2014 Music

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nu:tone's new album future history is looking huge! hospital currently has a few previews up on youtube, and all of them are huge. definitely an album for the dnb fans here to look forward to.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Really looking forward to Tyrannosaurus Dead's upcoming album Flying Ant Day, their previous stuff is quite solid alt-rock, if you're into it.

new at the gates is definitely a step down but still pretty decent. spectral lore / nightbringer / abysmal dawn all put out some good shit.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So long time lurker of the music thread but first time poster, just posting to say that I've listened to the new Les Sins album 'Michael' about 6 times from start to finish already. Most of the tracks are surprisingly solid, barely feels like there's any filler. Standouts to me are Minato, Below and Do Right (non-singles). Overall a really good dance album that will get a lot of mileage this summer from me (I'm in Aus...). Here's a link to the opening track Talk About

Anyway I know I'm late on this one but really loved listening to FlyLo's You're Dead. I really didn't know what to expect from it as I basically don't listen to jazz/jazz fusion or whatever but was pleasantly surprised. I think my favourite track is Coronus, The Terminator

George Ezra has really impressed me. Budapest is such a top song and Blame It On Me isn't too shabby either. His voice is bizarre but mesmerising at the same time

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a few albums that are gonna drop before the year ends that look to be solid: Clouds by Atom Tree (Nov 21) is worth a listen if you're into electronica, Tiswas by Sleaford Mods (Nov 24) is a decent post-punk album, and then Polyphonic Beings by Christian Vogel (Nov 25) for some electronic music. As for December, it's a great time for old heads, especially if you're into hip hop, as the Wu are dropping a new album, A Better Tomorrow, on the 2nd, and hopefully it'll be better than their last couple of releases. Also on the 2nd, a new Mary J. Blige album, The London Sessions is out, and a week after a new Ghostface Killah album, 36 Seasons! Knowing Ghostface, it's gonna be hype af. Also Metallica, AC/DC, and the Smashing Pumpkins are dropping new albums too...

what year is it?

the new bloodbath came out and it's excellent. might be my aoty, this year's been kinda dry for me

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fred v & grafix are dropping unrecognisable (a compilation of remixes of tracks from recognise plus one new original track) this upcoming monday. while i'm normally not a fan of remix compilations, the previews already out on youtube are promising. tracks of note for me are the frederic robinson remix of major happy, the emperor remix of recognise, the loko remix of bladerunner, and the one new track, 3d glasses. overall, i'll be checking it out on spotify or youtube before considering making a purchase.

as for my album of the year, i'd definitely give that title to nu:tone's future history. the hospital records and med school music labels have had several strong releases this year, such as the aforementioned nu:tone album, s.p.y's back to basics chapter 1 and chapter 2 albums, keeno's life cycle album, reso's pulse code ep, and fred v & grafix's debut album recognise, which made it hard for me to choose just one album for the title. at the end of the day, nu:tone's future history held the most memorable tracks (tides, change, oneroa, and holocomm, among others) and was the most fun to listen to when i want to space out and not do anything.

almost the end of the year, there haven't really been that many releases this year that i've thoroughly enjoyed. i'm curious as to what are people's favourite 2014 albums??

shaian

you love to see it
Oh man, the yearly top 10 album countdown, the most stressful list I expect to make. That being said, 2014 was a strong year for art pop, so I'm gonna have to give my album of the year to St. Vincent's St. Vincent (fr self titled albums are tacky though, not gonna lie).
The top 10 in order:
1. St. Vincent by St. Vincent
2. Freedom of the Son by Uyama Hiroto
3. The Hum by Hookwurms
4. Run the Jewels 2 by Run the Jewels
5. Nikki Nack by tUnE-yArDs
6. It's Album Time by Todd Terje
7. Lese Majesty by Shabazz Palaces
8. LP1 by FKA Twigs
9. You're Dead! by Flying Lotus
10. Present Tense by Wild Beasts
It should go without saying, I highly recommend giving them a spin if you haven't already.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
2014 has been a really good year for the (liquid) dnb scene, so i'm pleased. order is artist - album, with notable tracks in the following brackets.

my personal top 10 (in order):

1. Nu:Tone - Future History [Tides (ft. Lea Lea), Cannibals (ft. Dynamite MC), Change, Oneroa, Holocomm]
2. Keeno - Life Cycle [As One (ft. Pat Fulgoni), Nocturne, Sleeplessness (ft. Whiney), Falling (ft. Zoe Klinck)]
3. Fred V & Grafix - Unrecognisable [3D Glasses, Green Destiny (Subwave Remix), Bladerunner (LoKo Remix), Hydra (Chords Remix)]
4. Tokyo Prose - Presence [Won't Let Me Go (ft. Lenzman, Fox), 16 Bar Cycles (ft. Christoph El Truento), Small Gains]
5. Lenzman - Looking At The Stars [My Tearz (ft. Steo), Collapse, Starz (ft. Kevin King)]
6. S.P.Y - Back To Basics Chapter 2 [Stardust, Manicured Reality (ft. MC Lowqui), Perth Sunset]
7. Atlantic Connection - The Archives (2001 - 2005) [Atomic Puma Man, Quantum Leap, Daybreaks]
8. Mefjus - Emulation [Emulation, Taking (ft. Zoe Klinck), Blame You (ft. Zoe Klinck)]
9. S.P.Y - Back To Basics Chapter 1 [Cold Harsh Air (ft. Total Science, Grimm), Dark Shadows (ft. Rene LaVice, Total Science), Brooklyn Dub]
10. Metrik - Universal Language [Human Again (ft. Jan Burton), Make the Floor Burn, Resonate (ft. ShockOne), Freefall VIP (ft. Reija Lee)]

honorable mentions:

Loadstar - Stepped Outside EP [Stepped Outside]
Logistics - Polyphony [Polyphony (ft. Sonic), Stutter (ft. Nu:Tone, Maduk), No Hurry Time]
Hamilton - Fire / Be There [Be There]
Wilkinson - Lazers Not Included (Extended Edition) [Afterglow, Half Light, Heart Beat (Calyx & Teebee Remix)]
Mind Vortex - Colours EP [Overture, Colours]
Emperor & Mefjus - Hello World EP [Disrupted, Void Main Void]
Reso - Pulse Code EP [Unexist, Sprite City, Pulse Code]
Lynx - Where Are You? [Where Are You? (ft. Master X), Bee's Knees (ft. Malibu), Hurting (ft. Master X, Malibu)]
Hybrid Minds - Mountains Remixed [New Orleans (BCee Remix), Meant To Be (Insideinfo Remix), Trauma (Lenzman Remix)]

and yea, definitely give all of them a listen, especially if you want to have a good intro to the (liquid) dnb scene.

e: this list has been updated, and a new honorable mentions segment has been added.

Last edited:
if we're doing a top 10 list, i'll contribute mine

10. machine girl - WLFGRL
9. death blues - ensemble
8. natural snow buildings - the night country
7. white lung - deep fantasy
6. planning for burial - desideratum
5. cloud nothings - here and nowhere else
4. kishi bashi - lighght
3. iceage - plowing into the field of love
2. death from above 1979 - the physical world
1. a silver mt zion - fuck off get free we pour light on everything

honorable mentions:
DOLOR - SISTER
idylls - prayer for terrene
grouper - ruins
emma ruth rundle - some heavy ocean
trophy scars - holy vacants

don't really have any order for this but these are my fav albums of the year (roughly)

the hotelier - home, like no place is there
foxing - the albatross
rtj - rtj2
alt-j - this is all yours
andrew jackson jihad - christmas island
modern baseball - you're gonna miss it all
young fathers - dead

Last edited:
Top 5

sun kil moon - benji
white lung - deep fantasy
d'angelo - black messiah
migos - rich nigga timeline
rtj - rtj2

EDIT

sun kil moon - benji
white lung - deep fantasy
d'angelo - black messiah
brian eno & karl hyde - High Life
migos - rich nigga timeline

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
didn't really want to rank these so here's an unranked list of the 2014 albums i listened to and think are great (still gotta give the sharon van etten album and some other ones a proper listen before the year's out)

benji - sun kil moon
to be kind - swans
sea when absent - a sunny day in glasgow
rtj2 - rtj
what am i gonna do with everything i know - the weather station
our love - caribou
nikki nack - tuneyards
too bright - perfume genius
hell can wait - vince staples
lost in the dream - the war on drugs
where we come from - popcaan
what is this heart? - how to dress well
lp1 - fka twigs
you're dead! - flying lotus
clark - clark
ruins - grouper
lemonade / bipp - sophie
zentropy - frankie cosmos
st vincent - st vincent
are we there - sharon van etten
real hair - speedy ortiz

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)