues.

DragonWhale

is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hoothoot used Mirror Move after Steelix used Earthquake?

Edit: Sorry if this off topic, just wanted to know what the solutions to his other questions might look like, in case it provided some clues.
Well it won't go down to an Earthquake, but the solution was Hoothoot Mirror Moves Steelix's Fissure (Gen 1 TM on Onix) in the GSC meta.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what we're up against.

DragonWhale

Octillery @ Leppa Berry

Natural gift
soak
Bullet seed

Edit: Maractus... just maractus....

atleast there's something new
Yeah, I'm going to jot down the list of pokemon that nullify soak and are not water-types for reference.

Paras line, Croagunk line, Helioptile line, Jynx, Lileep line, Maractus, and the Cacnea line.

Yeah, I'm going to jot down the list of pokemon that nullify soak and are not water-types for reference.

Paras line, Croagunk line, Helioptile line, Jynx, Lileep line, Maractus, and the Cacnea line.
Also Arceus. Fire + Fighting hits all of those SE (of you count Fire as SE on Dry Skin croa) but also magic bouncers negate soak, which are Esp/Xatu, which means you need dark

DragonWhale

Good catch. This would lead to a reasonable conclusion that to use Soak you need either Mold Breaker or Skill Swap. The first one is exclusive to Basculin and I don't think the latter exists.

Octillery @ Leppa Berry

Natural gift
soak
Bullet seed

Edit: Maractus... just maractus....

atleast there's something new
You miss out on Magic Bouncers, which can be hit by Thief, but that still leaves Maractus. If you could somehow squeeze both Thief and Signal Beam, I think you'd cover them all. (Don't hold me to this pls. Also, a new way to say 4MSS haha.)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Are megas counted in this? Because mega absol also blocks that Octillery combo and isn't weak to thief

(Also Multitype is immune to both Soak and Skill Swap)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, could there possible be a trick to this question? Like, if you worded it correctly in your first post, I'm going along with the logic of so:

In XY 1v1, name a Pokemon that can hit EVERY Pokemon for super-effective damage with only 3 moves.
In 1v1 you can't hit EVERY Pokemon because you're only versing one opponent. Thus in order for this riddle to be possible the opponent you're facing must be EVERY Pokemon, so either:

1. You're facing a Pokemon that can Transform into any Pokemon (Ditto or Mew).
2. If you were to combine ALL the types together, you'll get a Pokemon who's only weak to Rock-type (and the move Freeze-Dry).

As for why they limit you to 3 moves, it's meant to throw you off (or to assure there wasn't any other possible answer).

Now I could just be overthinking this, but to me this sounds like there's a curve ball coming because whoever came up with this question must have an answer and if there's a legitimate answer they would have to have spent a long time figuring it out and making sure no other Pokemon can stop it (because just one Pokemon that stops it means that the riddle is faulty).

DragonWhale

Hmm, could there possible be a trick to this question? Like, if you worded it correctly in your first post, I'm going along with the logic of so:

In 1v1 you can't hit EVERY Pokemon because you're only versing one opponent. Thus in order for this riddle to be possible the opponent you're facing must be EVERY Pokemon, so either:

1. You're facing a Pokemon that can Transform into any Pokemon (Ditto or Mew).
2. If you were to combine ALL the types together, you'll get a Pokemon who's only weak to Rock-type (and the move Freeze-Dry).

As for why they limit you to 3 moves, it's meant to throw you off (or to assure there wasn't any other possible answer).

Now I could just be overthinking this, but to me this sounds like there's a curve ball coming because whoever came up with this question must have an answer and if there's a legitimate answer they would have to have spent a long time figuring it out and making sure no other Pokemon can stop it (because just one Pokemon that stops it means that the riddle is faulty).
No, it's nothing nonsensical like that. 1v1 means 1 pokemon vs 1 pokemon.
They limit the moves to 3 because with 4, you could just use Kecleon with Skill Swap, a fighting move, a dark move, and a non-psychic or normal move to reset Sabletomb's typing.

Basculin is the closest I can find, but in order to hit Water super effectively, it needs HP Electric or Grass.
Ugh, this is difficult.

Does anyone know when the person who originally came up with this will share the answer?

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
No, it's nothing nonsensical like that. 1v1 means 1 pokemon vs 1 pokemon.
They limit the moves to 3 because with 4, you could just use Kecleon with Skill Swap, a fighting move, a dark move, and a non-psychic or normal move to reset Sabletomb's typing.
You can do that without a fourth move though. Color Change transforms you into a pure type of whatever type hits you, unless you're already purely that type, so Sableye and Spiritomb would become pure Dark types. A Kecleon like the one in the OP is the answer.

You can do that without a fourth move though. Color Change transforms you into a pure type of whatever type hits you, unless you're already purely that type, so Sableye and Spiritomb would become pure Dark types. A Kecleon like the one in the OP is the answer.
No, Color Change will not activate if you are already that type, even if you aren't purely that type. So a Dark/whatever with Color Change will not become pure Dark if hit by a Dark-type move.

actually it isn't stated anywhere that color change doesn't change a pokemon to a monotype like protean. Has it been tested?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
No, Color Change will not activate if you are already that type, even if you aren't purely that type. So a Dark/whatever with Color Change will not become pure Dark if hit by a Dark-type move.
Oh, I could have sworn that was the case in an earlier generation. It's definitely not the case now though, my mistake!

DragonWhale

If you're a dual type with color change and you're hit with one of those types, the ability won't activate.

EDIT: Greninja'd

What about color change Kecleon with skill swap/fury cutter/rock slide?

Hits magic bouncers se and skill swaps everything else?

scizor and durant

What about color change Kecleon with skill swap/fury cutter/rock slide?

Hits magic bouncers se and skill swaps everything else?

scizor and durant
No, it hits those two. You just have to hit them with Rock Slide first to reset their typing. The only problem is Arceus, Aegislash, and Crustle (Bug and Rock).

No, it hits those two. You just have to hit them with Rock Slide first to reset their typing. The only problem is Arceus, Aegislash, and Crustle (Bug and Rock).
So basically..Kecleon is totally out because it needs skill swap and can't possibly cover arceus with 2 moves...hm
Does soak work the same as skill swap color change?
Soak seedbomb pursuit pelipper beats everything if not

Or soak signal beam tbolt lanturn...tbh I thing that one's better

So basically..Kecleon is totally out because it needs skill swap and can't possibly cover arceus with 2 moves...hm
Does soak work the same as skill swap color change?
Soak seedbomb pursuit pelipper beats everything if not

Or soak signal beam tbolt lanturn...tbh I thing that one's better
Can't soak an Arceus, so you still need a Fighting-type move to hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)