Other ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarf keldeo is also good, but gets worn down quick and will struggle to beat the darks throughout the game. Keldeo would work better on an offensive team, while coballion is rly good on balanced. But seriously, i am with you, i think mega latias is too much for the meta.
Actually, Scarf Keldeo takes the moves that Greninja, a solid check for Mega Latias, uses against Latias very well. Keldeo doesn't care about Ice Beam or Dark Pulse, and SS is super effective against those Protean types defensively. Cobalion really doesn't like Low Kick Greninja or HP Fire Greninja, both common options.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 283-338 (87.6 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 260-307 (80.4 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dark Pulse Ninja especially gives the MLatias+Cobalion core fits, Scarf Keldeo is one of the best answers to Greninja out there now that Extrasensory Ninja is a relic. Cobalion handles Bisharp better, but Scarf Keldeo also handles it well.

Okay. What's with all this hype about Stored Power M-Latias? It's a gimmick at best. The set the above guy used - Sub/Recover/CM/SP - is 100% cockblocked by any dark-type, shown very well with the first replay, where Gyarados got a safe switch-in (misclick didn't matter, opponent could have sacked something anyway), got a free DDance, and wreaked havoc. and while I can and will vouch for CM M-Latias, Stored Power is most certainly not the way to go. I'd go with CM/Dragon Pulse/Roost/Psyshock - doesn't lose to any dark-type, and only needs one CM to be effective.

And while M-Latias will certainly be S-Rank, it is nowhere near broken - it's just a normal Latias will buffed stats. CM is its most broken set, and even then, her typing is more reactionary than stationary (like Heatran or Slowbro). You simply cannot cover every dragon, every fairy, and every dark-type, not to mention scarfed/banded mons with U-turn like Lando-T and TFlame, without overcentralizing the team on her, resulting in one win condition and a supbar team in general.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Actually, in this new and young ORAS meta where mmence flys around everywhere and everyone runs weavile/Mamo cores, I think expert belt Keld should make a return cause it allows to smack mmence hard with icy wins and allows us to hide and bluff a choice item. It also allows use to switch up moves, which is very important to not give crazy powerful megas a chance to come in and set up.
I really wouldn't be relying on Keldeo to deal with Mega Salamence in general tbh. Between Aerilate and boosted Speed in Mega form, Keldeo is shaky vs. it at best. Sure, Scarf Keldeo outspeeds Mega Mence before the DD, but the Mega Salamence user isn't really smart if they bring it in on something it can't safely DD against. Scarf Keldeo is also offense's most reliable answer to Greninja, which is near impossible for offensive teams to deal with now thanks to its new access to Low Kick and Gunk Shot.

Talenheim, the problem with Mega Latias is that once Dark-types are gone (not hard to get rid of tbh) it sets up on a very large portion of the meta. Even Ferrothorn, a reliable check to it before (outright countered non-HP Fire sets) is pretty easy to setup on now since Mega Latias can just drain Gyro Ball PP before having a Sub to block Leech Seed / TWave. CM, Roost, 2 attacks isn't really bad either, but Stored Power Mega Latias can begin setting up at a moments notice and win an entire game once Dark-types are gone. Take this replay for example. I didn't exactly play that well, but even through the parahax, Latias wins because my opponent had lost his Dark-type and couldn't break through Mega Latias's stupid good bulk due to a lack of a STAB super effective move (Mega Lopunny's Ice Punch did less than 35%, which is kinda ridiculous)

That said, I still think Mega Salamence is better than Mega Latias since it needs next to 0 support to completely destroy anything in its path. Hazard control is nice, but not super mandatory. A slow Volt Switch / U-turn user basically gives it free reign on what it chooses to set up on. The big issue I have with it is that if you lack Ice Shard, you can't revenge kill it. +20 Speed is enough to put it ahead of every useful Scarf user in the tier after a DD. And good luck taking a hit from it at +1. Intimidate and +50 Defense in Mega form makes it stupid easy for Mega Salamence to setup on physical attackers that lack Ice-type moves or STAB Dragon / Rock / Fairy moves.

That said, I still think Mega Salamence is better than Mega Latias since it needs next to 0 support to completely destroy anything in its path. Hazard control is nice, but not super mandatory. A slow Volt Switch / U-turn user basically gives it free reign on what it chooses to set up on. The big issue I have with it is that if you lack Ice Shard, you can't revenge kill it. +20 Speed is enough to put it ahead of every useful Scarf user in the tier after a DD. And good luck taking a hit from it at +1. Intimidate and +50 Defense in Mega form makes it stupid easy for Mega Salamence to setup on physical attackers that lack Ice-type moves or STAB Dragon / Rock / Fairy moves.
Which mega mence set, in particular, are you talking about that requires very little support? I am not trying to question the validity of your point. I am simply asking the question because I just don't know the answer to it. I understand the bulky DD and/or sub+DD sets are considered the most dominant M-Mence set amongst its pool of various amazing sets.

That might sound wierd, but has anyone thought about using a Mixed Tank Mega Latias?

I am still trying to build that kind of set after seeing how well Mega Venusaur did early XY and sadly so far I have not seeing any situation where I wouldn't have passed without a standard set of Latias besides being able to 2HKO Specially Defensive Heatran with Earthquake.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
CM Mega Latias is being overhyped, especially Stored Power sets, which have zero revenge killing presence. Outside of Dark-types, you have Mega Metagross, Toxic Chansey, CM Mega Gardevoir, DD Mega Altaria, Azumarill, SD Mega Scizor, and Perish Song Celebi as hard counters, as well as specially bulky phazers such as Heatran, Empoleon, and Skarmoy as checks. But having zero offensive presence from the get go fucking sucks, and you can't even fuck up stall in return, the playstyle against which Stored Power is supposed to help the most against.

CM + two attacks seems to the best CM set, because it isn't hard countered by Fairy or Dark-types and can get past them eventually.

Last edited:
That might sound wierd, but has anyone thought about using a Mixed Tank Mega Latias?

I am still trying to build that kind of set after seeing how well Mega Venusaur did early XY and sadly so far I have not seeing any situation where I wouldn't have passed without a standard set of Latias besides being able to 2HKO Specially Defensive Heatran with Earthquake.
sounds more like a job for mega latios tbh

+

This balanced core is so, so good. CM + stored power mega latias and coballion is a core that daftmau5 and I have used heavily and built a really effective team around. Cm stored power latias will simply destroy teams when they are lacking a dark type, but you need to remove the dark type first. Coballion is an excellent pokemon for absorbing dark attacks from weavile and bisharp, as well as providing stealth rocks, t-wave support and volt switch momentum.

Here is just one replay where cobballion displays its ridiculous bulk, t-waves mence and thus there is a latias sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-178532888

This is another replay, were coballion was able to force out bisharp throughout the game, but eventually went down, but it allowed for me to take out bish and sweep with latias.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-176495726

Edit: forgot to paste the sets lol http://pastebin.com/EAuEASpk

also shoutout to Disorient for helping innovate this set.
Have you considered slashing Refresh over Substitute on Latias? It could help against faster status users, especially Klefki, who otherwise can cripple Mega Latias with priority TWave and break Subs with Play Rough.

0 Atk Klefki Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Mega Latias: 110-132 (30.3 - 36.3%) -- 41.9% chance to 3HKO

That breaks the Sub, and then you either eat the subsequent TWave or are forced out.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Have you considered slashing Refresh over Substitute on Latias? It could help against faster status users, especially Klefki, who otherwise can cripple Mega Latias with priority TWave and break Subs with Play Rough.

0 Atk Klefki Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Mega Latias: 110-132 (30.3 - 36.3%) -- 41.9% chance to 3HKO

That breaks the Sub, and then you either eat the subsequent TWave or are forced out.
Klefki with foul play won't break your sub
0 Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Mega Latias: 74-88 (20.3 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

If you know your opponent has the Play Rough to break your sub, it is probably too early to set up, as a paralysis is very bad when you're trying to sweep. But the opportunity to sub and set up much easier is just better in 90% of the games in my opinion, especially when you outspeed very much things with 110 base speed and you can sub when you predict a status

The Lando-Skar-Sharp Core is predominantly designed to have answers to all of Sharpedo's weaknesses. Mega Venusaur lacking HP Fire gets walled by Skarmory while Lando punishes Mega Venu with Sheer Force LO-Boosted Psychic. Strong Jaw-Boosted Crunch can still net a 2HKO on 252/240+ Physically Defensive Mega Venusaur. Lando makes Electric attacks moot to both members of this core, while Skarmory shrugs off Fairy, Fighting & Bug (Mega Beedrill U-Turns MURDER Sharpedo) attacks that would normaly plague Mega Shark. Can't Boost on Skarmory thanks to Whirlwind.

I'm pretty sure I'm overlooking something here but can't think of anything else.

Any advice would be appreciated. ^_^

Sharpedo @ Sharpedite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Speed Boost -> Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature (+Atk,-SpA)
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Destiny Bond

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature (+Def,-SpA)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock / Defog

Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature (+Spe,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast

Last edited:
Klefki with foul play won't break your sub
0 Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 160+ Def Mega Latias: 74-88 (20.3 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

If you know your opponent has the Play Rough to break your sub, it is probably too early to set up, as a paralysis is very bad when you're trying to sweep. But the opportunity to sub and set up much easier is just better in 90% of the games in my opinion, especially when you outspeed very much things with 110 base speed and you can sub when you predict a status
Actually, you don't outspeed as much as you would think with the set in the OP, you max out at speed creeping base 78 with max speed (aka Jolly Diggersby). You can always speed creep higher tiers, but that also increases the amount of things that can break you physically. Anyway, Play Rough Klefki vs Mega Latias functions almost the same way Play Rough Kelfki functions against GeoXern in Ubers, and Refresh gives you a better chance to win in that situation.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

The Lando-Skar-Sharp Core is predominantly designed to have answers to all of Sharpedo's weaknesses. Mega Venusaur lacking HP Fire gets walled by Skarmory while Lando punishes Mega Venu with Sheer Force LO-Boosted Psychic. Strong Jaw-Boosted Crunch can still net a 2HKO on 252/240+ Physically Defensive Mega Venusaur. Lando makes Electric attacks moot to both members of this core, while Skarmory shrugs off Fairy, Fighting & Bug (Mega Beedrill U-Turns MURDER Sharpedo) attacks that would normaly plague Mega Shark. Can't Boost on Skarmory thanks to Whirlwind.

I'm pretty sure I'm overlooking something here but can't think of anything else.

Any advice would be appreciated. ^_^

Sharpedo @ Sharpedite
Ability: Speed Boost -> Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature (+Atk,-SpA)
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Destiny Bond

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature (+Def,-SpA)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock / Defog

Landorus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature (+Spe,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast

Megaman can do a lot of damage to this core seeing as it gets a free switch/kill everytime it comes in on all 3 members barring a predicted earth power from LandI . An option is to have a fourth member to the core being spdef tran. Which allows you to take mega man nicely and gives you an option for rocks so that you can run Defog on skarm. It can also let you absorb wow/toxic so that sharpedo has less to worry.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Reposting from speculation thread, becuase it didn't know this thread existed lol. As Albacore said in the speculation thread, CM Mega-Latias is one of the better Megas out there. If sets up on basically everything without a STAB super-effective move, and is only hard-stopped by Dark-types. It also forces alot of switches, becuase of the huge amount of Pokemon it sets up on. To take advantage of this, running Spike-stack alongside it is really cool. Here is a balanced core that goes well with almost all playstyles, and does generally well.

So basically, Empoleon + Chesnaught is not only capable of setting both Stealth Rock and Spikes, but they also beat almost every Dark-type out there. Chesnaught is capable of switching into Bisharp, Mega Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Sharpedo. Empoleon beats Greninja, which is really huge, as well as being a great switch-in opposing Lati@s and Clefable. Good additions to this core includes Pokemon capable of beating Meba Sableye and LO Gengar with Focus Blast, the two biggest threats to the core. Having a check to Salamence is also advised, becuase Chesnaught gives it a lot of free turns. Other than this though, the core is really solid, and it capitalizes on the insane power that is Mega Latias.

Latias @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Stored Power

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar / Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OFFENSIVE CORE:

MixMence + Ttar + Excadrill

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 84 Atk / 208 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This is a pretty simple offensive core, focused on using MixMence as a wallbreaker and lure to ensure an Excadrill sweep. Most of Salamence's best answers (Rotom-W, Hippowdon, Skarmory, etc.) are also counters for Excadrill, so breaking them down with special attacks can give Drill a clear path to victory.

Start with a standard sand core - Tyranitar is an effective check on birdspam (including Salamence, thanks to Ice Beam and decent SpA and bulk investment - EV and set taken from TheEnder as it works quite well on the ORAS ladder), and sets rocks and sand for the team. Excadrill does what Excadrill does - spins away hazards and shreds teams with its STABs. MixMence lures out things like Rotom-W, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Hippo, only to destroy them with Draco Meteor and Fire Blast. With the given EV spread, Mence has a guaranteed OHKO on Skarmory and Ferro with Fire Blast after rocks, while still packing a powerful Frustration to put a major dent in things like Azumarill or Chansey. Meanwhile, Draco Meteor puts a big dent in things like Slowbro, Rotom-W and Hippo, dealing at least 60% damage to all of them.

With these threats gone or weakened, Excadrill has a clear path to a sweep. Even better, Mence can use its bulk to resist the Aqua Jets and Mach Punches that threaten Excadrill and Ttar, and hit its users hard with Aerilate Frustration.

REPLAY:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-178083804

Short battle (13 turns) and only in the mid-1300s on the ORAS ladder, but it's the only saved replay I have with a team using this core. Still, you can see the core do some work - despite getting Toxic'd early in the match, Salamence pretty much single handedly takes out the team's defensive core, paving the way for an easy sweep with Excadrill.

Last edited:
Megaman can do a lot of damage to this core seeing as it gets a free switch/kill everytime it comes in on all 3 members barring a predicted earth power from LandI . An option is to have a fourth member to the core being spdef tran. Which allows you to take mega man nicely and gives you an option for rocks so that you can run Defog on skarm. It can also let you absorb wow/toxic so that sharpedo has less to worry.
Yes, in order to mitigate MegaMan... Heatran would be a very nice partner for the rest of the team... I was thinking ahead that if this were to be a full team, then Eviolite Chansey would pair wonderfully with Skarmory for the SkarmChans defensive core.

Didn't want to turn this into an entire RMT... (though I did did an ORAS UU Team ^_^) but I would explore this option in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: zbr
Which mega mence set, in particular, are you talking about that requires very little support? I am not trying to question the validity of your point. I am simply asking the question because I just don't know the answer to it. I understand the bulky DD and/or sub+DD sets are considered the most dominant M-Mence set amongst its pool of various amazing sets.
He's most likely talking about the subDD, which is the most dominant mega salamence set at the moment. Offensive mega dd is ok compared to the subDD or bulkier DD variants.

Actually, Scarf Keldeo takes the moves that Greninja, a solid check for Mega Latias, uses against Latias very well. Keldeo doesn't care about Ice Beam or Dark Pulse, and SS is super effective against those Protean types defensively. Cobalion really doesn't like Low Kick Greninja or HP Fire Greninja, both common options.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 283-338 (87.6 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 260-307 (80.4 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dark Pulse Ninja especially gives the MLatias+Cobalion core fits, Scarf Keldeo is one of the best answers to Greninja out there now that Extrasensory Ninja is a relic. Cobalion handles Bisharp better, but Scarf Keldeo also handles it well.
after 1 cm if greninja switches in, it can LO recoil stall greninja with cm + roost. ;_;

+
+
+

Mega Sceptile + Scizor + Rotom-W + Talonflame

Sceptile is a fast and dangerous mofo. I've found him to be most threatening on fast and powerful Volturn cores and to keep up good momentum. Sceptile handles Rotom's only weakness with aplomp, and Rotom takes the Ice and Flying attacks aimed at Sceptile, and use Volt Turn. Talonflame threatens with priority Brave Bird and can use Flare Blitz to take care of some annoying Steels that Sceptile may have trouble getting past like Ferrothorn (Focus Blast is 2HKO, if it hits, not factoring Protect/Leftovers). Finally Scizor is a great bulky Steel type that can Defog those annoying hazards away to keep switching manageable, has a powerful STAB U-Turn, and Bullet Punch is really helpful against Mega Altaria and a few other Fairy types.

I alternate between sets for everyone but Sceptile. Scizor is good with bulky Leftovers, Talonflame at times is great with Choice Band and better others with Swords Dance, and Rotom-W works well with either Specs or Scarf, otherwise Chestorest would provide pretty much your only means of absorbing status if you don't use a cleric. You obviously also want a good rock setter. Excadrill can both lay and spin allowing you to replace Defog on Scizor with Knock Off or Superpower. Landorus-T can also lay rocks and provide some serious physical bulk with Intimidate and also has U-Turn. Then of course there's mixed Greninja who can abuse U-Turn/Gunk Shot. Finally Infernape is the best Steel killer with a combination of Close Combat and Overheat.

I'm still working on the perfect balance. It's hard to constantly prep for varying threats right now in this unfocused meta.

Okay I've been working on this core recently:

upload_2014-11-1_12-34-33.gif

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

upload_2014-11-1_12-34-17.gif

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

celebi.gif
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Recover

So this is a pretty cool nasty pass core that has great defensive synergy together. Altaria and Heatran Function very well together with heatran covering Mega Altarias Ice and fairy weakness while Altaria can cover for water types and most ground types. Finally Celebi is added as an incredibly bulky pivot that also gives the core extra firepower by passing nasty plot boosts. Two specific pokemon that I have found that really give this core trouble are mamoswine and Weavile, so make sure you have a check for both of them. Finally some good partners for this core are strong physical attackers such as Azumarill and Talonflame. I do recommend that if talonflame is used to include tailwind as an option seems as heatran and mega altaria really enjoy that speed boost. I didn't save any of my games but when I have some good ones I'll try add them on. Cheers!

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Okay I've been working on this core recently:

View attachment 29238
Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

View attachment 29237
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

View attachment 29236
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Recover

So this is a pretty cool nasty pass core that has great defensive synergy together. Altaria and Heatran Function very well together with heatran covering Mega Altarias Ice and fairy weakness while Altaria can cover for water types and most ground types. Finally Celebi is added as an incredibly bulky pivot that also gives the core extra firepower by passing nasty plot boosts. Two specific pokemon that I have found that really give this core trouble are mamoswine and Weavile, so make sure you have a check for both of them. Finally some good partners for this core are strong physical attackers such as Azumarill and Talonflame. I do recommend that if talonflame is used to include tailwind as an option seems as heatran and mega altaria really enjoy that speed boost. I didn't save any of my games but when I have some good ones I'll try add them on. Cheers!
I'd probably run Natural cure Altaria that way you can at least absorb a status effect before M-Evo and switch out to something else.

Mega Metagross kind of dismantles that core. Standard Jolly set with EQ, Meteor Mash and Ice Punch (doesn't really need it though) hits all three. I'd consider putting Thunder Wave on Celebi, especially if its an Agility version, so either Altaria or Heatran can land their Fire moves. Plus, they're relatively slow in general, you'll appreciate the speed advantage.

Mega Metagross kind of dismantles that core. Standard Jolly set with EQ, Meteor Mash and Ice Punch (doesn't really need it though) hits all three. I'd consider putting Thunder Wave on Celebi, especially if its an Agility version, so either Altaria or Heatran can land their Fire moves. Plus, they're relatively slow in general, you'll appreciate the speed advantage.
Okay thanks I hadn't considered that. I guess I have been lucky and not run into a metagross yet. But yeah I had been using tailwind with some success to raise their speed because as you stated, all three are relatively slow.

AM I might have to give natural cure a try. Often I have switched my altaria into an unexpected thunderwave which natural cure would have fixed.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
+
+
+

Mega Sceptile + Scizor + Rotom-W + Talonflame

Sceptile is a fast and dangerous mofo. I've found him to be most threatening on fast and powerful Volturn cores and to keep up good momentum. Sceptile handles Rotom's only weakness with aplomp, and Rotom takes the Ice and Flying attacks aimed at Sceptile, and use Volt Turn. Talonflame threatens with priority Brave Bird and can use Flare Blitz to take care of some annoying Steels that Sceptile may have trouble getting past like Ferrothorn (Focus Blast is 2HKO, if it hits, not factoring Protect/Leftovers). Finally Scizor is a great bulky Steel type that can Defog those annoying hazards away to keep switching manageable, has a powerful STAB U-Turn, and Bullet Punch is really helpful against Mega Altaria and a few other Fairy types.

I alternate between sets for everyone but Sceptile. Scizor is good with bulky Leftovers, Talonflame at times is great with Choice Band and better others with Swords Dance, and Rotom-W works well with either Specs or Scarf, otherwise Chestorest would provide pretty much your only means of absorbing status if you don't use a cleric. You obviously also want a good rock setter. Excadrill can both lay and spin allowing you to replace Defog on Scizor with Knock Off or Superpower. Landorus-T can also lay rocks and provide some serious physical bulk with Intimidate and also has U-Turn. Then of course there's mixed Greninja who can abuse U-Turn/Gunk Shot. Finally Infernape is the best Steel killer with a combination of Close Combat and Overheat.

I'm still working on the perfect balance. It's hard to constantly prep for varying threats right now in this unfocused meta.
Tbh I really feel like this core is better as just SD Mega Sceptile / CB Talonflame; having 4 mons is a bit much imp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)