move 3: Hydro Pump/Surf
move 4: Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Grass]
ability: Swift Swim
item: White Herb
evs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
nature: Timid/Modest

Moves
========

• Shell Smash immediately gives Gorebyss +2 Speed, Special Attack, and Attack. This move needs to be on every Gorebyss. It gives her an immediate offensive presence, and the ability to pass the boosts is amazing.
  • Baton Pass works in conjunction with Shell Smash, allowing Gorebyss to pass boosts to teammates when she cannot beat the Pokemon in front of her, or when Gorebyss has already run through a significant portion of the opposing team. Also can be used to keep momentum.
  • Hydro Pump/Surf: Do you want power? Use Hydro Pump. If you don't want to miss and waste boosts: Use Surf. Basically this is personal preference of useful STAB.
  • Ice Beam allows Gorebyss to beat grass types and Dragalge.
  • Hidden Power [Grass] allows Gorebyss to beat Seismitoed and Feraligatr.

Set Details
========

• Max Special Attack and Speed is pretty self explanatory for power and pace.
  • Gorebyss can live a +2 Waterfall and THEN a +2 Aqua Jet from Feraligatr. Powerful. :]
  • White Herb restores the defense drops from Shell Smash. Warning: Only one use per battle.
  • Timid is preferred as you can outspeed the fastest non-scarfed Pokemon in the tier (Modest Accelgor) at +2.

Usage Tips
========

• Send in on a Pokemon you can set up on (ie. Audino, Feraligatr, Metang), and click Shell Smash. Then knock out the opposing Pokemon
  • If they send in a counter, click Baton Pass
  • Don't let Liepard Encore you into Shell Smash

Team Options
========
  • Gorebyss enjoys being able to pass to powerful mixed attackers with Shell Smash.
  • Some common Baton Pass recipients include Electivire and Assault Vest Kangaskhan.
  • Gorebyss should normally be used on offensive teams, as it helps to beat stall by acting as a wall breaker, then Baton Passing into another wall breaker.

All Out Attacker
########
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Hydro Pump/Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power [Grass]
evs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
nature: Timid/Modest

Moves
========

• Shell Smash immediately gives Gorebyss +2 Speed, Special Attack, and Attack. This move needs to be on every Gorebyss. It gives her an immediate offensive presence, and the ability to pass the boosts is amazing.
  • Hydro Pump/Surf: Do you want power? Use Hydro Pump. If you don't want to miss and waste boosts: Use Surf. Basically this is personal preference of useful STAB.
  • Ice Beam allows Gorebyss to beat grass types and Dragalge.
  • Hidden Power [Grass] allows Gorebyss to beat Seismitoed and Feraligatr.

Set Details
========
  • Max Special Attack and Speed is pretty self explanatory for power and pace.
  • Gorebyss can live a +2 Waterfall and THEN a +2 Aqua Jet from Feraligatr. Powerful. :]
  • White Herb restores the defense drops from Shell Smash. Warning: Only one use per battle.
  • Timid is preferred as you can outspeed the fastest non-scarfed Pokemon in the tier (Modest Accelgor) at +2.

Usage Tips
========
  • Set up on choiced or weak (offensively) opponents
  • Use as early game wallbreaker or late game sweeper
  • Remove opposing priority before setting up

Team Options
========

• Make sure to have Pokemon that can take out bulky offensive Pokemon (Kangaskan, Gurdurr).
  • It's also normally important to run Gorebyss on offense or balance, as it cannot perform its role on stall.

Other Options
########
  • Amnesia, Barrier, Aqua Ring as alternate Baton Pass options. Meh.
  • Specs in the Rain if you're a lord. Lets it wall break

Checks & Counters
########

If Lacking Ice Beam:
**Dragalge** Can live any hit and phaze with Dragon Tail
**Vileplume** Can live any one hit and put something to sleep or kill with Giga Drain
**Ludicolo** Completely walls Gorebyss and can kill with Giga Drain
**Grass Types** Wall the coverage of water/grass
If Lacking Hidden Power [Grass]:
**Seismitoed** Completely walls, but cannot phaze Gorebyss.
**Feraligatr** Feraligatr generally wins the matchup (especially if already at +2)
In General:
**Assault Vest Kangaskhan** Fake Out + Sucker Punch shenanigans, as well as being able to live any one hit and retaliating with Frustration/Double Edge.
**Gurdurr** Can live any one hit and retaliate with Drain Punch
**Liepard** Can Encore into Shell Smash
**Jynx** Is a check, and can kill with Psychic or put to sleep with Lovely Kiss

Last edited:
Specs set in OO since a lot of rain teans use byss as a wall softener for ludicolo/omastar to sweep later in the game. I believe a specs hydro in the rain from 252 modest gorebyss can almost ohko 0/128 yama. Also specs isn't shell smash so I guess it can work as A lure to liepard and other anti sweeper shit

Specs isnt shell smash so is immediately cool :)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I am not quite convinced by Hydro Pump first slash. I've almost never needed that much power, but I've always appreciated not missing. I understand XY NU has bunch of stuff like Assault Vesters and Hariyama and other specially bulky mons around and those can tank a neutral Surf and kill you back. So the power can potentially come in handy. The question is: When does it come in handy? What prominent threats can you bypass with Hydro Pump that you otherwise can't beat with just Surf? Are there any particular OHKOs you reach with SR? 2HKOs?

The point isn't about whether Hydro Pump or Surf is better. QC will probably tell you which is better and they most definitely know more damage calcs than I do. It's that you should tell us readers more than generic 'more damage'. If the damage increase is not relevant, Hydro Pump is clearly the inferior choice, so you should say whether it's relevant or irrelevant. If you say, oh, Hydro Pump lets me OHKO X, Y, and Z but Surf barely misses the OHKO, great! Now people will understand the reason one will pick Hydro Pump over Surf. If they need help with those mons, they might risk it and pick Hydro Pump. If there really isn't anything major that Hydro Pump gives you, then it shouldn't really be your main choice.

Last edited:
Smash Pass
########
name: Smash Pass
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Scald
move 4: Substitute / Ice Beam
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

I think the Smash Pass set should look more like this, except for the EV spread, where I haven't checked wht the optimal one is. But Hydro Pump / Surf seem pretty useless, since you usually wont try to sweep with it, so you might as well hax with Scald. Substitute is also pretty cool, as it can let you set up on some Ferroseed without getting para'd. The Goomy i havent checked the rest of the analysis yet, but I wonder what people think of this set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)