XY OU Balanced Offence (with M-Scizor)

Hey Smogon, long time no see. I've been on a short hiatus due to my exams. Well, I'm back with a new RMT. In about 1 month, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will be released, bringing about an entirely new era of Pokemon. Hence, to celebrate the closure of the XY era and beginning of the ORAS era, I decided to make a new RMT. Anyways, enough of my rambling, let's get on with the team.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Scizor was the Pokemon that I built this team around. With a fantastic attack stat, decent bulk on both sides (100 SpD and 140 Def) and an amazing ability in technician, Scizor has some of the best sweeping potential in the game. This is your standard bulky SD Scizor, allowing Scizor to set up on many of the meta game's biggest threats. Swords Dance allows Scizor to easily sweep teams and with Scizor's bulk, gives it ample opportunities to set up. Roost allows Scizor to set up on anything that cannot 2HKO it, preventing it from being worn down before it sweeps. Bullet Punch becomes a monstrous 90 Power after STAB and the technician boost and makes up for Scizor's below average speed, being able to make short work of most mons after one or two SDs. Lastly, Knock Off as it can hit many mons that resist bullet punch very hard, like Rotom-W or Skarmory. The EVs are quite weird but they work. The Impish nature (over the Adamant one) and the 176 SpD allow Scizor to dodge the 2HKO from mons like Lando-T and M-Gardevoir. Light Metal over Techinician on Scizor as it allows Scizor to switch into Grass Knot and Low Kick more easily and Scizor already gets Technician after mega evolving.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Belly Drum Azumarill is a monster. My secondary sweeper and late game cleaner, Belly Drum Azu turns into a terrifying Pokemon, reaching an insane 1744 attack stat, at the cost of sacrificing 50% of its health. This can be dampened by using a Sitrus Berry, which recovers 25% of Azu's health. the moves are simple, Belly Drum is there to allow Azumarill to destroy most of the metagame in a single move. Aqua Jet is there to make up for Azumarill's terrible speed and breaks most of the meta game in one shot. Play Rough is to deal with bulkier mons like Rotom-W, Dragonite and the Lati twins. Superpower is so my sweep doesn't get stopped by Ferro, with Azu being able to take it down in one hit at +6. The EVs are there to allow Azu to outspeed regular base 70s while the Adamant nature is there to ensure maximum damage output.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Scarfed Terrakion is my revenge killer. With an already above-average speed of 108, giving Terrakion a Scarf allows to outspeed almost anything in the tier unboosted. Terrakion also outspeeds several threats at +1 (I'm looking at you Zard X), making it great to stop sweepers in their tracks. The moveset aims to provide as much coverage as possible. Close Combat is Terrakion's main STAB move and is great for stopping sweepers. Stone Edge provides coverage and is a great check to bird spam. EQ rounds out the CC/EdgeQuake Combo, giving Terrakion perfect neutral coverage. X-Scissor provides super-effective against mons like Alakazam, the Lati Twins and the odd Espeon. The EVs are self-explanatory, max investments in attack and speed allow for Terrakion to revenge kill effectively. A Jolly nature allows Terrakion to deal with Zard X and Dragonite at +1 as well as ScarfChomp.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

SubSplit Gengar is my special attacker and serves many different purposes, depending on the situation. It can serve as a revenge killer if Terrakion has fallen, but its mainly just a good special attacker. Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball give Gengar two good STAB moves to work with and make Gengar a potent threat. Gengar can also get up Substitutes very easily as it forces many switches and is very fast. Pain Split cripples many bulky attackers, tanks and walls due to Gnegar's low HP. This also makes Gengar a nuisance for Stall as it can Substitute on the predicted status and begin its shenanigans. The EVs are also self-explanatory in this case, with Max Speed and SpAtk for maximum damage output when need be. Life Orb is desired item as it it maximizes Gengar's damage output while maintaining the ability to switch moves. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, running 29 HP IVs is required.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

Mandibuzz is my mixed wall and utility. It also is my Hazard control. Roost and Toxic and used to stall and get some residual damage on mons. Defog is to clear hazards as I run none of my own. Lastly, Foul Play is probably the main move of the set. Mandibuzz ,with its great 110/105/95 stat spread, allows Mandibuzz to switch into threats like Zard X, Excadrill and Gyarados and deal a hell lot of damage to them in return. It also negates Mandibuzz's horrible offences. 248 HP EVs make Mandibuzz generally bulkier, and the most of the rest are split between both defenses; 108 EVs are invested into Special Defense to avoid a 2HKO from Landorus's Focus Blast, and the rest is put into Defense to cushion physical hits even better. 16 Speed EVs gives the small, but useful benefit of outrunning neutral-natured max Speed Azumarill, giving Mandibuzz an opportunity to hit them in desperate situations.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus is my special sweeper and status spreader. Thunder Wave is my panic button, allowing Thundurus to paralyze most faster threats. Thunderbolt is the main STAB moves on the set, allowing Thundurus to hit extremely hard after the life orb boost. HP Ice allows Thundurus to deal with several threats like Gliscor, Lando-T, Garchomp and Dragonite. In the last slot, Focus Blast further improves Thundurus's coverage, allowing Thundurus to hit opposing Steel, Rock and Ice types like Tyranitar, Heatran, Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn. The EVs are self-explanatory, like Gengar, with max investments in both SpAtk and Speed to hit as hard as possible as fast as possible.

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Well, that's the team. Please leave suggestions and comments on how to improve. Constructive Criticism is always appreciated.

Cheers!
-PK

Cynara

Banned deucer.
This is a very good built team, well constructed and thought out Team process, however How do you work around Venusaur mega? I feel you should change Psychic to Focus blast on Thundurus as my only suggestion to help you deal with mega Venusaur, It's a common pokemon on many teams, especially with the Vensaur-Heatran Core. Scizor can Deal with it if it's setup and I guess, but some more offensive variants of m-vensaur carry HP Fire to beat Scizor all together which can prove problematic.

Gengar can to a point with sub sludge wave pain split however if you lose Gengar you have a huge work around. Also Psychic thundurus isn't really that common so it would catch it by surprise more likely. You have Terrakion that can easily take care of heatran and Hazards and switch ins really wear down heatran over time. So I feel Psychic would be a superior coverage move on your team.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 213-252 (58.5 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Easily capable of 2HKOing Venusaur, assuming it isn't the specially defensive set, which is rare if it's paired with heatran.

Anyways this is a brilliant team, I'll definatly give it a try soon!

Last edited:
Hi it's an amazing team btw and I loved it. however I wanted to ask why didn't you put bug bite on scizor as it takes care of most pokes and is benefitted by technician and STAB. And I echo cranham's concern about Mega-venusaur. Psychic on thunderus does seem to work bit with nasty plot boost it becomes an OHKO. So you could try changing focus miss for nasty plot.
Hope I helped glhf playing :D

Nice team you have here Puzzle King... however, to better deal with the MegaVenu-Tran defensive pairing why not change Thundurus to:

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: SHEER FORCE
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The synergy that Lando possesses with Azu and Scizor is awesome as Azu can switch into any water / ice attack and absorb it and begin to initiate a belly drum... which once accomplished, you are just spamming Aqua Jet FTW while scizor can absorb those same attacks as well and etiher use the free turn to SD or Roost depending on hax from the absorbed hit. 4 attacks Lando is just severely vicious and can rip a hole in a lot of teams.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the rate everyone. I did have problems against the Heatran/Venusaur core in the past and will try out Psychic Thundurus-I and Lando-I. As for why I chose Knock Off over Bug Bite, Bug/Steel doesn't have very good coverage and while I have a great 90 Base Powered Bug move, Knock Off gives me the opportunity to Knock Off important items such as Eviolite from Chansey and Toxic Orb from Gliscor.

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello Puzzle King, nice team you have there! I have some suggestions that I feel improve your team. I have tested the team little bit on the ladder and with some friends, and I feel it has some major weaknesses.

First of all, you don't have any Stealth Rocker, and considering both Mega Charizard X has a really good matchup vs your team, even if you have Mandibuzz and Thundurus-I. It's really hard to keep Mandibuzz healthy throughout the game, especially if it's your Defogger. If Stealth Rocks are up, Mega Charizard X OHKOs after a DD.
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 330-388 (78 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You have Scarf Terrakion to revenge Charizard X, but it doesn't switch in, only revenge kill. CharX OHKOs Terrakion with Outrage after Rocks. To fix these things, I'd suggest Scarf Landorus-Therian > Mandibuzz and Sash Terrakion > Scarf. Terrrakion provides you with an insanely reliable Stealth Rocker, which can be really helpful to your team, considering your issues with Mega Charizard X and Talonflame. Scarf Landorus-T provides you an insanely reliable Revenge Killer. I feel Scarf Lando-T is a better Revenge Killer than Scarf Terrakion, even with the rise of Jolly Charizard X. Lando-T provides Intimidate and U-Turn, which would help your team out more than Terrakion would. I also feel like Mandibuzz kills all of your offensive momentum. Landorus-T handles pretty much everything Mandibuzz does, sacrificing durability for a better offensive presence and giving you instant momentum vs a lot of teams.

Looking at your team, Keldeo and hazards both look quite annoying. Belly Drum Azumarill isn't very reliable vs Keldeo, even though it resists both STABs, Scald completely removes Azumarill from the game. I feel like Latios > Azumarill would be really helpful to your team. It still checks Keldeo, like Azumarill did before, but it also provides you with a defogger, something you would lose if you were to replace Mandibuzz. I personally think HP Fire Latios is the best option, as it allows you to handle Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, two things that are already very annoying to your team.

I feel like your team has an issue with Rotom-W, even if you use Latios or don't, it still can be very annoying to your team if used well. You can bring Latios into it, but it'll just Volt Switch while you switch in, and he'll send out a counter and force you out or Pursuit trap you. I don't think you really need Defensive Mega Scizor, as an offensive can be really helpful in some cases, especially vs teams with Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, or Heatran, all of which are pretty annoying to your team. Offensive Mega Scizor fits really well instead of your current set would be quite beneficial. This set outspeeds standard Rotom-W, Venusaur, and Heatran, all of which commonly are used to check / counter Mega Scizor. It lacks Roost, severally hurting its bulk, but it is far more helpful to your team.

A minor change I'd suggestion is to use LO Taunt Gengar > LO SubSplit. I feel like LO Taunt handles stall better, which is pretty annoying to your team. Both work fine, though, use whichever you like more.

I know your team is called "Balanced Offense", but I feel the team would be better if you were to make it more offensive. If you still want it to be more balanced, let me know and I'll make different suggestions.

TL;DR

->
@

@
->

->

Bulky SD -> Offensive SD

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower / Knock Off
- U-turn

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Feel free to take my changes or keep your own; just my suggestions. Hope I helped n_n

Hello there and you have a well built team!
All the above posts are basically what I had in mind when I was looking over this team, however, there is one small detail that I think I should tell you about. Terrakion was pretty bad during the aegi meta, because aegislash was literally on every team, and it walled terrakion to hell and back, forcing it to run earthquake, which isn't a great move to be locked into. But now that aegi is gone (good job smogon), terrakion no longer needs to run earthquake. Instead, I think you should run HP Ice over Earthquake. HP Ice gives you the ability to hit physically defensive gliscor very hard, scarf and non scarf lando-t, and landorus-i. I understand that earthquake and stone edge gives you edgequake and good neutral coverage, but I honestly think that everything that earthquake hits, close combat hits. Important things that earthquake hits in OU is probably excadrill, tyranitar and heatran, while close combat hits all of them the same. So for those reasons I think HP ice is a better choice over earthquake. On Thundurus, I think Psychic is probably a better option over focus blast because ferrothorn does not seem to be too much of a problem, but rather I think when scizor is taken down, mega venusaur will become a bigger problem, so I would go with Psychic over Focus Blast. Even though this team lacks stealth rocks, I can't think of a way to add SR onto the team without messing up the entire team structure or ruining team synergy, so I think I should probably just leave it like this. Everyone else has basically said what I wanted to say, so that's about it :)

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power Ice
- X-Scissor

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hope I helped, good luck n_n

Hey guys, thanks for the rates, guess I better reply.

Hello Puzzle King, nice team you have there! I have some suggestions that I feel improve your team. I have tested the team little bit on the ladder and with some friends, and I feel it has some major weaknesses.

First of all, you don't have any Stealth Rocker, and considering both Mega Charizard X has a really good matchup vs your team, even if you have Mandibuzz and Thundurus-I. It's really hard to keep Mandibuzz healthy throughout the game, especially if it's your Defogger. If Stealth Rocks are up, Mega Charizard X OHKOs after a DD.
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 330-388 (78 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You have Scarf Terrakion to revenge Charizard X, but it doesn't switch in, only revenge kill. CharX OHKOs Terrakion with Outrage after Rocks. To fix these things, I'd suggest Scarf Landorus-Therian > Mandibuzz and Sash Terrakion > Scarf. Terrrakion provides you with an insanely reliable Stealth Rocker, which can be really helpful to your team, considering your issues with Mega Charizard X and Talonflame. Scarf Landorus-T provides you an insanely reliable Revenge Killer. I feel Scarf Lando-T is a better Revenge Killer than Scarf Terrakion, even with the rise of Jolly Charizard X. Lando-T provides Intimidate and U-Turn, which would help your team out more than Terrakion would. I also feel like Mandibuzz kills all of your offensive momentum. Landorus-T handles pretty much everything Mandibuzz does, sacrificing durability for a better offensive presence and giving you instant momentum vs a lot of teams.

Looking at your team, Keldeo and hazards both look quite annoying. Belly Drum Azumarill isn't very reliable vs Keldeo, even though it resists both STABs, Scald completely removes Azumarill from the game. I feel like Latios > Azumarill would be really helpful to your team. It still checks Keldeo, like Azumarill did before, but it also provides you with a defogger, something you would lose if you were to replace Mandibuzz. I personally think HP Fire Latios is the best option, as it allows you to handle Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, two things that are already very annoying to your team.

I feel like your team has an issue with Rotom-W, even if you use Latios or don't, it still can be very annoying to your team if used well. You can bring Latios into it, but it'll just Volt Switch while you switch in, and he'll send out a counter and force you out or Pursuit trap you. I don't think you really need Defensive Mega Scizor, as an offensive can be really helpful in some cases, especially vs teams with Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, or Heatran, all of which are pretty annoying to your team. Offensive Mega Scizor fits really well instead of your current set would be quite beneficial. This set outspeeds standard Rotom-W, Venusaur, and Heatran, all of which commonly are used to check / counter Mega Scizor. It lacks Roost, severally hurting its bulk, but it is far more helpful to your team.

A minor change I'd suggestion is to use LO Taunt Gengar > LO SubSplit. I feel like LO Taunt handles stall better, which is pretty annoying to your team. Both work fine, though, use whichever you like more.

I know your team is called "Balanced Offense", but I feel the team would be better if you were to make it more offensive. If you still want it to be more balanced, let me know and I'll make different suggestions.

TL;DR

->
@

@
->

->

Bulky SD -> Offensive SD

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower / Knock Off
- U-turn

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Feel free to take my changes or keep your own; just my suggestions. Hope I helped n_n
I've been trying out some of your suggestions such as Sash Terrakion and Offensive SD Scizor and have found that I'm still better at playing a more balanced game than a more-offensive one. If it's not to much trouble, can you please leave suggestions to fit my more balanced playstyle. Either ways, thanks for the rate!

Hello there and you have a well built team!
All the above posts are basically what I had in mind when I was looking over this team, however, there is one small detail that I think I should tell you about. Terrakion was pretty bad during the aegi meta, because aegislash was literally on every team, and it walled terrakion to hell and back, forcing it to run earthquake, which isn't a great move to be locked into. But now that aegi is gone (good job smogon), terrakion no longer needs to run earthquake. Instead, I think you should run HP Ice over Earthquake. HP Ice gives you the ability to hit physically defensive gliscor very hard, scarf and non scarf lando-t, and landorus-i. I understand that earthquake and stone edge gives you edgequake and good neutral coverage, but I honestly think that everything that earthquake hits, close combat hits. Important things that earthquake hits in OU is probably excadrill, tyranitar and heatran, while close combat hits all of them the same. So for those reasons I think HP ice is a better choice over earthquake. On Thundurus, I think Psychic is probably a better option over focus blast because ferrothorn does not seem to be too much of a problem, but rather I think when scizor is taken down, mega venusaur will become a bigger problem, so I would go with Psychic over Focus Blast. Even though this team lacks stealth rocks, I can't think of a way to add SR onto the team without messing up the entire team structure or ruining team synergy, so I think I should probably just leave it like this. Everyone else has basically said what I wanted to say, so that's about it :)

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power Ice
- X-Scissor

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hope I helped, good luck n_n
Firehusky, I don't really understand HP Ice on Terrakion. I mainly use EQ to take care of fire types when I don't want to rely on Stone Edge's shaky accuracy. However, I will admit I haven't tried it yet and will still test it before determining if I want to change it or not. As for Psychic, I have been testing it and have decided to change Focus Miss to Psychic as I already have Terrakion with Close Combat and Psychic allows me to take on M-Venu more reliably. Nonetheless, your rate is appreciated.

Thanks for the rate everyone!
-PK

The only important fire types that earthquake is hitting is charizard x, because heatran is already taken out by close combat. Stone edge takes out charizard y, talonflame, and volcarona. With earthquake, the only extra mon you're hitting is charizard x, which doesn't seem to be too much of a problem because of prankster t-wave. With HP ice however, you can take out lando-t, gliscor, garchomp, and other mons that would otherwise wall you pretty hard. I guess earthquake hits doublade, but doublade is not that relevant in OU considering it's only niche is on stall teams to counter mons that aegi would.

PK thanks for the rate on my team :D and seeing as we have the same playstyle maybe i could help :toast: First off firehusky is completely right the only extra poke you can hit is Chari X Hp ice gives you excellent coverage and more room to predict. Hmm as for one thing i see, a Talonflame could give you issues before and after Mandibuzz goes down. Mandibuzz seems to be primarily your wall here so i figured you might need another bulkier pivot since Will-o talonflame or just regular banded talonflame and tear through this team cause after rocks + belly drum + sitrus Tally im sure can OHKO Azu. Will-o seems to be a general issue to your team as it cripples 3 pokes and you have no heal bell or anything. And late game talonflames and cut through it. So i reccomend:

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry

Bold Nature
252 Hp/ 212 Def/ 44 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp

Patches up Talonflame Weakness with BirdSpam, gives you a status "absorber" since you can rest it up and lets you pivot around with volt switch to keep up momentum. This thing doesnt add any more common weaknesses to the team except grass but you can handle that well with scizor and Mandi. Also gives you another wall to work around which is nice. As for who to replace him for i would most likelt wanna take out the poke YOU find least helpful to you by the looks of if though i think gengar wouldnt be missed too too much. anyway hoped i helped very nice team would love to try it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)