Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Little Mac is my 3rd main (1st is Lucario, 2nd is Shulk; I use King Dedede and Ike as counterpick characters against Little Mac and Ness, respectively) and projectiles are really annoying for Mac. I've gotten into the habit of using Jolt Haymaker to dodge projectiles and still be able to approach, but it's risky because it's easy to fall off the stage with that move; from there, you're screwed. Otherwise, I'll just approach very carefully, get in an attack, and roll out very quickly to avoid grabs. As for getting back on stage with Little Mac, Jolt Haymaker seems to be most effective at getting Mac back on stage; sort of like Ike's Quick draw being more effective at recovery than Aether.

Also, is it just me or is Ike a bit better than he was in Brawl? Quick draw seems to cover more distance than it did in Brawl, so recovery is much better. Also, if you hit someone mid-air with Quick draw, it no longer leaves you in a helpless state (iirc, it did in Brawl.) His attacks are still slow as balls though, but my (nonexistent) god that edgeguarding ability...
Didn't know someone used the same main and 2nd main as me. Nice. Anyway, I feel as though Ike's Quick Draw has about the same distance, maybe a little less. That said, the fact you can keep a little bit of momentum after hitting someone is really nice, especially when trying to recover, whereas you'd stop immediately after the swing in Brawl. His down tilt is much, much faster than it was in Brawl for sure, but the rest of his attacks are still kind of slow. That said, I think Ike got an overall nerf. More projectile-based characters aren't a welcome sight for Ike, and it doesn't help that Rosalina is basically the new Meta Knight. Meta Knight could edgeguard Ike to hell in Brawl, but Roaslina can just sit there and outcamp Ike like there's no tomorrow thanks to Luma.

I know they were kind of thrown away within the first couple of weeks after release, but has anyone come around and found a way to utilize the space animals (Fox and Falco) with consistency now that the game is nearly a month old?

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I just (accidentally) got one of the most amazing KOs I've ever seen/done, lol.

it starts at 2:20.

sorry for shit quality :[ it's against a dude from smashboards.
so lookin at that in slow-mo...he bairs you, you bouncing fish as he upspecials, and the second he reappears, before he grabs the ledge, you land the first hit of bouncing fish, bounce back, and land the second hit of bouncing fish, causing him to go flying.
holy crap that was exquisite o_o

So how's everyone doing completion wise? I've got 3 challenge tiles left; the ones for all smash run powers, 50 hours in Smash mode, and all outfits + hats + specials. I also have 672 trophies and all the gold I'll ever need I'm pretty sure lol. Right now I'm spamming Smash Runs on every character until I've unlocked all of their specials and then moving on, and I've gathered 336 special moves, which leaves 48 to unlock I think. I also have 36 hats and 12 outfits.
Ive got those and the 1000 KOs left. Who did you guys beat intensity 9 classic with? For me it was bowser.

Pic of the day. In Stage Builder, you can draw lines on your Wii U GamePad to create stages!! It might not be the easiest stage to battle on, but you can even make stages like this one. For more details on how this works, check out "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 50-Fact Extravaganza" (“Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 50 Must-See Things”).

For Americas: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/10-23-2014/
For Europe: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html
For Oceania: http://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendodirect

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know they were kind of thrown away within the first couple of weeks after release, but has anyone come around and found a way to utilize the space animals (Fox and Falco) with consistency now that the game is nearly a month old?
I've been keeping up with Fox from the beginning and he's definitely not throwaway. Maybe falco but idk. I just don't play falco because of his changed aerial game. Anyway, Fox's nair is still n-airplane, all his other aerials give him great edge guarding potential, his custom blaster is god tier, his throws connect laser shots, up tilt combos, his pivot tilt is great, and his drill recovery koes at like 90 percent. Up smash is rly bad tho :/

Last edited:
I don't know if Fox and Falco are bad or not, but man, after all of these exciting newcomers and veterans improved to the point they are fresh (even subtle ones like Mario)...

I find them both to be incredibly boring to play with. :/

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fox is alright. Not quite at the level he was at in Melee (which is probably a good thing,) but he's still pretty good. Aside from what Gato mentioned, Fox Illusion no longer leaves him in a helpless state when used mid-air, allowing him to immediately follow it up with Fire Fox (lol) and no longer dashes over the edge when used on the ground.

Falco is bad though.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I broke down and got the game... I'm nowhere near competitive levels. Trying out random characters is fun though. Robin seems fun! I don't really get how to use Shulk though (monado arts??)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
3 sided boxes with an open top were the shit in Brawl, especially if you made the realization that Lucario was the only character that could wall climb forever and that you could set a state height such that only he could get to the top.
I remember making one stage that was just a box with a tiny opening at the top. You spawned outside of the box because I forgot to put spikes on the top, but once you were in, you were getting up to like 400% before getting KO'd. It was so great watching everyone fly around, hitting the edges of the box.

Lucario was king on that stage.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I broke down and got the game... I'm nowhere near competitive levels. Trying out random characters is fun though. Robin seems fun! I don't really get how to use Shulk though (monado arts??)
Monado arts give you temporary buffs. There is one that boosts your defense so you don't get knocked back so easily (but makes you slower), one that increases your damage output/knockback, one that increases your speed, and one that increases your jump.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Clarification: The damage output and knockback powers are separate. These are the powers (in order seen when trying to activate):

Jump (Green): Jump increase
Speed (Blue): Speed increase
Shield (Yellow): Defense increase / more KB resistance
Buster (Purple): Damage increase (iirc, knockback is decreased)
Smash (Red): Knockback increase (iirc, damage done is decreased and it's easier to be KO'd with this power active)

Generally, I use Speed and Buster to rack up damage and then Smash to KO. I'll use Shield to keep from getting KO'd at high percents.

Last edited:
I seem to have a problem against Yoshi, especially when using Jigglypuff. Any advice aside from "don't use Jigglypuff against Yoshi!"?

I seem to have a problem against Yoshi, especially when using Jigglypuff. Any advice aside from "don't use Jigglypuff against Yoshi!"?
Don't listen to the Zoroark, he is trying to confuse you with illusions of Jigglypuff not being woth using, but she is the best.

What exatly is you problem when fighting Yoshi, though?

What exatly is you problem when fighting Yoshi, though?
Mostly his speed on the ground and ridiculously strong aerials which can't be outprioritized by Jigglypuff. Playing defensive doesn't work because he will just start throwing eggs at you and approaching is just way too risky from any side. But getting a decent chance to kill him is like literally impossible unless the Yoshi player is an idiot. B-air is too slow to connect in time and Yoshi's aerials have both quite the reach and speed so Rest is really really risky. N-Air seems fine if I can force him off stage, but even then, the super armor on the second jump makes it really difficult to properly WoP the dinosaur.

At least for me, maybe I'm just bad though.

Haven't tried fox, but Falco is pretty solid from my experience (don't know why people are dismissing him so easily). His tilts, dash attack, grabs and jabs are pretty amazing while his F-Air and B-Air are great for edge guarding and are solid kill moves at High %. D-Air is pretty crappy now that the spike isn't instant (although I've seen a few users on smashboards make some comments on how to get easy low % kills off stage w/ this move). His recovery has been improved as well since You can use Fire Bird after you use Falco Phantasm, improving his off stage game. Non-custom Lasers are pretty much useless though since their extremely laggy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)