The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beating the Broncos at home(especially in that fashion) proves nothing. It won't even affect playoff seeding. Best it'll do is get Peyton more TDs at the end of the year, which is all that matters. This game taught the league how to beat the Broncos: Host them, force Peyton to throw a couple of INTs(as early in the game as possible), dominate early with special teams. I'm sure the Patriots(and other teams) will be able to flawlessly execute this plan next time they play them. Games like these show how mediocre teams can win any given sunday. Too many moving parts.

Beating the Broncos at home(especially in that fashion) proves nothing.

Quite the bold statement. At the end of the day, it was a game of football and we showed ourselves to be the better team.

It won't even affect playoff seeding. Best it'll do is get Peyton more TDs at the end of the year, which is all that matters.
Actually, it DOES affect playoff seeding. Care to explain how it doesn't? This game is a part of their regular season, which is how playoff qualification and seeding is determined. And to say that adding to Peyton's TDs "is all that matters" clearly shows that you don't even take the Patriots seriously.

This game taught the league how to beat the Broncos: Host them, force Peyton to throw a couple of INTs(as early in the game as possible), dominate early with special teams.
This game also taught the league that the refs are willing to make some pretty bad calls just to add to Peyton's TD count.

I'm sure the Patriots(and other teams) will be able to flawlessly execute this plan next time they play them. Games like these show how mediocre teams can win any given sunday. Too many moving parts.
The Broncos have won many of their home games this season, just like the Patriots have, so I guess most of the Broncos wins don't count either. I hate to say this, but you sound pretty biased against the Patriots. I respect the Broncos and all; they're a great team, but the Patriots showed themselves to be better this time. If the Patriots were as bad as you try to make them seem, then the Broncos should've been able to win the game, or at least lose without such a huge deficit. "Home field advantage" is a poor excuse for losing a game.
Responses in bold.

Quite the bold statement. At the end of the day, it was a game of football and we showed ourselves to be the better team
Like I said, one game doesn't prove anything. The game has too many parts. Somebody runs the wrong route, an INT is thrown. If they play again, the defender might slip and the receiver catches the ball and runs it in for a TD. You'd have to play the same team several times to prove anything meaningful. The game played out in the classic "better team lost to a lesser team" way of being decided by turnovers and special teams. None of those mistakes are guaranteed game to game.

Actually, it DOES affect playoff seeding. Care to explain how it doesn't? This game is a part of their regular season, which is how playoff qualification and seeding is determined. And to say that adding to Peyton's TDs "is all that matters" clearly shows that you don't even take the Patriots seriously.
The Patriots are a 12-4 team(side note, I predicted 12-4 even during their ugly early season games and sticking by it). The Broncos might lose another game. But sure go ahead and get your hopes up and think it's actually going to play out differently. Whatever floats your boat.

This game also taught the league that the refs are willing to make some pretty bad calls just to add to Peyton's TD count.
Wouldn't you???

Like I said, one game doesn't prove anything. The game has too many parts. Somebody runs the wrong route, an INT is thrown. If they play again, the defender might slip and the receiver catches the ball and runs it in for a TD. You'd have to play the same team several times to prove anything meaningful. The game played out in the classic "better team lost to a lesser team" way of being decided by turnovers and special teams. None of those mistakes are guaranteed game to game.

You're right about the game having lots of parts. Each play can be completely different from the next. If you've seen the record of Patriots vs. Broncos during the Brady/Manning era, no team has completely blown the other out of the water in terms of win/loss, which further implies that both teams are at the very least equal (though, consider that the Patriots have the better end of that record).

The Patriots are a 12-4 team(side note, I predicted 12-4 even during their ugly early season games and sticking by it). The Broncos might lose another game. But sure go ahead and get your hopes up and think it's actually going to play out differently.

Of course I'll keep my hopes up; why wouldn't I?

Wouldn't you???
I'd totally love if Brady's TD count was artificially raised by bad calls. Of course. /s

Sorry, but you're biased just like the other Patriot-haters. But sure, go ahead and convince yourself that they're a "mediocre" team even though they've proved why that's not true several times.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
On this season, JJ Watt has 26 solo tackles (2nd in league), 9 sacks (t-1st), 7 passes defensed (next highest is 4), 29 QB Hits (next highest is 15), 11 tackles for loss (t-1st), and a pick for a TD. There is not a single player in the NFL playing at half this man's level. If the AP voters knew the first fucking thing about what makes a player valuable, he'd be on pace for his second unanimous MVP in 3 years. I expect him to go down as the greatest DE ever when it's all said and done.

Not trying to take anything away from our awful performance, but it sure compounds things when the refs are clearly making calls favoring the other guys.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not trying to take anything away from our awful performance, but it sure compounds things when the refs are clearly making calls favoring the other guys.
There were a few controversial calls but I wouldn't say there was anything blatantly favorite. I think things just spiraled downward after a while and the Ravens were unfortunately caught in their retaliations on personal foul calls even if they were instigated. Having been a referee I can tell you like rule #3 is you always catch the retaliation, almost never the initial penalty. All you really need to do is maintain your discipline and not get sucked into those altercations and it won't happen.

Did anyone else get a kick out of the Punter and Kicker on Pittsburgh teaming up on the one defensive player on the Ravens?

Reactions: Sam

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
There were a few controversial calls but I wouldn't say there was anything blatantly favorite. I think things just spiraled downward after a while and the Ravens were unfortunately caught in their retaliations on personal foul calls even if they were instigated. Having been a referee I can tell you like rule #3 is you always catch the retaliation, almost never the initial penalty. All you really need to do is maintain your discipline and not get sucked into those altercations and it won't happen.

Did anyone else get a kick out of the Punter and Kicker on Pittsburgh teaming up on the one defensive player on the Ravens?
Trust a Steelers fan to think the refs were okay. You guys 100% deserved to win but that was the most one sided officiating I've seen in a Ravens game in years. Fucking disgraceful. Especially when there were mini scrums and we seemed to be the only ones copping flags when there should have been offsetting ones or something.

Anyway the only thing worse than losing to the scum of the earth is entering a fanduel team with Big Ben, Antonio Brown, Martavius Bryant and Arian Foster amongst other players and not having it count because you're fucking Australian. I was looking at a possible 4 figure week.

You know it's a sad thing when you begin to want Alex Smith back as your QB if only because he was a consistent game manager under Harbaugh, I'm starting to give into that Crapernick train of thought now. He's just too inconsistent, and is spitting up more bad plays than good; with the offensive weapons he has, there's no reason the Niners should be 4-4 looking outside of the playoffs. The injuries excuse only goes so far, when you fumble on the last drive like that... >.<

Is no one going to mention the Dolphins steamrolling the Chargers today? No? Okay...

Also, if Roethlisberger throws another 6 TDs next week, I'm just going to assume he made a deal with the devil.
They're playing the Jets. I'll actually be disappointed if we don't see at least 5

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They're playing the Jets. I'll actually be disappointed if we don't see at least 5
They play down to their opponents, so Jets will actually win this game.

Also Stallion I think you and I should just not be permitted on Smogon for the first 24 hours after our two teams play each other. One of us is always too mad.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
They play down to their opponents, so Jets will actually win this game.

Also Stallion I think you and I should just not be permitted on Smogon for the first 24 hours after our two teams play each other. One of us is always too mad.
Yeah true lol

Did anyone watch the Raiders at Seattle?
We got off to a horrible start with 3 first quarter turnovers on 3 consecutive drives, but never backed down and ended up almost winning. The final score of 30-26 is telling; we nearly recovered the onside kick that would've made the game winnable. Russell Wilson was also held to 180 yards passing, 75 of which were to Marshawn.

Still winless but I don't care, I'm proud of how the Raiders played this weekend at the hardest away stadium in the league.

DetroitLolcat

The Dolphins are the most slept-on team in the league. Their defense is lights-out and Tannehill on a good day is scary to play against. Only problem is that half the time Tanny decides to shit the bed. If he plays well, they can beat anyone on any given day. I think the Dolphins will win the AFC East because they are by far the most complete team in the division. As of right now, they have the tiebreaker over the Patriots too. I would not be surprised to see them play in the AFC title game.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
The Dolphins are the most slept-on team in the league. Their defense is lights-out and Tannehill on a good day is scary to play against. Only problem is that half the time Tanny decides to shit the bed. If he plays well, they can beat anyone on any given day. I think the Dolphins will win the AFC East because they are by far the most complete team in the division. As of right now, they have the tiebreaker over the Patriots too. I would not be surprised to see them play in the AFC title game.
At Detroit, at Denver, vs Baltimore, and at New England. You're immensely optimistic if they're coming out of that stretch 2-2, more likely 1-3, and not improbable that they go 0-4 during that stretch. Already at 3 losses that puts them at a 9-7 or 10-6 team. You really think the Patriots are going to be beat out by that? That they would lose 4 or 5 of their last 7?

The Dolphins look Great, but to win the division they'll probably have to beat the patriots at home in a few weeks.

Tom Brady has won 42 straight games at home against AFC teams.

And The patriots Team that the Dolphins beat in week 1 is Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnng gone now.

Browner was suspended, the entire interior Oline is different, Gronk is healthy, Lafell has emerged and Tom Brady is playing at a higher level than any QB not named Roethlisberger.

The Dolphins are in the drivers set for a wildcard tho.

Even if the Giants lose this sunday i'm not ready to give up yet. At 3-6 they could win the final seven games and become the fluky team of the year like the crappy skins of 2012 and the mediocre chargers of 2013. I bELIeve.

DetroitLolcat

Even if the Giants lose this sunday i'm not ready to give up yet. At 3-6 they could win the final seven games and become the fluky team of the year like the crappy skins of 2012 and the mediocre chargers of 2013. I bELIeve.
and the Really Good Broncos of 2011!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)