ORAS OU Mega Sableye said: "NO HAZARD FOR U, BRUH" (peaked #4)

napty

Banned deucer.
Hi!

This is my first post here guys and I'm not english so sorry if I commit some mistakes. That being said, I'm going to show you my ORAS OU team, which is — in my humble opinion — a pretty good team actually. The main idea when I made it was to keep my side of the field as clean as possible, without any kind of entry hazard. So, as you may have guessed because of the title, this team is built around Mega Sableye, the new Mega I love the most. He's terrifying and does nearly always his job.

I'd like to tell you I'm at this moment the 4th best player in ORAS OU with this team, with about 1562 ELO (the best player has 1602). And that's one of the reason I want to share this team with you guys. She works EXTREMELY well and nobody expects Shedinja, I'm still aware she has some flaws tho.

THE TEAM

LEAD

@ Sableite
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 248HP / 252Def / 8SpDef
- Will-o-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Snarl

The Pokemon I usually lead with. It's a beast! As your opponent see Shedinja and Talonflame as well as a Volt-Turn core in the team preview, he wants to get up rocks as soon as possible to be in a good position. But as I lead with Sableye, I mega evolve, and rocks are bounced or the opponent decides to switch! You have to know that Sableye can deal with almost any rock setter:
- Terrakion: common. Just burn him.
- Garchomp: common. Just burn him.
- Heatran: extremely common. Knock Off his lefties and then proceed to snarl, recover, snarl, recover, snarl, recover... or switch out. Burn sucks but it's still manageable.
- Landorus-T: extremly common. Just burn him or predict the come of a fire-type and Knock Off.
- Ferrothorn: common. Can do nothing to Sableye. You can do whatever you predict.
- Bisharp: extremely rare. Can flinch Mega Sableye three times in a row if you're unlucky so burn him asap.
- Chansey: rare. Can do nothing to Sableye. Knock Off her Eviolite and she will no longer be a problem.
- Gliscor: rare. Can't do a shit to Sableye. Earthquake will be at 0 PP before Sableye's Recover.
- Mamoswine: common. Just burn him.
- Skarmory: common. Can't do a shit to Sableye either.
- Tyranitar: extremely common. Just burn him or Knock Off predicting the Clefable to come in.

To be fair, there are only two stealth rock setter that Sableye can't deal with: Mold Breaker Excadrill, who is rare, and Clefable, who is rare too. (I mean, they are rare as a stealth rock setter, but common otherwise)

You can be sure to have no rocks on the field 99 percent of the time by using Mega Sableye. Not to mention his ability to take on certain threats like Mega Medicham or Mega Gallade. It's just a beast and his utility in a battle is so damn good. I've chosen Snarl over Foul Play or anything else cuz it allows me to deal with certain special attacker like Mega Sceptile (since Snarl works through the sub) or Greninja. I'm thinking tho if I should better replace it by Spite to better handle stall team, which are a pain for me actually.

PIVOT

@ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs: 252HP / 212Def / 44Spe
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Standard Rotom. Helps a lot in a team. I don't really like it but he always does his job and has great utility. Useful to bring up Greninja and Talonflame on the field because of the slow Volt Switch and the ability to make the opponent switch.

@ Leftovers
Lax Nature
EVs: 252HP / 244Def / 12Spe
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice

Landorus-T. Who doesn't know this freaking mon? I mean, it's damn good, can get up rock, make switch, give the momentum, take on a ton of physical threat... It's kinda different than the standard Landorus-T for 2 reason tho. First of all, I set 12 EVs in Speed so when I face an other Landorus-T that I don't know if he's scarfed or not, I just U-Turn. If I'm slower, great, it's just the scarfed one and it's not really a problem, I'll kill it with an HP Ice next time I'll see it. If I'm faster, it's the defensive Landorus-T and he may be trying to get up rocks so I have to send Sableye. Great strategy huh? Second, I have HP Ice. Why so? Because Mega Salamence, especially the Sub + DD one, wrecks my whole team otherwise. It's also helpful with Gliscor and stuff like that.

@ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 Spe
- Will-o-Wisp
- Toxic
- Baton Pass
- Spite

SHEDINJA YOU SCURRY. Who said Shedinja sucked? Since I've never rocks on my side of the field, this thing is so damn good as a pivot. It's a great answer to things like Keldeo, CroBro, Mega Altaria lacking a Fire-type move, Thundurus/Landorus lacking Knock Off, Mega Lopunny who doesn't like to lose half of its life on HJK, Mega Metagross, and much more. You just have to come in, and then either burn/poison the opponent, or pivot and bring Greninja or Talonflame to deal with the threat. Spite is for CroBro and CroCune. I've chosen a Timid nature so I take less damages from Foul Play. (lol)

SWEEPER
@ Sharp Beak
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252Att / 252Spe / 4HP
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Standard set for SD Talonflame. He wrecks teams and, with all the Will-o-Wisp I have in my team, I usually find an opportunity to use Swords Dance. Thanks to the Sharp Beak, I can lure the choice band and let things like Metagross come in without impunity, and then proceed to the Flare Blitz. Great Pokemon, who has an easier time to come into the battle thanks to all my pivots.

@ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
EVs: 40Att / 252Spe / 216SpA
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass

New standard set for Greninja, aside from HP Grass: people usually runs HP Fire instead, but I've absolutely no troubles with Ferrothon as I have Mega Sableye, so I've decided to take HP grass in order to wreck Rotom-W and Keldeo from a certain range. Also, I usually beat other Greninja because they are slower due to HP Fire. Gunk Shot to wreck Clefable and stuff, Hydro Pump because of the power, Ice Beam because of the accuracy.

Thanks for reading! Any comments or advice?

Importable:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sableye @ Sableite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Snarl

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Baton Pass
- Spite
- Toxic

Last edited:
Nice team! However, I'd say Scald > Hydro Pump because it still packs a punch and can burn, and U-Turn > HP Grass bcuz it doesn't really help and with the attack Evs it can pack a punch and also keep momentum. You could, even, make your Greninja Physically based running Waterfall, U turn, Gunk shot, and night slash, to hold a surprise factor.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you're using Shedinja you absolutely need at least one backup method of hazard removal. Assuming you're playing decent players, Sableye WILL become your opponent's immediate priority once it Mega Evolves, and once Sableye dies you can kiss Shedinja good bye. And in the event that your opponent gets hazards up even with Sableye still around you're just as fucked.

Lead Greninja with Spikes also beats Sableye one on one (LO Hydro Pump followed by a -1 LO HPump has a shot at KOing, as does LO HPump followed by itemless HPump).

Also Tyranitar.

napty

Banned deucer.
Nice team! However, I'd say Scald > Hydro Pump because it still packs a punch and can burn, and U-Turn > HP Grass bcuz it doesn't really help and with the attack Evs it can pack a punch and also keep momentum. You could, even, make your Greninja Physically based running Waterfall, U turn, Gunk shot, and night slash, to hold a surprise factor.
Indeed, Scald has its merits. Tho I really need something to hit as hard as possible in front of bulky Mon, and for this reason I really need HPump. About U-Turn, that'd be okay but I U-Turn and then? I've nothing to send to face Rotom! While HP Grass does a decent amount of damages, around 75% + rocks. Which is good because at this moment Rotom can no longer switch into my Talonflame and I can possibly start a sweep. And about the Physically Greninja, I really doubt he's effective: indeed, it's more powerful attack is Gunk Shot and it's not really spammable. All of its others physical moves really lack power. Thanks tho!

If you're using Shedinja you absolutely need at least one backup method of hazard removal. Assuming you're playing decent players, Sableye WILL become your opponent's immediate priority once it Mega Evolves, and once Sableye dies you can kiss Shedinja good bye. And in the event that your opponent gets hazards up even with Sableye still around you're just as fucked.

Lead Greninja with Spikes also beats Sableye one on one (LO Hydro Pump followed by a -1 LO HPump has a shot at KOing, as does LO HPump followed by itemless HPump).

Also Tyranitar.
You may be right actually, but in battle it's kinda different. Since the Stealth Rock setter of the opponent isn't died, I really try to keep Mega Sableye as healthy as possible so he can comes whatever he wants in front of the SR setter. And as you may have guessed, the SR setter is my priority too. Also, I want Shedinja to be a Mon that gives support to my team, not a Mon that I have to give support to work. So, as I have nearly never rocks on my side of the field, I don't really think I need an other Mon that carry defog or something. That would be wasting an other slot for my team for some rare situation. You know? Actually you're right but in battle trust me it's not that hard to keep Mega Sableye alive.

I've never seen a Greninja with Spikes. Is he that common?

Tyranitar is a problem yeah, usually I burn him and I try to predict he to come each time I send Shedinja with Baton Pass.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I don't necessarily agree with Shedinja, at least run max attack Adamant with shadow sneak over spite. This way Shedinja provides priority and chip damage, while not having a stupid move on it, as you'll always want to keep the sash intact for as long as possible anyway. Also consider changing one of your walls to Spdef, as nothing wants to take strong special attacks, especially from LO Gengar

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
A magic bouncer being your only hazard control is very bad considering you use Talonflame and Shedinja. If your opponent predict a switch right once it gets his rocks up, and T-Flame will be crippled for the rest of the game, where Shedinja is dead right of the bat. I suggest to change your Sableye set to a CM sweeper

Sableye @ Sableite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

I also suggest to remove Shedinja, as he doesn't add much power to the team. To keep Talonflame healthy (a sweeper starting at 51% is never good) you need a defogger or spinner and I think AV Excadrill is a good option. As he can kill fairies who threaten Sableye, adds some special bulk to your team and keeps away rocks for your Talonflame
Also make sure you have an odd number of HP so you have less hazards damage. Especially for Talonflame, as with an odd number you can switch in on Stealth Rocks 2 times when it is necessary
For Greninja, use a Naive nature instead of a Hasty nature, because the main users of priority are physical (iirc you can live a Brave Bird at full hp with Naive, where you can't with Hasty) also the only thing HP Grass hits harder dan Grass Knot is Rotom-W, who is just set up for sableye anyways and get killed by Excadrill easily because of Mold Breaker Earthquake
Last but not least, use 0 Attack IVs on Rotom-W and Sableye to lower Foul Play and confusion damage. You aren't weak to it, but a few % can save you the game.

Changes:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
EVs: 40Atk / 252 Spe / 216 SpA
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot / Dark Pulse

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Instead of Shedinja:
Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Optional Change:
Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

For an SD tflame set I recommend you change the nature to Jolly with 136 evs in speed to outspeed thundurus to dodge the prankster twave. As you're likely sding to sweep anyway the lack of power is negligible unlike the band set, and this also allows you 110 evs in HP for a bit of added bulk. This also has the added advantage of outspeeding other talonflames so as to not risk the speed tie revenge kill from banded talonflame.

napty

Banned deucer.
And ? I said I use Baton Pass when I predict the come of Tyranitar. Baton Pass works before the Sand Damages.

While I don't necessarily agree with Shedinja, at least run max attack Adamant with shadow sneak over spite. This way Shedinja provides priority and chip damage, while not having a stupid move on it, as you'll always want to keep the sash intact for as long as possible anyway. Also consider changing one of your walls to Spdef, as nothing wants to take strong special attacks, especially from LO Gengar
Sorry but Spite isn't that a stupid move. This is the answer in my team for CroBro and CroCune, without that I get wreck by these mon. Shadow Sneak can be dangerous with the Rocky Helmet and stuff running around. I may try it to see but I really doubt about it while Spite works. You have a point with Gengar... may changing the spread of Rotom.

For an SD tflame set I recommend you change the nature to Jolly with 136 evs in speed to outspeed thundurus to dodge the prankster twave. As you're likely sding to sweep anyway the lack of power is negligible unlike the band set, and this also allows you 110 evs in HP for a bit of added bulk. This also has the added advantage of outspeeding other talonflames so as to not risk the speed tie revenge kill from banded talonflame.
That's actually smart! Thanks, I'll make this change for sure!

A magic bouncer being your only hazard control is very bad considering you use Talonflame and Shedinja. If your opponent predict a switch right once it gets his rocks up, and T-Flame will be crippled for the rest of the game, where Shedinja is dead right of the bat. I suggest to change your Sableye set to a CM sweeper

Sableye @ Sableite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

I also suggest to remove Shedinja, as he doesn't add much power to the team. To keep Talonflame healthy (a sweeper starting at 51% is never good) you need a defogger or spinner and I think AV Excadrill is a good option. As he can kill fairies who threaten Sableye, adds some special bulk to your team and keeps away rocks for your Talonflame
Also make sure you have an odd number of HP so you have less hazards damage. Especially for Talonflame, as with an odd number you can switch in on Stealth Rocks 2 times when it is necessary
For Greninja, use a Naive nature instead of a Hasty nature, because the main users of priority are physical (iirc you can live a Brave Bird at full hp with Naive, where you can't with Hasty) also the only thing HP Grass hits harder dan Grass Knot is Rotom-W, who is just set up for sableye anyways and get killed by Excadrill easily because of Mold Breaker Earthquake
Last but not least, use 0 Attack IVs on Rotom-W and Sableye to lower Foul Play and confusion damage. You aren't weak to it, but a few % can save you the game.

Changes:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
EVs: 40Atk / 252 Spe / 216 SpA
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot / Dark Pulse

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Instead of Shedinja:
Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Optional Change:
Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
I don't see in what this is bad to only have Mega Sableye to control entry hazard, this works pretty well. Excadrill would helps in my team a little bit for sure, tho I would lose a lot by not using Shedinja, who is actually an answer to so many threats, from Mega Lopunny to Mega Metagross and more and more... that's still an interesting strategy and I may try it but I'm very scared that this won't work as well as with Shedinja.

I don't see why you would change HP Ice on Landorus-T, as well as the EV spread. I explained before that I have a strategy around that.

I agree with the other changes and I'll try them, thanks. :)

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And ? I said I use Baton Pass when I predict the come of Tyranitar. Baton Pass works before the Sand Damages.

Sorry but Spite isn't that a stupid move. This is the answer in my team for CroBro and CroCune, without that I get wreck by these mon. Shadow Sneak can be dangerous with the Rocky Helmet and stuff running around. I may try it to see but I really doubt about it while Spite works. You have a point with Gengar... may changing the spread of Rotom.

That's actually smart! Thanks, I'll make this change for sure!

I don't see in what this is bad to only have Mega Sableye to control entry hazard, this works pretty well. Excadrill would helps in my team a little bit for sure, tho I would lose a lot by not using Shedinja, who is actually an answer to so many threats, from Mega Lopunny to Mega Metagross and more and more... that's still an interesting strategy and I may try it but I'm very scared that this won't work as well as with Shedinja.

I don't see why you would change HP Ice on Landorus-T, as well as the EV spread. I explained before that I have a strategy around that.

I agree with the other changes and I'll try them, thanks. :)
You have a spite Shedinja specifically for beating Cro stuff...? Shedinja isn't a good fit for the team, but the inability to do damage is restrictive when you could just run something else to handle Cro stuff that actually lasts longer. Also, if Mega Sableye becomes calm mind (which I would recommend) you already beat CroBro 1v1 anyway, and Suicune is much less common due to Slowbro now.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Sorry but Spite isn't that a stupid move. This is the answer in my team for CroBro and CroCune, without that I get wreck by these mon.
Do you know how Shedinja works? Shedinja already beats CroBro and CMBro 1v1 because they can't touch you with Scald, Ice Beam or Psyshock at all.

I don't see in what this is bad to only have Mega Sableye to control entry hazard, this works pretty well.
How often have you played with this team? Sableye can get the rocks of the game for sure, but not for the whole game. Nobody let their hazards setter die when they see a Talonflame AND a Shedinja with no defogger and no spinner on the opposing team, they will keep it healthy untill Sableye can be KO'd when he switches in to stop hazards. If 1 Magic Bouncer is your only way to control hazards, the opponent can simply play around it 90% of the time and kill Shedinja and hurt Talonflame for 49%

i mean if you insist on keeping Shedninja even though i mostly agree with the prebious statements and SketchUp lol maybe you wanna remove one of your sweepers whichever suits you less honestly i cant say because i havent played the team, but rotom-w looks like it could give you problems as a bulkier offensive set could OHKO talonflame, and/or trick OHKO greninja. and seeing as you dont have a spinner/defogger you can try this

MOLD BREAKER

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
Evs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Pretty much standard but this thing can EQ rotom-wash, and spin away hazards while OHKOing tyranitar after a few of your own rock switchins so he cant keep setting up sandstorms to keep that shedninja at bay, after all as long as sand is up your not switching in Shedninja. Also checks Prankster Thundurus t-wave and hp ice doesnt KO i belive its 3HKO actually lol

MZ

Do you know how Shedinja works? Shedinja already beats CroBro and CMBro 1v1 because they can't touch you with Scald, Ice Beam or Psyshock at all.

How often have you played with this team? Sableye can get the rocks of the game for sure, but not for the whole game. Nobody let their hazards setter die when they see a Talonflame AND a Shedinja with no defogger and no spinner on the opposing team, they will keep it healthy untill Sableye can be KO'd when he switches in to stop hazards. If 1 Magic Bouncer is your only way to control hazards, the opponent can simply play around it 90% of the time and kill Shedinja and hurt Talonflame for 49%
I think Napty's idea was to prevent them from pp stalling Shedinja with rest while keeping baton pass (baton pass and SD are incompatible), although you could at least run hone claws and shadow sneak/X-Scissor

You can always use Safety Goggles on Shedinja so he doesn't die from Sand. And you can get rid of spite for protect to scout for the SE move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)