Toxic
Explosion
Shadow Ball
Hidden power
Weather Ball
Spikes
Crunch
Analysis
Glalie is an interesting pokemon, packing 80 in all stats before mega evolving. Through out the years it's be seen as relatively useless, except for setting up spikes?. But with ORAS it get's a mega evolution! It gets a big boost to it's special attack and physical attack and a smaller boost to speed, now speed tying with Salamence and Volcarona before mega evolving as well as many others. It gets a great ability in refrigerate, making all Normal moves Ice. Though Glalie doesn't have any special normal moves, bar hyper beam, that benefit from this ability it gets a ton of special Ice moves, like Ice beam and Blizzard. It's perfectly capable of going physical as well, with strong returns and body slams. And let's not forget the nuke in Explosion, which after Refrigerate and STAB is 470 BP I think. Explosion is amazing on Glalie, here are some calcs:

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 300-354 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 331-390 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Charizard: 510-600 (142 - 167.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 313-369 (93.7 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Glalie also gets a very spammable move in Body slam, which has 150 BP with an added chance of paralyzation. It also get's Spikes and Taunt making it very viable as a lead, or an improved Azelf if you will. Destroying everything with Explosion after setting up Spikes. Though this will take up your mega spot, and isn't recommended but it's still viable.

Possible sets:

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Explosion
- Body Slam

This is what I predict will be the most common set, utilizing near perfect coverage in Ground and Ice to come in on flying types fearing Ice Shard and potentially Body slam on the switch. I believe this was used to great effect in Pokeaims new video. Earthquake for ground coverage to hit steel and fire types that ice don't. Ice shard for decently powerful Ice Priority

-1 252+ Atk Glalie Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-T: 156-184 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Glalie Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 204-240 (63.9 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Explosion for the nuke, calcs already shown.
Body slam for a very powerful, unavoidable Ice Move. The great thing about Body Slam is that ground types who can't be paralyzed will get hit super effectively by Body Slam, meaning nothing is safe. Body slam + Explosion has a chance to knock out Rotom-W with 44 investments in speed.

Glalie @ Glalitite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Ice Shard

Lead Glalie. This set focuses on being a RU, which is where I predict Glalie to end up, Azelf. Leading and taunting the potential opposition before setting up as many hazards as possible then finishing up with a boom literally. Not much to say about this set, it's mostly self explanatory. Ice shard to scare out Landorus-T.

Feel free to add sets and feedback

Last edited:
Mention Freeze Dry. It helps deal with Water Pokemon like Azumarill that it can't OHKO with Explosion. Cause you know, you can't 2HKO any Pokemon with Explosion.
Honestly, Glalie won't be too good in OU. Ice Typing really hurts it. It also has two pretty useless Abilities before Mega Evolving. Not to mention is has base 80 Speed on that turn. Protect is almost mandatory on every set. I see it being high RU / UU maybe. Azelf as a lead generally is better. A better typing, not using up a Mega slot just to die, Stealth Rocks, the ability to hold an item, and many more support moves, as well as having access to U-Turn.
EDIT: WAIT DOES IT NOT LEARN FREEZE DRY
This thing is even worse than I imagined

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
We're pretty sure it does. Glalie's level up move list in the demo only lists 4 moves so it's obviously not accurate, and data mining shows one of Glacia's Glalies knows Freeze Dry, so unless she's pulled a Lance and Glalie can't actually learn Freeze-Dry, it's reasonable to assume that it'll get it.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I suggest Jolly over Adamant over the sets as with Adamant you get outsped by 87 base speed or higher with a Jolly nature (Excadrill, Kyurem-B, Landorus-T) and you can at least force a speed tie with Jolly Zard X, Jolly Mega Gardevoir, Jolly Mega Medicham, Jolly Victini and Jolly Mence before mega

Mention Freeze Dry. It helps deal with Water Pokemon like Azumarill that it can't OHKO with Explosion.
Cause ya know.
You can't 2HKO any Pokemon with EXPLOSION.
Honestly, Glalie won't be too good in OU. Ice Typing really hurts it. It also has two pretty useless Abilities before Mega Evolving. Not to mention is has base 80 Speed on that turn. Protect is almost mandatory on every set. I see it being high RU / UU maybe. Azelf as a lead generally is better. A better typing, not using up a Mega slot just to die, Stealth Rocks, the ability to hold an item, and many more support moves, as well as having access to U-Turn.
with the combination of Earthquake + Explosion what lives?

with the combination of Earthquake + Explosion what lives?
Anything that outspeeds it, basically. It's bulk is 'meh', and it has a horrible typing. It'll get KO'ed by a lot of things. I'm not saying it's going to be the worst thing ever, just a nitche in OU at best. A suicide Pokemon isn't usually worth a Mega Slot.

Anything that outspeeds it, basically. It's bulk is 'meh', and it has a horrible typing. It'll get KO'ed by a lot of things. I'm not saying it's going to be the worst thing ever, just a nitche in OU at best. A suicide Pokemon isn't usually worth a Mega Slot.
If you actualy read my post, this wall mentioned. I even made a set that would be like an RU Azelf. And nothing survives Explosion + Earthquake ;)

If you actualy read my post
No need to be so rude. I was just making a point. I read the post, I just don't think this thing even deserves an OU thread.
Sure, not a lot of Pokemon live the EarthSplosion combination, but again, a suicide Mega Pokemon isn't too good, as proved by Mega Banette. It's got a very awkward Speed tier. Even the all out attacking set is kinda outclassed. There is literally no point using it in OU.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
No need to be so rude. I was just making a point. I read the post, I just don't think this thing even deserves an OU thread.
Sure, not a lot of Pokemon live the EarthSplosion combination, but again, a suicide Mega Pokemon isn't too good, as proved by Mega Banette. It's got a very awkward Speed tier. Even the all out attacking set is kinda outclassed. There is literally no point using it in OU.
The point of using M-Glalie in OU would be for hazard offense. Explosion is just a ticket out when it's about go down not just to use Explosion right away. It's not exactly the greatest of the great but you're missing the point that when paired with partners that appreciate hazard stacking it can be a threat to slower mons and those that lack a real offensive presence. Also Protect is not mandatory. Why do people establish this common misconception as fact for some mega evolutions? Switch into something that isn't as threatening and you're good to go. Why are you trying attempting to use Explosion on bulky water types to nab a KO lol. That logic makes no sense and the idea is to threaten non resists anyways.

The point of using M-Glalie in OU would be for hazard offense. Explosion is just a ticket out when it's about go down not just to use Explosion right away. It's not exactly the greatest of the great but you're missing the point that when paired with partners that appreciate hazard stacking it can be a threat to slower mons and those that lack a real offensive presence. Also Protect is not mandatory. Why do people establish this common misconception as fact for some mega evolutions? Switch into something that isn't as threatening and you're good to go. Why are you trying attempting to use Explosion on bulky water types to nab a KO lol. That logic makes no sense and the idea is to threaten non resists anyways.
Well, my question to you is, why would you use Glalie over Azelf? I certainly wouldn't want to waste my Mega Slot on something that's just used for hazards. Sorry if I came off a bit rude, I just don't understand the hype for Glalie. Maybe it's just for the fact that I haven't tested it on the ladder yet, but still.
Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're getting at. The all out attacking set is outclassed by Mamoswine (bar Explosion), who gets STAB on Earthquake as well as having Rock Slide.

Reactions: zbr

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Well, my question to you is, why would you use Glalie over Azelf? I certainly wouldn't want to waste my Mega Slot on something that's just used for hazards. Sorry if I came off a bit rude, I just don't understand the hype for Glalie. Maybe it's just for the fact that I haven't tested it on the ladder yet, but still.
Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're getting at. The all out attacking set is outclassed by Mamoswine (bar Explosion), who gets STAB on Earthquake as well as having Rock Slide.
The issue with Azelf is that it doesn't actually maintain any sort of offensive presence. It usually just leads, does what it needs to, then goes down. At least with M-Glalie you can come back in, maintain some offense, spike stack, and then go boom when necessary. M-Glalie has a better speed tier as well so at the very least it can speed tie with other base 100s unlike Mamo who would receive the brunt of their blows. Yeah M-Glalie isn't some crazy thing but it definitely has its ups.

I cant see mega glalie as a mega made to set up a set of spikes then go boom. This is the set ive been using lately and its been working fairly well:

Glalie @ Glalitite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Crunch/Explosion
- Frustration/Return

• Frustration/Return because the paralysis from body slam for me seems too uncommon to give up the extra power.
  • EQ and Ice Shard for the same purposes as the above reasons
  • Crunch for that last bit of extra coverage, but might actually replace soon due to not exactly being used often or if you go explosion(which i see most people use anyways -_-) then it can at least be sure to take down whatever pokemon its opposing if you say, come in on rocks and cant switch out to switch back in

I run this set usually with rocks and webs, or at least webs. With webs, ive forund no need for body slam and replaced it with the higher damaging move, and with rocks even more damage is dealt toward that OHKO.

AM

LCPL Champion
So on to relevant topic.....

Alright so after testing M-Glalie out a bit on some more hyper offensive builds I can say that it has a niche or two that can be beneficial. First off with Spikes, M-Glalie forces a lot of switches due to the nature of its ability and typing so this is pretty solid on offensive teams that hazard stack. Super Fang needs a mention somewhere because that + Explosion beats just about everything and paves the way for not only it to KO something with much more ease, but to KO something with partners as well. It's easily the most spammable move with no real opportunity cost as well considering you're cutting somethings HP in half. Ice shard is alright for basic revenge killing but I've never actually found myself considering it after testing it out some more and I usually appreciate the power of everything else. Taunt is nice and all but in this meta right now I wouldn't even bother using it because it's only good against much more passive builds and passive builds are pretty rare with the offensive meta we have.

As for partners that work you'll want a Stealth Rock user such as Clefable or Lando-T. You want things that appreciate hazard support such as Greninja and Bisharp. On the topic of Bisharp, both Defiant Bisharp and Defiant Thundurus, even Prankster Thundurus in general, are some excellent partners for Mega Glalie. Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, HP Fire/ Gunk Shot Greninjas I find are the best variants as they handle just about everything Glalie would have trouble with. This is barring things like Slowbro but a Slowbro answer is easy to find on teams of this sort, plus Thundurus was already mentioned. Pivots in general like Rotom-W and Lando-T will help with Spike stacking continuously. I haven't tried out Body Slam yet but tbh Frustration/Return just has way more power and Glalie needs that power to be a threat due to being forced to run a speed increasing nature.

Glalie @ Glalitite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Spikes

Sets there for general purposes for what I've been using. This is more of a hit and run set as Super Fang can be replaced with a more reliable attack like Return for some consistency.

Definitely seconding what AM said about Super Fang, it's definitely one of the better options for Glalie to deal with things that are bulkier and don't necessarily go down in one boom. Nothing is particularly safe switching in on that either.

Alright so after testing M-Glalie out a bit on some more hyper offensive builds I can say that it has a niche or two that can be beneficial. First off with Spikes, M-Glalie forces a lot of switches due to the nature of its ability and typing so this is pretty solid on offensive teams that hazard stack. Super Fang needs a mention somewhere because that + Explosion beats just about everything and paves the way for not only it to KO something with much more ease, but to KO something with partners as well. It's easily the most spammable move with no real opportunity cost as well considering you're cutting somethings HP in half. Ice shard is alright for basic revenge killing but I've never actually found myself considering it after testing it out some more and I usually appreciate the power of everything else. Taunt is nice and all but in this meta right now I wouldn't even bother using it because it's only good against much more passive builds and passive builds are pretty rare with the offensive meta we have.

As for partners that work you'll want a Stealth Rock user such as Clefable or Lando-T. You want things that appreciate hazard support such as Greninja and Bisharp. On the topic of Bisharp, both Defiant Bisharp and Defiant Thundurus, even Prankster Thundurus in general, are some excellent partners for Mega Glalie. Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, HP Fire/ Gunk Shot Greninjas I find are the best variants as they handle just about everything Glalie would have trouble with. This is barring things like Slowbro but a Slowbro answer is easy to find on teams of this sort, plus Thundurus was already mentioned. Pivots in general like Rotom-W and Lando-T will help with Spike stacking continuously. I haven't tried out Body Slam yet but tbh Frustration/Return just has way more power and Glalie needs that power to be a threat due to being forced to run a speed increasing nature.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Spikes

Sets there for general purposes for what I've been using. This is more of a hit and run set as Super Fang can be replaced with a more reliable attack like Return for some consistency.
I tried this set out and it seems to have pretty good consistency in what it does. Spikes could be replaced with Body slam or Frustration/Return in case you want an ice move that dosent cause itself a KO

AM

LCPL Champion
I tried this set out and it seems to have pretty good consistency in what it does. Spikes could be replaced with Body slam or Frustration/Return in case you want an ice move that dosent cause itself a KO
I rather just use Spikes simply for the fact that it provides some role compression so that you don't have to run something else with Spikes or have a lack of it, which would make it a bit harder for some partners to clean up mid-late game. That's just me though.

I rather just use Spikes simply for the fact that it provides some role compression so that you don't have to run something else with Spikes or have a lack of it, which would make it a bit harder for some partners to clean up mid-late game. That's just me though.
true. I like the idea of spikes on it so as to not waste a pokemon slot for something for specifically spikes, and i even tried it with spikes and it works really well

Glalie @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Spikes

Thank you. I was going to post a set like this if nobody else did. I don't think Super Fang in conjunction with Explosion is the best idea though. You can actually kill more than one thing if you used Double Edge/Return instead, as the only pokemon likely to survive the combo is Mega Aggron. Also, for funsies...

Glalie @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Substitute
- Body Slam
- Headbutt

Glalie forcing switches can get behind Substitute fairly easily. Behind which you can abuse icy Body Slams for paralysis and then paraflinch to death. Super Fang for most defensive walls and Steel switch ins.

AM

LCPL Champion
Thank you. I was going to post a set like this if nobody else did. I don't think Super Fang in conjunction with Explosion is the best idea though. You can actually kill more than one thing if you used Double Edge/Return instead, as the only pokemon likely to survive the combo is Mega Aggron. Also, for funsies...

Glalie @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Super Fang
- Substitute
- Body Slam
- Headbutt

Glalie forcing switches can get behind Substitute fairly easily. Behind which you can abuse icy Body Slams for paralysis and then paraflinch to death. Super Fang for most defensive walls and Steel switch ins.
Yeah Explosion is better on Spike Setting variants due to the nature of what teams they are put on which would usually be more offensive. I know what you're going for with Headbutt but I would still use EQ on it so you're not Heatran food. Then again that's a pretty trolly set and I've seen crazier lol.

*shrugs* I figure that Super Fang is as good on a switch as is and lets you easily switch to something to set up, like a Heatran of your own, or something like Natural Cure Starmie which can also spin away Rocks if Heatran predicts a switch.

Glalie-m seems a little too specialised for me. All people seem to run are ice moves; ice shard, return, explosion... Plus, very few of its notable moves aren't ice type (shadow ball, crunch, HP, EQ), so it doesn't seem like it has much use other than a dragon/maybe bird-killer. While it does have interestingly high atk. and spa. stats, it doesn't really have a diverse enough movepool to fully utilise them.

While it has some strong ice typing, ice isn't a flattering type. It's easily knocked out by medicham-m/terrakion fighting type/rock type STABS, as well as bullet punchers (such as scizor) while lacking any real super-effective damage (other than perhaps hidden power or shadow ball) to counter them with. Oh, and it's also weak to rocks.

It does fill a specific niche quite nicely, but personally I'd like it a whole lot more if it wasn't quite so specific.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Glalie is definitely confirmed to get Freeze-Dry in ORAS. http://pastebin.com/s0sUSrHf
Rotom-W and friends won't be an issue any longer.
252+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 224-266 (73.6 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is actually amazing! I wonder if anything else gets any interesting moves...

Suicide Spiker seems the best set to me. It doesn't seems like it will go any further than low UU/High RU, maybe BL2 but no way OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)