XY UU im a gay sea otter i blow other dudes outta the water

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Ever since Vaporeon has joined the UU tier back in the beginning of September, I've been having fun making a lot of teams with it, and this team is probably the most consistent I've come up with. This team was actually inspired by user st123, who used a similar looking balance, but centered around a different eeveelution, Umbreon (you seriously need to RMT more of your teams dude because I literally steal all of them). I used it in a Grand Slam match against KratosMana and ended up winning, even though both of us played like aids. I've also had a lot of success with this on the ladder, as the type synergy, offensive capabilities, and range of speed tiers of each of the 'mons allow me to respond to a lot of threats both defensively and offensively, making sure I always have an out. I've decided to post this team, as I haven't posted any XY UU teams yet, and I feel like this one helps to give a lot of players an introduction to the tier, as right now, balance and bulky offense are the two dominant archetypes. Hopefully people who haven't yet tried the tier take this team for a spin (and like it :heart:)!

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP | 252 Def | 56 SpD
Calm Nature
Moves:
Wish | Protect | Scald | Heal Bell

This was actually one of my most anticipated drops of the September meta shift. While UU doesn't have a shortage of bulky waters or clerics, Vaporeon is able to shine as the only Pokemon capable of combining both roles into one slot. Thanks to its pure Water-typing, it's able to easily take on Nidoqueen, something Florges can't do, and Mega Blastoise, both of which are extremely common on bulky offensive teams. Having a Wish-tect 'mon is seriously helpful in this tier, as it lets balance teams have the advantage to punish Scarfers, which are on nearly every team. Scald is OP as fuck, and needs zero explanation. Heal Bell was chosen as its the most consistent of the 4th moves, as I don't like losing to random Toxics/Thunder Waves and I like being able to clean up some of the damage left by Sableye, but Roar prevents Suicune from setting up, and Baton Pass can shine in other match ups just as well since there's a trapper and three other U-turners to keep momentum going.

Roserade and Celebi are two of the biggest enemies to this set, but the team has three of their best checks, and the strongest Pursuit trapper that the tier has to offer, so they can't exactly switch in with impunity.

The above spread is one that I personally think should be the standard on Vaporeon, as it allows it to live two LO Darmanitan Flare Blitzes while still having very good special defense, and still passing fat Wishes and making the most of an efficient spread. And on a final note, while I do love this 'mon, Vaporeon vs Vaporeon matches are hella cancer.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP | 16 Def | 240 SpD
Impish Nature
Moves:
Stealth Rock | Heavy Slam | Earthquake | Toxic

While Vaporeon is what the team is built around, I'm honestly going to say that Mega Aggron is the star of this team. This thing is seriously underrated right now, and Vaporeon makes a much better partner than Florges ever did, forming a core similar to the Milotic/Registeel core that dominated toward the end of DPP UU.

Thanks to Filter, and just the right amount of mixed defenses, nothing can OHKO Mega Aggron aside from STAB Fire Blast/Overheat, giving it good reliability as a hazard setter. Its Pure Steel-typing also shines, as now that Mega Alakazam is in the tier, where SR Jirachi just doesn't cut it as a reliable check. Heavy Slam does a truckload of damage, OHKOing a lot of hyper offensive threats such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Absol, Honchkrow, Roserade, Mienshao, and Crobat (after SR). Mega Absol and Honchkrow are especially important, as my scarfer is weak to Sucker Punch, and Whimsicott is hardly bulky enough to handle them (and can't switch in). Earthquake is to hit Raikou and Mega Ampharos, both of which Vaporeon has trouble with, as well as Steel- and Fire-types that resist Heavy Slam such as Empoleon, Darmanitan, Jirachi, Infernape, and especially helps OHKO Lucario. It also gets more damage on Nidoqueen and Nidoking, which is cool. Mega Aggron forms a double Steel-type combo with Scarf Jirachi and uses Toxic to make it easier to flinch down a lot of their mutual counters, such as Swampert, Gligar, Hippowdon, and Mega Blastoise. It also helps put Sableye on a timer, as many times they tend to go for a WoW first, due to Heavy Slam 2HKOing. Roar can also be used, as the team is slightly Curselax weak, but it winds up being underwhelming in most other scenarios.

The spread goes for the extra defense point, as it's a complete shame not to, then invests the rest in SpDef to give it the mixed defenses to avoid almost every OHKOs, which is important, as Mega Aggron can check anything from 100%, and Wishes/Healing Wish both help keep it there.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP | 252 Atk | 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
Moves:
Roost | Brave Bird | Defog | U-turn

I admit, before I played UU, I had a hard time understanding why Crobat was such a popular 'mon, but now I find myself putting it on literally every team I run, as it has its own trademarking slogan of "checking literally half of the meta" and even +2 Lucario (if SR isn't up). On top of that, it's a solid deterrent against Fighting-type spam that can easily overwhelm the defensive core. Everything on the set is standard, except the choice of Defog over Taunt, which I personally prefer, as it lets me not lose to random Galvantula teams while having the speed to pull it off at least once against Spikes/Toxic Spikes teams, letting me regain control of the match. U-turn also helps keep momentum going and provides chip damage, while breaking Focus Sash on Alakazam.

The EVs are pretty standard, using max attack EVs and just enough speed to outspeed Noivern. While Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl outspeeding it is annoying, they both struggle to get past Mega Aggron and Scarf Jirachi, which can both easily switch into predicted Psyshocks and Stone Edges thrown Crobat's way.

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Moves:
Energy Ball | Moonblast | Psychic | U-turn

I actually stole this Choice Specs Whimsicott from my DPPt buddE IronBullet93, who posted this under the Sample Team thread. Choice Specs on something with 77 SpA sounds ludicrous, but if you get it in at the right time, usually with another team member's U-turn, it can usually be hard to switch into, as STAB Moonblast on something that overtakes the crowded 115 Speed tier is really good, and it helps punish opposing Fighting spam, and can also revenge kill Sucker Punchers. Prankster is actually forgone on this set, as it runs no support moves, but with Infiltrator, SubCM Suicune can't cleanly set up in Vaporeon's face, as Energy Ball 2HKOs. Anything that is left behind a Substitute can also be finished off by Crobat, which forms a nice double Infiltrator duo with Whimsicott. Psychic lets Whimsicott 2HKO Poison-types like the Nidos, Tentacruel, Roserade, and Crobat, while OHKOing Toxicroak after resisting its Sucker Punch, though it should be used sparingly, as it can be huge set up fodder.

The highlight of this set is U-turn, which lets it keep momentum going, and in tandem with Choice Band Krookodile, causes a lot of mindgames for would-be counters like Chandelure, Roserade, Crobat and Jirachi, as the former two are outsped while the latter two want to switch out due to Intimidate. If caught switching out on a Pursuit, none of them can switch back in, letting Whimsicott come back in later to do more work.

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Moves:
Knock Off | Earthquake | Pursuit | Superpower

With Victini leaving the tier, CB Krookodile has emerged as the premier physical wallbreaker, thanks to its strong Knock Off and solid utility. Other wallbreakers such as Entei and Machamp ere actually used in this place, but Krookodile's unique aspects as a Pursuit trapper that could check both Electric-types and Lucario, while still having that perfect Speed tier to outrun a lot of bulky offensive threats solidified my choice. Knock Off is also nice, as it gets rid of both Leftovers and Eviolite on a lot of mons that Jirachi has trouble flinching past, such as Forretress and Gligar. I prefer to use Krookodile as my Dark-type over Hydreigon as its Dark/Ground typing leaves it only being 2x weak to Dazzling Gleam, which means both Mega Alakazam and Specs Shaymin can't OHKO. The set is entirely standard, although I prefer Superpower over Stone Edge, as it gives me more choices of what to revenge Lucario with, dissuades Hydreigon from switching in, and can OHKO weakened Blissey/Snorlax.

I've wanted to try BlackGlasses, as Knock Off and Pursuit are the main moves to boost, and if any Pokemon deserves Black Glasses, it's Krookodile B)

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Moves:
Iron Head | U-turn | Trick | Healing Wish

Pretty much every UU team needs a Scarfer and Jirachi is the best choice for Balance teams, as it has has the perfect blend of support, and defensive/offensive utility wrapped into one Pokemon. STAB Iron Head is all that's needed, as it can usually clean late game after the other members weakens the opponent's team. I don't like running Fire Punch, as while it does OHKO Lucario, it leaves huge potential as set up fodder, and infringes upon its support options. Speaking of which, I really have come to love running both Trick and Healing Wish, as it gives it the capability of still disrupting most Stall teams and end-game win conditions while breathing new life into the other members of the team, any of which are more than capable of making use of that utility.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well played Fighting-types give most teams trouble, and this one is no different, as while Crobat is a good check, it's not foolproof, as many of them carry Ice Punch or Stone Edge. Well played Crocune have an easy time winning when Vaporeon doesn't have Roar, as I don't have the best answers to prevent it from setting up. Tentacruel can be annoying as it switches into Vaporeon and sets up Toxic Spikes that Crobat can't immediately remove, although most of them are slower than Krookodile, so it does need some prediction. Sableye can be annoying, as nothing but Whimsicott likes switching into it, but if it's not ran alongside a cleric, it tends to have trouble with Scald, and has to predict against Mega Aggron's Toxic vs. Heavy Slam. Rotom-H can be extremely annoying, as its access to WoW, Levitate, and Fire/Electric STABS mean nothing on my team likes handling it. Other electric types like Expert Belt Raikou, Magneton, and Heliolisk can similarly annoying, although Raikou can't OHKO Krookodile, Magneton is slower than Krookodile, and Heliolisk needs to weaken Whimsicott and has lower defenses that Crobat and Jirachi can take advantage of. Luckily, Electric-types are relatively rare in this meta, as Hydreigon and Swampert are everywhere. And finally, without Roar on Mega Aggron, CurseLax can be hard to stop, as I don't have a Ghost- or Fighting-type that can reliably take it on, but again, is also somewhat rare, as Fighting-types are dominant at the moment.

To be honest, the easiest fix to a lot of these threats is Sleep Powder/Sludge Bomb/Giga Drain/Synthesis LO Roserade over Whimsicott, which handles Crocune and Sableye better, while absorbing Tentacruel's Toxic Spikes and actually being able to do damage to Rotom-H. In turn, I could change Heal Bell to Baton Pass on Vaporeon, as Natural Cure + Healing Wish is usually enough to deal with status users. I could also change it to Ice Beam if Zygarde stays in UU, which it's looking like it will. However, Whimsicott's higher speed and pivoting abilities also provide useful in some situations, so either one works really.
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- U-turn

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- U-turn

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
i find myself wondering how often you even use heal bell? since yes, while strictly speaking this is considered balance due to having 2 "walls" it plays at a pretty offensive pace (kinda like most of my teams i guess ?_?) so i dunno how often you'd actually bell with vap. i'd consider slapping BP to get your wallbreakers in safely in that spot and seeing what works better.

cool team despite my being of the opinion that aggron sucks bolas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)