XY OU XY OU is coming to an end (Peaked 1863 #36 on ladder and 30-5 w/l ratio on alt)

Sup guys. I'm procrastinating on school stuff (college is tough yikes) so I decided to do an RMT. This is my first RMT and I suck at teambuilding but I'm a pretty good battler. I can ladder to top 500 often and sometimes top 100 and I've won some OU room tourneys (lol these don't even count as good credentials). The original concept for this team was to use uncommon pokemon in OU and win but that didn't work out since there are much better options and my team suddenly became "non unique". Anyway, ORAS is coming out soon and I had a lot of fun with this team so I decided to share it here. I think it's pretty good
Changes in bold.

Proof of peak: http://m.imgur.com/KJLNfKk
Made top 500 with other alts but that's not worth showing lol

And here is the winstreak: http://imgur.com/rQ4LQAh 2 of the losses were actually me getting disconnected which sucked :(

So here is the team:

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

This originally used to be weavile but Bisharp patched up several weaknesses the original version of the team had. The set is pretty standard and I considered changing SD to pursuit to get lati@s' but SD is helpful for sweeps and just setting up on set up fodder. I'm also thinking about changing the LO to a dread plate since iron head is really for clefable, mandibuzz, and other dark types.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind/defog
- Recover

Latios, one of my favorite pokemon, finally got the S rank status he deserved. Latios can fit into any team and that's exactly what its doing on my team. He serves as a switch in to keldeo and can fire off powerful psyshocks and dracos. Also, Latios is the primary way I deal with mega venusaur. So, I have calm mind instead of defog mainly because its really really fun and my team doesnt suffer too much from stealth rocks but if I run into teams that tend to stack spikes or face stall, I change it to defog. Calm mind is a lot of fun and unexpected. It helps latios sweep late game against things that wall it like ferro and heatran. Heatran, magnezone, and ferro cant touch latios and latios can just set up calm minds and fire off dracos at plus 6. Flash cannon from zone does a lot (if its specs) but after about 2 calm minds, it doesnt do enough damage to be threatening. Recover is there for obvious reasons.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Scizor is my second steel type and is my primary sweeper. I use my teammates to weaken things that scizor can't touch and boom. After one swords dance, its usually gg. EVs are pretty standard and swords is to set up. I considered using the SD + 3 attacks set to get bisharp and heatran but I feel that roost helps a lot more. I don't have too much trouble with opposing steel types. Even ferrothorn is taken down by a boosted bug bite. I'm usually able to set up against scarfed lando. For some reason, people always send out lando against scizor (prob because of intimidate). But if they send out lando, and stay in, I can usually set up about 3 SDs and just bullet punch everything. Suggestion from aim to give more speed to scizor. The speed allows scizor to outspeed mega venu and rotom w which allows for a smoother keldeo sweep.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 spdef / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raikou is just so useful. He forms the first part of my volt turn core and fulfills that role really well with his high speed and good spatk. I think I should change the EVs a bit (throw some more into spdef from speed but I'm not sure how much) and the moveset is pretty standard. Shadow ball to hit lati@s hard and other stuff (like gengar) that resist tbolt and hp ice. Volt switch to gain momentum and tbolt for second powerful STAB. And hp ice to hit lando, gliscor, and grass types. Decided to run lefties and throw some evs into defense to better combat birdspam. **Decided to keep assault vest and move some EVs into spdef to better combat special attackers. Defensive lando is able to handle birdspam on his own.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

This guy is probably on every OU team ever. And for good reason. He provides a fast and powerful u-turn serving as a great revenge killer. He forms the second part of my volt turn core and is usually my lead. He's usually safe to lead with since he can just u turn out. Lando is my main birdspam check, taking on tflame and mega pinsir. If both of those threats are on the same team, its pretty tough to take em out so I usually keep lando alive for tflame and latios/raikou for pinsir (since he can only QA them). Moves are pretty standard and I chose superpower over knock off/explosion for chansey, ferro, mega gyara, and kyurem. Decided to run defensive lando because he provides rocks and can take on birdspam a lot better. He can also take on sand rush drill (although pretty uncommon).

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- HP Electric

This was the last addition to my team replacing starmie. Starmie's role was to spin and hit hard with analytic boosted attacks but I realized keldeo fulfilled this role much better (not the spinning part). Keldeo can take on lando and specs hydro pump hits so hard. It can do about half on venusaur (before it mega evolves since venu likes to switch in on keldeo) and pretty much kills everything else. Moveset is pretty standard and I chose hp flying to hit mega venu a bit harder. This is the main way I deal with mew, who my team struggles with, since mew is 2hko'd my hydro pump. Decided to run scarf to beat greninja since I don't have scarf lando anymore. Still hits really hard and has a slight surprise factor since many people expect specs. However, I struggle a bit more against mega venu (which isn't as common anymore) and stallbreaker mew. **Decided to keep the specs since scarf doesn't hit as hard.
***Decided to use scarf again for clean sweeps and changed hp flying to hp electric to handle gyarados.

I don't exactly remember the original team but it went something like weavile, starmie, landorus, mega manectric, gyarados, and someone else. I had a huge bisharp weakness and yeah.

Anyway, I don't have that many replays but here is a low ladder replay that showcases the team pretty well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-178757187

Threatlist
Greninja-the first big threat that stands out. This guy has insane speed and protean to deal huge damage. I usually deal with him using scarf lando and keldeo if he doesn't have grass knot.

Talonflame/mega pinsir-these guys are a threat to every team. Priority brave bird is something every team has to prepare for and landorus can take one banded brave bird. I don't have that much trouble with pinsir since quick attack isn't as powerful as bbird.

Mega Venusaur-this guy was a beast early XY OU and he still is. He is hard to take down because of his thick fat ability and the only psychic and flying moves I have are psyshock and hp flying. Mega venu can put latios to sleep and ohko keldeo with giga drain. And if they're packing hp fire, bye bye scizor and bisharp. If he's not packing hp fire, I can set up and hit him super hard.

Conclusion
Overall, this team performs well with good predictions and double switches and stuff. I know it doesnt have stealth rocks which isn't a great idea but I've done well without it. I have found instances where rocks wouldve been really useful so I'm hoping someone can offer some assistance in improving the team.

My apologies for this rmt being aesthetically unappealing and maybe painful to read but I don't how to all that neat stuff. But thanks for reading and I welcome all criticism, just don't be too harsh pls. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey Dragonite, congrats on the peak! Now, I don't really have much to help you that won't drastically change the make up of the team, but something small that could really help with your weakness to bird spam is changing Raikou's item from AV ==> Leftovers, lefties allow Raikou to gain some valuable passive recovery on forced switches on your opponent's part which could be crucial in living a brave bird from Talon or Quick Attack from Pinsir. On top of this you could move some ev's from Raikou's speed to defense, giving him 224+ and 32 def, which allows it to outspeed max speed Thundurus, but that's really up to you. If you don't mind missing out on speed tying with other 115's like starmie and other raikou's, then go for it, but if not it's not too big of a deal.

Also, I just noticed this, but another option for you to do would be to Change Landorus to Defensive and Keldeo to Scarf. Defensive Landorus is a great asset vs. bird spam and Keldeo is fantastic vs. greninja, both of the main threats that you listed. Having defensive landorus also means that you have rocks on the team so that you can pressure your opponents when they switch.

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Hope I helped! :]

Amazing team I liked the replay too. I just wanted to point out that hp fire on Latinos is an excellent move as it helps remove annoying ferros and scizors as it's pretty unexpected. Defensive lando-t makes sense due to the ability to set up rocks which would be invaluable for ur team. Hope I helped :D

Hey Dragonite, congrats on the peak! Now, I don't really have much to help you that won't drastically change the make up of the team, but something small that could really help with your weakness to bird spam is changing Raikou's item from AV ==> Leftovers, lefties allow Raikou to gain some valuable passive recovery on forced switches on your opponent's part which could be crucial in living a brave bird from Talon or Quick Attack from Pinsir. On top of this you could move some ev's from Raikou's speed to defense, giving him 224+ and 32 def, which allows it to outspeed max speed Thundurus, but that's really up to you. If you don't mind missing out on speed tying with other 115's like starmie and other raikou's, then go for it, but if not it's not too big of a deal.

Also, I just noticed this, but another option for you to do would be to Change Landorus to Defensive and Keldeo to Scarf. Defensive Landorus is a great asset vs. bird spam and Keldeo is fantastic vs. greninja, both of the main threats that you listed. Having defensive landorus also means that you have rocks on the team so that you can pressure your opponents when they switch.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]

So I tried these changes and they are working out pretty great so far. I'll have some replays shortly. Thanks a lot.

Amazing team I liked the replay too. I just wanted to point out that hp fire on Latinos is an excellent move as it helps remove annoying ferros and scizors as it's pretty unexpected. Defensive lando-t makes sense due to the ability to set up rocks which would be invaluable for ur team. Hope I helped :D
I've considered running hp fire on latios in place of calm mind/defog and it works great but I don't struggle too much against ferro and scizor. Thanks a lot c:

Gourghost

Banned deucer.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]

If I may ask, why the 30 SpA IVs?(also the others but special attack is most relevant) Does it do anything special to Raikou? I dont think so, as it doesnt run LO and Leftovers will steadily recover the same amount, so I really wonder whats the reason in these IVs.

Also, one more thought, really, why doesn't Keldeo have an ice move? It prevents it from being completely walled by common dragons such as latios and dnite, and also grants great coverage against a variety of types on the overall. Really, why would you be wanting to stay locked in a Scald when you have Hydro Pump that offers superior power? For the burn? Nah, I think the power is more important, as this Keldeo is offensively based. Id replace Scald with hp ice / icy wind (hp ice better power and accuracy, icy wind drops speed and allows keldeo to outspeed other common scarfed pokemon next turn that would normally outspeed it, for against scarf latios for example.) And again, why the 30 ivs again ?_?

If I may ask, why the 30 SpA IVs?(also the others but special attack is most relevant) Does it do anything special to Raikou? I dont think so, as it doesnt run LO and Leftovers will steadily recover the same amount, so I really wonder whats the reason in these IVs.

Also, one more thought, really, why doesn't Keldeo have an ice move? It prevents it from being completely walled by common dragons such as latios and dnite, and also grants great coverage against a variety of types on the overall. Really, why would you be wanting to stay locked in a Scald when you have Hydro Pump that offers superior power? For the burn? Nah, I think the power is more important, as this Keldeo is offensively based. Id replace Scald with hp ice / icy wind (hp ice better power and accuracy, icy wind drops speed and allows keldeo to outspeed other common scarfed pokemon next turn that would normally outspeed it, for against scarf latios for example.) And again, why the 30 ivs again ?_?
In case you didn't know, your Hidden Power typing is dependent upon your IV spread.

If you changed just one of those IVs you would have a completely different type.

The spread for Hidden Power Flying is E/E/E/E/E/O, e = even numbers, o = odd numbers

If you select hp flying in teambuilder, i dont think you need the ivs in order to make it work.

But still, why no ice coverage on keldeo?
The IVs will automatically change in the teambuilder when a Hidden Power is selected.

Ice coverage isn't mandatory on Keld. It's only option is Icy Wind which has a pretty weak base power. This team doesn't really have trouble with Dragons regardless. It features 2 steel types, a Latios and HP Ice on Raikou. None of Keldeo's moves are expendable either.

I really like your team. For Mega-Scizor, run 248 HP evs less damage from stealth rocks. Also, Knock Off should be run in place of Bug Bite to provide better coverage.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey TheMightyDragonite cool team! Gonna echo Hairy Toenail here and suggest Defensive Landorus-T over Choice Scarf. This helps you with your bird spam weakness as well as gives your team Stealth Rock, which are definitely appreciated as volt-turn easily wears teams down with hazard support. I'm also gonna support his change of AV Raikou to Leftovers Raikou. This allows you to gain that extra bit of recovery that helps when Stealth Rock are present, giving you the recovery you may need to live, as he said, Brave Birds and Quick Attacks when weakened. Lastly I am going to support his suggestion of Choice Scarf Keldeo, as that definitely gives you a nice (and surprising) Greninja check. I would however suggest Hidden Power [Electric] over HP Flying as this better lets you check Gyarados and removes those 50/50's when your opponent DD's with their own Mega Gyarados (they don't usually mega fearing secret sword.)

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

My final suggestion (tbh this is like my only suggestion apart from hp electric and his) is running a bit of speed on your Mega Scizor that way you can outspeed defensive Venusaur and Rotom-W and knock them out with +2 Bug Bite. This leaves a HUGE opening for Choice Scarf Keldeo to tear apart opposing teams with its checks/counters gone.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Anyway, cool team...Hope i helped! :]

Hey TheMightyDragonite cool team! Gonna echo Hairy Toenail here and suggest Defensive Landorus-T over Choice Scarf. This helps you with your bird spam weakness as well as gives your team Stealth Rock, which are definitely appreciated as volt-turn easily wears teams down with hazard support. I'm also gonna support his change of AV Raikou to Leftovers Raikou. This allows you to gain that extra bit of recovery that helps when Stealth Rock are present, giving you the recovery you may need to live, as he said, Brave Birds and Quick Attacks when weakened. Lastly I am going to support his suggestion of Choice Scarf Keldeo, as that definitely gives you a nice (and surprising) Greninja check. I would however suggest Hidden Power [Electric] over HP Flying as this better lets you check Gyarados and removes those 50/50's when your opponent DD's with their own Mega Gyarados (they don't usually mega fearing secret sword.)

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

My final suggestion (tbh this is like my only suggestion apart from hp electric and his) is running a bit of speed on your Mega Scizor that way you can outspeed defensive Venusaur and Rotom-W and knock them out with +2 Bug Bite. This leaves a HUGE opening for Choice Scarf Keldeo to tear apart opposing teams with its checks/counters gone.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Anyway, cool team...Hope i helped! :]
Hey aim! Thanks a lot for the rate I appreciate it. Defensive lando improved my team greatly but I'm still on the fence about the raikou change. Scarf keldeo is a great surprise and works unbelievably great. I love the scizor suggestion as it allows me to win more easily. HP electric on keldeo was a great idea. Thanks again man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)