XY OU Rate My Team: New player

Hello Smogon community! I am a brand new to competitive battling and over the course of researching and getting help from friends I created a team, but before I breed and train the team I want to know everyones opinions of it. If you have any suggestions at all please feel free to reply and if you have any tips on breeding/ev training/battling/ect. that would also help! Thank you! (P.S. doublade with eviolite I thought of myself and I am not sure if it could be viable or not but I think it could be really good.)

Lucario Life Orb
w/ adamant nature and justified ability
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Close Combat
Sword Dance
Extreme Speed
Crunch/Ice punch/Iron Tail

I picked Lucario because 1 he is my favorite pokemon and 2 His physical sweep game is prime or so I have heard. I have close combat for STAB and major damage to other fighting types. Sword dance to set up a full unstopable sweeping. Extreme Speed in tight situations regarding speed. Then I do not know which to choose for my last move.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
w/ Jolly nature and Rough Skin ability
252 Atk/4 Hp/252 Spd
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Outrage
Fire Blast

I chose Garchomp as another sweeper. It seems he requires less set up than lucario. I gave him focus sash so I can get off a stealth rock if it is required without getting 1HKO. I chose earthquake for it is a big STAB move in his moveset. Outrage and Fire Blast as type coverage.

Espeon @ Light Clay
w/ Timid nature and Magic Bounce ability
252 Hp/4 Def/252 Spd
Light Screen
Reflect
Toxic
Yawn

Espeon is my set up and screen provider. With yawn i can get a free switch to my sweeper maybe even a chance to set up with one as well. Screen and reflect for defensive reasons and toxic if I need the status game rolling

Doublade @Eviolite
w/ Relaxed nature and No Guard ability
240Hp/ 252 Def/ 16 SpDef
Rest
Sleep Talk
Sacred Sword
Gyro Ball
0 iv's in Spd

Doublade would be my physical defensive wall. With eviolite and Evs in Def his stats should be high enough to withstand most physical moves. Rest to recover health and sleep talk so not completely useless while asleep.

Chandelure @Choice Scarf
w/Timid nature and Flash Fire ability
4 Def/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
Overheat
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power
Energy Ball

Chandelure is my Special Attack Sweeper. To switch in when predicting a fire move to be used on lucario or anyone else really. I chose the moveset for type coverage.

Rotom-Wash Leftovers
w/Calm nature and Levitate ability
252Hp/212 SpDef/44 Spd
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-o-Wisp
Pain Split

RWash is my Special Defense Wall. I found a mostly used moveset for him on smogon and thought it would work out well.

Please leave your opinions and tips below thank you! :)

Last edited:
Hello! Your team is pretty cool, and I have a few suggestions:
  • As Lucina09 suggested, you probably want to go for Choice Scarf over Focus Sash on Garchomp. Scarfchomp is insanely powerful this generation, and Max Speed + Scarf and Naive will help your Outrage outspeed many Pokemon. I mentioned Naive only because you might want to use that or Naughty over Jolly. Jolly reduces Special Attack, which won't help Garchomp's Fire Blast. Since you have Fire Blast on your set, you don't want to limit its use. Also, I would remove the 4 HP EVs and switch them into Special Attack for Fire Blast.
  • On Lucario, I would go for Iron Tail. This is to hit Fairies and Ice-Types (mainly Ice Shard users) that threaten Garchomp's ability to sweep.
  • On Espeon, you should probably switch Yawn with Psyshock. As stated above, it'll be Taunt bait without an attacking move and Psyshock is probably the best option to hit specially-defensive Pokemon.
  • I'm curious, what Hidden Power type are you using on Chandelure? If anything, you can always go for Trick over Hidden Power ??? to trap support Pokemon and such. You may also want to replace Overheat with Fire Blast, because being locked into Overheat will call for a switch that your opponent may predict.
That's all from me for now. I was thinking that you may benefit from replacing Espeon with Klefki, but that would add on to your ground weakness and it's pretty predictable anyway.
Good luck on your team! ^-^

Hey! pretty sweet team, but I have a few suggestions that could really help it.(I'll be going over some of what Lunistrius and Lucina09 said so don't think I'm just reposting.)

• For Garchomp, With your team not having something to remove hazards, your Focus Sash for the most part is going to break. You're going to want to replace that with a Choice Scarf. With the Choice Scarf max Speed isn't necessary with a Hasty / Naive Nature I'd suggest putting 232 in speed, 252 in Attack, and dump the rest in Special Attack to support fire blast.
  • The Espeon set is nice, I'd suggest a Focus Sash for him, but since they're is no Hazard remover I'd see it being flawed. Psyshock / Psychic is a needed move for Espeon as Psychic is his only STAB type, though you don't have to worry about Taunt with the ability Magic Bounce, at times it can be very useful unlike Yawn just forcing a switch out.
  • As for Doublade With Chandelure giving Flash Fire / Fighting immunity support I'd think to drop Doublade for a Ferrothorn / Heatran. Both are great walls that can set up hazards. Though Heatran would make your team much more weak to Ground, I would more than likely chose Ferrothorn.
  • As for Chandelure himself, I would maybe change that Choice Scarf to a Life Orb, Chandelure can do a lot more damage with a Life Orb and it won't lock your team down to Choice so much. And I don't know what Hidden Power that is but I'd replace it with Substitute or maybe another Coverage move? Also I'd go for Fire Blast instead of Overheat, Overheat cripples Chandelure and forces a switch. Thus allowing your opponent to gain a free turn, and the edge against you.
  • I'd switch Rotom-W to a Physically Defensive set with Ferrothorn having a Special Defensive set. This may seem like it should be in reverse but it works out, and can catch your opponent off guard.
  • As for Lucario I see no flaws in the set that I can see, as for the last move slot it's really all player choice, I would change is Nature to Jolly.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature

- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Substitute

- Energy Ball

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Hope this helped you out a little :) Feel free to play around with the sets and see how it works out, remember this is your team.

Hello! Your team is pretty cool, and I have a few suggestions:
  • As Lucina09 suggested, you probably want to go for Choice Scarf over Focus Sash on Garchomp. Scarfchomp is insanely powerful this generation, and Max Speed + Scarf and Naive will help your Outrage outspeed many Pokemon. I mentioned Naive only because you might want to use that or Naughty over Jolly. Jolly reduces Special Attack, which won't help Garchomp's Fire Blast. Since you have Fire Blast on your set, you don't want to limit its use. Also, I would remove the 4 HP EVs and switch them into Special Attack for Fire Blast.
  • On Lucario, I would go for Iron Tail. This is to hit Fairies and Ice-Types (mainly Ice Shard users) that threaten Garchomp's ability to sweep.
  • On Espeon, you should probably switch Yawn with Psyshock. As stated above, it'll be Taunt bait without an attacking move and Psyshock is probably the best option to hit specially-defensive Pokemon.
  • I'm curious, what Hidden Power type are you using on Chandelure? If anything, you can always go for Trick over Hidden Power ??? to trap support Pokemon and such. You may also want to replace Overheat with Fire Blast, because being locked into Overheat will call for a switch that your opponent may predict.
That's all from me for now. I was thinking that you may benefit from replacing Espeon with Klefki, but that would add on to your ground weakness and it's pretty predictable anyway.
Good luck on your team! ^-^
Taunt is completely useless cause of magic bounce. And psyshock is a better choice. Also you could change doublade to Ferrothorn as suggested and the above suggestions pretty much cover everything on your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)