Greatest (or your favourite) Video Game of all time!

16bit

What does your soul look like?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
My favorite game of all time has to be Super Metroid. I feel the level design and learning curve were probably some of the best I've ever seen in video games. Another thing I really care about in games is Atmosphere, which I really enjoyed in Super Metroid, and is a reason that Bioshock is also one of my favorite games.

For me the best one has to be either Super Smash Bros Melee or Brawl but since my Brawl disk broke after 1300 hours I am going with Melee. Anyway Melee is just such a perfect game. The original Super Smash Bros was already good but the sequel added so much which made it better. Anyway right from the start you know how good this game is just because that fucking intro is amazing. The game looks really nice and probably one of the best looking Gamecube games after maybe the Zelda games. There is loads to do in this game which is really what I like in video games. From regular fighting against friends to target test to even an adventure mode. There are a lot of things to unlock ranging from characters to stages to trophies. All in all there is a lot to do and it is just an amazing game. I would have chosen Brawl but Melee has a few things I like more. Melee has a faster gameplay which makes it more difficult and thus more fun. Melee also had great characters that didn't return in Brawl. Roy was a freaking swordsman nuke with fire that was just really fun to use and is my favorite character in Melee after maybe Fox. Mewtwo wasn't a really good character but he was just fun to play with. Dr. Mario and Young Link may have been clones but they are in my opinion improvements over their original counterpart. Pichu is garbage though. All in all an amazing game everyone should have played once. Ow yeah it was also the first game I ever played so yey.

Chrono Trigger.jpg

My personal favorite RPG and overall favorite video game ever, though Pokemon will probably forever remain my favorite video game series ever.

For me it is a three way tie between Mother 3, Fire emblem awakening, and Paper Mario TTYD. The first 2 because they are still to this day the only 2 games to ever make me cry, and the last one because of sheer quality. There is also the story of how when i tried to get TTYD I got a broken copy 3 TIMES IN A ROW from gamestop. Seriously, screw you gamestop. Kid Icarus uprising is easily my favorite non-RPG though.

Pokemon Emerald - 3rd gen mechanics are the best. Honestly, I think this was a very formative game for me, mostly because when everyone else was doing whatever kids do in middle school and early high school (no, actually make that all of high school lol. and college), I was EV training new Pokemon to find new and creative ways to win in the battle frontier. I actually only recently got back into being serious about Pokemon, because the 4th/5th gens seemed like such a letdown after gen 3.

Metroid Prime - I'm really stunned at how well this game still holds up. It just feels so good to play, to look at, to hear. I vividly remember my first time through, really sweating out multiple segments of the game (Thardus, Omega Pirate, Phendrana Drifts research labs). Metroid Prime is probably my favorite boss of all time. How did Metroid Prime 2&3 drop the ball so hard?

Fire Emblem - Path of Radiance - Great replayability, since there are so many different characters. All the minor characters are so interesting. All the plot threads, minor and major, are exciting. Ike is really a guy I can get behind and cheer for (I guess it's a bit strange for me to be cheering at my TV during a text-scene, huh). I get so excited by these things that the fact that the game is a lot of fun to play is almost an afterthought to me. But make no mistake, it's fun to play. My only complaint is that a character can only have 5 supports. I want to hear all the support conversations!!

Yeah, so Fire Emblem Awakening has that (you can hear all the supports you ever wanted), which is great. All the characters are a lot of fun, too. But Chrom is no Ike, I could never really get pumped up for Chrom as I did Ike.

Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker - That part after you get your butt kicked by Ganondorf, and you basically get told 'welp, better explore the entire world to see if you can find stuff to power you up'. Yeah. Hopping from island to deserted island on my sailboat, man do I feel like an intrepid explorer. I wish I could erase my memory of this game so I could experience it again for the first time. Now I already pretty much know where everything is already. I never quite got that feeling from any other Zelda game (or any other game, for that matter). I think it was the boat. Too bad Phantom Hourglass blows.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I just finished playing Wind Waker for the first time and I loved it (got the remastered download off of WiiU), probably now one of my favorite games to have played ever. Largely because the battle system and pacing are brilliant, the exploring is awesome, the puzzles are hard, and finding all of the Heart Pieces was so difficult. I haven't gotten stumped trying to beat a boss in a video game in a really long time and this game stumped me for a good half hour to an hour twice. I wish more RPGs were like this game. It really brought me back to playing the old Spyro and Tomb Raider games where it was simple but still a very deep game. I still probably like the Tales series more as an RPG but this game definitely jumped up to the top of my favorite games list. This game just made me really wish that the Mario Galaxy games could have been a bit tougher.

i think i might be misinterpreting your post... you like Tales more because it is an RPG, or you say both Wind Waker and Tales are RPGs and Tales is better?

I haven't ever played Tales of Symphonia (I assume that's the game your talking about?), but I never though Wind Waker was an RPG..? Am I reading your post wrong, or am I misguided on classifying the game?

(sorry to be so demanding, I'm not trying to be an asshole heh. I'm just a bit confused)

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
i think i might be misinterpreting your post... you like Tales more because it is an RPG, or you say both Wind Waker and Tales are RPGs and Tales is better?

I haven't ever played Tales of Symphonia (I assume that's the game your talking about?), but I never though Wind Waker was an RPG..? Am I reading your post wrong, or am I misguided on classifying the game?

(sorry to be so demanding, I'm not trying to be an asshole heh. I'm just a bit confused)
A lot of people say the Zelda series are RPGs, I would say they are more adventure but I get the argument.

huh, okay, weird.

I've looked for Tales of Symphonia (I have a Gamecube, looks like most of the other games are for different systems), but it's hard to find. I'll keep on my toes, though!

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
huh, okay, weird.

I've looked for Tales of Symphonia (I have a Gamecube, looks like most of the other games are for different systems), but it's hard to find. I'll keep on my toes, though!
There's a Wii remake that is much more common if I'm not mistaken, I'd reccomend Vesperia on the 360 as well, really fun!

Either Pokemon Emerald or Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, in my opinion. Emerald being the first game i became truly addicted to, and Uncharted being the first game i bought on my beloved PS3. The hours i put it on Uncharted were insane

Deus Ex:Human Revolution is hands-down my favourite game. I have yet to play a game that is both as intelligent and as effective in encouraging you to ponder some of the issues raised by the game (trans-humanism and the role of technology in our lives, among others). Relative to the original Deus Ex, the world of DE:HR is a lot more rich (This is really penalising the original DE for when it was developed as much as anything) and in my mind more focussed- everything about the world of DE:HR was designed to help explore these concepts. On the other hand DE was a lot more sparse and in my mind didn't effectively delve into the concepts it attempted to convey.

Not that the original DE was bad (because it was really good), but I just don't feel it was quite as effective as its prequel.

Deus Ex:Human Revolution is hands-down my favourite game. I have yet to play a game that is both as intelligent and as effective in encouraging you to ponder some of the issues raised by the game (trans-humanism and the role of technology in our lives, among others). Relative to the original Deus Ex, the world of DE:HR is a lot more rich (This is really penalising the original DE for when it was developed as much as anything) and in my mind more focussed- everything about the world of DE:HR was designed to help explore these concepts. On the other hand DE was a lot more sparse and in my mind didn't effectively delve into the concepts it attempted to convey.

Not that the original DE was bad (because it was really good), but I just don't feel it was quite as effective as its prequel.
I lean to the view that the original was more subtle and a bit in that "choose your own level of involvement" mode of Half-Life or even an Elder Scrolls game rather than the "beat you over the head with the theme" of HR. If you went and mined everything for information, it had a very deep world, but if you played it at face value it could be quite shallow.

I thought the parts in Deus Ex where Gunther Hermann is shown to be slowly losing his mind due to his perceived loss of his own value (correctly perceived as it turns out) as his augmentations become increasingly obsolete had a far stronger point to make about mechanical augmentation than anything in HR did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)