Resource LC Player of the Week 20: QuoteCS

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

QuoteCS
Favourite Pokemon: Skarmory
Known For: Room Owner of LC, not being complete ass in room tours.​

Quote can't interview himself because that'd be dumb, so I took over for this week (sorry about the delay, Quote was too busy modeling for Jewish magazine to get interviewed). Also, I completely stole the question format from previous PotW threads.

Mambo: Tell me a bit about yourself fgt.

QuoteCS
: Well fgt, I'm a 21-year-old Canadian college student that enjoys video games and American football, among other things. I'm also a competitive smash player and a former Konami Judge. fgt

Mambo: Are you a robot fgt?

QuoteCS:
beep boop fgt

Mambo: When did you start playing LC and why fgt?

QuoteCS
: I started playing LC about a week or two after X & Y came out. I had considered playing last gen but just wasn't motivated enough because of my dislike for competitive Gen 5 battling. However, a week into XY OU and I was bored and wanted to stop, so I finally gave in and made an LC team. I've always thought it would be fun playing as first-stage Pokemon, and I enjoyed playing Little Cup in Pokemon Stadium 2, so it made sense it try it, and I love it. fgt

Mambo: What do you like most about LC fgt?

QuoteCS: My favourite part of LC is how offensive the metagame is in comparison to other tiers and metas. Because of how the damage rolls work, as well as the ratio of damage to HP, it's forced in a way to be more aggressive, and I'm generally a more aggressive player, so that favours me. Another factor is that because of how EV distribution functions, you can allocate more EVs to other stats while still maximizing potential in your main stats. I also like how cute everything is! fgt

Mambo: If you could change something about LC, what would it be fgt?

QuoteCS: If I could change anything, it would be move legality status. While I understand that you can't legally have say, Rufflet with Brave Bird, it would be really interesting to have. I would also like to see LC without Eviolite or Berry Juice. I have a feeling it would be a very aggressive meta, even more so than it is now. fgt

Mambo: Which LC users/players inspire you fgt? Which ones do you admire and respect fgt?

QuoteCS: dsr95 was the person to introduce me to the LC community, and my rivalry with him last year inspired me to become a better player. In terms of players I admire and respect, there are quite a few. Of course, blarajan is #1, as he is our sexy indian lord and saviour of LC. There's also of course, dsr95 for bringing me to LC, Goddess Briyella for being the first player I ever beat in LC, and then there's... All of the LC room Staff, especially prem, macle, and Rowan. AND Mambo AND Jac, two of my bestest Smogon friends. fgt

Mambo: What do you think is one of the best strategies/teams in LC right now fgt?

QuoteCS: The best strategy in LC right now is VoltTurn, without a doubt. In a metagame where offensive teams rule and momentum means everything, being able to keep up your offensive presence by VoltTurning at every sensible moment puts enormous pressure on your opponent. along with that, it's not hard to make an excellent LC team using common VoltTurn abusers. A team of Mienfoo + Chinchou + Fletchling is not uncommon at all. Besides VoltTurn, Bulky Offense is great because you get to maintain your all important offensive presence without having to take risks like you would with Hyper Offense. It also has a better insurance policy than VoltTurn because the general bulk of your team can allow you more free turns on the off-chance you screw something up or your opponent makes a sneaky option. fgt

Mambo: Do you have any advice for new LCers fgt?

QuoteCS: My advice for new LCers is to read the resources on the forums, participate in tours regularly, and ask lots of questions! There's nothing wrong with asking questions if you're learning. There are many people in LC that are more than willing to help you out, myself included. Don't be shy. fgt

QuoteCS was also gracious enough to provide us with one of his teams and a very enlightening description behind it.

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 5
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 36 SpA / 20 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Overheat

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 9 HP
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Protect
- Aqua Jet

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

This is what I call "Shitty HO." It revolves around getting the sweep with Carvanha. Drilbur is my main source of hazard control. I use Fletchling / Mienfoo / Magnemite as a hard-hitting core to keep my opponents constantly switching, while having Croagunk as a glue to back-up Magnemite and Carvanha in case something goes wrong. By all means, it could be considered a VoltTurn team; it overall has a very offensive feel to me, especially based on how I play it. Instead of constantly trying to make safe plays, I try to make as many solid predictions as I can to maximize damage output. It's not the greatest team, but it has given me some great wins against good opponents.

Last edited:

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Quote, you're of the utmost cool and awesomeness. :) You're a great leader the LC room needed, and you will continue to do a great job I assume. I'm glad we've become closer friends recently. :D

Now if only I can beat you in Smash Bros.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Potw threads are just a nice thing to celebrate the various members in our community and to give people their moment in the limelight and share their views about our community and the metagame. I'll remove any posts complaining about this thread, and infract any posts claiming that someone doesn't deserve a thread.

That said, quote is a valuable member of our community, puts in a shittonne of work for the ps room. Great guy to talk to and is generally nice and insightful into many different things. We're lucky to have him in our community.

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Props to Quote for simply being the best bot we could ever have in the LC room. I didn't know I was such an inspiration to you during the lol quote gets 2nd place again times
Lolol. Those were good times... Sorry about all the loses in the finals Quote. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)